Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
---
This poll is closed.
Go Heat! 96 28.15%
Go Spurs! 245 71.85%
Total: 341 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I will make one really mild prediction:

Whichever team wins, I doubt this series will go less than six games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Jesus Christ that poo poo that happened to Taj's cousin is sad and downright disturbing.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Heat in Six because its the only way we are winning. Also yes gently caress Skip and gently caress Michelle Beadle. These are the face of spurs fans in the media shameful.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Taj Gibson also had three close friends die (separate incidents, two shootings and a car accident) within two months of each other back in 2010.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

pylb posted:

Taj Gibson also had three close friends die (separate incidents, two shootings and a car accident) within two months of each other back in 2010.
So are you implying he may have orchestrated these killings? There are rumors of the Bulls org looking to hold a press conference soon...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

according to Woj Taj might be associated with a gang that had been founded by Nick Van Excel's son...!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 3, 2014

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vire posted:

Heat in Six because its the only way we are winning. Also yes gently caress Skip and gently caress Michelle Beadle. These are the face of spurs fans in the media shameful.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
What's wrong with Michelle Beadle? I pick I don't know in 6 games because gently caress making predictions.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm legitimately excited for this series! I hope it goes to 7 games again :)

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
If y'all haven't listened to this amazing Dan Le Batard rant at Indy yet then do yourself a favour and enjoy

http://www.theticketmiami.com/the-dan-lebatard-show/2014/06/02/june-2-2014-the-dan-le-batard-show

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Bashez posted:

Thanks for opening the N/V thread with a giant troll.

Did you want me to add a point saying the Heat had the worst fans while the Spurs had the best fans. Because it's obviously not true.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

And no Bashez don't reply back to me I know your dumb nerdy point, the boring part was referring to the way the Spurs present themselves nationally if it makes you feel any better

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Apparently Shane Battier is going to be a TV analyst after the finals

jesus loving christ

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

For college hoops

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I can't wait to see Kawhi guarding Lebron

Watch Diaw guard Lebron for a while.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

why'd you photoshop a mid-transition Steve Urkel-Stefan Urquelle into that picture I don't remember him being in that picture

Deadbeat Dad posted:

In an elevator with a butcher knife no less.

Also there has been butcher knife related death(s) in that area the past couple of weeks. Seems sort of serial killery and random, but still I hope they gently caress that guy with his knives.

You're probably thinking of a Cleaver, which is cartoonish and kind of rare and likely difficult to murder with because of the lack of stabbing tip. A butcher's knife can almost be any ol' heavy sharp knife, usually like seven to fourteen inches.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

toggle posted:

I'm legitimately excited for this series! I hope it goes to 7 games again :)

I'm illegitimately excited :gizz:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MVP posted:

The Lil B curse is better and more fun than the Portland curse which was dormant for the majority of the year (poor Aldrigde)

I want the Heat to lose but at least it won't be OKC gently caress off defense (besides Shane Battier)

Also maybe Dirty Wade will make an appearance.

I think at some point Lil B officially lifted The Based God Curse from the Thunder, but then he put out that song and challenged Durant to a game of one of one so I guess it's probably back on.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It wasn't just a song challenging him to one on one, it was a straight up gently caress Kevin Durant. The Based God Curse is real folks.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

I think at some point Lil B officially lifted The Based God Curse from the Thunder, but then he put out that song and challenged Durant to a game of one of one so I guess it's probably back on.
get familiar

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/an-outsiders-guide-to-the-lil-b-kevin-durant-beef/

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Phil Jackson already paying dividends.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

@LamarJose

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Homestar Runner posted:

Apparently Shane Battier is going to be a TV analyst after the finals

jesus loving christ

Shane was way overrated after that NYT article but I think the backlash has swung too far back in the other direction. He's a legit smart dude and was a huge factor in Lebron's metamorphosis into an inhuman efficiency machine. My only concern is whether he'll be able to effectively communicate his insight to national audiences.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I think he will be. I saw him talking about how to play defense on great scorers (Kobe specifically) and it was great.

How did Battier factor into LBJ's growth as a player?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Steven Adams' Exit Interview posted:

What surprised you most about Year 1 in NBA life?

What surprised me? Probably the biggest thing is the private planes. Wow, that thing’s amazing. Got all the food on there, a bunch of drinks. I don’t know, It’s just amazing, never seen nothing like it. Tables, tables on planes, that’s amazing.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Muting Battier would not be enough for me. I'd still see his self-satisfied smirk on screen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That's like exactly what I said!

Sneaky Fast posted:

Like most things Shane Battier does the impact is probably overrated, but he encouraged him to work more with the Heat analytics people.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I have no horse in this race. Spurs or Heat in 7. Go Basketball! :woop:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

:siren: The final round of the sas playoff picks game has began! See details at: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626259

Go down in history as the one guy on sas who got every single finals pick right. :vd:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Sneaky Fast posted:

I think he will be. I saw him talking about how to play defense on great scorers (Kobe specifically) and it was great.

I can't find the article but Battier was the first/only player in the league to buy into analytics (the team dokmo would make an advanced metrics notebook for each matchup and Shane would be the only player to receive a copy), and when he signed with Miami he explained them to Lebron and turned him into an analysts wet dream that posts up a lot and shoots corner 3s.

Obv some of that can be attributed to the Miami coaching staff or his natural progression as a player, but his efficiency only skyrocketed after Battier signed with the Heat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

but his efficiency only skyrocketed after Battier signed with the Heat.

I think that had WAY more to do with the team being more comfortable playing together and Spo opening up that offense into something that Lebron could play off-ball in more effectively, in addition to filling in some big gaps. Battier may have helped a little bit or whatever, but I think if there was any help it was pretty small.

Like, if Battier didn't sign and they used that money elsewhere, Lebron's ORTG would be within a couple points and still be otherworldly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The crux of Lebron James and the Heat in general becoming the super efficient small-ball team was by accident. They didn't embrace the Lebron-PF as a core tactic until Bosh went out with an injury during their 1st championship run.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Also fairly certain Battier is the guy that convinced Bosh to step back a foot or two from his usual mid-range game to develop his 3 point shot.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I guess I'm just turning into a sour old rear end in a top hat, but I feel like I couldn't be less excited to see the exact same finals we saw last year and I probably won't even watch most of it.

I hate repeat finalists in sports, and having both finalists be repeats from the previous year is just crap.

I know and can appreciate that these are two of the best teams of all-time we are seeing play in these finals, but I find very little compelling about seeing who will get either their 3rd or 5th championships. I guess it would be nice for the new human victory cigar Greg Oden to get a ring. Go Heat I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ty1990 posted:

Also fairly certain Battier is the guy that convinced Bosh to step back a foot or two from his usual mid-range game to develop his 3 point shot.

He told him that, but Bosh had been experimenting with threes for the last couple years. He just didn't shoot very many before this year because he wasn't any good at it.

Shane Battier is an NBA player who talks like a college professor and seems like he plays hard so people like him and want to give him credit for all kinds of stuff he doesn't actually do.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MourningView posted:

Shane Battier is an NBA player who talks like a college professor and seems like he plays hard so people like him and want to give him credit for all kinds of stuff he doesn't actually do.

You forgot handsome.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I can't find the article but Battier was the first/only player in the league to buy into analytics (the team dokmo would make an advanced metrics notebook for each matchup and Shane would be the only player to receive a copy), and when he signed with Miami he explained them to Lebron and turned him into an analysts wet dream that posts up a lot and shoots corner 3s.

Obv some of that can be attributed to the Miami coaching staff or his natural progression as a player, but his efficiency only skyrocketed after Battier signed with the Heat.

Is all this just speculation and fanfiction based on those Battier quotes where he said "LeBron has gotten really into analytics" or what

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Libertine posted:

I guess I'm just turning into a sour old rear end in a top hat, but I feel like I couldn't be less excited to see the exact same finals we saw last year and I probably won't even watch most of it.

I hate repeat finalists in sports, and having both finalists be repeats from the previous year is just crap.

I know and can appreciate that these are two of the best teams of all-time we are seeing play in these finals, but I find very little compelling about seeing who will get either their 3rd or 5th championships. I guess it would be nice for the new human victory cigar Greg Oden to get a ring. Go Heat I guess.

Do you not just enjoy watching good basketball? Sure it would be cooler if it was Suns Raptors but this should be a cool series. Granted last year there were really only 3 or 4 good games out of 7, but those were really cool games.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Shane Battier is Duke.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cisneros posted:

Shane Battier is Duke.

His game is seriously Duke and gently caress and I don't know why everyone gives him a pass for it. I guess because he isn't white, but he still managed to overcome that to be the Dukeiest player in history.

And yeah if you're hating on this series just because it's a repeat then I don't even know why you watch basketball. Last year was one of the best series in NBA history. Unless it's your team involved I don't understand caring more about the name on the jersey than the actual quality of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Libertine posted:

Look at it this way, the Heat are in the top 5 for overall teams despite coming out of the weak east, and so are the Spurs from coming out of the strong west. These are probably the two top teams in the league playing each other, which means we get to watch a good series of the best basketball the world has to offer.

There's going to be a ton of athleticism and technical skill displayed and two really good coaches trying to outcoach each other on a repeat from last year's finals. I'd be more pissed if some lovely east team snuck in and the Finals were a complete route like the Super Bowl was this year.

• Locked thread