Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Hmm it seems like TFF is full of myopic fans who think the first 4 or 5 games mean everything in fact there are 16 games in a season. Another house of cards has collapsed. The Falcons are a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think it's less the Falcons are bad and more the hype around them was really strangely overblown. Their set of victories weren't much better than the Panthers (outside of blowing out the Texans) but they hype around them was like they had beaten a bunch of good teams rather than feasting on an early schedule only slightly tougher than Carolina's. They're probably decent but not as good as everyone was saying they were and they have a good chance of wining the NFCS just by having a schedule somehow even weaker than the Panthers.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gorelab posted:

I think it's less the Falcons are bad and more the hype around them was really strangely overblown. Their set of victories weren't much better than the Panthers (outside of blowing out the Texans) but they hype around them was like they had beaten a bunch of good teams rather than feasting on an early schedule only slightly tougher than Carolina's. They're probably decent but not as good as everyone was saying they were and they have a good chance of wining the NFCS just by having a schedule somehow even weaker than the Panthers.

Well they have an easier schedule because they did horribly last year - finishing 3rd in your division and then getting a poo poo load stronger next year tends to work out as you play all the other 3rd placed teams from the previous year in your conference.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

CyberPingu posted:

Well they have an easier schedule because they did horribly last year - finishing 3rd in your division and then getting a poo poo load stronger next year tends to work out as you play all the other 3rd placed teams from the previous year in your conference.

You are literally talking about 2 games per season. That's not gonna make or break your schedule, especially since past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future success. They have an easier schedule because they play the AFC South and NFC East instead of the AFC and NFC North.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

African AIDS cum posted:

Hmm it seems like TFF is full of myopic fans who think the first 4 or 5 games mean everything in fact there are 16 games in a season. Another house of cards has collapsed. The Falcons are a joke.

i think they count as much as the last 11 or 12 games but ill have to get officiating expert mike carey on the horn to confirm

FizFashizzle posted:

They haven't gotten a "poo poo load stronger."

They installed new schemes on both sides of the ball no one has tape on yet.

yes no one has paid attention to Dan Quinn's defenses or Kyle Shanahan's offenses until literally this week

shiksa fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 16, 2015

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

They haven't gotten a "poo poo load stronger."

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

You are literally talking about 2 games per season. That's not gonna make or break your schedule, especially since past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future success. They have an easier schedule because they play the AFC South and NFC East instead of the AFC and NFC North.

So do the Panthers. It was directly in relation to me being a bit wry that they get an even easier one than us. I do think the Falcons have improved a large amount I just don't think they are far and away the best team in the NFCS with the Panthers being super weaker like the media seemed to be crowing about the last few weeks. But I'm a bit of a homer.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gorelab posted:

So do the Panthers. It was directly in relation to me being a bit wry that they get an even easier one than us. I do think the Falcons have improved a large amount I just don't think they are far and away the best team in the NFCS with the Panthers being super weaker like the media seemed to be crowing about the last few weeks. But I'm a bit of a homer.

Please understand that the media and by proxy a lot of football fans are paying attention to teams that have players that perform well in Fantasy Football.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

GaussianCopula posted:

In the NFC 2 games is usually what costs you a playoff birth

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

Silly Burrito posted:

If we just go 3-13 and beat the Falcons one more time, it won't be a successful season, but I'll live with it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NC-17 posted:

Y'all jumping burying the Falcons a little too soon here. They weren't ever really as good as their undefeated record, but they're still a very good team that is probably going to win the South.

I agree with this.

The Panthers are gonna probably improve to 8-8 with atlanta taking the division most likely.

Been saying this since preseason contingent upon our defense sucking (which they do for all but the 2nd half of last nights game).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GaussianCopula posted:

Please understand that the media and by proxy a lot of football fans are paying attention to teams that have players that perform well in Fantasy Football.

This is very annoying. I don't give a poo poo about fantasy football gamboling. Bring back Jimmy the Greek picking winners against the spread, (and being racist) and the Lions kicking field goals with 4 seconds to go down by 21 to cover the spread.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Sure they do. Its not like Kyle Shannahan and Dan Quinn are re-inventing themselves, they're doing what they've always done with different personnel. The Falcons defense is smoke and and mirrors but their offense can put up 24-27 a game with Julio in the lineup.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

If we just go 3-13 and beat the Falcons one more time, it won't be a successful season, but I'll live with it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

If you think that's bad, you should watch what people say in the middle of games when their team is ahead before they get exposed as garbage

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cavauro posted:

If you think that's bad, you should watch what people say in the middle of games when their team is ahead before they get exposed as garbage

Its fun watching Saints / Falcons games in the TFF GDT because the fans from both teams know whats up and that chaos could reign at any time.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Its fun watching Saints / Falcons games in the TFF GDT because the fans from both teams know whats up and that chaos could reign at any time.

such as things like a center who's allowed to play for a team in the national football league snapping the ball into his own rear end in a top hat twice in a half

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

commy gun posted:

Sure they do. Its not like Kyle Shannahan and Dan Quinn are re-inventing themselves, they're doing what they've always done with different personnel. The Falcons defense is smoke and and mirrors but their offense can put up 24-27 a game with Julio in the lineup.

Regardless of previous destinations these are all new players and all new circumstances. Dan Quinn did something in Seattle he doesn't have the players to do in Atlanta, and Shanahan has better pieces here then he had at previous stops. You're insinuating there never needs to be an adjustment period for new teams simply because tape exists on them somewhere and that's just demonstrably false.

Julio will get his but obviously Freeman is going to cool down and Ryan is currently at Alex Smith levels of ypa.

That Works posted:

FizFashizzle posted:

reminder that the saints beat the falcons all the loving time under worse circumstances.

my prediction: this game will entertain

sword_man.gif posted:

such as things like a center who's allowed to play for a team in the national football league snapping the ball into his own rear end in a top hat twice in a half

:feelsgood:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

African AIDS cum posted:

Oh, so it's the 6th game that's the bellweather. Who knew.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Huh. I suddenly feel the urge to misuse the term quarter pole.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

You're insinuating there never needs to be an adjustment period for new teams simply because tape exists on them somewhere and that's just demonstrably false.

There's staple plays and concepts for Kyle Shannahan's offense that you can see in his previous stops. Zone blocking, play action boots, bubble screens (ugh), there are absolutely things you know are coming when you play against certain teams/head coaches/coordinators. Its not the end all in game planning but it'd certainly help.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
loving stop shooting yourself in the foot, Falcons, TIA.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
That was about a ugly game I have seen by the Falcons in quite some time, and if they don't literally fumble the game away, they escape the Superdome still undefeated. Saints vs Falcons is always full of this crazy poo poo, so I did not automatically chalk up a W to this game because you just never loving know.

That said, there are some bright spots to hang your hat on if you are a Falcons fan. Mainly, we have a legit running game and we have a legit run defense. The pass protection last night was terrible, and the pass rush was back to non existent, which is cause for concern given the state of the Saints OLine but even with all the miscues, until late the Falcons had a chance.

The Falcons will still win the South this year, Carolina's undefeated record will fall on Sunday and all will be right in the world once more.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Also, gotta give it to the Saints. They played a good game, especially on defense. They deserved the W.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Also, gotta give it to the Saints. They played a good game, especially on defense. They deserved the W.

At least 9, but even conservatively 17 points were left on the field by the Falcons in the first half alone. They literally fumbled the win away from themselves.

The only good to come out of that game is the possibility of a 2016 Rob Ryan Saints defense.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

At least 9, but even conservatively 17 points were left on the field by the Falcons in the first half alone. They literally fumbled the win away from themselves.

The only good to come out of that game is the possibility of a 2016 Rob Ryan Saints defense.

Of course, I referenced that in my first post, but they took advantage, scored where they needed to (they even missed two field goals don't forget) and put us away in the end.

Matt Ryan is starting to piss me off though, he needs to get rid of the ball and not take stupid sacks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Nah that whole organization is about to get blown up and sold/transferred.

The only question is whether or not Loomis will be around next year.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shath Hole posted:

Matt Ryan is starting to piss me off though, he needs to get rid of the ball and not take stupid sacks.

i think he gave up tbh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shath Hole posted:

Thanks. Yeah that 2nd half D was completely unexpected... I did not think we would have adjusted like that for the 2nd. Hadn't seen that from these guys this year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ryan doesn't have a lot of options right now.

If Julio is taken out, and the other team decides to cover Freeman out of the backfield (looking at you Washington) no one else is getting open. Roddy White is basically dead, Tamme and Hankerson are just dudes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

Unless they completely turn around and become ultra dominant, Rob Ryan will not be on the team next year.

Gimme dat ball!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The fact that my team is rapidly fermenting compost does nothing to dampen my enthusiasm for trash talking the Falcons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Woooooo 66% of a winning season. One more win over the falcons and we can pack this up and fire people with pride.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

Unfortunately the Falcons don't have the Rams on their schedule this year, so we can't confirm or deny their fraud status for certain.

If they don't beat the Titans then they will officially be frauds

FizFashizzle posted:

Ryan doesn't have a lot of options right now.

If Julio is taken out, and the other team decides to cover Freeman out of the backfield (looking at you Washington) no one else is getting open. Roddy White is basically dead, Tamme and Hankerson are just dudes.

Free Hardy

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The only chance the Chargers have this week is to get into a shootout with Aaron loving Rodgers and somehow have the ball last.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Cavauro posted:

This is an underappreciated riposte :golfclap:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Main concern for Falcons fans is dropping a divisional game to be 1.5 games behind Carolina in that tie-breaker (0-1 vs 2-0). If one team sweeps the other then it's not going to be an issue, but if they split then Carolina will have one notable advantage.

That being said here are the remaining opponents that don't overlap (i.e. does not include common matches vs Ten, Ind, T.B, and N.O):

Atlanta: @Jac, @S.F, vMin, @T.B

Carolina: @Sea, vG.B, vPhi, @Dal, vWas, @NYG

Dallas is expected to have Romo back by then, so Carolina has many more strong opponents than Atlanta does.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That game briefly had me thinking the Saints were a real team that matters.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Ross Angeles posted:

The only chance the Chargers have this week is to get into a shootout with Aaron loving Rodgers and somehow have the ball last.

I was going to give you poo poo because those of us with teams in the NFC North have to do it twice a year, but lately the other teams in the division (mine included) are so weak it's really a push. Also it sucks when people one-up your poo poo instead of commiserating, so instead I will just say good luck and we feel your pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yaws posted:

That game briefly had me thinking the Saints were a real team that matters.

Had our defense been operating smoothly like that from the beginning of the season we'd probably be undefeated going into that game.

Probably woulda needed a little bit better OL play also though.

• Locked thread