Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

"26.4 percent of People of Color reported experiences of harassment on campus. The reports occurred at a rate higher than statistically predicted as due to chance."
https://diversity.missouri.edu/about/climate/

this quote in itself is can be misleading to people who don't know about survey data without this:

quote:

All undergraduate, graduate and professional students were notified and invited to participate via mass e-mail, MU Info and campus promotions. A self-selection of 3,522 or 12 percent of the student population responded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kayakyakr posted:

Just curious why Washington University is no less evil... Almost wound up going there if it wasn't for out of state tuition (TTU, UT, Washington University in St. Louis, and Colorado School of Mines were really the only schools I did any research into. TTU won out pretty early in that process.)

They are deeply embedded with the elite in St. Louis. You have buildings named after the Mallinckrodt and McKnight families etc as well as carrying water for Peabody Coal and Monsanto. While it's true that the school remained neutral during an adjunct unionizing campaign, it's been nearly a year and there still hasn't been a collectively bargained agreement yet. Washu is just a more sophisticated unionbuster and knows that surrendering the organizing campaign is just like ceding the beachhead to the allies during D-Day; the actual battle doesn't start until the bargaining unit tries to negotiate a contract. That's where you can run out the clock on the union, start firing activists and prominent bargaining unit members, and generally make life miserable until the unit falls apart organically or gets voted out in a decertification election.

Washu is like the rich people in St. Louis in charge of the veiled prophet parade where rich people dress up and parade like literal Klansmen. They're nice enough to put on a public smile and say the right things regarding ferguson and the racism in the metro area but gently caress with them and you'll be on the receiving end of a world of hurt. The one adjunct who fought for a union for years is essentially blacklisted from every working in higher ed ever again and lives off gofundme.com donations collected by the local IWW branch. Dude's also blind and suffered a stroke recently and is a razor edge away from having his utilities shut off and getting evicted.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

kayakyakr posted:

Just curious why Washington University is no less evil... Almost wound up going there if it wasn't for out of state tuition (TTU, UT, Washington University in St. Louis, and Colorado School of Mines were really the only schools I did any research into. TTU won out pretty early in that process.)

Probably because they're a private school.

The racial incidents have been happening before Wolfe was president. When I attended Mizzou (07-11), there was the aforementioned cotton ball incident. I had a friend that had a lot of weird racist things happen to him and I was definitely called a friend of the family and other racial things while I was there.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm going to hunger strike until Valve gives us some straight answers about Half Life 3

Well it was nice knowing you

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Questions of "Is the President really at fault?" can be hard to answer. The current direction of the university is super hosed up. Who do you blame for that if not the person in charge? There are less tangible issues in play here too. Like campus housing. There used to be on campus housing for grad students. There isn't now. This is especially upsetting for international students. There used to be day care services for Graduate instructors. There isn't anymore. The thing you have to remember is that issues with housing, health insurance, and tuition all disproportionately harm students of color. So grad students were already upset, but black grad students in particular were upset. Keep that in mind. So before the student body president got called a friend of the family, we were already operating from a place of extreme frustration. Now, add on to that waiting six days to respond to that issue. Add on to that not even calling that a hate crime because hate crimes require acts of violence, as if calling someone a friend of the family is not a violent action.

So my point is: Yes, race is a hugely important issue on our campus. The president has done nothing of substance to address these problems. For that reason I 100% think calling for his head is justified. But also, it's only a step, yes. We need more than that.

As for the belief that the humanities are calling race due to other offenses, I don't think this is a dishonest fight. While those other offenses hurt everyone, they are rolled into issues of systematic racism.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14087454/missouri-tigers-player-says-team-not-united-practice-boycott

quote:

A Missouri Tigers player said Sunday night that the entire team is not united over the decision to stop practicing until grad student Jonathan Butler ends his hunger strike.

"As much as we want to say everyone is united, half the team and coaches -- black and white -- are pissed," the player, who wished to remain anonymous, told ESPN about stopping all football activities. "If we were 9-0, this wouldn't be happening."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It just seems strange that the protesters are drawing such a line in the sand over a measure (removing the president) that will make so little difference toward the changes they actually want, whatever they are.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

It just seems strange that the protesters are drawing such a line in the sand over a measure (removing the president) that will make so little difference toward the changes they actually want, whatever they are.

They have other explicit demands. It's just resignation is the sexy demand, ya? No one wants to read news stories that read Student Goes on Hunger Strike Til Mizzou Commits to Ensuring 10% of Its Faculty is Black by 2017. You need to sexy demand to create the poo poo storm so you can try to get the constructive demands dealt with in all the madness. At least I assume that's the logic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

youre gonna loving die dude

Gaben knows the pain of hunger.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Frackie Robinson posted:

Presumably, the person that they'd replace him with would be much more invested in improving diversity, and as the president has a lot of power to make the symbolic gestures that they want, it makes sense to replace him with someone more friendly to the cause.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

alpha_destroy posted:

Questions of "Is the President really at fault?" can be hard to answer. The current direction of the university is super hosed up. Who do you blame for that if not the person in charge? There are less tangible issues in play here too. Like campus housing. There used to be on campus housing for grad students. There isn't now. This is especially upsetting for international students. There used to be day care services for Graduate instructors. There isn't anymore. The thing you have to remember is that issues with housing, health insurance, and tuition all disproportionately harm students of color. So grad students were already upset, but black grad students in particular were upset. Keep that in mind. So before the student body president got called a friend of the family, we were already operating from a place of extreme frustration. Now, add on to that waiting six days to respond to that issue. Add on to that not even calling that a hate crime because hate crimes require acts of violence, as if calling someone a friend of the family is not a violent action.

So my point is: Yes, race is a hugely important issue on our campus. The president has done nothing of substance to address these problems. For that reason I 100% think calling for his head is justified. But also, it's only a step, yes. We need more than that.

As for the belief that the humanities are calling race due to other offenses, I don't think this is a dishonest fight. While those other offenses hurt everyone, they are rolled into issues of systematic racism.

This is right--while the racial incidents may be the most visible/reported on aspects of the protests, there's a ton of other stuff (the Planned Parenthood flap, grad student issues, malaise amongst faculty) that are rolled into it. To paraphrase the great Canadian philosopher Jim Lahey, this whole situation started off as shitwinds and has turned into a shitnado.

Also, as another alum ('07-'11, journalism to boot) all I can take away from this is how much Mizzou has changed in the years since I've been gone. Maybe it's because, the cotton ball incident aside (and believe you me, 99.9% of my social circle and people I talked to wanted to put the boots to the two kids--ROTC people if memory serves, since I lost in the "what campus group did this" pool me and a few similarly-humored friends set up in the aftermath--that pulled that poo poo) the amount of activism (at least that I was aware of) was more centered on the Columbia community as a whole rather than just campus (I remember sustained campaigns to get a grocery store in the North Ward, a majority-black part of town and a notorious food desert), maybe it's because I was in the J-school and thus couldn't get involved in much activism because my favorite teacher (who I might add was of color, and sadly isn't there anymore because he took one of those "you'd be a fool to pass this up" job opportunities closer to his home) told us that some people can and will use things against you as proof of "media bias", maybe it's just the change in leadership, or how time and activism and social media has changed campus life since 2011, or maybe it was just my own friends and attitudes sort of inoculating us. Anyway, solidarity, lads, and thank gently caress Mike Alden's gone, because he'd put the kibosh to this boycott due to the fact that it would cost actual money and theoretically hurt the athletic department's reputation with boosters and sponsors.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 9, 2015

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

I think Wolfe's goose is cooked. Not because football. Not because justice. Because calls from the statehouse asking for his resignation have officially become :ghost:biiiiiii-partisaaaaaan:ghost:.

Also :laffo:

This is the worst flyer since Ferguson when a speaker came to my old school, S&T, to tell people interested in law enforcement how to protect yourself from lawsuits.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Never thought i'd see someone from poplar bluff be the voice of reason(money). Hope he wears pants long enough to cover the white gym socks he wears with dress shoes.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I just want someone to hurry up and back down before this poo poo escalates, preferably timewolf and bowtie :(

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Troy Queef posted:

This is right--while the racial incidents may be the most visible/reported on aspects of the protests, there's a ton of other stuff (the Planned Parenthood flap, grad student issues, malaise amongst faculty) that are rolled into it. To paraphrase the great Canadian philosopher Jim Lahey, this whole situation started off as shitwinds and has turned into a shitnado.

Also, as another alum ('07-'11, journalism to boot) all I can take away from this is how much Mizzou has changed in the years since I've been gone. Maybe it's because, the cotton ball incident aside (and believe you me, 99.9% of my social circle and people I talked to wanted to put the boots to the two kids--ROTC people if memory serves, since I lost in the "what campus group did this" pool me and a few similarly-humored friends set up in the aftermath--that pulled that poo poo) the amount of activism (at least that I was aware of) was more centered on the Columbia community as a whole rather than just campus (I remember sustained campaigns to get a grocery store in the North Ward, a majority-black part of town and a notorious food desert), maybe it's because I was in the J-school and thus couldn't get involved in much activism because my favorite teacher (who I might add was of color, and sadly isn't there anymore because he took one of those "you'd be a fool to pass this up" job opportunities closer to his home) told us that some people can and will use things against you as proof of "media bias", maybe it's just the change in leadership, or how time and activism and social media has changed campus life since 2011, or maybe it was just my own friends and attitudes sort of inoculating us. Anyway, solidarity, lads, and thank gently caress Mike Alden's gone, because he'd put the kibosh to this boycott due to the fact that it would cost actual money and theoretically hurt the athletic department's reputation with boosters and sponsors.

For some reason after we left (I graduated in '12) the amount of people interested in social justice skyrocketed. The current MSA body president ran on a campaign bashing the university for being racist and compared himself many times student radicals in the 60s and 70s. I can't remember Xavier Billingsley or Tim Noce (MSA presidents then) making statements critical of the university or running on anything but vague platitudes about how everyone needs to get along.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

For some reason after we left (I graduated in '12) the amount of people interested in social justice skyrocketed. The current MSA body president ran on a campaign bashing the university for being racist and compared himself many times student radicals in the 60s and 70s. I can't remember Xavier Billingsley or Tim Noce (MSA presidents then) making statements critical of the university or running on anything but vague platitudes about how everyone needs to get along.

All I remember about MSA elections was that nine times out of ten they seemed (to my eyes) to be fraternity/sorority pissing contests: I think I voted in a grand total of two of them, and that was because friends of mine were running for positions and I couldn't not give them my support.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

alpha_destroy posted:

I think Wolfe's goose is cooked. Not because football. Not because justice. Because calls from the statehouse asking for his resignation have officially become :ghost:biiiiiii-partisaaaaaan:ghost:.

Also :laffo:

This is the worst flyer since Ferguson when a speaker came to my old school, S&T, to tell people interested in law enforcement how to protect yourself from lawsuits.

Hey, someone from Poplar Bluff is being reasonable. Neat!

I isolated myself from all the Ferguson stuff at S&T because I figured it'd be a bunch of crap like that. Also I'm really not interested in listening to John Deere hat mechanical engineering hayseed #4583 's opinions on St. Louis.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Feranon posted:

Yeah and I think the football team's boycott would be more effective on a year they weren't a loving joke. :shrug: Gotta do what you gotta do I guess

It's still a lot of tv money they're losing, plus the million dollar fee they have to pay BYU (and future opponents?). Money is what will decide this in a hurry.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

what is the "cotton ball incident" and why was it hosed up?

i...kinda expect that it's something horrible but it seems like it's a bit of a turning point.

also, what exactly is the plan to reduce all the racism on campus? just decrying "NO MORE SAYING BAD WORDS" won't exactly fix the underlying issues. are there going to be mandatory minority culture courses? my (private) college made everyone take 2, and they were both pretty awesome. learned a lot about art and stuff that i wouldn't have been exposed to.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

effectual posted:

It's still a lot of tv money they're losing, plus the million dollar fee they have to pay BYU (and future opponents?). Money is what will decide this in a hurry.
They would also owe the Kansas City Chiefs money for breaking a contract.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

what is the "cotton ball incident" and why was it hosed up?

i...kinda expect that it's something horrible but it seems like it's a bit of a turning point.

also, what exactly is the plan to reduce all the racism on campus? just decrying "NO MORE SAYING BAD WORDS" won't exactly fix the underlying issues. are there going to be mandatory minority culture courses? my (private) college made everyone take 2, and they were both pretty awesome. learned a lot about art and stuff that i wouldn't have been exposed to.

Cotton ball incident is some fuckstick spreading cotton balls around, because black folks sure should belove pickin' cotton!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

Cotton ball incident is some fuckstick spreading cotton balls around, because black folks sure should belove pickin' cotton!

what a loving moron.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shakenbaker posted:

Not just that: it was on the courtyard/front lawn of the campus Black Culture Center.

(Also: if memory serves they found the two people that did it, expelled them with prejudice, and they were prosecuted in the Boone County court on charges that did include the hate/bias-crime enhancement.)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

axeil posted:

what a loving moron.

That happened one year at South Carolina too. A white frat did it to a black frat who had just got a frat house in the fancish area where they had a bunch.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
One of the dudes behind the cotton ball incident was an RA in my dorm my freshman year. He had a tattoo of some Gaelic word on his arm, which he assured us wasn't "the language of the gays."

I know people are concerned about campus culture being too sensitive these days, and it seems like poo poo has escalated even in the few years since I graduated, but there was always a pretty strong undercurrent of racial issues at Mizzou and a desire among many minority students to see it addressed in earnest. The fact that Wolfe responded today with a statement saying "I was actually already doing all the things you wanted before you even brought it up - just wait a few more months for proof!" is a pretty bad sign regarding his perception of the situation.

I understand the instinct to say "he's not responsible for idiot teenagers being racist in mid-Missouri" and not give in to the demands of protestors just because they're demanding something. It also doesn't seem like there's all that much he's done to justify keeping him around in light of the shitstorm that's happened on his watch.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
mizzou is probably pretty racist but that list of demands is a hilarious clusterfuck of terrible ideas that not even ridiculously liberal college campuses would put in place. it's like they started with some good ideas on diversity and then jammed the "extremist" slider to 11

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
It's quite a thing when the football coach refuses to practice/play until the university president steps down. All together with the faculty vote, the student protests, and now this I can't imagine him surviving which sounds like a good thing. I'm hoping that if Missouri continues not to play that other teams will sit out as well in solidarity. Arkansas is playing them in a few weeks and I'm thinking this will be resolved by then but I will be completely fine if they also refuse to play.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

13 year old girls posted:

mizzou is probably pretty racist but that list of demands is a hilarious clusterfuck of terrible ideas that not even ridiculously liberal college campuses would put in place. it's like they started with some good ideas on diversity and then jammed the "extremist" slider to 11

I dunno seems like a pretty effective negotiation?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Maty Mauk is tearing this university apart

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
"League of Black Collegians" sounds like the worst superheroes ever.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

13 year old girls posted:

A football helmet filled with cottage cheese

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

A football helmet filled with cottage cheese

67 copies of Moby Dick

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

axeil posted:

That is in fact one of if the demands. They want, among other things, a diversity class requirement. This sounds to me like a good idea.

You're never gonna get rid of racists. It isn't gonna happen. But I think if you prioritize diversity, admit acts of hate are acts of hate, and increase the percentage of black faculty that will go a long way because then even if some idiot white kid says the n-word at least you know your institution has your back. Right now it feels like the administration view the presence of students of color more of a headache than anything else.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I think it says something that the rest of the team is all in.

at least publicly

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

^^they're not.

You're especially not going to get rid of racists in Mid-Missouri.

I lived in Jefferson City for 6 years, and spent plenty of time in Columbia and heard plenty of outright racism and hate.

It doesn't help that the university that's supposed to be the shining beacon of intelligence and forward-thinking is doing oh... nothing to stop racist incidents that spread.

I mean, I hate Pinkel and his penchant for knocking up the weather girl then having her disappeared to reappear on TV in KC a year later, but at least he's acting correctly here.

I think it's kind of funny that the football coach has more power than the university leadership also.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
The hunger striking student has signed a DNR.

This combined with the coach and a sizable portion of the team being on board makes me think negotiations are gonna be resolved in the students' favor, whatever that ends up entailing, and swiftly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At what point will his body start to shut down on just water? 14-20 days?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Here's what I don't understand (and admittedly, I'm probably just a simpleton):

Why wouldn't Wolfe, upon hearing that one of his students is going on a hunger strike, make immediate(!!!) plans to locate that student & attempt to at least talk to him about his issues/demands? I mean, what in the ever-living gently caress does he think just addressing it through a goddamn memo is gonna' do? Does he not think that just maybe he & this student can find some kind of common ground, if only temporarily, to cease the hunger strike? It just makes no sense to me at all how Wolfe has acted since this whole thing began.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I believe he had no experience in education, repeatedly lied on his resume, was brought in to run the school as a business, and is generally just a lovely person. I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

greatn posted:

At what point will his body start to shut down on just water? 14-20 days?

I think with proper hydration, it's 40 days.

• Locked thread