Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If they support Donald Trump, you shouldn't be friends with them unless you are a bigot. If you really still feel some attachment to them you should help them to become human beings again by putting them on ice until they come to their senses and make amends.

This goes for family as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't believe that anyone who disagrees with me or holds a different viewpoint from me is pure evil and shouldn't be associated with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That would be the case in a normal election. However in this case, the candidate is Donald Trump, who it is not possible to support and remain a decent human being. Period. If you maintain some attachment to the filth who support him, you are in effect supporting him and his platform of hatred and bigotry.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

woke wedding drone posted:

If they support Donald Trump, you shouldn't be friends with them unless you are a bigot. If you really still feel some attachment to them you should help them to become human beings again by putting them on ice until they come to their senses and make amends.

This goes for family as well.

True Diversity demands that any trace of ideological diversity be crushed! Let us not be distracted by the thoughts in one's head in the service of skin-deep diversity! I can only be Comfortable in a vapid space of rainbow skin hues and orientations and rigid ideological conformity, where everyone thinks just like me.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That would be the case in a normal election. However in this case, the candidate is Donald Trump, who it is not possible to support and remain a decent human being. Period. If you maintain some attachment to the filth who support him, you are in effect supporting him and his platform of hatred and bigotry.

#wokeasfuck

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

True Diversity demands that any trace of ideological diversity be crushed! Let us not be distracted by the thoughts in one's head in the service of skin-deep diversity! I can only be Comfortable in a vapid space of rainbow skin hues and orientations and rigid ideological conformity, where everyone thinks just like me.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

If a friend of yours was an avid NAMBLA supporter, would you distance yourself from them or remain friends? Because supporting Donald Trump is much worse than that, with more dangerous consequences and more lives at risk.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

If a friend of yours was an avid NAMBLA supporter, would you distance yourself from them or remain friends? Because supporting Donald Trump is much worse than that, with more dangerous consequences and more lives at risk.

Stop hyperventilating.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

TheImmigrant posted:

Stop hyperventilating.

Listen dude it can't really be helped that being a Trump voter heavily correlates with being an agressive and insufferable rear end in a top hat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

That's because Trump is an avid NAMBLA supporter, on top of everything else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Stop hyperventilating.

I notice you have scrupulously failed to answer the question. But many emboldened bigots have already attacked Muslims because of Trump's rhetoric. This isn't even getting into what the effects of his actual administration would be.

When a leader like Trump emerges, you can either make it plain that you despise him and everyone who supports him, or you can be complicit and slink through the rest of your life trying to get around the question of why you didn't speak up.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Listen dude it can't really be helped that being a Trump voter heavily correlates with being an agressive and insufferable rear end in a top hat.

Oftentimes, yes. There's a non-negligible swathe of the US electorate that sees Trump as syphilis to the ebola of Hillary! Clinton though, and can't imagine not voting for a (D) or an (R).

When you wind up believing that disagreement is per se evil, the result is SedanChair-level dipshittery.

When a leader like Trump emerges, you can either make it plain that you despise him and everyone who supports him, or you can be complicit and slink through the rest of your life trying to get around the question of why you didn't speak up.

You go grrl. You fight the Good Fight on internet comedy forum SomethingAwful.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

You go grrl. You fight the Good Fight on internet comedy forum SomethingAwful.

Oh I'm not really talking about here. These principles are meaningless unless you're willing to put them in action with your friends and family.

You know supporting Trump is evil, but you love it. That's the kind of wickedness that is the mark of a bad, in fact a deplorable, person. Friendship would be either fake or complicit in evil (likely both).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Oh I'm not really talking about here. These principles are meaningless unless you're willing to put them in action with your friends and family.

You know supporting Trump is evil, but you love it. That's the kind of wickedness that is the mark of a bad, in fact a deplorable, person. Friendship would be either fake or complicit in evil (likely both).

I bet you're really fun at the parties nobody actually wants you to go to

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

I despise Trump and his candidacy, but based on your ridiculous and desperate posturing here I think I'd probably rather eat my own testicles than have you consider me your friend.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's certainly a mutual sentiment.

TBeats posted:

I bet you're really fun at the parties nobody actually wants you to go to

Oh is that parties where people love Trump? What kind of fun are you having at these parties? Burning crosses?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That's certainly a mutual sentiment.

Oh is that parties where people love Trump? What kind of fun are you having at these parties? Burning crosses?

Yes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The sad, sad truth about humanity is that this simply isn't true. Human beings have an incredible ability to rationalize away things that are inconvenient to their worldview or contradict an impression they've already formed.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting to see people give great heaps of doubt so that their belief that racism/sexism/etc. is bad and worthy of cutting someone off doesn't come into conflict with their belief that they must remain in contact and friendship with Trump voters or else be damned.

It's even more interesting to see this doubt is not extended to people like the one quoted in the OP. Obviously, they're stupid, a child, delusional, etc. While equally obviously, people who hate Trump and everything he stands for but are still going to vote for him are a significant proportion of the people you are likely to interact with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

The sad, sad truth about humanity is that this simply isn't true. Human beings have an incredible ability to rationalize away things that are inconvenient to their worldview or contradict an impression they've already formed.

That's true, but how does that then make those people decent? It no more excuses Trump supporters than it does Bill Cosby.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

What policy positions does Donald Trump have that make him worse than a typical Republican? When you look at it purely from a policy standpoint Trump is actually to the left of a typical nominee. That's not to say he isn't awful, he is, but this notion that Trump is a special brand of awful is pretty absurd. Cruz would have been a much worse candidate than Trump in every way that actually matters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It would certainly not be possible to support Cruz and remain a decent human being. I mentioned earlier that things might be different if this was a normal election, say McCain vs. Obama. Remember how McCain actually pretended to care about being decent to minorities? That was pretty much scrapped out of the gate during this election's GOP primary process. Candidates with any pretense of decency were quickly knocked out of the running. Know why? Because a large portion of the electorate is made up of despicable people who shouldn't be associated with.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

What policy positions does Donald Trump have that make him worse than a typical Republican? When you look at it purely from a policy standpoint Trump is actually to the left of a typical nominee.

:laffo:

First off, Trump doesn't have any actual policy positions besides Build the Wall, but this idea that he's not worse than a typical Republican is ludicrous. Jeb! was a typical Republican. Trump announced his candidacy by calling Mexicans rapists.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As a gay, I would definitely prefer not to associate with people who believe I shouldn't exist or my existence should be legally dubious or that I should be browbeaten into acting straight. Furthermore, I would prefer not to associate with people who would insist that it is wrong to call the former views evil and I should be open-minded, because they are nothing but useful idiots for the people with the former views.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hell there is even a convincing argument not to support Trump over a "typical Republican" on the grounds that we should retain our national sovereignty, instead of handing it over to another vain strongman with a plastic surgeon on speed dial.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

WampaLord posted:

:laffo:

First off, Trump doesn't have any actual policy positions besides Build the Wall, but this idea that he's not worse than a typical Republican is ludicrous. Jeb! was a typical Republican. Trump announced his candidacy by calling Mexicans rapists.

Jeb! was a typical 90s style Republican, which is why he received 3 delegates, it's not the 90s anymore. If not Trump it probably would have been Rubio or Cruz who are ideologically far-right on pretty much every issue. I'd sure as hell take someone with an undefined policy position over a far-right ideologue any day. Also Rubio and especially Cruz ran right to the right on immigration during the primary and had pretty much the same position as Trump by the time it was over.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
America is in the middle of a massive culture war that has become increasingly personal, in the sense that political animosity against the opposing party now includes animosity against that party's supporters rather than its policies or politicians. In June, Pew Research Center released survey results on partisanship and political animosity:

quote:

The 2016 campaign is unfolding against a backdrop of intense partisan division and animosity. Partisans’ views of the opposing party are now more negative than at any point in nearly a quarter of a century.

For the first time in surveys dating to 1992, majorities in both parties express not just unfavorable but very unfavorable views of the other party. And today, sizable shares of both Democrats and Republicans say the other party stirs feelings of not just frustration, but fear and anger.

I'm not angry or afraid about the existence of conservatives. What disgusts me is how little the truth and reality seems to matter any more to the right wing in this country. Conservatives seem quite willing to either believe in nonsense and outright propaganda or knowingly spread conspiracy theories and lies. I also resent the fact that the media is not willing to call them out on it and has this horse race mentality because they are so afraid of offending conservatives. In fact at this point the word "conservative" is not really accurate given how radically different a candidate Trump is.

Personally, I have dated a conservative and we did okay as long as politics wasn't discussed. The relationship was one of those opposites attract things. However, I didn't really like their friends and they didn't really like mine. So I'm not sure if this counts as a data point for or against the OP's argument.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
*unzips pants*

What proportion of the American public believe in US exceptionalism? I'd say those people for the most part treat national outsiders as 2nd class or subordinates.

Despite that I am good friends with all the extremes of Americans that come my way.

I generally dislike the ideology of outrage feminism and trumpism that now defines the American political landscape, but I'm the type to not take arguments too personally. *shrugs*

Plus I'm canadian an although there are racist dudes and crazy liberals they don't seem to get taken very seriously.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 13, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I had a friend (liberal) who married a guy (conservative) and my autistic rear end was always puzzled at how they got along. They had a good relationship but constantly butted opinions when it came to politics. I just couldn't square how she, as a teacher, could be in a relationship with someone that would, without a second thought, vote to cripple funding for her job. It wasn't even an "I think teachers should be accountable and..." type of thing. He literally wanted to fire all the teachers in the state, turn all the public schools over to charters, and have some business-like monitoring of the students/employees with an at-will style of protections.

: : beep beep boop boop does not compute : :

Hell of a cook, though.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

It would certainly not be possible to support Cruz and remain a decent human being. I mentioned earlier that things might be different if this was a normal election, say McCain vs. Obama. Remember how McCain actually pretended to care about being decent to minorities? That was pretty much scrapped out of the gate during this election's GOP primary process. Candidates with any pretense of decency were quickly knocked out of the running. Know why? Because a large portion of the electorate is made up of despicable people who shouldn't be associated with.

How would you describe a "decent human being" ?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
the most D&D thread on the forums

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Revelations I've learned so far from this thread:

-Racism is bad.
-Bigotry is bad.
-If you are a good person, you are against these things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You D&D dorks and your little echo-chambers of ideological purity, must be so boring not making close friends with people that just happen to have cool different ideas on racial purity. Like who cares if a person thinks Saudi Arabia has the right idea on solving the gay problem, what matters is if they are fun to hang around. It also doesn't matter how someone treats other people, only how they treat you. They don't want you personally to be killed or locked up or forced to live on the street so what's the big deal?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

You D&D dorks and your little echo-chambers of ideological purity, must be so boring not making close friends with people that just happen to have cool different ideas on racial purity.

Hahahah get a grip, who the gently caress actually advocates for "racial purity"? I know, your political opponents need to be literal cartoon Nazis to justify your pompous, hilariously misguided dismissal of their ideas, but like.... WHO advocates for that? And who defends them? Please don't say Milo because if you really believe that's what he does ughghghhg god this forum

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Secular Humanist posted:

Hahahah get a grip, who the gently caress actually advocates for "racial purity"? I know, your political opponents need to be literal cartoon Nazis to justify your pompous, hilariously misguided dismissal of their ideas, but like.... WHO advocates for that? And who defends them? Please don't say Milo because if you really believe that's what he does ughghghhg god this forum

Yeah, most of the right can't spell "purity".

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
"Friends who wants to remain friends don't talk about politics or religion"

I have religiously conservative friends with whom I used to talk about religion back in high school but never bring up the subject up anymore

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Brainiac Five posted:

Yeah, most of the right can't spell "purity".

Yeah, my conservative boss didn't know what "carcinogenic" meant. He's got a degree, for God's sake. There are many complicated words I can understand a person not knowing, but that one's kind of important. Especially when it comes up in the context of "I'd just use a dustpan, but that stuff is carcinogenic."

It's interesting you should bring this up today, because I currently have a co-worker who refuses to talk to me. We were having an intense but friendly conversation about deporting illegal Mexican immigrants, which he thought we should do, because they're all drug dealers. I pointed out he was being a hypocrite. He asked how, and I responded "Well, 'cause, you know...should I say it? You used to sell drugs." He came back with "How about you never talk to me again, not tomorrow, not November, not ever!" and stormed away.

It's been 5 days and he still won't talk to me. I asked if he was upset because I called him a hypocrite, or because I said something that was supposed to be a secret (the drugs). He said it's because we just believe opposite things so we shouldn't discuss anything. Apparently this extends to his son's football team, what TV shows are good, and pro wrestling.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Domus posted:

Yeah, my conservative boss didn't know what "carcinogenic" meant. He's got a degree, for God's sake. There are many complicated words I can understand a person not knowing, but that one's kind of important. Especially when it comes up in the context of "I'd just use a dustpan, but that stuff is carcinogenic."

It's interesting you should bring this up today, because I currently have a co-worker who refuses to talk to me. We were having an intense but friendly conversation about deporting illegal Mexican immigrants, which he thought we should do, because they're all drug dealers. I pointed out he was being a hypocrite. He asked how, and I responded "Well, 'cause, you know...should I say it? You used to sell drugs." He came back with "How about you never talk to me again, not tomorrow, not November, not ever!" and stormed away.

It's been 5 days and he still won't talk to me. I asked if he was upset because I called him a hypocrite, or because I said something that was supposed to be a secret (the drugs). He said it's because we just believe opposite things so we shouldn't discuss anything. Apparently this extends to his son's football team, what TV shows are good, and pro wrestling.

I can definitely see someone not knowing what carcinogenic meant. It's a word you probably have to pick up from context unless you're exposed to medical terminology or read a lot, neither of which are true for most Americans of any stripe.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Harvey Pekar had a great strip on how prior to the Kent State Massacre, he got into an argument with an older friend of his over the rights and wrongs of the protesters and how they were treated. This culminated in his friend saying he hopes they get shot at and they kind of just leave it at that. Once the shooting actually happens needless to say things get much more awkward when Pekar can't reconcile the warmness he associated with their friendship with the coldness that he sees inherent in his friend. Pekar offers no conciliation or answer at the end of the story. So uhhhh I dunno.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ddraig posted:

It's almost impossible to separate someone's politics from them because their politics is fundamentally how they actually feel about other people.

I mean, that's literally what politics is: How people are treated and should be treated.

It may be possible to be on friendly terms with someone whose politics rate you as a second class citizen but it's doubtful you'd ever truly be their friend.

You could say the same wrong thing about religion but many people if not the majority do the political equivalent of showing up twice a year on christmas and easter. Arguing about politics for multiple hours of the day is very removed from how most people do things, but it's definitely gotten more common with social media I suppose. I think this is a generational thing, believe it or not politics as an identity was basically unheard of until very recently. "Don't talk about politics and religion in social settings" and all that, pretty remarkable how much that has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My parents are libertarian idiots who sold out their beliefs long ago for white grievance. Should I stop loving them because of this association?

Lol. If you literally can't have a serious friendship with someone just because they happen to vote differently or have different opinions than you, I really don't know what to say. Human beings are far more than their political opinions and beliefs. You need to get out and meet other people if you feel this isn't true.

• Locked thread