Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Doredrin posted:

What if I animated loss.jpg for you guys? Will that at least get me somewhere?

Yes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doredrin posted:

Please do this.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Doredrin posted:

My original intention was to have a classically animated film with a glitched mess as Gregor Samsa, but then I decided to make the entire film less classical and traditional.

Thanks for your answer. I kind of see what you were going for, but drat man, nine years? Those weren't consecutive nine years of work, right? Even with your mental health and troubled private life, I defy to believe it took you so much time, even with research and learning to use the animation suite (which doesn't seem to be a problem, seeing that animation of chiseling person), because it's rough beyond belief. It looks like Quake machinima.

Also loss.jpg edits, variants, recreations and adaptations are always welcomed here.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

laserghost posted:

Thanks for your answer. I kind of see what you were going for, but drat man, nine years? Those weren't consecutive nine years of work, right? Even with your mental health and troubled private life, I defy to believe it took you so much time, even with research and learning to use the animation suite (which doesn't seem to be a problem, seeing that animation of chiseling person), because it's rough beyond belief. It looks like Quake machinima.

Also loss.jpg edits, variants, recreations and adaptations are always welcomed here.
I can't remember where your avatar is from (I know it's some software company logo) but I remember seeing it as a kid and it makes me a lil nostalgic whenever I see your posts.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Doredrin posted:

Ok, see you in 9 years then.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

Yes, please.

Stuntman posted:

Please do this.

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, see you in 9 years then.

I'm seriously considering it. It would probably take me a few months at a reasonable work schedule. Is this just something a small amount of people want to see or is there actually a decent amount of people that would care about it? It is a real pain in the rear end to do something like that, especially by myself.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Stuntman posted:

I can't remember where your avatar is from (I know it's some software company logo) but I remember seeing it as a kid and it makes me a lil nostalgic whenever I see your posts.

The company's name is Psygnosis I guess you've been playing Lemmings a lot? :)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
After a few years of art college, you should know by now that it doesn't matter how many people want to see your work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Do you plan to improve your efficiency or learn to work faster? Regardless of quality its going to be tough to get anywhere when every little project takes multiple years to complete.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What was the thinking behind your choice to make all your shots these incredibly long, drawn out, uncut chunks of time where almost nothing ever actually happens during them?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

laserghost posted:

The company's name is Psygnosis I guess you've been playing Lemmings a lot? :)
Yeah, I played the poo poo out of Lemmings when I was a kid. Good lookin!

OP, an animated loss.jpg would probably legitimately get some level of popularity due to meme status.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

GreatGreen posted:

What was the thinking behind your choice to make all your shots these incredibly long, drawn out, uncut chunks of time where almost nothing ever actually happens during them?

I watched "2001: A Space Odyssey" a lot in college.

Basebf555 posted:

Do you plan to improve your efficiency or learn to work faster? Regardless of quality its going to be tough to get anywhere when every little project takes multiple years to complete.

Almost all of the 9 years were spent finishing teaching myself the craft of art/animation/film and doing a significant amount of concept art and research. What you see in this film is an almost instantaneous expression of all of that work. Like an Olympic athlete training for years for an event that may last only a few seconds.

So is there an actual audience for a loss.jpg animation? It would be done to the highest degree possible and I would seek to make it as close to something you see from a reputable animation studio. If there is actually an audience and this is something more than just a very few amount of people would want to see, I'll contact a mod and see if I can post a work in progress thread where you guys can see it being made.

Doredrin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 9, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doredrin posted:

Almost all of the 9 years were spent finishing teaching myself the craft of art/animation/film and doing a significant amount of concept art and research. What you see in this film is an almost instantaneous expression of all of that work. Like an Olympic athlete training for years for an event that may last only a few seconds.

What about going forward though? Do you plan to do the same amount of concept art and research for every project? If so, don't you think that would prevent you from ever making a living as an artist?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Doredrin posted:

I'm seriously considering it. It would probably take me a few months at a reasonable work schedule. Is this just something a small amount of people want to see or is there actually a decent amount of people that would care about it? It is a real pain in the rear end to do something like that, especially by myself.

You can definitely gain modest popularity among internet-savvy people everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehC4ZXw9wgc

Like this guy.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 9, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What you need is a documentary film crew following you around as you work. That kid from Trekkies ended up working on Star Trek and I think he's still working in the industry to this day.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Serious question, I can get behind the idea of Gregor being a weird glitchy mess instead of a literal bug (heh, another name for glitch is a bug), but the rest of the people have horrible forms themselves. Wouldn't it have made more sense to animate the other people normally to highlight Gregor's weirdness?

Wouldn't it be better to start with plain old garde before jumping into avant garde? For example, Frank Miller had an entire career in his regular nomal style before doing The Dark Knight Strikes Again. For an animation example, Chuck Jones animated for decades before doing The Dot and The Line

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Detective No. 27 posted:

Serious question, I can get behind the idea of Gregor being a weird glitchy mess instead of a literal bug (heh, another name for glitch is a bug), but the rest of the people have horrible forms themselves. Wouldn't it have made more sense to animate the other people normally to highlight Gregor's weirdness?

Wouldn't it be better to start with plain old garde before jumping into avant garde? For example, Frank Miller had an entire career in his regular nomal style before doing The Dark Knight Strikes Again. For an animation example, Chuck Jones animated for decades before doing The Dot and The Line

My original idea was to have normal animation and a glitchy looking Gregor, but I decided against that for a variety of reasons.

As for the second question, I honestly don't know. I still enjoy doing classical looking things and things that I know people appreciate, but right now I just feel like animating like this. I think the worst thing an artist can be is dishonest. Though with that being said, I am strongly considering animating that loss.jpg meme because as much as I like artistic integrity, I do need to find a way to feed myself eventually and that might be a good start.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Why did you register recently...sus

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

Why did you register recently...sus

I was permabanned for a while because I posted under the name "vilepilot" and did a bunch of stuff worthy of being banned. I came back recently and begged to be reinstated if I followed the rules, and was allowed. I've been reading and posting on somethingawful since before the forums had a registration fee.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doredrin posted:

I was permabanned for a while because I posted under the name "vilepilot" and did a bunch of stuff worthy of being banned. I came back recently and begged to be reinstated if I followed the rules, and was allowed. I've been reading and posting on somethingawful since before the forums had a registration fee.

I appreciate your openness.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Doredrin posted:

I think if you animated anything that wasn't a festering turd of a video it would have a better chance of getting you somewhere than this.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Doredrin posted:

Do you have a job?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Mr. 47 posted:

Do you have a job?

Not currently.

Do people actually want to see a loss.jpg animation? It would be done in a production style quality and as closest as I could get to something you would see from a high grade animation studio. If the audience is not there for such a work then I won't even bother because it would be a big time and energy investment.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I wouldn't do it

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

I wouldn't do it

Alright, I guess it is just a few people then.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Doredrin posted:

Not currently.

Do people actually want to see a loss.jpg animation? It would be done in a production style quality and as closest as I could get to something you would see from a high grade animation studio. If the audience is not there for such a work then I won't even bother because it would be a big time and energy investment.

There are many people who would watch and enjoy it.

But if you can find a job instead, do that.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

There are many people who would watch and enjoy it.

But if you can find a job instead, do that.

Alright I'll do it for you.

If the stock market continues to do what it has done so far today though, no one will have a job soon.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

You can do commision work for money, if you are ready to put up with the whole ocean of cartoon fetishes. But you're a goon, so that shouldn't be a problem. Go to tumblr or deviantart, tell people you can do short animations of their OCs in CGI, stop worrying about money, ever.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This thread has given me an unexpected confidence boost. Thank you, OP.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Considering how expensive a SCAD degree is, dropping out 10 hours and 2 classes away from a degree is incredibly dumb.

However I knew several people who did essentially the same thing during my years at SCAD so it's not exactly uncommon. Just perplexing. SCAD's academic standards for graduating are pretty stringent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramen Pride! posted:

Considering how expensive a SCAD degree is, dropping out 10 hours and 2 classes away from a degree is incredibly dumb.

However I knew several people who did essentially the same thing during my years at SCAD so it's not exactly uncommon. Just perplexing. SCAD's academic standards for graduating are pretty stringent.

Its pretty obvious that we can't delve too deeply into these things because the thread would get into E/N territory very quickly.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Hmm, should I work on finding a job and developing some marketable skills or should I dedicate months of my life making a video about some dumb unfunny meme for the benefit of a handful of idiots from a dying internet forum. What a tough one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you think about it, the choice is obvious.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

grate deceiver posted:

Hmm, should I work on finding a job and developing some marketable skills or should I dedicate months of my life making a video about some dumb unfunny meme for the benefit of a handful of idiots from a dying internet forum. What a tough one.

Flesh Forge posted:

If you think about it, the choice is obvious.

Somethingawful is a dumb, unfunny, and outdated meme and it basically raised me. I can't turn my back on an old friend like that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Please post more of the concept work for this film. I'm not going to believe you are being earnest until i see the documentation of this film's development. I want concept sketches, storyboards, notebook papers filled with ideas, as much as you can provide. Please.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I too would like to see more of the creative process that took place over 9 years and resulted in this fabulous finished product.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

really wasn't expecting Cinema Discusso to be the next forum to get its own niggerstomper58

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
A poem.

By 504.

"When you die, you wont see heaven.
Your animation's worse than 9/11"

Thanks you.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I live just outside of savannah in garden city and if you meet me in my yard at 2:45am when I get off work I'll give you a domestic beer in a can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why did you title the thread like this if you weren't expecting to look pathetic. This doesn't even rise to the quality of the guy who made a whole cartoon movie about seals himself and it was lovely.

• Locked thread