Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/170825/magician-kim-sarae_v2.22_ch94_by_one-man-army-scans

I really hope this doesn't end tragically. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for a good old shounen friendship speech!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silento posted:

I really hope this doesn't end tragically. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for a good old shounen friendship speech!

Same here. :ohdear:

I have to say, Enzu has really grown on me. I mean, I never disliked him but he's pretty much my favorite character at this point, and then when he makes faces like in that chapter I just get all excited because he just keeps getting more badass.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Awesome new chapter: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magician/Vol-002-023-Ch-099--The-Gathering--003-?id=168320

Holy poo poo, that last page. :aaa:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I just started re-reading this from the beginning again and wow the art has really changed. The earlier chapters had more vivid colors and textures and the characters seemed to have more natural and less angular facial features. Also everyone was making hilarious faces. The current art isn't bad but it seems more stylized and subdued and while the characters are still expressive, their expressions are not as exaggerated. It almost seems like a different comic.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Okasvi posted:

I just started re-reading this from the beginning again and wow the art has really changed. The earlier chapters had more vivid colors and textures and the characters seemed to have more natural and less angular facial features. Also everyone was making hilarious faces. The current art isn't bad but it seems more stylized and subdued and while the characters are still expressive, their expressions are not as exaggerated. It almost seems like a different comic.

I agree, but I think it has to do more with the time skip. Things were more comical because the characters were children and now they're more or less adults so naturally they're a lot more controlled or at least inward. But it definitely has to do with the artist's vast improvement since the beginning.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Did the artist perhaps speed up their schedule at some point too? Disregarding the quality of the art itself, the earlier chapters still look like they had more time spent on them. They had every surface textured to match what it represents and there was that period beginning from chapter 39, where everything looked hand painted and had no outlines.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Yeah, so I guess I'm the only one who thinks this manga went to poo poo? Iremi was the best character and the author just ruined her by somehow making her even less mature as they've gotten older, like she's some kind of weak and over-emotional child in an adult's body who needs Enzu's protection instead of being the one with a spine who protects him.

No chapter out this week, but given the recent course of the story, that's probably for the best. Guess not everything can be Tower of God. :smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really like Iremi's portrayal lately, true. I am enjoying Enzu being the focus though, so it's been fairly easy to just not pay that much attention to her.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, I'm enjoying Enzu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I like about this is that they didn't have Edermask be particularly resistant to Iremi/Enzu joining him in the first place. The trope in this sort of situation is to have him resist being joined every step of the way until his new companions prove themselves, but he never seemed to have much of a problem with them joining him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Safe and Secure! posted:

Yeah, so I guess I'm the only one who thinks this manga went to poo poo? Iremi was the best character and the author just ruined her by somehow making her even less mature as they've gotten older, like she's some kind of weak and over-emotional child in an adult's body who needs Enzu's protection instead of being the one with a spine who protects him.

While I still really like the manhwa and find the plot really interesting (I honestly have no idea how things are going to transpire and am really looking forward to when they finally reunite with Edermask), Iremi has really been an awful character for most of Volume 2. I wasn't a huge fan of her in Volume 1, but now she's extremely unlikeable and a walking negative gender stereotype. One poster in this thread mentioned liking the way Enzu and Iremi play off of each other, but I couldn't disagree more. She is just a huge bitch to him constantly for no reason (yeah, I know that it's supposedly to not reveal that she's depressed/stressed out, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious). I don't really like the whole "has hidden God-like powers" plot element, either.

I like most of the supporting cast a lot, though; probably more than the main characters, even. I'm curious to see how Enzu will resolve things with Edan. While I'm sure they'll fight, Edan has been portrayed in a fairly sympathetic manner (though he did murder Sir Henry in cold blood, characters who have done things just as bad have been portrayed as redeemable). I mean, Kal was literally wanting to hunt down and murder a child. Molliviore has grown on me, and Pierre is a pretty cool dude.

Actually, now that I think of it, most of the male characters in this are pretty chill guys ("hyung" seems to roughly translate to "bro" or something). One pretty big issue with the series is that it definitely portrays women in a pretty sexist manner.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 16, 2013

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Safe and Secure! posted:

No chapter out this week, but given the recent course of the story, that's probably for the best. Guess not everything can be Tower of God. :smith:

Pretty much. I really liked the first volume, especially the Iremi parts because she was truly the big sister of the group, and -really- smart, but then the author decided that in the second volume everything should be about enzu and thus decided to make Iremi an idiot. Quite disappointed there.

Oh, and Tower of God pretty much went down the drain too imho :-(

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I needed something to read, so I blasted through this manhwa in the past couple of days. I did skip a few chapters in volume 2 where they defeated the really, really tough Edermask look-alike named Shadow. In my opinion, there were way too many chapters in that conflict anyway.

I agree with the way the author is portraying Iremi. She's horrible. The whole "stagnant relationship" thing is boring too. My guess is that the Iremi version 1.0 that the elf-leader of Iremi's home town spoke of is Natasha.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Tons of new chapters are out as part of a 4-day mass release (the last day is tommorrow). And gently caress, poo poo just got so real. :drat:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Yep. Team Breaker finally made their move. I keep wondering what their plan is because all I can imagine is that they somehow expect to meet up with the real Edermask and magically whisk him away from the city and danger. Otherwise, I can't see how they'll get out of this situation well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:dance:
So glad to be able to read all of that in a chunk instead of it dragging out for weeks. I was ready for this arc to move on and it finally delivered.

So glad Cobra Commander wasn't the real deal. I've had my fingers crossed the whole time that that was the case, not in the least because I didn't want Edermask to be all mangled and gross :ohdear: But also because it seemed like such a drastic shift in personality: hiding behind a city wall, behind an army, and hiding his face behind a mask. None of that fit with how I'd expect the Genuine Article to behave, even though the narrative made it seem kinda maybe plausible if you squint.

When Edermask said he was giving the fake a gift, I did kinda wonder if things were being set up so that the fake remained in Phillis and continued with his rebellion, acting as a decoy who now has a stronger bluff since real Edermask magic has been used on the battlefield.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The last of the daily releases has been posted to the scanlator's blog (omascans.wordpress.com) ... 8 new chapters! With this, the translation has now caught up with the original. I haven't read them yet as I'm at work, but be on the lookout for them to be posted to batoto pretty soon - it has been the fastest to update the past few days.

I like the direction the series has taken - part 2 has had some slow stretches (looking at you, Fake Edermask fight), but the War in Phyllis arc I've found very enjoyable

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

:dance:
So glad to be able to read all of that in a chunk instead of it dragging out for weeks. I was ready for this arc to move on and it finally delivered.

So glad Cobra Commander wasn't the real deal. I've had my fingers crossed the whole time that that was the case, not in the least because I didn't want Edermask to be all mangled and gross :ohdear: But also because it seemed like such a drastic shift in personality: hiding behind a city wall, behind an army, and hiding his face behind a mask. None of that fit with how I'd expect the Genuine Article to behave, even though the narrative made it seem kinda maybe plausible if you squint.

When Edermask said he was giving the fake a gift, I did kinda wonder if things were being set up so that the fake remained in Phillis and continued with his rebellion, acting as a decoy who now has a stronger bluff since real Edermask magic has been used on the battlefield.

I'm under the impression that fake Edermask is still a good guy and that real Edermask more or less supports his actions, or at least doesn't oppose them. I'm a little confused as to why real Edermask isn't hosed up in some way, since we've been told that he assaulted Janus and at the very least didn't win (and was supposedly badly injured).

I've really disliked Iremi for pretty much all of part 2. She's written as some sort of really bad "girls are overly emotional!" stereotype and hasn't shown any character growth between parts 1 and 2 (if anything she's worse in part 2 because she doesn't seem to have taken the loss of Dirt and separation from Edermask very well).

I've very happy that they've finally met the real Edermask. The plot was really dragging for a while there; while the whole "guy who does blood rituals with young girls" arc wasn't exactly bad, it wasn't connected much to the main plot and felt really long (and that's despite me being able to read straight through it; it must have been awful if you were waiting between each chapter release).

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Newest (8 (lol)) chapter spoilers: Woah, chapter 124 was brutal. I wonder if the Iremi split-personality subplot thing will be resolved when they meet that other redhead. I hope so, Iremi being pouty is getting old.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Translations for this should be coming off hiatus in the next few weeks! The translator's site says there will be a batch release around Christmas, and he hopes to be caught up again before winter break is over.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
So another big fight is ramping up. I'm pretty sure Fenelia is about to drop the personality brainwashing bomb on Iremi in the middle of the fight. Depending on whether she's going to break down over it, Enzu might have to seriously step up his game.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Does the artstyle change starting around chapter 39 change ever? It's... really ugly.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It changes a bunch of times, but the style it's at now is not even close to the style in chapter 39.

The current style is really angular, but I think it looks pretty good. It's been consistent for a while.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Does the artstyle change starting around chapter 39 change ever? It's... really ugly.

Went to check and yeah it definitely changes. No idea many chapters you gotta endure it for though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Getting to where they fight the bandits, I'm disappointed that this is yet another story where we'll learn killing is bad, and that leaving people who rape/murder/enslave people is good!!! With how Ede was killing people pretty readily, I was hoping that wouldn't happen.

Edit: Oh next chapter we find out they also burned the children of the village to death infront of the women they kidnapped/raped and intended to sell into slavery. And of course he gets off with a 'promise' to turn himself in because he 'realizes' he's a bad person.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 13, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

KittyEmpress posted:

Getting to where they fight the bandits, I'm disappointed that this is yet another story where we'll learn killing is bad, and that leaving people who rape/murder/enslave people is good!!! With how Ede was killing people pretty readily, I was hoping that wouldn't happen.

Edit: Oh next chapter we find out they also burned the children of the village to death infront of the women they kidnapped/raped and intended to sell into slavery. And of course he gets off with a 'promise' to turn himself in because he 'realizes' he's a bad person.

What you're talking about right now isn't really as bad you think it is. Keep reading.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh man D is cool! New favorite. Oh he is dead.

Oh man! Time is cool! New favorite! Oh he is dead.

:( everyone I like dies.

Edit: Dirt too!?!?!?! Why????!!!!

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 13, 2014

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Not sure what to think. Eventually, Iremi is going to either be told or figure out what's been done to her. She's either going to flip out or handle it well. Either way, I suspect she'll likely be the most powerful magician in the world, ever -- or something like that. Seems to me that's where they're headed.

She's only ever used nature magic, but I believe she's capable of using all magics, right? I'm wondering if Edermask's plan is to let Iremi fight and discover the full extent of her powers?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well, I finally caught up with the current releases, that kind of sucks to have them end on such a cliff hanger.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least it sounds like he's not completely done for now and back to months on translation hiatus.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So this is getting regular updates again, and oh boy is poo poo hitting the fan.

Edermask turned into a madman and is willing to destroy all to get power is certainly a new thing :munch: . Looks like a 3-way battle should be happening if/when Edermask is overpowered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Punc posted:

So this is getting regular updates again, and oh boy is poo poo hitting the fan.

Edermask turned into a madman and is willing to destroy all to get power is certainly a new thing :munch: . Looks like a 3-way battle should be happening if/when Edermask is overpowered.

It isn't a new thing at all. It is why Dirt died. Edermask does the kindly mentor thing really well, but he is willing to drop that and anyone who believes in him in a heartbeat if it accomplishes his goals. The priest is just the latest to mistakenly believe in Edermask's virtue. He reluctantly took them down there because he thought Edermask would be reasonable once he saw what he was up against. Edermask is just so ridiculously charismatic that everyone but Janus sees only what they want to see.

If there is any sort of ending planned, I think it would have to be Iremi and/or Enzu vs. Edermask.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

If there is any sort of ending planned, I think it would have to be Iremi and/or Enzu vs. Edermask.

I think that's the only ending that makes any sense.

Reading through these latest chapters has been a little jarring because even with periodic reminders that Edermask is a huge dick I get kinda wrapped up in how he is idolized by everyone following him around. Also every time there's a new big bad I keep hoping Iremi's real powers will bust out because I'm a little tired of having that unresolved. I wish that would at least get a story arc and be given some main plot time instead of being continually brushed aside.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 18, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I am personally rooting for an end where Edermask decides to use Iremi in order to take his revenge,in a way that is severely damaging to her psyche,only for Enzu and the others to step up and beat down Edermask. With how Iremi hero-worships him, there's no other way I can see it playing out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't a new thing at all. It is why Dirt died. Edermask does the kindly mentor thing really well, but he is willing to drop that and anyone who believes in him in a heartbeat if it accomplishes his goals. The priest is just the latest to mistakenly believe in Edermask's virtue. He reluctantly took them down there because he thought Edermask would be reasonable once he saw what he was up against. Edermask is just so ridiculously charismatic that everyone but Janus sees only what they want to see.

Also, Janus is sort of a morally ambiguous character. While he acts like an rear end in a top hat and commits acts that are individually evil, he did put an end to that long war which probably saved untold numbers of people.

edit: Just caught up to the current chapter, and Edermask is pretty much unequivocally bad at this point, drat.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 19, 2014

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Just caught up as well. I am really surprised how much I liked this. It is a shame its not more well known. I am also going to have to get on board with how much I enjoy the badass swordsmen being able to stand with the magicians so far in the series. The art is kinda rough at the start but I do enjoy the style the author has settled on roughly 60 chapters in haha.

Vire fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 20, 2014

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Vire posted:

Just caught up as well. I am really surprised how much I liked this. It is a shame its not more well known. I am also going to have to get on board with how much I enjoy the badass swordsmen being able to stand with the magicians so far in the series. The art is kinda rough at the start but I do enjoy the style the author has settled on roughly 60 chapters in haha.

This is one of the manhwa/manga I look forward to for each release (up there with One Piece and Tower of God), and I've been really delighted that the translations have resumed regularly again. My only complaint is that I'm a little bit over Illumi's crush on Edermask, but I find it really hard to fault the series for it because she's a teenager and that's literally something a teenager would do.

Anyway, share it with people! Recommend it in the recommendation thread and post more about it.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Sarcophallus posted:

This is one of the manhwa/manga I look forward to for each release (up there with One Piece and Tower of God), and I've been really delighted that the translations have resumed regularly again. My only complaint is that I'm a little bit over Illumi's crush on Edermask, but I find it really hard to fault the series for it because she's a teenager and that's literally something a teenager would do.

Anyway, share it with people! Recommend it in the recommendation thread and post more about it.

Yeah Its something I can see how she would grate on you if you read it week by week but reading it all at once it hasn't been that bad in my opinion she is just pretty naive which leads her to think Edermask isn't as bad as he really is.

To me its funny but Edermask bothers me more than anyone since he is such a selfish person. We are starting to see the depths of his selfishness now with him breaking the seals. He really is a piece of poo poo.

Vire fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 20, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vire posted:

Yeah Its something I can see how she would grate on you if you read it week by week but reading it all at once it hasn't been that bad in my opinion she is just pretty naive which leads her to think Edermask isn't as bad as he really is.

To me its funny but Edermask bothers me more than anyone since he is such a selfish person. We are starting to see the depths of his selfishness now with him breaking the seals. He really is a piece of poo poo.

The author does a good job of making his bad-ness sort of ambiguous for a long time, though. For the first half of the series he's more of a question mark, and Janus still comes off as much more of a Bad Guy. Enzu looks like he's realizing what's going on but not quite sure what to do about it (or even if he could do anything about it, either in terms of convincing Iremi that Edermask isn't cool or being able to fight Edermask).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Iremi essentially went catatonic when she thought she had to fight Edermask. Edermask is going to either be what breaks her for good or allows her to rise above that synthetic personality on top of a giant pile of crazy.

Unfortunately, I doubt that Enzu will be able to help her with that. Iremi kind of takes him for granted.

• Locked thread