Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
:eyepop: Holy poo poo dat OP. :eyepop:

I'm dreading this fight as much as any sporting event I can remember. This one really does feel like the Bad Guy could win. And not like, "that team I don't like" type Bad Guy. Mayweather is a legit Bad Person, and it hurts me to see how loving good he is at this sport. But my thinking is, it'll can be a win-win: either Mayweather will win and I'll try to just focus on how goddamn amazing his technique is, or Pacquiao will win and I can celebrate without feeling bad about myself.

Go Manny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bradzilla posted:

:eyepop:

I don't give a single poo poo about this fight but that is a drat impressive OP.

I want to give a poo poo but I know this will go to a decision and I'm too cynical to think it will be a real one.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

LordPants posted:

A testament to how big this fight is, already we've had more than the usual 5 guys who normally post in the boxing threads!

I've been looking forward to this fight for years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I might wake up at 4am to watch this fight since its finally happening but I'm sure it won't be worth it

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Jose posted:

I might wake up at 4am to watch this fight since its finally happening but I'm sure it won't be worth it

I'm hoping it'll surprise us, since anyone who knows poo poo about boxing (or watches it regularly) thinks this is going to be another Mayweather Clinic Decision.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

LordPants posted:

A testament to how big this fight is, already we've had more than the usual 5 guys who normally post in the boxing threads!

Sometimes I forget that some things exist on the forums. I only think to post in super nerdy threads on SA.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
One of the best OPs for a fight ever. Definitely did the occasion justice, well done sir.

Predicting Manny by fuckery, then they'll rematch in a year.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I don't know if you've heard it, but awesome OP.

I stopped following Boxing after the fist negotiations fell through so I'm not entirely sure how these guys have aged but Manny is probably one of my favorite boxers ever so it's going to break my heart if he loses.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

just watched the 3rd morales fight. i think the right hook is gonna be manny's shot more than the straight left tbh. especially with how floyd drops his left when he throws a right

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
In the Manny fights I have seen, I notice he leaves his head open to a lot of punishment when he goes on the offensive, especially when he does the 1-2 combo that I seem to see him doing all the time. This was infamously exploited in his fourth fight against JMM. If this is the trend, Floyd will land his counterpunches all night and coast to a victory.

Am I accurate in my assessment of Pacquiao? Or have I just been watching fights where he isn't scared of the other guy's punching power?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

Memento posted:

I know next to nothing about boxing, so forgive me if this is a stupid question: does Manny at least have a puncher's chance of catching Floyd off guard with a flurry and getting a lucky knockout? I realise Floyd is incredibly good defensively, so probably not.

As others have said already, Manny has more than a puncher's chance. He has a lot of attributes that when stacked together could give Floyd a real fight. He's a very busy fighter with great conditioning, and if he can maintain good activity he'll already distinguish himself from most Mayweather opponents who get drawn into the mindset of "don't get countered." He's got great footwork and can fight mid-range, meaning he doesn't need to rely on blindly coming forward and hoping he lands. Rather, he can pick and choose his angles from some distance and keep Floyd off-guard as to where he's approaching. Finally, he's a good all-around boxer which I think some people forget when they think of Manny Pacquiao. A lot of people still have an image of him as a KO artist but his defense is underrated.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cole posted:

In the Manny fights I have seen, I notice he leaves his head open to a lot of punishment when he goes on the offensive, especially when he does the 1-2 combo that I seem to see him doing all the time. This was infamously exploited in his fourth fight against JMM. If this is the trend, Floyd will land his counterpunches all night and coast to a victory.

Am I accurate in my assessment of Pacquiao? Or have I just been watching fights where he isn't scared of the other guy's punching power?

It's a byproduct of being an offensive-minded fighter. Manny has pretty good defense when he's careful and settles down. His defense isn't so good when he's trying to press a fight, but he tends not to do that unless either the other guy is giving him nothing or he thinks he's on his way to stopping somebody.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I think Pacquiao's best chance for a KO is to catch Mayweather when Mayweather does his pullcounter. I realize it's easier said than done, but when Mayweather fought Maidana and Maidana landed that flush shot at the end of one of the rounds, had that happened earlier in the round I think Mayweather would've gone down. If you noticed, he had zero legs after that punch and used the ropes to get back to his corner after the bell.

When Mosley popped Mayweather in their fight, I'm pretty sure Mayweather was holding on to Mosley's arm for dear life to keep himself upright.

But then again Mosley landed another hard shot shortly after and Mayweather didn't go down even though his knees buckled, so my opinion could be just piss in the wind. Basically, if you land a flush shot on Mayweather like Mosley and Maidana had, you have to find a way to capitalize immediately. Unfortunately Mayweather's boxing IQ and defense just doesn't allow that to happen.

But we all know how to beat Mayweather when we are watching the fight instead of participating in it.

But if I'm paying $100 for this fight a KO better not happen within the first eight rounds :mad:

Cole fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cole posted:

When Mosley popped Mayweather in their fight, I'm pretty sure Mayweather was holding on to Mosley's arm for dear life to keep himself upright.

But then again Mosley landed another hard shot shortly after and Mayweather didn't go down even though his knees buckled, so my opinion could be just piss in the wind. Basically, if you land a flush shot on Mayweather like Mosley and Maidana had, you have to find a way to capitalize immediately.

Mosley had Mayweather hurt bad, but Mayweather put 100% of his effort into tying up and nullifying Mosley and pulled it off brilliantly. I don't really think there's capitalizing immediately off a hurt Mayweather. You'd really have to put him down to get him to not be able to defend.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
I don't follow boxing too much, but I know Mayweather and I would love nothing more than to see that arrogant fucker go down.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
When is the last time we had someone go 50-0? I know of Rocky Marciano going 49-0.

I'm that guy who roots for the Patriots to go 19-0 because I don't think I'll ever see that happen in my lifetime, and I would like to see history get made. So I'm rooting for Mayweather to go 50-0 just because of the historical implications.

That said, for some reason I would be more worried about GGG beating him than I am Manny Pacquiao.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cole posted:

I think Pacquiao's best chance for a KO is to catch Mayweather when Mayweather does his pullcounter. I realize it's easier said than done, but when Mayweather fought Maidana and Maidana landed that flush shot at the end of one of the rounds, had that happened earlier in the round I think Mayweather would've gone down. If you noticed, he had zero legs after that punch and used the ropes to get back to his corner after the bell.

But then again Mosley landed another hard shot shortly after and Mayweather didn't go down even though his knees buckled, so my opinion could be just piss in the wind. Basically, if you land a flush shot on Mayweather like Mosley and Maidana had, you have to find a way to capitalize immediately. Unfortunately Mayweather's boxing IQ and defense just doesn't allow that to happen.

But we all know how to beat Mayweather when we are watching the fight instead of participating in it.

But if I'm paying $100 for this fight a KO better not happen within the first eight rounds :mad:

You wouldn't pay $100 to see Floyd take a one-punch out-cold knockout in round 1? I sure would. Even as a Floyd fan. :lol:

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
What round can boxers perform their Fatality?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Pacquiao hasn't stopped anyone in like 6 years, he certainly aint KOing Mayweather

Cole posted:

That said, for some reason I would be more worried about GGG beating him than I am Manny Pacquiao.

Golovkin probably would beat him

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cole posted:

When is the last time we had someone go 50-0? I know of Rocky Marciano going 49-0.

I'm that guy who roots for the Patriots to go 19-0 because I don't think I'll ever see that happen in my lifetime, and I would like to see history get made. So I'm rooting for Mayweather to go 50-0 just because of the historical implications.

Supposedly Mayweather has two fights left in him: this fight, and a fight in September and then he's done.

I think there are instances of guys going like 60-0 before losing (Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. comes to mind if I'm remembering right) but nobody has retired with a better record than Marciano.

More impressive than Mayweather going 50-0, in my opinion, would be if he can capture the middleweight title via a rematch with Cotto. That would make Mayweather a simultaneous lineal champ in three weight classes (147, 154 and 160). Him being the lineal champ in those classes may be a little questionable as he beat Guerrero and Alvarez to earn the two lineal spots he already has, and Cotto isn't a middleweight, but it would still be a big historical accomplishment.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Cotto would much rather take another shot at Floyd than get fed to GGG anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

$100 for a three fight card.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My friend created this top 20 list to justify keeping Floyd out after we argued for a while.

1) Sugar Ray Robinson
2) Henry Armstrong
3) Willie Pep
4) Harry Greb
5) Roberto Duran
6) Joe Louis
7) Joe Gans
8) Ezzard Charles
9) Muhammad Ali
10) Pernell Whitaker
11) Sandy Saddler
12) Rocky Marciano
13) Carlos Monzon
14) Alexis Arguello
15) Marvin Hagler
16) Jack Dempsey
17) Archie Moore
18) Jimmy Wilde
19) Sam Langford
20) Benny Leonard

It's insane to me.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

My friend created this top 20 list to justify keeping Floyd out after we argued for a while.

1) Sugar Ray Robinson
2) Henry Armstrong
3) Willie Pep
4) Harry Greb
5) Roberto Duran
6) Joe Louis
7) Joe Gans
8) Ezzard Charles
9) Muhammad Ali
10) Pernell Whitaker
11) Sandy Saddler
12) Rocky Marciano
13) Carlos Monzon
14) Alexis Arguello
15) Marvin Hagler
16) Jack Dempsey
17) Archie Moore
18) Jimmy Wilde
19) Sam Langford
20) Benny Leonard

It's insane to me.

Owns

VV Agreed.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 29, 2015

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's not a bad list tbf. I wouldn't argue with anyone having Floyd in or out of an all time list. Not fighting Pacquiao in 09/10 will be forever held against him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hagler at 15 makes me cry. Even if it's justifiable

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

Hagler at 15 makes me cry. Even if it's justifiable

Carlos Monzon was a really bad motherfucker

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Tyson in his prime should be on that list if you could include just portions of people's careers.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I guess it shows why pound for pound all time lists are pretty dumb

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Cole posted:

Tyson in his prime should be on that list if you could include just portions of people's careers.

Agreed, he sorta fell off a cliff at the end there but he was scary for a long time. Definitely earned the "baddest man on the planet" name.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

LionYeti posted:

Agreed, he sorta fell off a cliff at the end there but he was scary for a long time. Definitely earned the "baddest man on the planet" name.

Tyson's peak was pretty short at 3-4 years. He was still scary after his peak, but he was half the fighter post Douglas. His time inside pretty much wrapped it up, although he did get a belt on his comeback.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

I guess it shows why pound for pound all time lists are pretty dumb

I try to avoid all-time discussion given that I'm not much of a boxing historian and there are a lot of top guys that I haven't seen tape of or don't know much about.

With that said I think time will be kind to the legacies of Manny and Floyd. Between the two of them they fought and beat a lot of really good fighters and they'll be remembered at least with the same reverence that the Four Kings of the 1980s get today. I fully expect the winner of this Saturday's fight to be featured in top 10 / top 20 lists in the near future. I also think it's surprising that Bernard Hopkins never gets brought up in ATG discussions as I think his career accomplishments are impressive in their own right and comparable to many of the guys your friend has ranked.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I like the idea of taking the best one or two years of a fighter's career to make a list. If you're going to do that, late 80's/early 90's Tyson is scary as gently caress.

Then again, if you're going to do that, Sugar Ray Robinson could make the list two or three times.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

I try to avoid all-time discussion given that I'm not much of a boxing historian and there are a lot of top guys that I haven't seen tape of or don't know much about.

With that said I think time will be kind to the legacies of Manny and Floyd. Between the two of them they fought and beat a lot of really good fighters and they'll be remembered at least with the same reverence that the Four Kings of the 1980s get today. I fully expect the winner of this Saturday's fight to be featured in top 10 / top 20 lists in the near future. I also think it's surprising that Bernard Hopkins never gets brought up in ATG discussions as I think his career accomplishments are impressive in their own right and comparable to many of the guys your friend has ranked.

Hopkins is loving awesome but probably wont get the recognition he deserves for a decade. Archie Moore equivalent 50-60 years on.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah didn't even notice no BHop. Was RJJ all time great?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

Certainly, but he really ought to have packed it in a while ago.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Skip My Posts posted:

If he retires after beating Ruiz or even Tarver the first time he's probably borderline top 10 but he's lost so many times in really devastating fashion to boot that you really have to hold it against his legacy.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah if RJJ had retired immediately after the Ruiz fight people would be putting him in the top 10 all time. But he didn't.

Saldvador Sanchez never gets mentioned in these. He had about 10 title defences and beat, what, 3 future hall of famers, and died in a car crash aged 23. Rock n fuckin roll.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

If he retires after beating Ruiz or even Tarver the first time he's probably borderline top 10 but he's lost so many times in really devastating fashion to boot that you really have to hold it against his legacy.

It helps to have some distance in time from the career to really appreciate the fighter overall. Ray Leonard may not be everyone's favourite, but you don't think about his fights with Lalonde, Norris or Camacho when you think about his career, it's more the first 2 Duran fights, the first Hearns fight, the Hagler fight and maybe the Benitez fight. Sure RJJ suffered some beatings but he had around a decade at the top and beat some very good competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

Yeah if RJJ had retired immediately after the Ruiz fight people would be putting him in the top 10 all time. But he didn't.

Saldvador Sanchez never gets mentioned in these. He had about 10 title defences and beat, what, 3 future hall of famers, and died in a car crash aged 23. Rock n fuckin roll.

Good call on Sanchez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgkzIOjr-w

• Locked thread