Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

cuc posted:

The good news is instead of drawing everything in MSPaint, You only need to MSPaint over this concept art taken from wikia.

Wow, that's super handy. I'm going to use that, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 3: West Side Update

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2, where we’re in the center of town, De Saint-Coquille Park, and we’re about to find out what this bulletin board is for.

: Yeah.

: Now that you’re settling in, I’d better teach you about this bulletin board.

: Yeah, what’s it used for?

Yes, we are being tutorial ambushed.

: Well, if someone has a problem, needs some help, or if they’re just lonely or bored, they can just leave a note! We all check it from time to time. That way, we can help each other out! Isn’t it a nice custom?

The Bulletin Board, basically, functions as a sidequest generator, as much as you can call anything in RF2 a “side-quest”. There is a “main quest” but we won’t be seeing it for quite a while.

: Yeah, it is!

: Be sure to take a look at the board every now and then. You never know if someone’s left a note for you! Once you start to make friends with everyone in town, you’ll get lots of notes!

Yeah, friendship is actually a bit more substantial of a mechanic in this game than in RF1, because it unlocks more bulletin board quests.

: Good advice. I’ll remember that.

: After you accept one of the requests, you’ll need to talk to the person who made the request. The description of each request says who it’s from. If you’re ever having trouble finding someone, you should go get a location reading from Alicia.

: A location reading?

Okay Bandan I think you can puzzle this one out for yourself, my man.

: Alicia’s fortunes don’t usually come true, but her weather readings and location readings are always right. It’s amazing.

Alicia, docks, location reading, there we go.

: Thanks!

: Also if you decide that you don’t want to finish a certain request, go back to the bulletin board and select the same request again to cancel it.

: Got it.

Bandan’s input is so valuable in this conversation.

: Who knows? You might even be getting a note from me!

Okay, we’re done. Finally.

Regarding the Bulletin Board quests, I might not complete every single one in this LP, but you’ll certainly be seeing a lot of them. There’s a pretty wide range of them, so it should make further updates a little more interesting.

The Port area south of the park has Alicia, as promised, but we aren’t going to talk to her, because we already did that. Instead, let’s check out the dock itself.

gently caress no don’t-

Welp.

: You can take this boat to Blessia Island from here. Feel free to use the boat whenever you like. But be careful! There are monsters on Blessia Island! If you don’t have a weapon, you should go buy one from Tanya’s shop. Also, if you want to sleep outside of the town, you’ll want to have a sleeping bag.

You might think Mana is being hyperbolic here, and that it’s convenient that we can just buy the tool this time, but I’d like to gesture again at my handy Rune Factory 2 Monkey’s Paw, which is now curling two fingers.

: Um, okay…

: See you later! And remember to buy sleeping bags!

Blessia Island is one of the dungeons in this game, and they’re handled very differently than in the last game. For instance, we have all four of them available to us right now! We’ll be checking out Blessia Island soon enough, but for now, I’m just headed back to the square.

There’s another character here! And she has more to do than just chat, apparently.

: Oh, I’m Bandan.

: The name’s Yue! I’m a traveling merchant!

Yue here is like Ivan from the last game, but more frequently available, more marriageable, and less secretly-your-brother.

: All right. I’ll have to take a look sometime.

: I know the prices seem too low, but I promise I’m not losing any money on it. Just pretend you’ve tricked me, and buy everything you want.

: Uh...O-okay…

Yue’s inventory is filled with jewelry, food items, and all sorts of other things you might want, but she charges ridiculous amounts for them. It’s worth noting that the Price on the bottom screen is how much this costs to buy from Yue, and the one up top is how much we’d get if we sold it back.

That’s not a great ratio.

Bandan is far too poor for that, so we’re going to go bask in the wealth aura of this mansion.

Okay. Okay. Let’s just break this down.

Pros: Silly Glasses
His Hair
His Cool Suit

Cons: No goofy grin at all times
No silly hat
Has not implied he once tried to eat a tank

I’m not as sold on this one.

Okay, there’s the grin, that’s not bad.

I’d like to note that Alicia basically just walked in the door and yelled “gently caress THE BOURGEOISIE”

: Alicia, they’ll hear you!

: I don’t care if they do! You must be quite the cook to handle all that at once.

: I’ve gotten used to it, that’s all. Did you need something today, Alicia?

: I have a door-to-door fortune telling service. Rosalind is one of my best customers, and I go where the money is!

Well, let’s chat with the mansion residents.

This first one might be familiar to some of you.

This is our only returning character from RF1, Cecilia! She got lost in a cave and accidentally cursed the mayor’s daughter with a magic rock, if you need that refresher.

: I’m Bandan, nice to meet you.

: You’re not from around here, are you?

: No, I’m working on Mana’s farm.

: Who’s Donnel?

: Oh, I’m sorry… You see, I used to live in a town called Kardia a long time ago, and this guy a lot like you came to our town. He helped me out when I got lost, and other things like that. I have a lot of good memories of him…

: Ah, I see.

: Listen to me, going on about ancient history like that! Anyway, this is a nice place, too. I hope you feel at home here.

: Thanks, me too!

Cecilia here is another marriage candidate. We’ve met all but one now.

: Nice to meet you. My name is Bandan.

: My name’s Max. I’m second in charge of the de Sainte-Coquille family.

: Uh, okay.

: By the way, what’s your name?

: (Uh, I just told you, but…) My name is Bandan.

: Bandan, huh? Now that’s a name I can remember! My name’s Max. Don’t forget it, now!

: Okay.

: Here, I’ll tell you again, so you don’t forget. I’m Max. Max de Sainte-Coquille, okay? One more time, so you don’t forget!

: Yes, yes! I got it! Max!

: What are you so mad about?

: I’m not mad at all...Sorry, but I’ve got to go…

Max is actually pretty great, but here’s the one you were probably looking forward to.

: Nice to meet you, sir. My name is Bandan.

: Ah, you’re the one who’s new in town, right? This is a little out of the blue, but do you like cooking, Bandan?

: Cooking? Well, not that much, to be honest…

: Oh! You’re missing out on the best part of life!

: O-Okay...Got it…

: Good! Please start learning more about cooking tomorrow! Also, if you find anything tasty, please let me try it! I’ll be waiting!

: O-Okay…

Most of Herman’s requests will be food related, which is unsurprising. He’s still no Jasper.

Here’s Rosalind, but we already met her.

: Do you know much about the layout of Alvarna, Bandan? I can explain it to you, if you’d like.

Sorry, Rosalind, I’m the LPer here. Come back after you’ve developed a tolerance for suffering and endless image URLs.

:smuggo:

The next building has more borrowed assets from RF1, it’s the Inn!

: “Sir”? He’s just a human! You don’t need to fawn over him!

How did you get over here so fast?

: Aww…

But you already...okay.

: Have a good day, Ceci.

Jake and Cecilia both walk out, so we’re left with just this guy.

: Nice to meet you. My name’s Bandan. How did you know that I was a traveler?

: Ahh, well, I smell the wind of a different land on you. It’s the Sylphs, whispering to me.

: The Sylphs?

: The spirits of the wind. They cannot be seen by humans.

: You’re not a human?

This is the second elf character in these games to hide their ears beneath a cool hat.

: Oh, really?

: Indeed. This is a nice town. The spirits of the land are strong.

: I see…

: Well, I hope you enjoy your time here, Bandan. It was very nice meeting you.

: Very nice meeting you, too.

Egan is pretty dull. Thankfully, we won’t need to interact with him much. The Inn isn’t a super important area.

The third building on this side is the Church, so let’s check that out.

Oh my god this LP got deep

: How do you know for sure?

: Come on now, Barrett. Don’t you think that other people have the right to believe in a higher power, even if you don’t?

: All right, let’s say someone’s being attacked, and they’re too weak to defend themselves. Is your god gonna to (sic) step in and save them?

Gordon, as you might expect, is up there with Douglas and Tanya.

: Whatever. You’re just avoiding my questions. I’m outta here.

: Um...Well...Is-is it...nice today?

: Why don’t you go outside and see for yourself?

: R-right…

Barrett angrily stomped away, so let’s see what Dorothy’s about.

: Whoa, hey, hold on! Why are you running away? I’m not that scary, am I?

: Um… Well… I...I...haven’t really talked to boys before…

: It’s okay. I understand. My name is Bandan. What’s your name?

: M-My name…? Well...it’s...It’s...Goodbye!

: Goodbye? That’s quite a unique name! Seriously, though, just relax, and say your name…

: R-Relax...O-Okay...M-My name’s...Dorothy…

Transcribing this character’s dialogue is as fun as it looks.

: Nice to meet you, Dorothy.

: Y-yes...Nice...to meet you...too...G-Goodbye!

: (Man, she is one shy girl…)

Dorothy is the last of the marriageable characters. I’ll get that vote and post set up soon, so you can choose if you want to saddle me with Dorothy’s endless ellipsis forever.

Anyway, let’s move on.

: R-Really? Are you a warrior?

: A warrior? Look at how I’m dressed. I’m obviously a priest! Ba ha ha ha! “Thou shalt not kill.” I’m strictly a pacifist now!

: I...I see… So, what happened to the dragon?

: I sent him all the way back to the Forest of Beginnings!

The Forest of Beginnings/First Forest is the place where monsters come from in the Rune Factory-verse, and if you kill them with weapons they go back. Maybe. You might need an enchantment or something? It’s not entirely clear.

What matters is that Gordon punched a dragon back to an alternate world.

: (H-He doesn’t sound like a pacifist at all!)

: By the way, I don’t think I’ve seen you around here before...Did you just move here?

: Yes. My name’s Bandan. I’m borrowing the farmland just outside of town.

: Ah! You mean Douglas’ place?

: You know Douglas?

: Course I do! For as long as I can remember, we’ve been rivals! Everyone in town is always trying to guess which one of us is stronger!

: Y-You don’t say…

: That’s right! Anyway, remember to come to church on holidays, Bandan! I’ll warn you now, if you fall asleep during one of my sermons, I’ll send you to Heaven early! Ba ha ha ha!

: Y-Yes, sir!

Sadly, there’s not too much use of the Church in this game, and thus not nearly enough use of Gordon.

There’s an easily missed character here, you have to go in the door behind Gordon into the church’s back room.

We actually did run into Cammy before, in Natalie’s office, but she didn’t stick around.

: Hey there! My name is Bandan! What’s your name?

: I’m Cammy! So, where are you from?

: Well, I’m not really sure myself…

: What?! You don’t know where you’re from? That’s weird!

: Heh, yeah, it is kinda weird, huh?

Bandan is remarkably chill about this.

: Well, whatever! I’ll forgive you, cuz you’re handsome!

: Heh heh, thanks!

: My house is the church! Stop by anytime!

: Will do!

Probably won’t.

At long last, we come to our final, westmost building.

Oh boy, more of this character.

: Don’t you dare speak to your father like that!

: Shut up! Just leave me alone!

Annnnd he leaves again.

: Ah, you must be the new fellow staying on Douglas’ farm. Welcome to our humble town!

: Thank you for having me. My name’s Bandan.

: I’m Byron, the mayor of this town. I hope you will enjoy living with us.

: Thank you. I hope I can come to be friends with everyone living here.

: This town may be small, but it’s a peaceful, vibrant place. I hope you’ll grow to like living here!

: I’m sure I will!

Unfortunately, we’ll probably have to.

: That would be nice.

: Things haven’t been going so well between me and him recently, to be honest. We just seem to end up arguing about everything.

I agree.

: Anyway, I’m expecting big things from you, Bandan! Try to bring that farm back to life!

: Yes, sir!

: Ah, one other thing! There’s a Lost and Found on the first floor of my house here. If you lose anything important, you should take a look there. You might get it back!

: Sounds good! Thank you!

With that, we’ve explored the whole town. However, there’s also this gate on the West side of town, and we’re still missing a few characters. Let’s see if we can’t fix that.

That gate leads to Cherry Blossom Square, where we had the intro, and Barrett hangs out.

: Hi, my name’s Bandan!

: Oh.

: Umm...What’s your name?

: Barrett.

: Anything else you need?

: N-No. Nothing at all…

And then Bandan ran away very quickly. For the last villager, I had to hunt around.

Turns out he’s at Sharper Edge, which I probably should have guessed, since he works here.

: Nice to meet you! I’m Bandan.

: I don’t remember asking your name, human.

: Uh, sorry about that…

: But since you told me your name, you might as well know mine. I’m Jake.

Jake’s here to bring Fantasy Racism into the plot, which has...never been a factor before and I don’t know if it ever is again.

: Uh, no! Not at all!

: Good.

And that’s every last character in town introduced. Next time, we’ll actually start playing this game, and then the LP will be good!

The LP will be readable.

The lp will exist.

Thanks to cuc for making me aware this map of Alvarna existed so I could put labels on it! Here’s the town we’ve been exploring for the past two updates.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I always think it's vaguely amusing that the towns include a church and a bathhouse. Like, that is not really a common combo anywhere back in the day I'd think...

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
You'd think it was a bit of an anachronism based on Japanese bathing customs. Then again, a fair bit of the aesthetic of the Rune Factory games seems to be borrowed from late-medieval Germany, which did (and does) indeed have quite a few hot springs and public bath houses that were in use in that period and most likely would have been a stone's throw from the nearest church. Reference: http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/baths.html as well as several personal visits to hot springs at Baden-Baden and Karlovy Vary.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I always think it's vaguely amusing that the towns include a church and a bathhouse. Like, that is not really a common combo anywhere back in the day I'd think...

It strikes me as a lot more reasonable than "every town has a derelict farm whose proprietress gives to the first amnesiac that wanders into town"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TurnipFritter posted:

It strikes me as a lot more reasonable than "every town has a derelict farm whose proprietress gives to the first amnesiac that wanders into town"

I love how this critical plot conceit gets even more ridiculous with each installment in the series.

As for Jake the Horribly Insecure Halfbreed... uh, maybe Tabitha and now Cecilia being elven servants is supposed to subtly imply racism? I dunno, I always found RF elves to be the among the least odious kind in fiction, being basically long-lived humans with pointy ears without the usual arrogance for the privileged ones or the self-pity of the put-upon ones. Jake is pretty much the exception, and that's just because he's a dick.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

As for Jake the Horribly Insecure Halfbreed... uh, maybe Tabitha and now Cecilia being elven servants is supposed to subtly imply racism? I dunno, I always found RF elves to be the among the least odious kind in fiction, being basically long-lived humans with pointy ears without the usual arrogance for the privileged ones or the self-pity of the put-upon ones. Jake is pretty much the exception, and that's just because he's a dick.

There's squint-hard-enough-and-you'll-see-it suggestions in RF4 that things between humans and elves (and dwarves) aren't always hunky dory, but you basically have to be looking with the intent of making an issue out of things. And then RF3 just has Communist Monster Racism instead, I guess.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LordHippoman posted:

Jake’s here to bring Fantasy Racism into the plot, which has...never been a factor before and I don’t know if it ever is again.

Fantasy Racism is actually a central plot point in RF3, if I'm understanding things correctly.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

I think there's just a league of them who run some kind of crazy international scheme.

KataraniSword posted:

There's squint-hard-enough-and-you'll-see-it suggestions in RF4 that things between humans and elves (and dwarves) aren't always hunky dory, but you basically have to be looking with the intent of making an issue out of things. And then RF3 just has Communist Monster Racism instead, I guess.

Yeah, seeing more of RF3 with Haifisch's LP, that does seem to be a more prominent thing. The Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Whatever Sharron Was seem to be pretty amicable, at least in the first two games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eh, you know how it is. Even if there's no crushing societal ill oppressing them, teens are likely to create one.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I got this game for free when I bought a DS on ebay, knew absolutely nothing about it going into it but I enjoyed it quite a lot; to the point that I briefly considered LPing it. Especially after all the other Rune Factory LPs started popping up here. Gotta say, the gameFAQ for this game isn't too bad. It does have some things wrong I can't recall off the top of my head, but it was generally helpful.

All that being said, I wanted to marry Rosalind on my first playthrough. It... took a while. Especially because I learned how you semi-cheese getting her love points up quicker too late.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

E-flat posted:

Gotta say, the gameFAQ for this game isn't too bad. It does have some things wrong I can't recall off the top of my head, but it was generally helpful.

Oh, yeah, I do have walkthroughs and such I can consult, sorry if I implied that. What I meant by not having much information is that, like, RF1 has an entire very throrough site with the detailed stats on like, everything in the game, but RF2 doesn't have that dedicated a following.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, yeah, I do have walkthroughs and such I can consult, sorry if I implied that. What I meant by not having much information is that, like, RF1 has an entire very throrough site with the detailed stats on like, everything in the game, but RF2 doesn't have that dedicated a following.

That's more attributing to the fact that RF1 wasn't seen as "an entry in the Rune Factory series", instead being taken as "a spinoff of the Harvest Moon series". In turn, the huge English-speaking HM fan site put all their effort into documenting everything like they do with HM games. When it became a series, Ushi no Tane rapidly lost interest in the games.

If I recall, same thing happened with Legend of the River King.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Oh boy, thank you for LPing this game, LordHippoman. I followed the RF1, and its been so long since I've played RF2 it'll be great(?) to see it again. Granted I only played through it once, and that was to marry Cecilia but the thread will get to the voting later. Bookmarked for sure!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I haven't been here in a while. Let's follow this. :)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

That's more attributing to the fact that RF1 wasn't seen as "an entry in the Rune Factory series", instead being taken as "a spinoff of the Harvest Moon series". In turn, the huge English-speaking HM fan site put all their effort into documenting everything like they do with HM games. When it became a series, Ushi no Tane rapidly lost interest in the games.

If I recall, same thing happened with Legend of the River King.

That would make a lot of sense. I was using Fogu pretty comprehensively for RF1, but they have very little on this game, like you mentioned.

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Oh boy, thank you for LPing this game, LordHippoman. I followed the RF1, and its been so long since I've played RF2 it'll be great(?) to see it again. Granted I only played through it once, and that was to marry Cecilia but the thread will get to the voting later. Bookmarked for sure!

I remember that, you posted a lot of good stuff from the Prima guide, right? Thanks for that, and hopefully you enjoy this one as well.

Darth TNT posted:

I haven't been here in a while. Let's follow this. :)

Much appreciated, and welcome back!

All the shots for the next update are already done, it just takes a while because ugh, manually transcribing everything is a hell of a thing. I'll drop the marriage poll soon as well, I'd like to say "so we can get a better chance to meet the candidates" but you've pretty much seen everyone's personality already. The villagers in RF2 aren't exactly fountains of character.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

All the shots for the next update are already done, it just takes a while because ugh, manually transcribing everything is a hell of a thing.

:catstare: why are you doing it manually? Don't do it manually. There's a lot of free OCR tools out there these days. Have you tried this? http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Automatically_Transcribe_Text_from_Screenshots

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Solumin posted:

:catstare: why are you doing it manually? Don't do it manually. There's a lot of free OCR tools out there these days. Have you tried this? http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Automatically_Transcribe_Text_from_Screenshots

I've given it a try, but I'm pretty useless at working with the command line, and most online OCRs I could find don't operate with batches, in which case it's still pretty unwieldy and slow. I might have to look around for more program recommendations that aren't command line based, though.

I'm going to play around with Capture 2 Text, probably, see if that gets me somewhere.

EDIT: it does not like the rune factory font, whoops. If anyone can find an OCR that does, or, hell, a transcription with contact info so I can ask the poster for permission, please do let me know, but I made it through all of RF1 manually, I'll probably survive this one too.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 3, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 4: Bandan The Bulletin Boy

Now that Bandan has met everyone in town, he should probably proceed to the next crucial step, solving all of their problems for them.

Well. Seems pretty empty right now, but Mana’s extended her tutorial claws into us again. Might as well take care of that.

She rarely, if ever, leaves PARTS, so she’s not hard to find.

: Okay, I want to request a delivery. Can you take this EMERY FLOWER to Rosalind?

: EMERY FLOWER to Rosalind. Okay, got it.

: She asked for it ASAP, but I have my hands full here. I’ll pay you 100G. Thanks for your help!

If you were really into RF1, you might remember these as Mist’s favorite flowers, and ones that take an entire year to grow.

: That’s a very rare flower, actually, so don’t give it to someone else, or throw it away! If you happen to lose it by mistake, go back to the bulletin board and select “Cancel Request.”

Thankfully, this game’s sidequests have a failsafe system, so they’re less frought with peril than the original game’s affairs.

: Yep!

: Wonderful! Now you can give it to me.

:stare: Alright, Rosalind.

The “toss” indicator on the A button changes to “give” when you’re in position to give an item to a person, fixing another of RF1’s minor annoyances. This game does a lot of that, but sorta fails to address the biggest problems.

: Ah, this is the EMERY FLOWER I asked Mana to give me. Thank you for delivering it to me, Bandan. Also, remember to tell that Mana (sic) I said thanks, all right?

I trust you won’t mind if I cut the run back.

This is pretty much nothing, just FYI.

That’s real creepy, Mana.

: Y-you really think so?

Well, I don’t like talking to her, let’s shift over a bit.

:discourse:

: Hello, Douglas.

: You like this place, kid? I love it. Mana does, too.

Douglas sells all the items at the General Store.

Seeds are bought in packs of 9 this time around, but you can cut them into stacks if you want less. The “Growth” of a Seed references how many days of watering it’ll take to finish growing.

Douglas also sells Fur Sleeping Bags, which are, unfortunately, only one use in this game, so you’ll need to restock if you want more. They allow you to sleep and recover HP/RP in dungeons.

We can’t use Monster Feed yet, but it’ll be useful soon enough.

They also sell cooking ingredients and Fried Eggs. I’m not sure why. I didn’t buy anything here because Bandan is dirt poor. Gonna have to change that soon. And there’s one good way to do that, courtesy of our new friend Alicia…

Let’s go where the money is. The bulletin board is also suddenly populated.

(You can only have one Request active at a time, by the way. So no helping Doug yet.)

Hard Time seems like a bit of an exaggeration for “I would like a grass”.

: Ahh. really? You’re a lifesaver. Okay, let me tell you about what I need. You know of Trieste Forest, right? It’s the dungeon to the east of Alvarna-Falling Star Path. Well, if you go into Trieste Forest-Spring Clearing and walk forward a little bit, the road splits off in two directions.

(holy crap rosalind get on with it)

: you should take the path on your right. Once you do that, you should be able to find a flower called a LAMP GRASS right under your feet. Please pick that flower and then bring it back here.

This is a step up from what Mana pays.

: Okay, thank you so much.

Before we go, since the villagers don’t move on the first day, Alicia is still loitering in the lobby.

Maybe later. The path north of the farm leads to the crossroads, so Bandan’s going to hurry and get this done! No more distractions.

Dammit.

: Messhina Valley is to the left, and the Padova Mountains are straight ahead. Also, you can’t get to it from here, but if you go to the port in the south of town, you can get to Blessia Island.

: Really? Great! Those sound like neat places!

: No! There are monsters in all of those places! It’s not safe like it is inside the town!

Normally this is good advice, but the Lamp Grass isn’t far into Trieste Forest, and we do have that Fireball book in case of emergencies.

: Ah, okay! Thanks for the advice, Mana!

The signs before each dungeon tell you what kinds of vegetables grow there. Not only does this let you grow out of season crops, it’s pretty handy, since veggies being grown in dungeons don’t need to be watered every single day.

All four dungeons have a difficulty level on the signs outside. The Spring Dungeon, Trieste Forest here, is the easiest, in terms of monsters that appear inside.

These weird little purple cones serve as save points. Not much else to say about that.

Now that we’ve entered the dungeon, we’re immediately jumped by, uh, an apple monster. You might note that each room in a dungeon has a title, which is helpful for me, so I don’t have to call everything “the backwards L” or “the loopy room”.

These are Rino’s, or Pomme Pomme’s, depending on your translation. I like the second one better. Anyway, the apple boys will nonthreateningly hop slowly at you, or roll rapidly towards you, dealing little damage.

They don’t much like being shot with Fireballs. Fireball is just a simple, quick projectile that fires in a line. There’s not a ton I can say about it. It’s Fire elemental, but you could probably guess that.

Anyway, the glass is literally almost right next to the starting point. I appreciate the directions, Rosalind, but they were a little much.

The Lamp Grass apparently sells for...8700 G. Holy poo poo. That’s over quadruple what Rosalind’s paying!

Unfortunately, you cannot sell it. Yue wouldn’t take it.

Well, second best outcome it is, I guess.

: It’s very calming. Did you know that the scent of this flower can even cure insomnia?

: It can? I didn’t know that. (Is she having rouble sleeping?)

She’s totally selling this on a black market somewhere.

: Yes it can. Well then, here is your payment. Please take it.

We’re rich. Semi-rich.

That’s really nice Rosalind, but I need to go buy some essentials.

Now we can become a real man, by buying a sword.

Actually, we’ve got some choices, which will handily demonstrate the available weapon types in this game!

The Rods boost your magic power via upping the Intellect stat, but they don’t do melee damage worth a poo poo. That’s nice if you want to be a wizard, but since RP is such a valuable resource, I don’t really like doing that.

The Battle-Axes do some great damage, but they’re pretty slow and unwieldy.

Warhammers are like that, but even slower and more unwieldly. They do knockback, though.

Spears have great range and some decent combo potential, but they have no arc on their attacks, so they kinda suck when dealing with multiple targets, and don’t do a ton of damage.

Consider the two-handed swords the most Average of weapons. They’re pretty decent all around.

The shortswords are the weakest in terms of damage, but they more than make up for it by being fast as hell. Like in RF1, I think these are my favorites.

Goodbye, money, but hello, actual weapon.

Time to test it out on those Pomme Pommes. This weapon has a four hit combo.

The first three are horizontal swipes, but the last is a lunge that propels you forwards a bit. You’re probably wondering what that green portal up there is, so let’s address that.

These are enemy spawners, like the Shifts of old. If this stays up, it will constantly respawn the enemies as you kill them. So they’re usually first priority. They don’t stay destroyed when you leave the room this time, though, but they also aren’t required for progression anymore.

Dispatching the Pomme Pommes is easy, especially when your weapon decides to proc a Stun. Stun works how it does in roughly any other game ever.

Also, rewards! Sometimes enemies will drop items, and this happens at a much greater rate than the last game. Alvarna monsters are much more generous with the drops.

Unsurprisingly, they drop apples.

With the enemies dispatched, Bandan’s free to eat plants out of the dirt in the middle of the room. These Medical Herbs are ridiculously handy early on, as we’ve only got 100ish HP, and they restore…

Thirty. Not bad. We could use that plot of soil to plant crops, but I don’t have any on me. Ah well, moving on.

The only exit we can access from that room, at the moment, is the north one, leading to Aegis Falls.

If you’ve got sharp eyes, you might notice another exit, but it’s currently blocked. And it will be. For loving ages. The way dungeons are handled in this game is...interesting.

Surprise, it’s an old pal! The Orc Archer is just as much of a chump this time as he was last time. He fires projectiles, somewhat infrequently, and they’re pretty slow. Easy dodging.

He’s also a good foe to try out our Skill Seal on. In case you forgot, we got this from Tanya, and it’s like a spell you can use by hitting the Y button with a specific weapon equipped. This one, Power Wave, is for Shortswords, and it sends out a ranged shockwave at the cost of a little RP.

It also tends to stun. So that’s cool.

Another interesting feature of RF2 is the new thing in this screenshot. Not the statue in the lower left, we literally can’t do anything with that yet, the blue flower.

If you slice it with a weapon, it drops a Rune!

They restore a little bit of RP. Not bad, and pretty nice for those quick refreshes mid-dungeon. Again, another nice touch that makes Magic a bit more viable.

There’s another spawner in the northeast part of the room. Worth mentioning is that each spawner isn’t keyed to a specific monster, you might see different kinds from the same spawner on repeat visits.

These are, uh, Ants. I think they can Paralyse you, but that doesn’t matter too much since their only attack is a slow and easily avoidable melee.

While taking this one down, Bandan got his first Skill Up!

Thankfully, all Weapon Types share a skill tree, so you don’t have to worry about maxing your Spears or Two-Handed or whatever.

Bandan ain’t looking too hot, though, so it’s time to run home. Don’t worry about that lightning, it’ll be fine.

See? Fine. Time to sleep.

It’s a new day in Alvarna, and our seeds are ready for a second watering.

Seems like a good time to take a second request as well. Here’s the one from Douglas we couldn’t take earlier, thanks to already being on Rosalind’s.

Unfortunately, you wake up at 6:00...earlier than this, so I guess we’ll just have to wait before barging into Douglas’ shop/house.

Guess we’ll chat up the passerby.

: How are you liking Alvarna?

: It feels nice now that everything has settled down.

: Ah, so you like it? Great! I hope you get used to life around here quickly!

: Are you going to live here forever, Bandan?

He’s not a morning person.

Finally, though, it is Doug Time.

: I want you to go bring me a BULL HORN from Trieste Forest-Spring Clearing. Tanya’s got her eye on it. I’ll give you 100G in return.

Another lovely reward, but...Douglas.

...Douglas. It was right here. C’mon. I didn’t even hit the enemies.

And so, Bandan ran back to town waving it over his head.

The whole way.

: A promise is a promise. Here ya go.

Well, that’s enough of that. Doing these little requests for paltry rewards might look a little pointless, but it unlocks later sidequests from those characters, so they are worth doing.

Let’s fit one more into this update.

This one’s from Tanya. Sorry, I’ll be less crop-happy with the board in the future.

: What? A trial…?

: I see…

: Hmmm. You don’t sound very interested. Now listen. You’re going into the forest and you’re going to fight monsters. If you’re going to live around here, then you’ll find you need go into the forests every now and then to fight some monsters! With your current pathetic sword skills, those monsters will tear you apart! Shred you! Rend you! Send you off to the a-f-t-e-r-l-i-f-e!

: Uhh...don’t you think you’re exaggerating a little?

Swordmom is the best.

: You don’t want to die, now do you? So you need to become stronger in order to protect yourself. In other words, improving your skills as a swordsman is s-u-p-e-r important.

: Even the best sword is a waste of metal in the hands of the unskilled fighter! It’s obvious to me that you can’t handle yourself yet. Obvious to any monster who sees you, too. I don’t want to sell any of my swords to someone who can’t use them! So these trials are also a test by me to see if you are worthy of the best swords I can make.

: Okay. I think I see where this is going.

: Good. Don’t forget that. I’m glad you understand. Let’s get started, then.

I’m not sure if “shall we shall” is some weird Tanya-speak or just a typo, but the smart money is on the latter.

: Okay, how about you defeat 5 Orcs and then come back to me?

: Defeat 5 Orcs...I understand.

: Trieste Forest is the territory of Orcs. It’s a very violent monster, wielding a large club. Oh, and one last thing.

I’d just like to reiterate that for some reason the devs decided you couldn’t marry Tanya. What the hell, team?

I found the Orcs in question in the Grassy Path area of Trieste Forest. There’s another field here, but mostly, Orcs. Orcs are a bit faster with their attacks than the Ants, but they’re otherwise just a basic melee monster. We have no way to view monster names (yet), so we have to rely on Tanya’s description.

I dunno if I’d call that a “large club”, but hey, what do I know?

The game also tells you once you’ve defeated the right monster. There will be quite a few of these types of quests from Tanya.

With the four hit combo, it usually only takes two rounds to down these guys, and Fireball works as a finisher. Not bad at all.

This was a pretty painless process. Back to town, then.

: Don’t go getting full of yourself, though, having only defeated Orcs. Here’s your reward! 500G.

She pays better than Douglas and Mana. That’s not the main reason I wanted to do this quest, though...

This is.

Hello, old friend.

: Thank you.

The Axe is a farming tool, rather than a weapon (though you can use it as one). It allows you to chop sticks and logs to collect Wood, which is an important resource for quite a few things we’ll be seeing later, one of them awfully familiar to RF1 fans (Don’t worry, not that one.)

We’ve finished a few quests, accquired our first tool, and gotten a look at the first dungeon. Next time...probably more of that sort of thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hey LordHippoman I think I have an easy way for you to automatically extract text from the images. I've only tested it with a couple images though, and it's only designed for normal dialogue boxes, like this:

Which can be transformed into:

From which an OCR tool can get:

quote:

Rosalind

Press the L Button and the A Button
to open the Quick Select: Item menu.
Then press the A Button while Facing
me to give me the item.

Pretty close! Other screenshots are a bit more off (lowercase l and y might give trouble) but better than manually transcribing.
(in fact, if you put in the time to train a tool, you could get really close to perfect results.)
I even saved the character name so you can easily identify who is saying what.

I used gImageReader (https://github.com/manisandro/gImageReader) which uses the Tesseract engine. A bunch of other options that all use that engine may be found here.
You'll also need ImageMagick.

1. Open a cmd.exe window in the directory with all your screenshots in it. I assume every image is 512x384, the size that you've uploaded them as.
2. Let's say all your pictures are named something like "capture_<a whole bunch of numbers>.png". Execute this command:

quote:

magick convert -region 208x19+0+232 -negate +region -crop 475x135+0+232 -threshold 50% -fill white -region 268x30+207+0 -colorize 100 -region 475x18+0+18 -colorize 100 -region 12x117+0+18 -colorize 100 capture_*.png out_*.png
You'll need to change the bolded part if your files are named differently.
3. You'll now have a folder full of images that look like the one above, which are named "out_0.png". (They'll be numbered in order they were processed.)
4. Open up gImageReader, use the folder icon to add all the images, and press the "Recognize All" button.
You'll have a dump of all the text in the images. You'll have to do some proofreading, unfortunately. You might want to run this on just the images that have dialogue boxes, otherwise you'll get a lot of garbled results.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh hey, the 2nd game. Wonder how much this improves upon the first. From what I saw and heard, the leap to RF2 to RF3 was far bigger than RF1 to RF2.

As for a transcription, let me see if I can do the same I did for the current RF3 LP and extract a text dump of the game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I thought you were supposed to be the normal one of your family, Rosalind.

At least when RF3 had people talk about game mechanics, they had an excuse because they are all insane.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alright, extracted the dialogue text dump from the game.

There are a few weird characters in there, such as the sections that represent your own name, and it isn't organized. But it should be far easier to sort through that for dialogue instead of manually transcribing everything yourself.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Alright, extracted the dialogue text dump from the game.

Solumin posted:

Hey LordHippoman I think I have an easy way for you to automatically extract text from the images.

Wow, a huge thank you to both of you. These should make this whole process a lot more painless. Seriously, greatly appreciated.

BlazeEmblem posted:

I thought you were supposed to be the normal one of your family, Rosalind.

At least when RF3 had people talk about game mechanics, they had an excuse because they are all insane.

Rosalind has her own weird hobbies. She's dabbling in some magical science poo poo, but that won't come up for a while, though it's apparently granted her some sort of weird fourth wall awareness.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 4, 2017

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

You better do some more farming in this one than in the last one :argh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

sheep-dodger posted:

Farming is still not very worth it, if memory serves, though in this case it's more because of how the game is set up. There's not much more detail I can go into without heavy spoilers.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Farming is still not very worth it, if memory serves, though in this case it's more because of how the game is set up. There's not much more detail I can go into without heavy spoilers.

I've played the game, and personally I found it worthwhile, if only for the limitless supply of Runes. (plus watering is much easier now)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I actually played this one, but it was so long ago I remember basically nothing of the plot or mechanics. For some reason basically the only fact about the game I remember is that Douglas liked pumpkins, and I remember farming them in the autumn-crops-zone specifically for that purpose. Whether that was an optimal use of my RP or not I've no idea whatsoever, and look forward to seeing how Hippoman does it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Due to the mechanics of this game, Farming isn't really worth it. I mean if you just want to make fat sacks of cash and sit on your pile of money that you can't do anything with thanks to one stupid mechanic of the game, go ahead.
But the draw of this game isn't the farming aspect. Grow stuff in the plots in the 'dungeons', just to have runes to pick up.

At least it's better than the Runey mechanic of Rune Factory Frontier.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

The farming in this game is a fair bit easier than the predecessor, due to the better starting tools and some QoL changes, but less reliance on a very limited RP pool and way shorter dungeons means that it's still not super necessary as you might expect it to be.

Rune Factory 2 is basically sort of in a constant race with itself, where it keeps coming up with good ideas and fixes to RF1's problems and then shooting itself in the foot with a bizarrely bad idea. The big one is still coming up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm a little surprised that you can actually buy an axe and a hammer from the weapon shop but they're not actually an axe or hammer you can use on your farm.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

I'm a little surprised that you can actually buy an axe and a hammer from the weapon shop but they're not actually an axe or hammer you can use on your farm.

They... sort of are. Unless it's a QoL that was added in a later game instead, memory tells me that battle axes can chop branches and war hammers can smash ore rocks... they just can't be charged to destroy stumps/get better ore like the actual tool axes/hammers can.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

They also raise your weapon / mining / logging skills, but not only are they unwieldy, they also cost more RP. Normal farm tools which you get from requests are best. Of course the first time I played this game I did not know this and actually bought the hammer from the shop. It just mostly got me scrap ore.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 5: Please Fund My Bathing

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2, here’s this dickhead. Let’s go do something more productive.

I guess talking to Rosalind counts.

: So something happened at lunch yesterday....My brother brought out some weird exotic utensils... He called.them "chopsticks"... and he tried really hard to use.these chopsticks to eat a salad....and he just looked so funny that I just couldn't help myself and started laughing.

I’m, uh, glad we talked, Rosalind? For some actual progress, I’ll be doing more of the Bulletin Board quests, and picking up an old favorite tool, but for now let’s see what the thread wants.

sheep-dodger posted:

Well, I’m not one to deny those impassioned requests.

So, uh, the shopping interface in RF2 is a little baffling. While these packets of seeds seem to be sold in a group of nine, it’s actually 1480 per packet. So you have to double tap it, drag one off, and…

There we go.

I’m not sure why it’s like this, but Douglas at least does explain it.

Messhina Valley is the first dungeon we’ll be visiting today, but I won’t be staying long.

It’s a bit more deadly than Trieste Forest, but we won’t be in long, and Bandan should come out just fine.

The first room of Messhina Valley is this Riverbank. Much like its spiritual predecessor, Toros Cave, this one is pretty great for farming, with a water source and big farming plot right there!

First off, time to clear it out. These colored grasses are worth saving.

So are these Antidote Herbs. These can heal poison, a status effect that can be inflicted by some monsters, or by touching that purple tile there!

Welp, all done for now.

It’d be a shame not to explore a little bit first, though. Here’s a new friend, stuck on the geometry.

Ah, poo poo, he tricked me! This is a Goblin, and it’ll lunge at you with its sword to do a decent amount of damage and stun. They cover a pretty scary amount of ground, but they’re slow, so abuse that.

I’ll take that.

A fruit bounty lies in the distance, just let me get rid of this Goblin real quick.

Aha. There’s the spawner, on the west end of the room.

Unfortunately, those goblins hit hard, but I’m absolutely loaded up on these Medicinal Herbs, so, not much to worry about there.

And that’s enough of that. Anyway…

The grapes belong to me now.

I took the time to smash these logs while I was here. I’ll be explaining Wood some more later, but first, back to town! We need to get some of this HP back.

Max is here. He does his gimmick.

We didn’t actually get a chance to go into the bathhouse last time, so let’s see what’s going on there.

: No, I haven't seen her. Are you two playing hide-and-seek again?

: Hah hah. You're sure? Hmm. I'd better take a look myself.

Don’t worry, this isn’t that kind of game.

: Hmph. Next time I'll have to tell her that the bathhouse is off-limits.

Wow! The price has surged a bit in this one. Thankfully, 100G is still basically nothing.

:magical:

douglas just buy these grapes off me

Okay, we’re good.

There’s a little cutscene for using the bath this time around.

The most important feature of the bathhouse, however, is easily this. It fully restores your HP and RP. That’s extremely useful!

: How are you liking Alvarna?

: It’s a nice place.

: It is! Especially my bathhouse! Tee-hee!

I wanted to talk to Julia a bit more to try and get some more character out of her, since I’m going to post the marriage poll soon, but it’s sort of a blood from a stone situation.

I spent the rest of the night, and my bath RP, on chopping wood in front of the house. These sticks go down in a single uncharged swing.

The stumps take three fully charged swings.

Oddly enough, you can’t check your Wood count on the pause menu anymore. Now you need to use the Shipping Crate in front of the farm, where you can dump crops to auto-sell them.

As you can see in the top left, we have 165 Wood right now. Sticks are worth 3 Wood, Stumps are 15, a nice buff from the previous game. Wood may not seem too crucial now, but we’ll be begging for it later.

That’s enough for Spring 3, though. Onto another day.

And another mission. This time, it’s for our pugilistic priest, Gordon.

But...he’s not up yet. So let’s kill some time by visiting the Summer Dungeon, Blessia Island.

Away!

This is probably my favorite dungeon in the game, aesthetically. The island looks real neat.

I’m sure none of this is too surprising to you.

As soon as Bandan steps on the beach, though, some dude just jumps him.

These are the Goblin Pirates, who are great because they’re goblins in pirate suits. They really aren’t very different from the normal goblins, they just kinda...dive at you. Eh.

I should also note on this screenshot that the game does pause while you’re using the quick-equip menus in RF2, another nice change from the original.

That pirate had a knitting hobby.

Like the other dungeons, the first room of Blessia Island comes complete with a farming patch and water supply.

Also like the other dungeons, more of these weird things.

:shrug:

The center of the Island (Inventively called “Center) has quite a bit of stuff in it. For example, this lower left corner has a spawner, some Ore Rocks we can’t do anything with (yet), and a new enemy type!

...Oh no Bandan.

Bandan I didn’t even get a chance to introduce it. :magical:

Thankfully we have more spawners. This is a Goblin Gangster, and instead of the lunging stun attack, they can toss their knives for ranged damage. It’s a bit annoying, but nothing to really worry about.

This eastern area is pretty neat visually, with the ancient ruins around, but it doesn’t have too much of interest outside of the spawner.

Also a Save Point. That’s kinda cool, I guess?

Still, most of the passageways through the dungeon remain blocked off to us. Just one room left in here, then, north of this one.

Also, two of those Rune Flowers in the corner. How handy.

Surprise! It’s a shipwreck full of pirates!

I’m going to leave soon but I just wanted to point out this cool little background, Blessia Island is neat. (don’t think about the perspective too much)

It’s times like this I really miss having Escape.

You know that scene in Pirates of the Caribbean 2, where Jack’s running down the beach towards a boat with all those people chasing him? This is like that but with more goblins, less vaguely racist stereotypes, and about an equal amount of disappointing sequel.

After all of those adventures, Gordon’s finally opened up his doors.

: Let me get right to it. I need an AMETHYST. You can find it on.Blessia Island. Just run around busting up rocks around there, and it shouldn't take you too long.

: Just run around...busting up rocks?

: I wish I could do it myself, but…There are lots of aggressive monsters there, right? If I were to get attacked, I couldn't even defend myself. That wouldn't be right of me. I'm a representative of God. Well, I am now, at least. Don't worry, you'll be paid well. What do you think? Just find one and bring it back to me. Do whatever it takes.

: Okay, leave it to me.

gently caress yes

: To mine minerals, you need to use a hammer to smash apart rocks. It can be tiring, but keep at it! Thanks, and good luck!

The Hammer is used to smash rocks and get ore. The more you charge the hammer, the better the chances you get nice rewards from the rocks. It’s useful in crafting, when that...eventually unlocks...but, most importantly, it gets you rich.

Or, it did in RF1. It’s not the infinite money fountain it used to be, but you can still make some decent cash with it. It’s not too fair to compare ANYTHING to mining in RF1.

Then I went to the farm and ate Herbs off the ground to refill my HP.

Look at all this (still very effective) healing dirt-grass!

Anyway, back to Blessia Island for Gordon’s request. I got a Level Up here. I’m not going to screenshot all the “SKILL UP”s this time, so you don’t have to wade through as many screenshots. I’ll give periodic updates on skills, though.

Anyway, I smashed a rock and got this. It’s hard to see, but this is Scrap Iron. It’s pretty worthless.

You can beat monsters with your Hammer. I wouldn’t recommend it, but you can! You do damage with pretty much everything in this game, including the Watering Can.

Here’s a Ruby! A nice prize, but not what we’re after.

And a few rocks later, the real winner. Here’s an Amethyst for Gordon.

But hey, no sense in stopping there. Here’s some Bronze, which is a useful crafting material! Again, once crafting becomes a thing. This is going to sit on the shelf for...a while.

I broke all the rocks, just for the potential earnings. Time to finish the quest, though.

: It looks like it’s all in one piece. Good work, Bandan. Here, take this.

It’s not much of a reward, but the real prize from this is the Hammer.

We’re on a roll!

And I get the feeling this request won’t be too difficult, given what we found on the island.

However, I’m not too sure where Cecilia is. Let’s demo Alicia to find out.

Alicia’s Weather Reading allows you to forecast and actually change the next day’s weather. She’s more powerful than she lets on, I guess? Location Reading will tell you where a villager is, right now, and Love Reading tells you if any bachelorette is above Six Love Points. The maximum, and required for marriage, is 10. I’m not sure why you’d do this when it’s on the pause screen, and she also won’t tell you about Julia for some reason. Probably a bug.

This is the one we want today, though.

This is voice acted.

: Egan is in Eagle Inn 1F, Cecilia is in De Sainte-Coquille Manor 1F, and Jake is in Sharper Edge Blacksmith 1F. No doubt about it! That’ll be 20G.

I probably could have figured that out myself quick enough, but hey, I’m not one to turn down free Friendship/Love Points with Alicia. We might end up marrying her.

Cecilia’s pretty much always here or in the Inn, for what it’s worth.

: So you know I’d like you to go get a RUBY from Trieste Forest- Aegis Falls for me. However, I don’t want you to kill any monsters to get it, okay?

: I can’t kill any monsters?

: That’s right.

: Okay, I’ll see how it goes.

: Best of luck to you.

She will actually call you out if you hurt monsters while you’re going to get this.

Thankfully I just pulled out the Ruby I got from Blessia earlier, where I killed many, many Goblins, and gave it to her, since there’s no check for that!

Honor System.

: What do you mean?

: You seem like the type of person who is meant to tame the land and its monsters.

Oh, hey, it’s that recurring plot point.

: Really? I don’t really know much about that sort of stuff, but…

: Well, I’m sure you’ve got the talent for it!

Oooh. Ooh, this is good.

: What is this?

: t's a glove that will let you.tame monsters. If you equip it, you can pet a monster to show your affection for it. If you show it enough love, it'll become your friend.

: That’s amazing!

Just like last time, we can recruit monster allies to our cause!

You do so by...petting them a bunch while they try and kill you. Yikes. But hey, this is what the Herbs are for!

: But if you show it love, everything will be fine in the end. Oh, but no matter how much love you show it, it won’t befriend you unless you have a barn.

: A barn?

: It's the place where you keep the monsters that you tamed. You need.Mayor Byron's permission in order to build one, though. Try talking to him when he's in his office at his house.

: Got it.

: You’ll also be needing wood if you plan on building a barn. Let me give you a head start on collecting it.

Wow, Cecilia, where were you last game?

Okay, I know where she was, but you get it.

: Thank you.

: Okay, good luck!

Monster collection will be starting soon! But this update’s getting long, so let’s close it off with Herman.

Thanks, Herman.

Monster Naming!

So, each monster I recruit is going to need a name. That’s where the thread comes in! Feel free to suggest names for any and all monsters I encounter, and if I end up taming one of them, I’ll use a name from the thread.

There is a six character limit on names. Keep that in mind. I’ll try to keep an up to date list of monsters we’ve run into in the OP, but for now:

Pomme Pomme
Orc
Orc Archer
Goblin
Goblin Pirate
Goblin Gangster

Happy naming!

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 10, 2017

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Name the goblin pirate Yarrrr

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The way you position your seeds in direct defiance of the grid makes me sad.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The bathhouse intro scene has Ray's face sprite in it, even though Roy is the one saying "the bathhouse is off limits".

And the Amethyst is for Gordan, not for Douglas.

We shall name our Pomme Pomme... something. I mean, I want a pomme pomme.

How about Poison.

Or Orange

Or Apple

Or whatever, really.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The bathhouse intro scene has Ray's face sprite in it, even though Roy is the one saying "the bathhouse is off limits".

And the Amethyst is for Gordan, not for Douglas.

I'm going to make that first mistake again, probably multiple times, and feel no shame for it.

It is fixed now, though, thanks for the catch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A 6x6 plot right in the dungeon intro? Man, how much land do you have on your farm? That's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

We shall name our Pomme Pomme... something. I mean, I want a pomme pomme.

Howsabout we name our Pomme Pomme Bubs? Foh... authenticasity.

• Locked thread