Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

cubicle gangster posted:

If they remake the division but set in a world that looks like pandora from avatar & manage to drop enough story nuggets and a couple well designed missions then i'll probably get 30 odd hours of this. The biggest problem with games like this is that people expect to get 100 hours + out of it and will see it as being poo poo if it doesnt hold them for that long.

Well, yeah, I am going for the 30+ hours target, but Bioware devs apparently said in interviews that they want people to play Anthem for a longer period of time, and Andrew Wilson, EA's ceo, already sold Anthem as their entry in the "Games as a service" model.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-10-biowares-new-live-service-game-delayed-to-eas-next-financial-year
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/10/15776190/anthem-bioware-e3-2017
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/621193/EA-Play-Bioware-news-Mass-Effect-developers-IP-game-Dylan-E3-2017-updates

So if people don't play the game for more than 100+ hours then EA has a bigger problem than just people saying that Anthem is a bad game on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Internet Kraken posted:

The most fun I had in an MMO was Guild Wars where you could hit max level in your first few hours and then had to overcome combat challenges by developing better tactics rather than just coming back later with bigger numbers.

Incidentally Destiny happened to be like that when Bungie introduced Etheric Light in House of Wolves, and I just liked dicking in the world trying to do different loadouts, hoping The Taken King would keep that. Instead nope, The Taken King made the game an unfun grindfest which required raiding for progression (and if you skipped easy mode raid, there was absolutely no possibility into going into hardmode, unless you ran pubbie groups, because light drops outside raids were an insult to intelligence).

Is Guild Wars 2 still like that or has it succumbed to the "THOU MUST GRIND, REDDIT VULT" scream?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea how Guild Wars 2 is. What I do remember is years ago when it was first revealed a big talking point was how the level cap was raised from 20 to something absurdly high which bummed me out. It was getting rid of something I really liked about the first game in favor of grind. People still play it though so I assume its a good game, but its probably not the impossible dream MMO I'd need to really get back into the genre.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

If Anthem is on par with what I got out of Destiny/Taken King, then I'll wind up putting a bunch of hours into at least the co-op/non-PVP stuff.

Probably my biggest worry at this point is being forced to interact with BioWare's fanbase.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The max level in Guild War 2 is 80 now but what they do is that each zone has max level that will auto downgrade people so there is always a challenge no matter where the player goes. It really isn't a grind either way since everything in the game gives exp and crafting is basically the whole "turn money to exp". Even playing PvP gives auto level up tomes to use in PvE while providing you all max level PvP gear you could need.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I had already completely forgotten the trailer less then a minute after watching it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RevolverDivider posted:

I had already completely forgotten the trailer less then a minute after watching it.

I said this in the Mass Effect thread but it really is an impressively boring trailer.

Like I am totally down for all of its ideas and concepts in theory, but watching the trailer was the visual and auditory equivalent of chewing dry oatmeal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

marshmallow creep posted:

I said this in the Mass Effect thread but it is an impressively boring trailer.

But what about the part where she gets JARRA'S WRATH?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I said this in the Mass Effect thread but it is an impressively boring trailer.

You don't like the adventures of incredibly bland young alien professionals (yappies)?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RevolverDivider posted:

same

probably some people just enjoy whatever poo poo this is but it looks crap to me

bring back classic ultimate online gaming industry, stop sending us this poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If this is supposed to be an answer to Destiny, what kind of trailers has Destiny had? Are they any better or is Bioware trying to ape boring trailers too?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I hope that this game doesn't get downgraded when it releases because even if the gameplay is uninspired it looks like a really nice world to explore and fly around in

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Lol op, if you have any hope for a bioware game in TYOL 2017 being good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If this is supposed to be an answer to Destiny, what kind of trailers has Destiny had? Are they any better or is Bioware trying to ape boring trailers too?

Are we comparing to Destiny at launch or Destiny 2?

Because Destiny 2's stuff is pretty different. They've been going more to comedy where a dramatic narrative about The Fate Of The World is continuously punctured by Cayde 6's irrelevance and the way the Guardians, the supposed heroes of all that is good, are mostly motivated by loot, making the in-setting characters behave the same way as the actual players.

Might not be everyone's style, but I think it's much better than this.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The trailers that led up to the first release of Destiny lied, not about the graphics but about the story.

The DLC trailers were competent but mostly CGI taken from the story mode itself.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Valliantstu posted:

Lol op, if you have any hope for a bioware game in TYOL 2017 being good.

Is this the Volcano to Destiny's Dante's Peak or the Deep Impact to Armageddon? Or is it the Core?

This is No Man's Sky to Destiny's Star Citizen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

limaCAT posted:

This is No Man's Sky to Destiny's Star Citizen.

But Destiny actually came out.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

chiasaur11 posted:

But Destiny actually came out.

:drat:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Can't wait to watch posters in this thread convince themselves that Andromeda was totally just B team work and won't reflect this and that they can totally trust EA this time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's good that both Bungie and Bioware are making a new Destiny game, maybe this time one of them will be good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I don't get this Loss edit. There aren't even 4 panels! :argh:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

pretty good ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq8MBfOzCLw

(watch on youtube for the cc)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 15, 2017

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm Wrecks Box One X and I approve of this thread

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It looks interesting but theres basically no way it will look and play the way they advertised it

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CharlestonJew posted:

It looks interesting but theres basically no way it will look and play the way they advertised it

Well imagine if Ea pulled out this move: they sell just the segment we saw (going around the corner everywhere in the world shows you a walled off section) and the game is just listening to the NPC dude, entering the suit and then speed running towards the flashing light at the end of the demo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlestonJew posted:

Anthem looks pretty but there's nothing so mindblowingly awesome about the gameplay or graphics that doesn't already exist in current gen releases. I mean it certainly could get downgraded but it wouldn't be because the tech isn't there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Consider this: The Anthem trailer showed less diverse game play than Trion's Defiance.

Also it's being beaten to market by actual Destiny 2.

If anyone is actually excited by that trailer then you're a lost cause and should just give up, pre-order the super ultra mega premium deluxe founder package for $500 and come back to let us know how that turned out once Anthem releases next year.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 15, 2017

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Is this finally the Destiny killer???? nope lmao

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

DancingShade posted:

Consider this: The Anthem trailer showed less diverse game play than Trion's Defiance.

If anyone is actually excited by that trailer then you're a lost cause and should just give up, pre-order the super ultra mega premium deluxe founder package for $500 and come back to let us know how that turned out once Anthem releases next year.

:thumbsup:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Take everything Bioware produces after that sham of a game Andromeda with a huge grain of salt.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
will there be any aliens/robots I can gently caress? if its a bioware game I want some gently caress

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlestonJew posted:

will there be any aliens/robots I can gently caress? if its a bioware game I want some gently caress

They even shoehorned romances into their Star Wars MMO so I'd say it's almost an absolute certainty. Cheap trill VG sex scenes are like the #1 consistent thing across all Bioware games now lmao.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
As a huge Destiny fanboy I am totally and 100% skeptical of Anthem, but honestly if they do a good job making a Destiny copycat, that isn't a bad thing. I don't expect Bioware to succeed at all, but I hope they do.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Its Destiny, but also Horizon and you're Iron Man

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

AAB posted:

:gizz:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Wake me up if it turns out there's a substantial single player campaign involved. Even though I skipped ME:A, for the moment, Bioware's always been at least solid at crafting big stupid choose-your-own-adventure power fantasies. Like exquisite tea said, they even had some decent plot branching in their star wars MMO. But I honestly don't see how that's possible with this game being persistent online co-op.

If you can solo Anthem and there's content, I'll probably buy it. But if I wanted another loot-treadmill that I ditch a few days into the endgame I'll stick to The Division or Borderlands or whatever.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

"alright anthemers, its time to become legacy. lets go gently caress and cum in this cyber beast"
- aw gently caress yea dawg
- nah
- but what about ethics in machine part harvesting????

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
There's only room for one Anthem in my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

AAB posted:

Felt good to see Ed Boon offhandedly refer to Anthem as "the Iron Man game."

• Locked thread