Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

VikingSkull posted:

they still make Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

Nope. They recently came out with a thing they are CALLING a cherokee, but it is nothing like the originals. The real line went out of production in 96. Its successor was the liberty, which was hot garbage all around.

No one cares about grand cherokees except soccer moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

jeep died at the hands of the EPA and NHTSA.

americans dump coffee on their poo poo and sue macdomnalds. americans want 6k lb trucks that are good on gas and have at least 4 touchscreens. americans pay premium dollar for trucks that look like they could moab but would never do that to a lease. americans get iphones so people can tell they arent poor

i am a former employee of chrysler and americans killed jeeps

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

mexicans love slammed GMC trucks and blacks love donks. an endless rivalry

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nathilus posted:

Nope. They recently came out with a thing they are CALLING a cherokee, but it is nothing like the originals. The real line went out of production in 96. Its successor was the liberty, which was hot garbage all around.

fair point

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i will never own an american car again in my life

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

they still make Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

In name only. They are no longer body on frame and they ditched the inline 6 for some lovely v6. I helped pull a jeep out of a ditch last year and there wasn't even a loving tow hitch on it, had to wrap the strap around the axle. Fuckin new jeeps look like Kias now, but that's what sells. People don't want a rugged car they want a luxury SUV that says 4wd for that one time they go camping and accidentally turn off down a logging road for 25ft.

I have a coworker who refuses to buy a small car because "it will get hung up on snow" it's like, man, we drove loving model As here without a problem I'm pretty sure if you slap some snow tires on a mazda 2 you'll be fine

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

HATECUBE posted:

jeep died at the hands of the EPA and NHTSA.

americans dump coffee on their poo poo and sue macdomnalds. americans want 6k lb trucks that are good on gas and have at least 4 touchscreens. americans pay premium dollar for trucks that look like they could moab but would never do that to a lease. americans get iphones so people can tell they arent poor

i am a former employee of chrysler and americans killed jeeps

:(

A jeep cherokee was my first car and I'm STILL butthurt that it finally died. Such a good car. I loved the boxy look of it, it was pretty reliable, and with that 4.0 had more power than you could actually use unless you wanted to haul poo poo or spin out all over the place. Downside, 15 mpg.

But god drat if they had just continued to refine that model I would still be driving one. I despise you for your corporate complicity in this motherfucking travesty. :argh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Breakfast Feud posted:

In name only. They are no longer body on frame and they ditched the inline 6 for some lovely v6. I helped pull a jeep out of a ditch last year and there wasn't even a loving tow hitch on it, had to wrap the strap around the axle. Fuckin new jeeps look like Kias now, but that's what sells. People don't want a rugged car they want a luxury SUV that says 4wd for that one time they go camping and accidentally turn off down a logging road for 25ft.

I have a coworker who refuses to buy a small car because "it will get hung up on snow" it's like, man, we drove loving model As here without a problem I'm pretty sure if you slap some snow tires on a mazda 2 you'll be fine

Model A's actually had a poo poo ton of ground clearance

also American car ownership is fine, but only if you are mechanically inclined

sort of like an old British car, or a boat

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

that's badass

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I love the levies on imported pickups though. I will never buy a Tacoma because why bother when I can just buy 5 used Ford/GMC/Chevys for the same price? Yeah it's a better truck but LOL @ paying more than $5 for a wheel bearing

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

noice

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Breakfast Feud posted:

FTGE

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

that car still exists, and isn't solely a drawing, either

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

Model A's actually had a poo poo ton of ground clearance

also American car ownership is fine, but only if you are mechanically inclined

sort of like an old British car, or a boat

I get what you're saying my dude, but we have plows here. Not to mention the weight of a modern car really prevents it from getting hung up, unless you're a pansy with the gas pedal. Slap a set of winter tires on your little Kia and you're golden. If the snow on the road is too deep to drive in, no one is going to work anyway.

All the farmers have Kias/Hyundais to drive into town with, and if they can do it then so can you city folks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Breakfast Feud posted:

I get what you're saying my dude, but we have plows here. Not to mention the weight of a modern car really prevents it from getting hung up, unless you're a pansy with the gas pedal. Slap a set of winter tires on your little Kia and you're golden. If the snow on the road is too deep to drive in, no one is going to work anyway.

All the farmers have Kias/Hyundais to drive into town with, and if they can do it then so can you city folks.

lol I live in rural NY and used to drive a 92 Accord in blizzards

driving in the snow is a skill almost totally separated from the vehicle you use, in many cases I actually prefer RWD to FWD or 4x4/AWD when it snows, tbh

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Nathilus posted:

:(

A jeep cherokee was my first car and I'm STILL butthurt that it finally died. Such a good car. I loved the boxy look of it, it was pretty reliable, and with that 4.0 had more power than you could actually use unless you wanted to haul poo poo or spin out all over the place. Downside, 15 mpg.

But god drat if they had just continued to refine that model I would still be driving one. I despise you for your corporate complicity in this motherfucking travesty. :argh:

i had nothing to do with what CTC did or had up its rear end during my tenure. i saw many come and and go and most sink to their knees in a puddle of transmission fluid and piss.

i watched diamler go and FCA come and everything was a poo poo parade of puke the entire time. i remember exactly 3 historical moments

1. a 4c pulled in for benchmarking and it was cool to look at, i asked the engineer how you were supposed to work on the engine and he told me to gently caress off

2. one of the last pre-production hellcats pulled into the lab and i watched old men scream like little girls at a boyband concert

3. the renegade turbo 6speed was a fun and good car and i took the long way back

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Because of their high sales volumes and strongly competitive market, pickup trucks offer an amazing value in terms of content for a surprisingly low price

If you think they're surprisingly low priced, then you've obviously never bought a relatively new full size pickup truck.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I see 70s era trucks around occasionally and think they're kind of cool. They don't make them like that anymore.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BLARGHLE posted:

If you think they're surprisingly low priced, then you've obviously never bought a relatively new full size pickup truck.

they aren't all King Ranches with baseball gloves for seats, you can get a solidly optioned fullsize for ~30k

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Nathilus posted:

Well they made Cherokees/XJs with the 4.0 until 2001, but other than that you're right.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

american trucks are dead like the subaru legacy gave way to SUVs which are also dead

RIP coupes, sedans, wagons, big boxy cruisers, respectable pickups, rugged SUVs and fun

i am quietly collecting all the fun cars worth maintaining over the last 20 years for when the machines take over and we arent allowed to buy real cars anymore

tomorrow every porsche will be a 4-cly macan

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

they aren't all King Ranches with baseball gloves for seats, you can get a solidly optioned fullsize for ~30k

Yeah, $35k for a base model Silverado 1500 isn't exactly cheap

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh man I remember we once had a Chrysler Neon and to change the spark plugs was this monumental task because of how the engine was place in the engine bay. Also replacing the headlight was terribly hard. And then when you sat in it your field of view was really cut down by the arc of the A Pillar.

The upside? The doors closed over top of the roof essentially so you could just yank on them and get a good 2" gap for a dowel/coat hanger when you locked your keys inside.

VikingSkull posted:

lol I live in rural NY and used to drive a 92 Accord in blizzards

driving in the snow is a skill almost totally separated from the vehicle you use, in many cases I actually prefer RWD to FWD or 4x4/AWD when it snows, tbh

I really like FWD sedans for snow driving. They are a lot more forgiving and predictable, with the downside being I don't know how to save one from a spin in the event I gently caress up royally. Plus they are great for windrows, because if you get a running start and manage to pop 3/4s of the car over the drift then you're free and clear whereas a pickup is more likely to get hung up unless it's 4wd. But, on the other hand, pickups are a hoot to drive and if you gently caress up and hit a curb/snowbank/pole you can just drive away like it ain't no thing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BLARGHLE posted:

Yeah, $35k for a base model Silverado 1500 isn't exactly cheap

base model Silverados are like 28k

which I guess isn't cheap but it's not 35k either

they do make trucks without 4WD

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hatchbacks are coming back

they're coming

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

base model Silverados are like 28k

which I guess isn't cheap but it's not 35k either

they do make trucks without 4WD

Why even bother buying a truck without 4WD? Unless you live in a place that never snows, I guess.....

I was going to come back with a price retort, but the chevy website is being poo poo

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 5, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

BLARGHLE posted:

Why even bother buying a truck without 4WD? Unless you live in a place that never snows, I guess.....

Because you just need a vehicle with a large open area in the back to put things into and won't be taking it anywhere off road, and work mainly in areas with maintained roads?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Wikkheiser posted:

hatchbacks are coming back

they're coming

BLARGHLE posted:

I've had 3 trucks and an El Camino, none were 4WD, and driving in snow is a hoot in something that tail happy

my last truck had around 400hp and it got sideways when it rained

some people are just dumb, like me

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Almost bougth an AMC eagle but man, gently caress whatever computer system was in those

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

you don't need awd for snow. an overtuned crowdwrecker mustang will drive fine in the snow with snow tires

that being said awd is king and I am fully erect for the return of hatchbacks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Breakfast Feud posted:

Almost bougth an AMC eagle but man, gently caress whatever computer system was in those

I'm pretty sure it was a punch card system they found in a shed

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

I've had 3 trucks and an El Camino, none were 4WD, and driving in snow is a hoot in something that tail happy

my last truck had around 400hp and it got sideways when it rained

some people are just dumb, like me

RWD and snow is great for screwing around, but sucks when you're actually trying to get anywhere.

We had a pretty poo poo winter when I bought my old caprice in '02, so I spent a lot of time spinning tires and sliding around. That being said, I see a lot of SUVs sitting on medians whenever things start to get a little white, and the worst I ever did in that old beast was run over a street sign.

That caprice and my old Scottsdale were also very tail happy. It's like chevy didn't realize traction control was a thing until some time in the mid 2000s

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a punch card system they found in a shed

And then someone said "vacuum lines are cool now, right?"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Driving a RWD anything can be incredibly fun in the snow.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KennyLoggins posted:

if I get a truck like this and wear tap out t shirts will this make me cool?

asking for a friend

lol who jacks up a truck then sticks to tiny rear end wheels this is loving poo poo tier

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

satanic splash-back posted:

Driving a RWD anything can be incredibly fun in the snow.

If I had to stop for whatever reason, I'd just gun it until my car walked sideways into the curb, then take off

Or reverse up hills...

Good times

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Nathilus posted:

They made the O.G. Cherokee until '01, pretty much unchanged. Love mine, rare two-door, went 347,000 miles with no major work. Sold it to a house painter and he's still driving it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I popped my behymen in the cab of a dudes f250 the bench seat was comfortable but the cab space made it smell like balls pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Blast of Confetti posted:

lol who jacks up a truck then sticks to tiny rear end wheels this is loving poo poo tier

Apparently it's a thing in states with inspections. You slap on the tiny wheels for inspection day and then put your 45" deep tread offroad tires back on when you get home before jerking off furiously in your garage to the thought of parking it with one wheel up on the curb at the nearest hooters.

• Locked thread