Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I think the writers just don't give a poo poo about Psylocke. I don't actually know Psylocke well either, because I'm not into X-Men comics, but I can tell that all the director wanted was a cheesecake ninja bitch running around.

Adult women aren't really Singer's thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

multijoe posted:

Adult women aren't really Singer's thing

Speaking of which, that Wolverine/Jean scene was cringy as gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Junkenstein posted:

Speaking of which, that Wolverine/Jean scene was cringy as gently caress.

One of the things I always appreciated over the various movies was that no matter what, it was Rebecca Romjin that Wolverine had a thing for, and they seemed to have real chemistry. Makes me sick when they try to pair him with these 19 year old kids.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The actor's ages are so messed up now. Magneto and Prof X are meant to be what, 55 and 50 or so in this? And in 15 years they're going to look like McKellen and Stewart?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Plenty of mutants have prolonged lifespans as one of their powers. Wolverine, Sebastian Shaw, Selene, and Mystique are examples. Perhaps Xavier and Magneto also have it. Why not?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Uncle Wemus posted:

Did they waste Jubilee too

In the weirdest way too, she just disappears abruptly. The four Nu Mutants become three Nu Mutants and she never appears or is spoken of again.

Honestly even more than Civil War this felt like a soap opera. The cast was too big, too much focus was on organising the franchise, characters acted bizarrely, honestly there was barely a plot but scene to scene it was fine. I didn't get bored at all even though it was a Bad Movie.

But what was the point of the military capture? We don't need to piss away 25 minutes for a terrible Wolverine cameo. They made such a big deal of the power blocking walls/cage/collars, I figured maybe it would play into stopping Apoc "you aren't a god, you're a mutant" but nope, just a lame way to keep the protagonists helpless for a bit.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One of the things I always appreciated over the various movies was that no matter what, it was Rebecca Romjin that Wolverine had a thing for, and they seemed to have real chemistry. Makes me sick when they try to pair him with these 19 year old kids.

I dont remember them having any scenes together?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Uncle Wemus posted:

Maybe he's thinking of Famke Janssen?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sorry, yes, Famke.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I like this line from a review on Deadspin (of all places):

quote:

At one point, consciously or not, the movie even calls attention to how idiotic Apocalypse looks by granting Magneto (Michael Fassbender, again a high point) a gem of a diss: his first reaction upon seeing the franchise’s new villain could be paraphrased as “lmao wtf are u.”

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Apocalypse looks like a dork from a cheap 90s sci fi tv show

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Isaac did, somehow, make it work. That's probably saying more about the actor than the makeup though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Apocalypse looks like a dork from a cheap 90s sci fi tv show

"Let's put an awesome actor in so much make-up/CGI that the character is a blur. Then let's constantly shoot his scenes from above so he looks small, or wide enough that the Franchise Builder characters get focus too. Then lets make him quietly teleport, abruptly entering at the end of other scenes to really minimise the physical presence and avoid any kind of environmental storytelling.

For some reason focus groups don't find him compelling. gently caress it, make the Aushwitz scene crazy and put a deeper filter on the voice. Classy."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Maybe fox is taking a page from disney and wasting its villains

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

"No one's ever left a scar quite like you."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

multijoe posted:

I thought Isaac did, somehow, make it work. That's probably saying more about the actor than the makeup though.

Oscar Issac is a loving treasure and he was really good in the role. The occasional echo they threw on his voice was fantastic and made him sound very badass. Issac chewed up every line they gave him and even through the makeup was able to use his facial expressions a lot. Costume wasn't the best but I didn't mind it

Fassbender really carried the crux of the movie though, he's extremely believable and somehow makes Magneto the heart in all these films.

CGI looked really bad in some places. Their desire to get away from spandex and use leather gave them some ridiculous looking costumes. It shouldn't be that hard to design a costume, these people are basically running around in yoga pants, just slap their colors on them.

Mystique should have been killed off, they had the perfect scene for it. JLaw is too big for the franchise and I have no idea why she would ever do another movie but she brought nothing to this one acting wise and her character leading the X-Men makes sense it just feels...dumb. The movie set up for Magneto to be a teacher or hang around the school and he just randomly decides to leave at the end too, what?

I thought the Weapon X interlude was dumb, it basically reset Wolverine to the first X-Men movie for the sake of continuity. It felt out of place though and even moreso felt like a way of cutting down the team, so they didn't have to explain why they weren't taking all the students that were left at the school(I mean surely with a world ending threat, some of them could have been useful).

Phoenix saves the day would have been better if we'd had a scene of Jean losing control earlier in the film and destroying a bunch of stuff.

No where near as good as Civil War, but I actually still really enjoyed it. Days of Future Past is probably better.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Saw it today, enjoyed it, but it did feel a bit disjointed at times. Distinctly remember Days of Future Past felt more gripping on first viewing. Better than BvS, not as good as Civil War. Not a bad film, but flawed.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

multijoe posted:

I do wonder the Phoenix ending was a studio mandated addition because everyone working together to gradually overwhelm him would have been a far more satisfying resolution than it clearly being 95% Jean and 5% everyone else as it was. Apocalypse was pretty good in general though, he was equal parts an awe-inspiring messiah and a vengeful, smirking tyrant and Oscar Isaac played him with a ton of charisma, just a shame he was wasted in such a garbled and unfocused script.

It fit fine IMO. The whole point is that he cannot be defeated by even the combined efforts of the other mutants. Apocalypse believes himself to be the strongest mutant, literally a god, and then as Jean proves him wrong, his final words are "all has been revealed". He might have been a god, but as gods go the Phoenix is stronger.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

doverhog posted:

It fit fine IMO. The whole point is that he cannot be defeated by even the combined efforts of the other mutants. Apocalypse believes himself to be the strongest mutant, literally a god, and then as Jean proves him wrong, his final words are "all has been revealed". He might have been a god, but as gods go the Phoenix is stronger.

She was barely a character in the film though. If the film is going to be resolved by the Phoenix Force showing Apocalypse what a god really looks like, it should probably have been about Jean and her struggle with her power, rather than a completely left-field deus ex machina in a film more about Magneto if anyone, him being the only person to have anything resembling an arc.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 21, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jean does have a quite a few scenes, and her fear of her own powers is mentioned multiple times. The Phoenix is foreshadowed when she has her nightmare. You are right though, the film does lack focus.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
My favorite scene in the movie is when Xavier alters the last lines of Apocalypse's speech to say "those who have power, protect those who have none". That is one of the most awesome Professor X moments ever.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Vitamin P posted:

They made such a big deal of the power blocking walls/cage/collars, I figured maybe it would play into stopping Apoc "you aren't a god, you're a mutant" but nope, just a lame way to keep the protagonists helpless for a bit.

I think maybe Storm's lightning replicated the effect at the last second to keep him from teleporting away.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
It really bugged me that Apocalypse's Horsemen just came across like the first four mutants Apocalypse met. I didn't care about any of them at all by the end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This film is on shaky ground quipping that “the third one's always the worst.“ Feels like a season of TV cut down to feature length, hitting a lot of plot points but with no real cohesion.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

While it's true that Magneto does have an actual arc in this, it's pretty much spoiled by the fact that they had to give him a random family just so they could kill them off to make him bad so he could have a redemption moment later. Fassbender's brilliant and the centre of all three prequels, but Magneto's character is a mess when looked at over the course of all three films.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
It is a really silly movie.

Power Ranges + Auschwitz. A winning combination.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

This film is on shaky ground quipping that “the third one's always the worst.“

Yeah, that was just obnoxious. Especially because X3 was cool and good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quite liked that. Alright film overall, whole bunch of little bits I really liked. Going to tag them since it's not out in North America yet. No particular order, just as they occur to me.

Apocalypse powering up his Horsemen and then it gets to Magneto and he's just "Eric, there's metal everywhere you dipshit".

I wish the Wolverine bit hadn't been in the trailers, that would have been a great surprise. It completely clashes with the rest of the film and only really seems to be there to go "hey, Stryker filled him up with Adamantium again and now he's off in the wilderness". But it is so over the top and long that it ends up being bizarrely funny. Also why would you keep your dangerous experimental weapon person next to your power generator?

Quicksilver. His big mansion scene of course but everything else. Also when he gets right up to Apocalypse, laughs at his dumb face and proceeds to give him a battering. Well, for a bit.

Angel, the guy who has the power to fly, dies in a plane crash. His power always comes off as lovely when for other people flying is just an extra thing that doesn't make finding clothes a bitch.

Oh, and the last scene totally coming off as "and now I'm gonna lock you in a room and send robots to murder you"

Nightcrawler and Cyclops and Jean were all pretty good. Most of the returning characters too.

Minor chracter spoiler: In the comics doesn't Magneto's other kid grow up to beScarlet Witch? Did the MCU lot and Fox have an agreement of "you kill off your Quicksilver and we'll kill off our Scarlet Witch"? Because that seems like a good idea to avoid confusion and basically what seems to have happened. And since it's comics they can always bring 'em back.

MisterBibs posted:

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I like this line from a review on Deadspin (of all places):

The actual line is great.

e: also I love IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm8126109/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t69

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 22, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

X3 has a few good moments but is pretty bad overall, and certainly a lot worse than Apocalypse.

McDragon posted:

Quite liked that. Alright film overall, whole bunch of little bits I really liked. Going to tag them since it's not out in North America yet. No particular order, just as they occur to me.

Minor chracter spoiler:[spoiler] In the comics doesn't Magneto's other kid grow up to beScarlet Witch? Did the MCU lot and Fox have an agreement of "you kill off your Quicksilver and we'll kill off our Scarlet Witch"? Because that seems like a good idea to avoid confusion and basically what seems to have happened. And since it's comics they can always bring 'em back.

Witch and Quicksilver are twins so the dead kid is not her.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wanda had a cameo in DOFP, although she was much younger than QS so I suppose it could be someone else. This character is not based on anyone as far as I can tell, but in the comics he's the father of Pietro and Wanda and their half-sister Lorna who goes by Polaris. Although her parentage has been retconned to hell and back so she's not Magneto's daughter anymore I don't think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

While it's true that Magneto does have an actual arc in this, it's pretty much spoiled by the fact that they had to give him a random family just so they could kill them off to make him bad so he could have a redemption moment later. Fassbender's brilliant and the centre of all three prequels, but Magneto's character is a mess when looked at over the course of all three films.

The character decay of Magneto really annoys me. In First Class the film genuinely called into question Xavier's gentle reformism and framed Magneto's radical mutant seperatism as coming from a real political need, having just witnessed the US and USSR put aside their differences to attempt another genocide against his people. Since then their characters have just drifted into 'good' and 'an idiot', his motivation in Apocalypse being reduced to petty personal revenge rather than any greater concern for mutantkind. It's a huge diservice to the radically different framing of their relationship the trilogy (can we even call it that given how much this film acts assetup for sequels?) started and defangs civil rights comparison by refusing to portray, or even talk about mutant oppression in anything but the vaguest of terms.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I guess not then. I should've remembered that anything I "know" about superhero comic books is usually off at least a bit and often a lot.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The movie was fine. I had no problem with any specific part of it, but thought it was overall a letdown compared to Days of Future Past in basically every way. The action was so much worse, the character arcs were boring. The only striking character moment was Xavier changing the message which was great. I wish Magneto was straight up brainwashed instead of what we got. Oh well.

SpecialF posted:

I think it's easier to pirately-record film in the US than the rest of the world. We watched the 2nd showing and had staff come in 3 times too look around with their little night-vision spy scope (in the UK). All they did was tell us off for putting our feet on the seats :(

jfc that is actually insane.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

doverhog posted:

X3 has a few good moments but is pretty bad overall, and certainly a lot worse than Apocalypse.

Witch and Quicksilver are twins so the dead kid is not her.

Not having seen the movie, that sounds like Polaris, the third child of Magneto. Polaris really gets no love anywhere.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Wanda had a cameo in DOFP, although she was much younger than QS so I suppose it could be someone else. This character is not based on anyone as far as I can tell, but in the comics he's the father of Pietro and Wanda and their half-sister Lorna who goes by Polaris. Although her parentage has been retconned to hell and back so she's not Magneto's daughter anymore I don't think.

The little girl in DOFP isn't Wanda, but another kid. There's a deleted scene where the mom tells her to go bother her sister, who is presumably Quicksilver's twin.

God drat, Erik gets around.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah, that was just obnoxious. Especially because X3 was cool and good.

This is just...loving no.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Lol a Saturday morning cartoon from the early 90s is better than a dozen multimillion dollar whiffs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cavelcade posted:

The movie was fine. I had no problem with any specific part of it, but thought it was overall a letdown compared to Days of Future Past in basically every way. The action was so much worse, the character arcs were boring.

Yup, this was pretty much my reaction. I saw it yesterday and about halfway through I was thinking "You know, a bunch of this stuff is actually pretty good, why aren't aren't I into this??" There's a bunch of fun action scenes but the characters just didn't resonate with me so I really struggled to give a drat.

I think that Apocalypse as an antagonist really had the rug pulled out from under him because his big introduction is he gets carried into a pyramid and he lies down on a slab and then there's a BIG ACTION SCENE where he does nothing (he doesn't even speak!) and then he keeps lying down for the next few thousands of years. That was a really lame way to introduce a major villain, they had to wedge in a scene where Moira reads off a whoooooole bunch of exposition to build him up.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 23, 2016

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Pretty accurate. The only point the introduction serves is that his original horsemen were loyal enough to give their all until their dying breath to save their leader, which makes it funny when all his modern day equivalents are either completely inept or betrays him. It also showed how some of them were really powerful with pretty effects.

After given a few days to sleep on it, definitely Civil War does a better job over Apocalypse. Some of the set pieces are still very impressive , mostly Quiksilver, and Michael Fassbender does a good job with selling the death of his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I'm just going to repost this:

Magneto is this comic

Except instead of "Thanks Obama", it's "Time to genocide the human race"

And instead of his girlfriend Professor X leaving him, it's actually "Haha, that's our Magneto", laughtrack, freeze frame.

• Locked thread