Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

I know you're all going to be very horrible to me for saying this, but have you guys considered that maybe Kingdom Death is not the literal worst?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3VzOayLcYs

you're right, as bad as Kingdom Death is youtube personalities are definitely worse

EDIT: this is a terrible snipe

on-topic, Spirit Island is my wife and I's current obsession because it plays so well as 2p co-op. it has a lot of cool thematic stuff going on, but I am amused by the interaction of the card Gnawing Rootbiters (which sends pest animals drives colonists off) with the special ability of Ocean's Hungry Grasp (which lets you use movement powers to push colonists into the ocean to drown them.) Welp, those loving gophers are back again, better just hurl myself into the ocean

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A boardgame parlor recently opened near me which has been really neat for getting to play things that I wouldn't normally get to play.

We gave Mansions of Madness 2e a shot recently and it seems really cool and good and fun. The second edition makes it players vs an app instead of players vs player. It also does most of the record keeping for you instead of decks of cards which is also cool and good and fun. The problem was my other half hit end turn when she shouldn't have and skipped her entire turn as a result. I was like "okay well let's skip through all this end of turn text and just hit go back" because why wouldn't the game have a redo button?

Turns out it doesn't have a redo button. And the game went into this weird state where nothing was in sync anymore because we didn't pay attention to anything said during the end turn step so we had to pack up and play something else.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mercenarynuker posted:

Holy loving poo poo, what the gently caress. I didn't recall any of that from what we played, just looked it up and what is going on with all the super curvy ladies and cheesecake figures :psypop:

edit: THIS IS AN ACTUAL EXPANSION, WHAT THE gently caress
:nws:A literal penis-headed titboob monster impregnating ladies, what the gently caress:nws:

lmao holy poo poo

it's called a "wet nurse." when was this released? I feel like somebody played bloodborne, fought mergo's wet nurse, thought "this is rad as hell!" and then catastrophically didn't "get" it

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

PubicMice posted:

I know you're all going to be very horrible to me for saying this, but have you guys considered that maybe Kingdom Death is not the literal worst?

Do you mean in the context of all human history, or boardgames and kickstarters

Because now I feel like there should be an edit of Leeloo Dallas-Multipass scrolling through the knowledge machine and then types in KDM instead of WAR and starts crying at all the rape minis and the last image is the $2.6 million kickstarter page

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I like the bit in Space Alert where static plays and you have to communicate with your idiot fellow players with furious glaring.

And I like to arrange my trains neatly during other people's turns in Ticket to Ride. Last time I played we had 1) neat rows like a trainyard, 2) spelling out words, 3) all in a tumbled heap like some kind of animal, 4) the longest possible winding spiral train.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Fellis posted:

Do you mean in the context of all human history, or boardgames and kickstarters

Because now I feel like there should be an edit of Leeloo Dallas-Multipass scrolling through the knowledge machine and then types in KDM instead of WAR and starts crying at all the rape minis and the last image is the $2.6 million kickstarter page

I'm just saying that people on this forum seem to treat the game like its existence is a literal war crime, and that's a bit silly. Yes it's gross but if people want to play a gross board game, why not let them? Who does it hurt?

World War Mammories posted:

lmao holy poo poo

it's called a "wet nurse." when was this released? I feel like somebody played bloodborne, fought mergo's wet nurse, thought "this is rad as hell!" and then catastrophically didn't "get" it

I looked it up and it looks like like 90% of the rape and titties minis, including that one, aren't actually part of the game, they're just promotional googaws. Which is definitely not better, no, but at least it means if by some random chance you play the actual game or at least are locked in a room with it against your will, you won't have to deal with them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

lmao holy poo poo

It also looks like someone who watched Alien, thought Giger was read as hell and then catastrophically didn't get it.

I feel there's lots of things the person who made that didn't get. Starting with "enough hugs as a child"

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Setting off the mouse trap from Mouse Trap and having everything work.

Its uhhhhh been a while since played a board game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HopperUK posted:

I like the bit in Space Alert where static plays and you have to communicate with your idiot fellow players with furious glaring.

And I like to arrange my trains neatly during other people's turns in Ticket to Ride. Last time I played we had 1) neat rows like a trainyard, 2) spelling out words, 3) all in a tumbled heap like some kind of animal, 4) the longest possible winding spiral train.

Space Alert is the most fun I've ever had losing a game.

For people who don't know the plot is Space Alert is you're in a space ship assembled by the lowest bidder that's barely held together.

The game starts with the spaceship kind of stocked up. Your gun and shield every is partially charged and you only get a set amount of refills over the course of the game. Also the main computer needs the mouse jiggled every now and then or advertisements kick up which delays everyone an action.

When the game proper starts someone presses play on the CD/app and the mission begins. Over the next ten minutes you will be told when threats arrive while being occasionally told to draw cards and sometimes static plays and you can't talk to each other.

The goal of the game is to during these ten minutes play cards on a turn track, repel the threats, and survive to do it all again another day.

In reality the ten minutes are spent arguing with each other about who can do what and when while you all try to program a winning combination of moves. Without fail someone always forgets to jiggle the mouse or ends up shooting an empty gun give times or double recharges the energy reactor.

It's great

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

PubicMice posted:

I'm just saying that people on this forum seem to treat the game like its existence is a literal war crime, and that's a bit silly. Yes it's gross but if people want to play a gross board game, why not let them? Who does it hurt?

I looked it up and it looks like like 90% of the rape and titties minis, including that one, aren't actually part of the game, they're just promotional googaws. Which is definitely not better, no, but at least it means if by some random chance you play the actual game or at least are locked in a room with it against your will, you won't have to deal with them.

I’m guessing you’ve read the TG boardgame thread posts about the game if you think that’s the take, so I’m not gonna rehash those arguments here.

Like I kinda didn’t even want to engage you on this because I’m sure some thread lurkers are like oh hey i haven’t played a boardgame since that family trip, I wonder what boardgames are being discuss—:yikes:

Fellis has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Aug 30, 2018

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Fellis posted:

I’m guessing you’ve read the TG boardgame thread posts about the game if you think that’s the take, so I’m not gonna rehash those arguments here.

Like I kinda didn’t even want to engage you on this because I’m sure some thread lurkers are like oh hey i haven’t played a boardgame since that family trip, I wonder what boardgames are being discuss—:yikes:

Man I'm not the one who brought it up in the thread in the first place. And no, I haven't read any threads about, I just saw the posts in the dragging games down thread as well as here and they were all so aggressively mad about it existing I googled it out of morbid curiosity, and turned out it the actual game isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be. Not saying it's good, I'm just saying that it's not literally the worst thing ever produced by human hands.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Anyway to actually contribute something of value to this thread, the Oniverse games (Onirim, Sylvion, Castellion, and Nautilion) are all very deep, very fun games for being quite small and cheap. They're all designed to be single player but have very good co-op modes as well, as well as a ridiculous number of expansions packed into the boxes. They also all have absolutely beautiful artwork.
https://www.moregamesplease.com/art-in-boardgames/2017/9/8/elise-plessis-art-in-board-games-16

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The way I see it is that the game sounds really fun on paper but is $400 so being convinced it's full of creepy masturbation material makes it easy to not have any interest in it because I don't need another multiple hundred dollar boardgame sitting around collecting dust.

I've seen enough of it that I'm okay with not spending money on it but if someone had a copy without the creepy cheesecake add-ons I would be okay with playing

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Actually here's a follow-up post because I don't want to have written more words defending Kingdom Death than I have praising the Oniverse so:

Onirim is a hand management/set collection game where you're trying to find 8 Doors, 2 each of 4 colors, and you use a hand of cards to build a path to them.

If you can get 3 cards of the same color in a row you get to search through the deck for the Door of that color; however, you can't put 2 cards of the same type together. The cards come in 3 types, Suns, which there are the most of; Moons, which there are fewer of, and Keys, of which there are only 3 of each color.

On your turn you can choose to either play or discard 1 card, and then you draw back you to 5. Suns and Moons can only be played on the path, but Keys can also be discarded to reveal the top 5 cards of the deck, discard 1, and reorder the other 4 however you want. You can also discard a Key to collect a same-color Door if you draw it while refilling your hand, and you can discard a Key to cancel a Nightmare. Which brings me to...

Nightmare cards are cards that come up while filling up your hand, and if they do you have either a. discard the top 5 cards of the deck, b. discard your whole hand and draw a new 5, c. shuffle a Door you've found back into the deck, or d. discard a Key if you have one.

In the two player version, each player has their own hand of 3 cards and there are two shared cards, which the players can swap between if they discard a card for their turn.

The game is very fun and has some surprisingly deep decisions for how simple it is, but there are some issues. Mainly, there is a lot a lot a lot of shuffling; when you search the deck for a Door, you shuffle. If you draw a Door and you don't have a matching Key, you put it to the side until you finish filling your hand and shuffle it back. The same goes for Nightmares as well if you pitch your whole hand. This obviously is very much a ymmv, but frequent shuffling is definitely a huge issue for some people. Though one of the expansions does mitigate it somewhat. Speaking of...

The game comes with a whopping 8 expansions in the box, as well as 2 promo ones. They are:

• The Book of Steps Lost and Found: You have to find the doors in a specific order, but you have bonus powers to help you that you can use by removing cards from the discard pile.
  • The Glyphs: Add a new type of card you can add to the path or use to get a Door from the top of the deck, but you have to find 4 more Doors.
  • The Dreamcatchers: Instead of shuffling the deck so much, when you draw a card that would cause you to shuffle, you put it under one of the 4 Dreamcatcher cards, although you can't have too many stored or you'll lose one. You also have to have the 4 new Lost Dream cards stored at the end of the game to win.
  • The Towers: Adds a second path with it's own rules that you have to have in a certain order to win.
  • Happy Dreams and Dark Premonitions: Bad things will trigger after getting certain Doors, but you can prevent them.
  • Crossroads and Dead Ends: Adds wild cards and cards to clog your hand.
  • The Door to the Oniverse: Adds a random set of cards that all have very unique powers, also adds a wild Door to collect.
  • The Little Incubus: Is actually a cute little meeple that you can use to take a Nightmare now to cancel one later.
  • The Mirrors: Instead of playing card on the path, you can put them under Mirrors to explore them, doing so will either give you a useful one-time ability or is a requirement to win.
  • Sphinx, Diver, and Confusion: Adds new cards that can be either helpful or harmful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've only played the app version of Onirim. How does that compare? Some games get better in the translation and others just suck

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PubicMice posted:

At the risk of :can: tbqh, I'm not very comfortable with edgy rape poo poo being sold at a premium to a demographic that has historically had severe problems with normalizing horrible poo poo. Regardless of whether or not the creators are just going for the cynical cash grab to fund the "real" game or genuinely believe in their work, I'm not gonna support their efforts.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

PubicMice posted:

Man I'm not the one who brought it up in the thread in the first place. And no, I haven't read any threads about, I just saw the posts in the dragging games down thread

I haven’t read that thread so my bad, sorry. TG BG general just gets a valiant defender of KDM every so often, and its very played out at this point. For the mechanical game itself, I’m not a huge fan of excessive RNG roguelike in my tabletop so it seems very bad to me.

Mostly because I played too much Arkham Horror in college and hoo boy is that game a hot mess of dice and random. One aspect I do enjoy is the power curve of the magic-user characters who are easily the weakest at the start, but when they get a complement of spells can mitigate all the downsides of casting and become unkillable gods. The very best was Daisy Walker who inherently had good opportunity to get The Necronomicon (library encounter and her home location) and didn’t take sanity loss from books. Several games I saw a full-power Daisy just walk into a stack of monsters in the streets of arkham, roll 5-6 dice thirty times, and then pick up the whole thing as trophies.

Lately I have been getting into weirdo 4-hour economic simulators so get at me if you want to know what’s at the end of the boardgame abyss

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

I've only played the app version of Onirim. How does that compare? Some games get better in the translation and others just suck

Personally I can't get behind app versions of most board games because I always feel like I either can't see enough of the board or of the cards; obviously Onirim's visual design is so simple that that doesn't come up. However I'm really not a fan of the app anyway, it feels strangely dry to me, even though it's mechanically the same (except for the scoring system, which I also don't like). I think it's that without the tactility of the cards and of course all the shuffling, it really puts a spotlight on the card-counting aspect of the game, which is honestly my least favorite thing. Also the fact that you have to pay for each individual expansion, especially when they aren't even all implemented, bugs me. The paper version is only like 20 bucks, is delightfully presented, and comes with 8 expansions including an adorable meeple. It's definitely worth it to me. It also doesn't really take more than a square foot to play (unless you use certain expansions), so it's almost as portable, too.

Fellis posted:

I haven’t read that thread so my bad, sorry. TG BG general just gets a valiant defender of KDM every so often, and its very played out at this point. For the mechanical game itself, I’m not a huge fan of excessive RNG roguelike in my tabletop so it seems very bad to me.

I mean I can definitely see why opinions on it are so strong, whether positive or negative; it seems like it was designed from up to be as controversial as possible. Literally everything about it, the actual game mechanics, the absurd amount of minis, the whole Kickstarter thing, the excessive style, they're all very hot-button issues either in board games or in general. (I may not have read threads here, but BGG is a different story.)

quote:

Mostly because I played too much Arkham Horror in college and hoo boy is that game a hot mess of dice and random. One aspect I do enjoy is the power curve of the magic-user characters who are easily the weakest at the start, but when they get a complement of spells can mitigate all the downsides of casting and become unkillable gods. The very best was Daisy Walker who inherently had good opportunity to get The Necronomicon (library encounter and her home location) and didn’t take sanity loss from books. Several games I saw a full-power Daisy just walk into a stack of monsters in the streets of arkham, roll 5-6 dice thirty times, and then pick up the whole thing as trophies.

Lately I have been getting into weirdo 4-hour economic simulators so get at me if you want to know what’s at the end of the boardgame abyss

I have my own love-hate relationship with Arkham Horror; I love the idea of it but actually playing it is more horrifying than any of the monsters. I've found that Darkest Night is pretty good at scratching the itch, it's basically a cross between Arkham and Pandemic, put in a high fantasy setting. It's not without it's own issues, though. It's very much a game where your turn can consist of rolling a die and nothing happening, quite often. It also has a hard maximum and minimum of 4 characters, so more than 4 players isn't really gonna happen and less gets awkward. Also, more generally, it showed the world that Victory Point Games is actually kind of scuzzy as a company; there was a Kickstarter for the second edition that had a lot of problems, all from them.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Aug 31, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

Risk and Monopoly are both fun if you would watch a 2 hour youtube on the rules, because people don't play by them correctly and games last hours and hours. Also none of these games need a 2 hour youtube.

Monopoly is a bad game, period. A lot of peoples house rules make the game actively worse (mainly by prolonging the game and preventing players being completely taken out). I've always assumed that lot of the weird house rules is from parents playing with kids who dont want their kid to get taken out of the game too early so add in bullshit to keep them afloat, then those kids grow up and assume those are the actual rules and pass them to their children. But the game as designed, played with the full real version of the rules? Still absolute dogshit.

Like, monopoly is famously derived from "The Landlords game", which was literally designed to be a soul grinding drag to play to teach people about the downsides of certain economic theories (and so promoting others). That is the intent of the rules as written. As an economic treatise it might be good, I am in no way qualified to judge that. As a fun time it is the drizzling shits.

I'm not gonna be too down on Risk, I have had fun with it many years ago but... Its 20 goddamn 18. Risk is over 60 years old at this point. There are mechanically better games that give you whatever it is you like about risk in a more reasonable play time and with a more intuitive/streamlined rule set that doesnt require a 2 hour youtube session. Similarly "Diplomacy" as I'm on a "This classic game is outdated and poo poo" kick.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fellis posted:

Arkham Horror
Played it once, regretted it. One of the worst games, if not the worst, that I have ever played.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

One thing that I really love about boardgames is there are games that are sufficiently complex enough to have different metagames, yet obscure enough to not have tons of online discussion so there can still be microcosms of meta where you play the game with a different group and win decisively/lose miserably just because strategy mismatch is so different.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Played it once, regretted it. One of the worst games, if not the worst, that I have ever played.

I think there are ways Arkham Horror can be good and enjoyable, but most of them now require a time machine back to 2006 when there weren’t better co-op games around. And even then, you need someone willing to gamemaster who knows the rules perfectly, and people who can handle playing simultaneously.

That’s a lot of words to say, I agree it’s a bad game. I was just fortunate to have a good experience playing it weekly for a few years.

Fellis has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Sep 3, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your assessment is correct. But the 2017 card game version is pretty fun.

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012

Spermando posted:

There are many things I dislike about Citadels, but the worst has to be the assassin. If you are the king in one turn, and then on the next turns you always choose the assassin and kill the king, you can screw everyone over.

The rules specifically state that if the king gets assassinated, the crown still transfers to whoever had the card at the end of turn.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Welp, we've been playing it wrong for months, then.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Has anyone played The Grizzled? It's a co-op game with a WW1 theme.

It's about surviving the war, and jesus, is it rough. I love playing it, but it's so rough. Basically, everyone gets a hand of cards with an obstacle on it (shelling, gas, snow, etc.) and the goal is the empty said hand onto the field. However, if there are three of a particular obstacle on the field, your "mission" is a failure. Simple, right?

The cards are drawn from two decks. There's one under which the end is a "peace" card, and another under which is a monument card, signifying everyone died. You draw your hand from the "peace" deck. Each mission, someone is the "leader" and they decide how hard the mission will be by choosing how many cards each player gets. (There's also this cute little rule that says the hairiest person has to be leader first.) You play your hands, and try not to get three on the field. You can also beat a tactical retreat if you have a hand that will make the mission a failure, but when the mission is over, as many cards as you have still in your hands are taken from the monument pile to the peace pile, putting it further away. Even if you all get all your cards out of your hands, a minimum of three cards must be added from the monument to the peace deck at the end of the mission. If you fail a mission, and get three of the same obstacle on the field, any cards that are in the "no-man's-land" (aka, the field) also get added to the peace deck, on top of what you already have to add.

On top of trying to not fail missions and live through the war, there are things called "hard knocks" that you accumulate through the game to simulate shell shock. You add them onto your character (everyone has a little soldier card they choose at the start of the game. Each of the soldiers are actually named after a real life person, mostly family of the makers of the game as I understand it.) when you choose, at least, so you can be tactical over whether you choose to keep them in your hand or add them to get an empty hand. These can affect your behavior (the Mute condition means you literally can't talk while you have it on your character.) or just make things plain impossible ("phobia" cards mean your character is now afraid of one of the hazards, and there can be only two of those on the field or the mission fails. Yes, it's possible to stack phobias, and yes, there is a phobia for every single thing in the game except for the sunny weather cards.) One card, "tyrannical" (which makes a person forcibly the leader, and prevents getting speeches), will absolutely wreck a loving game, which brings me to my next point!

Support, Speeches and Lucky Charms: It's not all bad! You have the support of your comrades, and through that we can make it through anything, right? Right? Well, what this means is that every player has a number of support tiles with arrows or double arrows on them. At the end of each mission, you can give them to the player either on the right, left, or going double right and double left. The player that accumulates the most tiles can either get rid of two Hard Knocks, or reset their Lucky Charm (in the expansion, it does both, but the expansion adds considerable difficulty.) What do Lucky Charms do, you ask? Lucky charms are a little icon on the top of your player card. These little icons are of an obstacle you face. When you use your lucky charm, you nullify what's on the field at the moment. So, let's say I have two shell icons on the no-man's-land at the moment, and each person after me has a hand with only those. If my lucky charm is the shell, I can say that those are null, don't worry about them! Then I turn my card over, as my charm has been used for now. Lucky charms can make or break a game! Another thing that can make or break a game are speeches. At the start of the game, depending on number of players, there are a number of speech cards. These are set, and do not refresh once used. Once used, they are out of the game. You get a speech token by taking a turn as the leader. Using a speech means that you choose one hazard, and everyone may discard a card that has that type of hazard in their hand. (I always blow my speech on this one nasty card that has one of every hazard on it. gently caress that card.) Like I said, speeches don't refresh at all. I find it really interesting, as this simulates how speeches are only effective for so long in the face of ongoing terror. How many times were they told "just one more big push" in that war?

All in all, The Grizzled is a grueling game, but one I ultimately enjoy. I'd really like to see other people play it! Though, seriously, it's hard. It's been nicknamed "the game that hates" by my friends. There's even some rules for "trap cards" I haven't gotten into because I've never played with them! I can't imagine it harder than they way we've played it!

I pretty much like everything about it. The art is fantastic, the theme is interesting, and I really like the cooperative gameplay.

Can I request suggestions for other cooperative games? I don't know that many, and would like to play more.

tl;dr: go buy the Grizzled and subject your friends to it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
It sounds interesting, if not fun in the way I usually think of it. I feel like it would appeal to fans of roguelikes.

That said, this stuck out:

DicktheCat posted:

(There's also this cute little rule that says the hairiest person has to be leader first.)

That seems like a pretty good indicator that only men were involved in the development and playtesting. ;)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DicktheCat posted:

(There's also this cute little rule that says the hairiest person has to be leader first.)
I hate those rules. They're OK the very first time you play, then it's "Who starts this time? Oh, the exact same person who started last time and will likely start every time? OK, let's ignore that rule then." If a rule is going to be changed or ignored as a matter of course, don't put it in the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It adfs flavour.

You also get fun things like "Who was sick most recently?", "Who is thirstiest?" and "Who used a pen most recently?" which do change.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Or you just use the Chwazi app cause its super easy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We roll dice and a glass bead. A d6, d8, d20 and the bead. The bead is weirdly shaped and is the positive or negative modifier. If everyone is in the negatives the person lowest goes first. You reroll on doubles, go last with the person to your left going first if you roll doubles three times in a row, and go first on triples.

Nothing convoluted about that :colbert:

I met up with a group of pretty neat guys at the local game parlor and they've been inviting me to go play games with them lately. It's weird because they play entirely different games I could never play with my friends. If I tried to put a social game like Sheriff of Nottingham or Resistance at the table nothing would ever happen because there would be nothing but arguing and at least half the players wouldn't even try to play.

The only things that can actually hit the table with my group are coop games with traitor mechanics or things with pvp. We can sometimes get coop games on the table but we always lose because working together isn't possible with them.

As for a mechanic I don't like "programming game" style games. I played one Lords of Xidit I think it was over the weekend. Turn resolution was incredibly clunky. I feel like having a game like that in app form would be better because you could make your decision and resolve what happens in a fraction of the time

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tiggum posted:

I hate those rules. They're OK the very first time you play, then it's "Who starts this time? Oh, the exact same person who started last time and will likely start every time? OK, let's ignore that rule then." If a rule is going to be changed or ignored as a matter of course, don't put it in the game.

I'm 100% with you. "Who's traveled most recently?" Well, me as I came to your house to play games. Whats that, another game? Well, rules as written I go first again, as no one has arrived since we started playing. (Or in fact "who has travelled most recently?" "Well, Dave and Fiona arrived together, so I guess its a tie?")

Realistically everyone ignores the stupid drat rule, so as you say, take it out the game. The real rule is "Person who is teaching the game goes first. If everyone has played the game before, whoever lost the last game goes first. If this is the first game of the night then roll some drat dice or put pieces in a bag and draw one out or whatever" and we all know it. If you are playing a family weight game with kids then sure "youngest goes first" is fine, whatever. Thats the one time I will accept this straight up bullshit.

If someone starts to actually debate the rule, argue that they are hungriest, tallest if you do/dont count high heels, that they are hairiest because although they dont have a beard they have hair they can sit on (or vice versa), that someone elses travel shouldnt count because although they arrived most recently this other person has traveled 100 miles further today, whatever, then I just tell that person to go first. They will obviously have a better time if they get to go first and if its a well designed game then going first in the first turn should make much of a difference in the long run anyway.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It adfs flavour.

You also get fun things like "Who was sick most recently?", "Who is thirstiest?" and "Who used a pen most recently?" which do change.

You want flavour, chew gum or put it in the fluff. Dont make me start your game by ignoring a rule, it tips me off that some of your rules suck and should be ignored. If I have to start the game with a discussion of who is thirstiest, I'd rather play something else which is more fun that having that discussion.

It is admittedly the tiniest, pettiest thing, but I do find the cutesy "he he, its a game about rabbits, so the player with the biggest ears goes first! Lol! Because rabbits have big ears! DO YOU SEE WHAT WE DID THERE?" thing grating. Its hardly a dealbreaker, and I promise I'm actually a reasonable person to play games with. Mostly.

Len posted:

As for a mechanic I don't like "programming game" style games. I played one Lords of Xidit I think it was over the weekend. Turn resolution was incredibly clunky. I feel like having a game like that in app form would be better because you could make your decision and resolve what happens in a fraction of the time

I dont mind programming games, but I am really super loving bad at them. I'm fine as long as I'm facing the same way as my playing piece, but as soon as I have to thing about what to do with it facing me (so my left is its right) I guarantee I will gently caress up. Doubly so if something has the ability to move my piece between instructions (conveyor belts and so on). Possibly not even by getting the directions wrong, I once laid out my cards in robo rally only to realise that I'd somehow reversed their order, and put my final instruction in the first slot and so on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've only played two programming games Lords of blah blah and Space Alert and the best part of SA is definitely the ten minutes of planning. Once it gets to the actual resolution step a way to automate it would be wonderful

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Isn't Space Alert the game that comes with a real-time soundtrack you play along too?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PubicMice posted:

Isn't Space Alert the game that comes with a real-time soundtrack you play along too?

Yeah you can also get an app that randomizes everything. The best part is the first 10 minutes while the soundtrack plays and everyone tries to plan out how to not die.

Then it ends and you just step by step go around the resolving actions

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Ah. I was under the impression the whole game was a frantic race to get things done, I didn't realize there was a planning phase. Knowing what you're doing next when the time comes to do it kinda takes the wind out of the timer's sails.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PubicMice posted:

Ah. I was under the impression the whole game was a frantic race to get things done, I didn't realize there was a planning phase. Knowing what you're doing next when the time comes to do it kinda takes the wind out of the timer's sails.

How it works is the audio starts and it will tell you things like "threat red t4" which means turn 4 a threat shows up on the track. It'll also have draw a card, trade cards, no talking. So during this is when the players have to plan what they're doing by using the cards in hand.

Your cards are split into two halves movement and action. Movements are left or right or up/down. The actions are A B C or robots. Action A are typically violent and involve shooting stuff. B are recharging shields/engines. C are unique and can be turn on robots or wiggle the mouse* or look out the window. Robots are use robot to fight internal or external threats.

The audio phase is split into three sections and as it progresses you have to "lock in" your actions which functions as a point of no return.

So once you get through the planning phase you reset the board and enter the resolve phase which is the boring go step by step around the board part of the game

*Each phase you have to jiggle the mouse on the computer or else everyones action gets delayed a turn because the computer went to sleep

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

DicktheCat posted:

Can I request suggestions for other cooperative games? I don't know that many, and would like to play more.

tl;dr: go buy the Grizzled and subject your friends to it.

I've played Harry Potter: Battle for Hogwarts, which is a deck building co-op game. It's fun if you like Harry Potter but it tended to be either really easy or absolutely impossible to win without much middle ground. You face enemies from the series and work together to beat them, all of the really powerful cards give resources to your allies, and you lose if a "dark mark" counter gets filled up. The two main issues I had were that if the card available to buy were all expensive, everyone got stuck not being able to build up their decks, and as the dark mark meter fills up it adds extra challenges to the game, which is where it tends to snowball if you let that meter get past a certain threshold.

Have you tried Panic? I've only played an introductory have but it seems fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The nice part about the Battle for Hogwarts game is that there are enough "chaff" villians (villians get added to the deck as you progress through the books, and never removed except for Voldemort as he powers up) so you have some breathing space, and once you get the more advance starting character abilities, it goes a long way to fixing "locked out of the market at the start". The last book is a slog, but that's just because of the dumb "destroy the horacruxes before killing Voldemort for big prizes" mechanic on top of "kill all the bosses to win".

You still have some situations where you're going to be in a world of hurt because the three starting villians are a solid brick wall, but at least it'll be over quickly, and there's enough villians of the "deal a player 1 damage" variety that it's fairly rare to be completely shut down early on.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Len posted:

I'm a big fan of the the app. There's a certain amount of fiddly card administration and reshuffling in the physical version which the app eliminates for the best. Now, as stated elsewhere, this does bring card counting to the fore which you might think ruins the game.I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I played a few more new (to me) games this weekend that were fun but lacked player interaction.

Brass Lancaster and London were both fun games but neither one had any real interaction with each other which was a big thing dragging them down to me.

I'm not asking for a game that's all spite and pvp all the time (although I'm trying to talk friends into getting Talisman in the new humble bundle for this exact reason) but give me some way to interact directly with each other vs accidentally ruining someone's plans.