Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Oregon loving sucks, please do not watch Oregon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grayson Greiner for president.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Game owned, rivalry owns, Greiner owns. That's a drat good team SC came back on. I'll admit I was losing a little hope down 6-1 and knowing our best shot was Montgomery being his usual awesome self,which wasn't happening. But can never count out Gamecock baseball teams that's for sure. Feels good to take the first one and have all the momentum.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gamecocks take Game 2 in emphatic fashion to clinch the series against Clemson amid some unusual circumstances. Another memorable chapter to add to this rivalry's lore...

During our big ninth inning, Clemson coach Jack Leggett came rushing onto the field while play was ongoing and literally directed his catcher to throw to third. When Clemson forced our runner out to end the inning, the guy covering third stood over him and taunted him -- while his team was down 10-2. The latter part is just hilariously stupid, but the fact that the umps not only let a coach interfere with a live play but actually counted the out is insane. Never seen anything like it, but it's just another reason to hate Jack Leggett's whiny rear end.

Here is a Vine to illustrate how bizarre this was (ignore the juvenile hashtags):

https://vine.co/v/MK2Hjx5g1bY

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 1, 2014

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
UCLA shut out NC State 2-0. Rodon's 2 runs were off an infield hit, error, HBP, and a single. UCLA apparently scouted State really well, because nearly every well-hit ball went straight to a defensive player. Pretty much the same way State lost to UNC in the ACC Tournament last year. 0-0 game is broken due to the defense flinching and someone finally getting a hit.

Rodon just needs minimal offensive output, but considering how hard State has hit the ball in the rest of their games, this was just good scouting on UCLA's part.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Managed to make it out to my first baseball games of the season yesterday with our DH against EIU and Michigan State. Couldn't have asked for a better day either - very few clouds and mid-60s made for beautiful weather. Winning both games helped, too. Hopefully Cohen is starting to get a regular lineup in mind and we can shake off these early losses.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Down two with two outs in the ninth, Carolina scores four to complete the sweep of Clemson, 5-3. I'm ecstatic, to say the least. I know it's way early in the season, but this team has already shown a ton of that never quit anything can happen style the Championship teams had. Also the bullpen has been absolutely incredible, allowing no runs all weekend even when our ace starters didn't always have their best stuff.

Very good argument Carolina could work it's way to #1 in a poll or two, but at this point thats not important. Passing their first huge test with flying colors was more than enough for me.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

hahaha Clemson hahaha

warheadr posted:

Down two with two outs in the ninth, Carolina scores four to complete the sweep of Clemson, 5-3. I'm ecstatic, to say the least. I know it's way early in the season, but this team has already shown a ton of that never quit anything can happen style the Championship teams had. Also the bullpen has been absolutely incredible, allowing no runs all weekend even when our ace starters didn't always have their best stuff.

Very good argument Carolina could work it's way to #1 in a poll or two, but at this point thats not important. Passing their first huge test with flying colors was more than enough for me.

This really was just an excellent series from our guys. As you said, even though we clearly didn't have our best at times, we found a way to win -- which is a great sign when it comes to any postseason play we might be involved with. Another great sign is how stellar our bullpen has been, which for me was a pretty big area of concern before the year started.

Anyway, we've got a long way to go and some very good teams to play, but I'm loving everything about the way this series unfolded. (So many Top 25 teams biting the dust this weekend is cool, too.) Feels great to finally get that elusive sweep against the Tigers.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Can we just rename this thread the South Carolina Baseball Echo Chamber

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

I would say I feel a kindred spirit with the SC guys in that we are a baseball school, but then I remember that we have no National Titles and you guys have a football team that doesn't constantly underachieved despite having the NFL's best future QBs.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Miami had an odd "out of conference" series with Florida State. Took the first and then got shellacked the second two. Coming off the series win against Florida it's tough to get a read on the team.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Not to double post but Javi Salas tossed a perfecto last night on 113 pitches and 6 Ks. Only 20th in NCAA D-I history and second in Miami history. It was against Villanova which the Canes destroyed 17-0 for what it's worth. David Thompson posted a video of the bottom of the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqo0-iATBUk

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 5, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Not to double post but Javi Salas tossed a perfecto last night on 113 pitches and 6 Ks. Only 20th in NCAA D-I history and second in Miami history. It was against Villanova which the Canes destroyed 17-0 for what it's worth. David Thompson posted a video of the bottom of the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqo0-iATBUk

Fun fact, The U's student radio station play by play guy that night? Salas's brother. :unsmith:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia improves to 11-6 after kicking the poo poo out of WKU 26-7.

The team has won nine straight and has gotten red hot against some pretty good OOC competition but SEC competition starts in two weeks, so I guess we'll find out.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks have run their record out to 16-0 as the only undefeated team left. The pitching, in particular, looks very solid, as nine of those wins were shutouts. However, two of our best hitters and infielders (Joey Pankake and Max Shrock) are struggling with injury concerns heading into SEC play. It looks like Pankake will be available against Ole Miss, but Shrock's status is concerning.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Out of hibernation briefly to note that NC State-Florida State starts tomorrow and should be a tremendous series, though I can't see the Pack taking more than one game and maybe not even that. There's also LSU-Vandy and a surprisingly good Ole Miss team vs. South Carolina; rest of the weekend is about which ranked teams gently caress up against unranked opponents.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

elentar posted:

Out of hibernation briefly to note that NC State-Florida State starts tomorrow and should be a tremendous series, though I can't see the Pack taking more than one game and maybe not even that. There's also LSU-Vandy and a surprisingly good Ole Miss team vs. South Carolina; rest of the weekend is about which ranked teams gently caress up against unranked opponents.

I don't know if it'll turn into the greatest pitching duel ever, but LSU's Aaron Nola & Vandy's Tyler Beede will be facing off during the series. Both are probably top-5 guys on the mound in the country.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

elentar posted:

Rodon will lose a 2-0 decision against a top 5 team...as always.

The next game will be a 15-1 win. As always.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Oops, looks like a sweep instead. So much for a division title.

They are always incapable of beating a higher ranked team, even once in the top 10. The distance between #10-6 and 5-1 is vast.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Mississippi State swept yesterday's doubleheader over Georgia, taking two out of three in the series.

I didn't expect Georgia to win any of them, so there's hope.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina bounced back from a Friday loss, sweeping yesterday's doubleheader against Ole Miss. Game 2 featured an incredible comeback with two outs in the ninth, with the injured Max Shrock pinch-hitting a two-run, game-tying homer. Game 3 wasn't nearly as dramatic, but our bullpen has still not allowed a run this season. Given that we have trips to Kentucky and Tennessee on deck, this was an important series win.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn takes the road series from Tennessee and is looking for a sweep tomorrow. After a decidedly shaky start to the Sonny Golloway regime they might be knocking on the door of the top 25 pretty soon. Offense is looking less lethargic and the weekend rotation is really solid.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I am so drat happy right now. We just took the series from Vandy and I was just hoping we could steal one. Loving to see ole Ross Mitchell starting for us.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Lexington is to baseball what Knoxville is to football: ain't a drat thing goes right when we play up there. Hopefully we can avoid getting swept by Kentucky today, but really, the bigger concern is Jordan Montgomery's gradual descent into some very bad pitching. Not what you expect or want from your third-year ace.

e: Whew -- sweep avoided. I'll take it.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 23, 2014

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

gently caress, Tulane is really trying to blow this game against LSU. We've had the bases loaded three different times in 6 innings and we only came away with 2 runs. Now its 2-2 going to the bottom of the 7th with likely a new pitcher for LSU. They have better depth in every aspect of the game, we really needed to smack the starter around when we had the chance.

If we have a chance of beating them its going to be at home, not in Baton Rouge.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 26, 2014

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Grayly Squirrel posted:

gently caress, Tulane is really trying to blow this game against LSU. We've had the bases loaded three different times in 6 innings and we only came away with 2 runs. Now its 2-2 going to the bottom of the 7th with likely a new pitcher for LSU. They have better depth in every aspect of the game, we really needed to smack the starter around when we had the chance.

If we have a chance of beating them its going to be at home, not in Baton Rouge.

Still 2-2 in the 9th; y'all have a chance to beat us in a house or with a mouse this year. Starting rotation is good, but our AB's & baserunning are way behind where they were last year.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Still 2-2 in the 9th; y'all have a chance to beat us in a house or with a mouse this year. Starting rotation is good, but our AB's & baserunning are way behind where they were last year.

Holy poo poo. Well, never been happier to eat crow. We somehow pull out a 3-2 win in the 11th. Not happy with how many pitchers we burned, but beating LSU is worth it.

EDIT

Still trying to figure out how this team beats LSU in extra innings, but drops a game 7-3 to lowly UNO, and loses a series to Sacred Heart (no idea who they even are without looking it up). Inconsistency is the mark of a young team, I guess.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 26, 2014

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Holy poo poo. Well, never been happier to eat crow. We somehow pull out a 3-2 win in the 11th. Not happy with how many pitchers we burned, but beating LSU is worth it.

EDIT

Still trying to figure out how this team beats LSU in extra innings, but drops a game 7-3 to lowly UNO, and loses a series to Sacred Heart (no idea who they even are without looking it up). Inconsistency is the mark of a young team, I guess.

I told you! I know it's early & seasons change on a dime, but this is shaping up to be one of the worst LSU teams I've ever seen. Our Fri-Sat-Sun mound guys are fine, but everything else is a question mark. See:

quote:

@TreyMongrue: #LSU has scored a total of 6 runs in its last 33 innings of baseball & are averaging just over 6 hits in that span.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I told you! I know it's early & seasons change on a dime, but this is shaping up to be one of the worst LSU teams I've ever seen. Our Fri-Sat-Sun mound guys are fine, but everything else is a question mark. See:

This gives me a small glimmer of hope that maybe we can pull out the series in the Box this year.

We've been in a sorta similar situation as y'all with fairly solid pitching but inconsistent ABs.

Our AICHE chapter managed to get Dow to sponsor a trip to Baton Rouge for a plant tour on the weekend of that series, but spots filled up before I could get in. Cut my life into pieces.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn has inexcusably dropped the home series against Mizzou, who appeared to be the worst team in the conference, and has thrown away any momentum they appeared to have after opening conference play with series wins against A&M and at Tennessee. Now we can only pray the weakest leg of our weekend rotation finds a way to avoid the sweep tomorrow.

Sonny Golloway has delivered visible improvement but the 4-3, 4-2 kind of losses you take in this "smallball" style are so frustrating.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina clinched the series against Tennessee today with two walk-off wins -- Jordan Gore pinch-hit a homer in the 14th for the first and Grayson Greiner had a two-out grand slam in the bottom of the ninth for the other. Perhaps most importantly, Jordan Montgomery pitched a solid Game 1, which was good to see after the rough outings he's had. Tennessee has been surprisingly good this year, so this is a nice series win to have in hand after taking that loss to Kentucky.

e: :sweep: for the Cocks. Great weekend.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 30, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia's gonna take 2 out of 3 against #22 TAMU and could grab a sweep today.

There's hope in Athens somehow.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It's so hard to get a read on this Miami team but they swept #25 NC State this weekend so that's something.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
UF sweeps LSU this weekend. I'm hoping that the Tigers are just in a slump and will peak later (like Miss. St. last year). My eyes tell me that LSU just doesn't have a very good team this year.

:(

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's so hard to get a read on this Miami team but they swept #25 NC State this weekend so that's something.

9 straight conference losses for NC State. Underachieving as always, in every sport.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA ace Nate Kirby struck out 18 tonight along the way to no-hitting Pitt. I would add that it's just Pitt, but they're actually coping decently in the ACC so far.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
I don't normally pay much attention to this thread but a random ESPN highlight reel informs me that Ole Miss managed to hit a walk-off home run on an intentional walk attempt by Auburn which is pretty hilarious.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Basil Hayden posted:

I don't normally pay much attention to this thread but a random ESPN highlight reel informs me that Ole Miss managed to hit a walk-off home run on an intentional walk attempt by Auburn which is pretty hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJV-vHhbdg&t=60s

This must be payment due for football season and Bruce Pearl (still a bargain.) Thought we had something going opening conference play with series wins against A&M and Tennessee but since we've dropped a home series to Mizzou, gotten hammered midweek by Samford and now this? Must've just been flukes.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

We dropped our second SEC series of the year against Arkansas yesterday. Fayetteville is a tough place to play, and although we avoided getting swept, we were behind the eight ball pretty much all weekend. Our bullpen is still incredible and the starting pitching has (mostly) gotten back on track, but the bats have gone silent. We committed some really awful errors, too, which didn't help. This team just didn't look like themselves for much of the series, so hopefully they can shake it off.

Fortunately our schedule eases up a bit over the next few weeks, and a 25-5 record to this point is still pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

what the gently caress clemson

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 7, 2014

• Locked thread