Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ideal Jeff Jarrett Challenger?
Alberto El Patron
AJ Styles
Bobby Lashley
Tyler Black (Final Battle is after his non-compete is up)
View Results

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I've been trying to make a point and watch ROH TV every week since I found out we get it locally but it comes on at midnight when I'm not usually watching TV.

I'll try again tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Is this the episode with the Bullet Club vs. ACH/Cedric/Sydal six-man or is that next week?

main event this week

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think I heard Steve Austin during that BC promo, was he off camera? is it because he cannot appear with the BC until his Legends Contract expires?

#AskQuestions

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I think I heard Steve Austin during that BC promo, was he off camera? is it because he cannot appear with the BC until his Legends Contract expires?

#AskQuestions

https://vine.co/v/Ot9KEOqnamM

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Watch this week's episode for the main event alone.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
6-man tag is almost as fun on TV as it was in person, nth-ing to go watch it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it was a fun match but man did ach nearly kill himself

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can I just say even though I don't watch NJPW right now (I'm probably gonna get NJPW World at some point, I just am waiting for a money situation to become more clear) I am so loving happy for AJ Styles? And TNA should've made them clearly and unequivocally The Guy when he was doing the Not Sting gimmick against the Aces & 8's. Swear to God I think they'd be better off.

Such a great wrestler and TNA wasted him so so badly.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can I just say even though I don't watch NJPW right now (I'm probably gonna get NJPW World at some point, I just am waiting for a money situation to become more clear) I am so loving happy for AJ Styles? And TNA should've made them clearly and unequivocally The Guy when he was doing the Not Sting gimmick against the Aces & 8's. Swear to God I think they'd be better off.

Such a great wrestler and TNA wasted him so so badly.

It's so nice how New Japan can have four or more guys who are all credible in terms of their ability to hold the belt, and then have that IC title on Nakamura who is also a badass and could probably be a world title contender. WWE used to be like that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

It's so nice how New Japan can have four or more guys who are all credible in terms of their ability to hold the belt, and then have that IC title on Nakamura who is also a badass and could probably be a world title contender. WWE used to be like that.

In the last 4 years the IWGP title has been held by 3 guys.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

In the last 4 years the IWGP title has been held by 3 guys.

Sanguinia posted:

I didn't say anything about actually having it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

I didn't say anything about actually having it.

If no one else holds it who are these people who are credible? They have people who are credible to come up as minor challengers but outside of AJ, Tanahashi, Okada and Nakamura they don't have another credible champion caliber wrestler right now. They have a lot of guys who can step into the challenger role but they haven't groomed too many guys who can be a credible champion. They can still do that, but so could WWE. WWE has probably had more challengers for the belt in the last year too. New Japan is doing a much better job with their title but it sure isn't because they have a lot of credible champions, it's because they have two great guys to carry the world title and now they may have gotten AJ back to that level after a misstep.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Give the belt to Honma and have him hold it undefeated for over a year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kojima and nagata would be credible but they're 40+ and had runs in the past.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think shibata, if protected for long enough, would be at that level

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

minoru suzuki posted:

i think shibata, if protected for long enough, would be at that level

Yeah I've been high on Shibata for a while, I feel like he has a cool aura about him.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

What about Naito? He's a heavyweight right?

It's weird to have to think about weight classes in addition to overness, skill and perceived credibility.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sanguinia posted:

What about Naito? He's a heavyweight right?

It's weird to have to think about weight classes in addition to overness, skill and perceived credibility.

They tried to push Naito up there and the crowd revolted so bad they had to headline WK8 with the IC belt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

naito is probably on the goto tier of just being absolutely stuck in the upper midcard

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I like Naito, but now that Ibushi's heavyweight he gives them the same type of guy who to me seems just a little bit better in most areas.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sydal vs. Cedric added to the Vegas PPV. That show is loving loaded.

code:
-Jay Briscoe vs. Hanson vs. Tomasso Ciampa vs. Michael Elgin

-Jay Lethal vs. Alberto El Patron

-Young Bucks vs. Red Dragon

-AJ Styles vs. ACH

-ODB vs. Maria

-Bennett/Taven vs. Daniels/Kazarian vs. Gallows/Anderson

-Roderick Strong vs. BJ Whitmer

-Matt Sydal vs. Cedric Alexander

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ACH in a singles match against the IWGP Heavyweight champion is not something I'd normally expect....

Yeah, on paper that looks like their best card outside of the NJPW co-branded shows last Spring in quite some time.

Also, I definitely need to catch the AJ/Bucks trios match when it's uploaded Thursday. I've been watching on TV for the past month but missed it this weekend.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

ACH in a singles match against the IWGP Heavyweight champion is not something I'd normally expect....

Yeah, on paper that looks like their best card outside of the NJPW co-branded shows last Spring in quite some time.

Also, I definitely need to catch the AJ/Bucks trios match when it's uploaded Thursday. I've been watching on TV for the past month but missed it this weekend.

Eh, Styles has to win and it's really not going to hurt ACH any.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Eh, Styles has to win and it's really not going to hurt ACH any.

Oh, it should be a very goodmatch, just kinda funny to see guy who's the closest thing ROH has to Honma be the one to get to face Styles

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AJ's gonna make ACH look like a million bucks. Which won't be hard because ACH is really good. Either that or ROH is so pissed at ACH they're hoping AJ will break his neck on the Styles Clash.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the main event is easily the most underwhelming part of the card and I'm still very excited to watch it

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That card is so goddamn good even with Roddy in a throwaway match with BJ Whitmer.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Thauros posted:

It was booked before he won the title and I'm pretty roh just asked on twitter "who do you want AJ Styles to face in Las Vegas" like they did with El Patròn.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

That card is so goddamn good even with Roddy in a throwaway match with BJ Whitmer.

That's actually probably the match with the longest build since they used to be stablemates.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Thauros posted:

That's actually probably the match with the longest build since they used to be stablemates.

That doesn't mean I actually want to see BJ Whitmer wrestle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's a shame because they've had some good matches in the past.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think his point is that it's not throwaway. Throwaway implies the booker was all as such as "Bah bah bah bah rodddy we need whitmer to catch one on ya bah bah bah bah go 12 minutes to fill time bah bah bah" when there is in fact a storyline reason for the match.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 17, 2015

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think his point is that it's not throwaway. Throwaway implies the booker was all as such as "Bah bah bah bah rodddy we need whitmer to catch one on ya bah bah bah bah go 12 minutes to fill time bah bah bah" when there is in fact a storyline reason for the match.

Alright maybe that was a bad way to phrase it, just let me have my seething hatred towards an undercard heel that keeps getting TV time. I didn't say it was rational.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Alright maybe that was a bad way to phrase it, just let me have my seething hatred towards an undercard heel that keeps getting TV time. I didn't say it was rational.

BJ is so good at his job.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'd much rather BJ Whitmer get TV time than QT Marshall

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think BJ is more bland than bad. He's tolerable with a decent opponent, which Roddy is.

I'm expecting some kind of gently caress finish where Dijak joins the Decade though.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

BJ vs. Jimmy Jacobs was the best cage match I've ever seen. That weekend was my first ever live ROH experience and boy was it great.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Briscoe's doing an AMA in an hour

https://www.facebook.com/ringofhonor/posts/10153040511366328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Well, no good's going to come from that.

Should have gotten Mark to do it.

• Locked thread