Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

little munchkin posted:

everyone likes step brothers, op, because it's hilarious

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I never saw this because it looks like rainbow diarrhea, but wasn't it pretty universally praised in CineD upon its release?

I don't know about it getting universal praise around these parts, but it's one of my favorite family movies and was a go to option for trying out my home entertainment equipment when I had just bought that stuff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I totally understand why it's not more well known because it's a rather obscure period piece from a country not known for its cinema, but the Finnish film Sauna is one of my favorite horror movies. I had to scour a bit to find a BluRay of it, but it's gorgeous in HD. It'd make a great double feature with The Witch because it's a similar tone of 16th/17th century folklore horror, but entirely different cultures.

I also feel like American Ultra doesn't get nearly enough credit. It got middling reviews, but it's a really fun action/stoner comedy with a bonkers third act.

I'm a big fan of Europa Report as well. Space sci-fi found footage isn't done nearly enough, and I really like the narrative twist towards the end.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the realm of bad movies, ROTOR seems largely ignored, maybe because it doesn't seem to be on the IMDB Bottom 100, yet it's almost universally considered a bad film. Despite that, there's a seemingly very strong sense that you get of them intentionally making a satire disguised as a bad action movie, and people seem to mistake it as the latter when its really the former. It's easy to write the film off as incompetent, but I'm getting more the feeling that this is the sort of parody/satire of 80s action films that some modern stuff have done more overtly in the last decade or so.

Maybe this is helped in part by being from writers of Saturday morning cartoons, too.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 8, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I will always hate that they didn't make a R.O.T.O.R. sequel starring the awesome rocket launcher wielding buff genius scientist philospher woman who gets introduced towards the end of the movie that they hint at resurrecting as a robot.

That was the real part where I started to think it was satire, the dialog they have while driving to the final showdown. Then when they get there and have to figure out where to go the protagonist is just like "I spent time with Indians on the reservation every weekend I know this gorge like the back of my hand" or whatever. :laffo: That and the part where he stops the robbery at the gas station by cold shooting a dude and it has that super slow motion shot of him revealing a gun from inside his newspaper with that really badly dubbed "I've got MORE than just a newspaper.....and YOU get to guess what it is." So awesome. :D

I don't think it was meant as a satire per se, just it has plenty of humorous moments that actually work like when the robot just peaces the gently caress out when they find out it was his fault that R.O.T.O.R. got activated. It's not a constant stream of lovely dialog like a lot of the other legendary bad movies out there but I still think it was meant as a genuine action comedy kinda thing rather than a commentary or parody of other 80s action flicks.

I feel like it's basically what a Neil Breen movie would be if it was made in the 80s and with a little more money. Like the main guy who is a police captain/scientist/tracker/police inspector/etc. simultaneously is also the dude who produced the movie so I just attributed it to that.

THAT said hell yes it's underrated, it's a "bad" movie because it had no budget but even on IMDB it has a 2.9, like whoever rated it that low has never seen an actual awful robot out of control movie, R.O.T.O.R. is a campy blast from start to finish whether it was intentional or not, it's awesome.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Neo Rasa posted:

I will always hate that they didn't make a R.O.T.O.R. sequel starring the awesome rocket launcher wielding buff genius scientist philospher woman who gets introduced towards the end of the movie that they hint at resurrecting as a robot.

That was the real part where I started to think it was satire, the dialog they have while driving to the final showdown. Then when they get there and have to figure out where to go the protagonist is just like "I spent time with Indians on the reservation every weekend I know this gorge like the back of my hand" or whatever. :laffo: That and the part where he stops the robbery at the gas station by cold shooting a dude and it has that super slow motion shot of him revealing a gun from inside his newspaper with that really badly dubbed "I've got MORE than just a newspaper.....and YOU get to guess what it is." So awesome. :D

There is a lot of little stuff in this movie that I missed it on a first viewing. Apparently a lot of the dialogue is redubbed, too, with different voices than the actual actors which seems pretty strange but adds an extra level of oddity to the whole thing.

I mention the cartoon origins of the director and writers, though. They combined had a lot of storyboard and writing credits for 70s-80s cartoons. Despite the tone of the movie, the version I've seen have been relatively mild in content compared to other 80s action fare. After learning this, I sort of wonder if this was maybe an attempt on their part, too, to making a Robocop-styled product live-action that that could be very easily turned into a animated series that they'd end up having rights to or if it was their way of doing what a live-action movie sort of bound by some of the limits of cartoon action's (mostly) "no harm done" violence.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the realm of bad movies, ROTOR seems largely ignored, maybe because it doesn't seem to be on the IMDB Bottom 100, yet it's almost universally considered a bad film. Despite that, there's a seemingly very strong sense that you get of them intentionally making a satire disguised as a bad action movie, and people seem to mistake it as the latter when its really the former. It's easy to write the film off as incompetent, but I'm getting more the feeling that this is the sort of parody/satire of 80s action films that some modern stuff have done more overtly in the last decade or so.

Maybe this is helped in part by being from writers of Saturday morning cartoons, too.

ROTOR has gotten really popular in the last few years, and even got a blu ray release.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
R.O.T.O.R. is legit one of my favorite movies of all time.

I love Coldyron!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Echoing Grandma's Boy, as a super quotable fun stoner movie, and Dune for its crazy costumes and sets, and dark futuristic atmosphere.

Also, I think Event Horizon is terribly underappreciated. I first saw it three times in middle school and each time was scarier than the last. This film effectively portrays a combination of the infinite horror that the concept of "hell" conjures in the popular imagination, with the dark infinity of space. Sam Neill is incredibly effective as a scientist transformed into a demon. It's amazing that there aren't more films that combine the fantasy idea of the demon with the sci-fi setting of planets and space - this is the only one I can think of.

Edit: also Gangs of New York. It's chaotic and a bit of a mess, but so was 19th century New York :v: I love how the smoldering issue of the civil war finally comes to a head at the same time as the climactic gang fight, and I almost cried at the final scene of the gravestones sinking into the ground as New York changes over the decades.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 8, 2017

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thirsty Girl posted:

ROTOR has gotten really popular in the last few years, and even got a blu ray release.

The poster is generating 99% of the interest.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Miami Vice is the last good movie that Michael Mann made. I like the rough-around-the-edges digital cinematography, the soundtrack (a bit heavy on the Audioslave though), the shootouts, the forced slickness of it all. I'm a fiend for mojitos.

People have mentioned Dune but I think Wild at Heart is constantly overlooked compared to the rest of the Lynch filmography and even Nic Cage's, even if it did win a Palme d'Or. It's nuts and has a lot of fun being nuts.

Robert Z'Dar's looking well these days.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 9, 2017

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Also I think Miller's Crossing is one of the best mob movies of all time. Sure, it's not underrated to anyone who's actually seen it, but that's comparatively few next to Goodfellas, The Godfather, Untouchables, etc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Miller's Crossing owns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't stand the why Miami Vice looks. It looks like it was shot with a cheap handy cam and not something remotely close to something that fits a budget over 15 dollars.

I can't stand the way all of Mann's films during his digital obsession look. They just don't look like movies. And the guy shoots cinematic as gently caress shots so it just frustrates me.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
It feels more then a little problematic to champion a Roman Polanski movie starring Johnny Depp, but drat if The Ninth Gate isn't a personal favorite that seems mostly forgotten these days.

At the time the reaction to it was mostly disappointment and unfavorable comparisons to Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant, as well as plenty of complaints about its ambigous, anticlimactic ending (which has kind of grown on me).

I think the problem is that while The Ninth Gate is a meandering and dull horror movie, it is secretly an excellent noir that is absolutely dripping with atmosphere.

Depp is kind of of fun as an amoral and mercenary book antiquarian who is quickly in way over his head, and the occult mystery plot is overall pretty engaging, but I am just in love with the atmosphere of the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Miami Vice is fantastic, the final scene set to Mogwai's "Auto Rock" is a gut punch. If it had been named something else and the obvious nods to the show were removed, critics would have hailed it as a masterpiece.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What makes it a masterpiece is that the same guy made the TV show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not arguing against that per se. I love the show.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
After Hours got a lot of solid critical acclaim but I reckon it's been overlooked, especially compared to Scorsese's other films. It's a strange, edgy black comedy that exactly captures the nervous excitement and recurrent dread of a coke binge, even tho the story isn't overtly about drugs. As such I feel it's underrated, especially in the canon of drug movies. Cool score also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By44ILNvyHk

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zohn posted:

It feels more then a little problematic to champion a Roman Polanski movie starring Johnny Depp, but drat if The Ninth Gate isn't a personal favorite that seems mostly forgotten these days.

At the time the reaction to it was mostly disappointment and unfavorable comparisons to Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant, as well as plenty of complaints about its ambigous, anticlimactic ending (which has kind of grown on me).

I think the problem is that while The Ninth Gate is a meandering and dull horror movie, it is secretly an excellent noir that is absolutely dripping with atmosphere.

Depp is kind of of fun as an amoral and mercenary book antiquarian who is quickly in way over his head, and the occult mystery plot is overall pretty engaging, but I am just in love with the atmosphere of the movie.

I agree, that movie's great and the ending kept me awake a few nights after I saw it.

Conan the Barbarian (1982, duh) is one of my favorites that a lot of people like while also dissing, but Arnie doesn't need to speak many lines to be a great actor, we used to have silent movies for christsake. I never even saw it til a few years ago but it's just such a great film that I fell in love with it. And the romance is great without feeling forced or sleazy for male gaze. The director's cut is the best version of it but I've heard it's not quite right on the blue release, haven't bought it to confirm.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

So is this the thread where we post movies everybody likes and also talks about?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mousepractice posted:

After Hours got a lot of solid critical acclaim but I reckon it's been overlooked, especially compared to Scorsese's other films. It's a strange, edgy black comedy that exactly captures the nervous excitement and recurrent dread of a coke binge, even tho the story isn't overtly about drugs. As such I feel it's underrated, especially in the canon of drug movies. Cool score also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By44ILNvyHk

This one made me think of The King of Comedy, another Scorcese film that gets overlooked a lot. Great performances by DeNiro, Jerry Lewis and Sandra Bernhardt.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
After Hours and King of Comedy would make a great, if impossibly anxiety-inducing double-feature.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A made for TV UK movie that's only about an hour long:
Briefest Encounter
IMDB: 7.6 (fairly high rating) but that rating comes from under 150 votes (so its not got a lot of pop culture awareness, probably.)

I was always sort of surprised in the 90s that it never got more fleshed out for a big-screen treatment. At only 60 minutes there are enough holes in the respective characters backstories to build up to the actual plot of the film, and the really dark comedy, horror and violent tone of the film would seemed to have fit right in with the 90s indie scene. (Note: if you like dogs, you may not want to watch this. It's the one thing in the film I really wished they'd found a way to sort of make less monstrous on the part of the male protagonist.)

It's a story of a pair of people who meet at a party, go home and through a series of lies, phobias and misunderstandings each one becomes more distrusting, fearful and hateful of the other.

GIGA-Reagan
Mar 11, 2017
Not sure if any of these "underrated", but I sure as hell don't see them mentioned much.

The Lather Effect - I only watched this cause of Eric Stoltz but it's turned into one of my favorite little known comedies of all time

Ladyhawke - Great movie with good old character interactions and conversation to push the plot forward. Some people don't like the soundtrack, I think it's amazing they had the balls to green light the music they put in the movie.

Ready to Rumble - This movie is amazing.

Euro Trip - Again, I dont see this movie get the praise it is due. Great story, the acting is pretty solid, and it's generally hilarious.

Not Another Teen Movie - No parody movie will ever hold a candle up this this cinema perfection.

The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk - Top tier Kung Fu with truly hilarious plot

True Romance - You're so cool.

Gattaca - Probably the best boring movie ever made. I love this film

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

GIGA-Reagan posted:

Not sure if any of these "underrated", but I sure as hell don't see them mentioned much.

That's one reason I included the IMDB scores with my recent suggestion. I wonder if just picking a set of criteria like, "if a movie's IMDb rating is 6.9 or less and/or has less than 25K votes that give it that rating" would help.

I'm sort of using those two sets of numbers because ANY film being 7.0+ would probably make it considered fairly well-rated. In addition, a movie with more than 25K votes that get it its rating has probably been seen by enough people to indicate it's got a decent amount of recognition and awareness.

So films with 7.0+ ratings but only a few thousand votes could be worth pointing out in a sense of, "this is so under the radar that people by in large don't even know it exists, they'd ignore it and/or wouldn't think something this seemingly unpopular is worth watching."
Films with sub-7.0 ratings but with several hundred thousands votes could be argued with, "Everyone hates this movie as you can see by the score , but I think it's a better film than most people do."

edit: I'm genuinely shocked Grandma's Boy has a 7.0 with almost 70K votes. Both the score and the number of votes seems way higher than I thought it would be.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 11, 2017

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

JediTalentAgent posted:

edit: I'm genuinely shocked Grandma's Boy has a 7.0 with almost 70K votes. Both the score and the number of votes seems way higher than I thought it would be.

Was literally going to bring this point into the mix when I started reading your post. It's pretty clear Grandma's Boy is not a Good Movie by the typical barometer of most cinephiles and most critics trashed it on release. I think for moviegoers, the ability to enjoy a movie's merits despite a critical drubbing probably qualifies it as "underrated".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

GIGA-Reagan posted:

Gattaca - Probably the best boring movie ever made. I love this film

Wait why is it "boring"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!