Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, I started last night and picked up one of the starter packs. Should I grab the 1500 magicite monthly pack thing next or just finish out buying the starter packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

My rule of thumb is to always have the Mobius Box going whenever possible if only for the skillseed doubling

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The Mobius gift box gives you 6 summon tickets, so that would cover the other two starter packs for you.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oh yeah, also that

For some reason I thought the starters were magicite only

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Always prioritize the magicite gift box. There is no downside to getting it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Dammit you’re going to make me play this game I stopped playing months ago telling me about all these new things.

I could’ve been a launch day “I have everything” player on this but I got kinda burnt out. It sounds like you don’t really need to have been around forever to eventually catch up and have a lot of stuff, is that right? Or is this one of those “Nobody has everything” games?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you can do real solid catchup, especially now that the supreme cards are sitting in the gacha and aren't limited anymore (are still super rare)

if you're gonna start fresh i'd say wait for the next event to start and reroll until you get one of the standouts from that limited set, if you have the drive to bother rerolling

source: i started at launch, faded out, picked it back up beginning of last month and doin' fine

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Patware posted:

you can do real solid catchup, especially now that the supreme cards are sitting in the gacha and aren't limited anymore (are still super rare)

if you're gonna start fresh i'd say wait for the next event to start and reroll until you get one of the standouts from that limited set, if you have the drive to bother rerolling

source: i started at launch, faded out, picked it back up beginning of last month and doin' fine

Yeah I definitely won’t bother rerolling but if the catchup is fine then god dammit I’m playing three gacha games at once now.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 27, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Okay so stupid question: Why is the suggestion to sell one and two star cards? I thought you had to use those to make the three and four stars more powerful.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Celery Jello posted:

Okay so stupid question: Why is the suggestion to sell one and two star cards? I thought you had to use those to make the three and four stars more powerful.

Well when you upgrade a card all future drops of that card are at the upgraded level, so if you aren't upgrading that particular card then it has no use? Maybe? That advice is oddly worded to be honest.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Okay, makes sense, I guess. It’s been so long I don’t remember which part of a card’s progression I need fodder for, and since It turns out I left before Chapter 3 existed, the starter pack cards appear to be allowing me to just blitz through everything right now.

I’ll have to figure out which of the twelve dots on the world map to go for next, I guess. They could do a better job of making the progression there obvious, I’m sure it makes sense if you were around for the release of each of those things.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fodder is for ability levels. The idea is that you ascend 1*/2* fodder cards up to 3*, at which point 'Lesser Ice Sword' becomes 'Ice Sword', for example, and can then be used to level the abilities of your summoned cards. This used to be a bigger pain in the rear end until Exploration 4 Redux, which lets you easily grind low-tier ascension mats.

As for story progression remember you can just hit List View to get a simpler view without tabbing around that lovely globe, where your progression is a lot more self-evident. Don't worry about the Hard Mode stages until you hit a point where you're either done with the story or can't progress (unlikely) - they're just harder versions of the chapters with random cactuars mixed in and more rewards.

Basically once you've done the tutorial stage (DO THIS: There are some free cards and SHITLOADS of skillseeds) just push the story to get your level cap up, then sweep up hard modes/Chaos Vortex at your leisure. Pleiades is for grinding mats to go from 4* -> 5* and for fractals to unlock bonus passives on your cards. Multiplayer provides some very good weapons, you'll want to pick up at least one with Extra Skill Unlock.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Most of the creature drops before chapter 4 are "fodder" for abilities that have been beaten up pretty hard with the powercreep stick. That said, most (but not all) of the stuff from chapter 4 onwards that you'll want to use as fodder drops at 3* by default, so no real reason to save up.

If you're going to upgrade anything, I'd upgrade the following cards, and in about this order:

Tiny Attack Dudes
These upgrade the single-target cards you'll get from the newbie zone and newbie pulls once you get them to 5*. The rest of the single-target stuff isn't worth the resources to upgrade past 3*. (3* -> 4* is more resource-constrained than 4* -> 5*.)

Dust Soldier (Fire, Water, Earth Sword for Warriors to upgrade Ares and Siegfreid from the Tutorial Zone and Onion Knight from the Newbie Pull)
Dust Ranger (Windfang for Rangers to upgrade Griffon from the Newbie Pull)
Dust Mage (Aero for Mages to upgrade Sylph from the Newbie Pull)

Gold Support Dudes
These rare gold dudes upgrade support cards that fit into almost every deck and are mostly available but are somewhat powercreeped by cards that give multiple buffs at once. I'd avoid selling any of them if you can, since they're generally more annoying to get to spawn . Fuse 'em together if you can, but if you gotta sell 'em, sell 'em.

Pure Wind (Haste for Hermes) <-- Possibly worth running in your deck if you're not swimming in ability tickets for Hermes and didn't pull it or The Undying. Haste is really good.
Dust Bandit (Barrier for Fat Chocobo from the Warrior Newbie Pull)

Dust Striker/Grudge Contender (Taunt/Curse. Won't spawn for a long while but might as well include them here)
Grudge Magus (Faith for Moogle)
Grudge Brigand (Boost for Artemis)
Pure Ice (Wall for Alexander)
Gold Bomb (Snipe for Lancelot from the Ranger Newbie Pull)

Bombs
Elemental Bombs are there if you want to run a monocolor deck of that element. Very useful in MP, not so important otherwise. Upgrade them before you upgrade stuff that's not on this list at all.

What about the rest of the cards from the Newbie pulls?
Bahamut, Ashura, and Tempest are very good cards, but their fodder comes from Shadow cards that start spawning in Chapter 4 and drops at 3* already.

The rest of the attack cards in the newbie pull (Geryon, Syldra, Valkyrie, Hollo, Famfrit, Shiva) are fine since they're already at 4*, but probably aren't worth the resources to upgrade beyond that. They're dated to the point that they don't even show up on banners anymore.

As for Drain (absorb 1/2 the damage you do from tap attacks), you should probably choose Fat Chocobo from the warrior pull (30% reduced damage) over it every time. It's a great source of Dark skillseeds, though, so slot it when you run low on em (until you get better stuff).

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 28, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the advice - so it sounds like I don’t need to do fusion to level up cards or skillseeds, hence why the only use for fodder is the skill upgrades. So I can safely skip that for the lower level ones (it looks like I had made some progress on that front, mostly with the en____ abilities) in favor of pushing through the story for the better abilities.

Sounds like I can toss a bunch of stuff I’d saved up, then. Almost seems like it might be worth rerolling after all just to have my head screwed on straight.

Thanks for all of this. If I have other stupid questions I’ll be sure to ask.

Like for instance: Why would they make an anniversary ability so useless? Doing 888 damage seems like it’s not worth it.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 28, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Those anniversary tomes are used to skill up the other anniversary cards (at least the ones that have an offensive ability attached) that are obtained in the gacha from the anniversary banners. They're not meant to be their own things. I've kept some around, though, just in case something comes up that makes them exploit a mechanic. Haven't tried it out, but if it's fixed damage no matter what, maybe there are some enemies that could do something on.

Otherwise, just keeping some around to level up those cards if I wanna 5* any of them later. No biggie, though. I have a ridiculous number of ability cards (1,144). And that's after being lazy about leveling up some other cards recently.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Speaking of which, if you have anniversary attack cards at 4* now and don't have anything better to do on mobius day tomorrow, grinding smooshing tomes together until you have 4 copies at level 6 for each card is not the worse. That's 44 (mobius day) drops per anniversary card.

The alternative is spending 137 ability tickets or 92 ability tickets and 2 mog amulets later on (per card) if you want to max 'em after the event is over.

A list of Anniversary attack cards:

Awesome
Witch's Kiss
The Knight
The Friend

Solid
Beginning Warrior
Chaos

Has its uses, but that 2-turn cooldown :catstare:
The Princess
The Unscathed
The Blank

Not an attack card, uses Support Tomes from multiplayer to upgrade instead, so join the discord and try multiplayer to upgrade them, it's fun
New Journey
Peace of Moment
A Palamecian Tale

Not an attack card, uses Support Tomes from multiplayer to upgrade instead, so join the discord and try multiplayer, it's fun, but this card isn't as good as the other ones (but could be important some day)
Yellow Ribbon

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I was asked on the discord to post this here:

Speaking of gold fodder, the only way to get the majority of them to spawn in any reliable fashion is in Gigantuar Terrace: Regrowth. It costs 3 Mystic Tablets to enter the Gigantuar Terrace. The tablets have no other use that I'm aware of (besides running Shrine of Trials instead, the JV version of Gigantuar Terrace that's skippable now) so spend away.

You choose a path between Gold Gigantuars (drops sell for lots of gil), Metal Gigantuars (drops fuse for lots of exp), or normal green Gigantuars (drops are great at unlocking skillseeds). Once you choose your first fight, the other two paths close off, and you get 2 more nodes of the given type. You can only fight Gigantuars once per node, and each fight also gives way more skillseeds than any other fight in the game (x200 or more).

If you stay in the zone after you've cleared the fight, the gigantuars will be gone, but you can continue to fight in the nodes, where nothing but gold fodder will spawn.

Gigantuar Fodder Fights
Gold: Barrier, Cure, and Brave (Dust fodder)
Metal: Faith, Boost, and Drain (Grudge fodder)
Green: Haste, Wall, Regen, and Berserk (Pure fodder)

Farming tip: The RNG knows which fodder you want, and will try to drop only the other stuff listed. If you're farming Barrier, make sure you think really hard about how badly you want Brave fodder to properly confuse your RNG.

The Rest of the Gold Fodder
Gold bombs: No dedicated node, only rare spawns. Exploration 3 or Exploration 4.2, and hope for the best.
Dust Striker, Grudge Contender: Dedicated nodes with no time limit in Exploration 4.2.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Mobius Day :siren:

For new players, this is your 'farm your face off' day, you can get a big jump in power depending on how you spend your time.

Pleiades Lagoon is fully opened, you can farm up Fractals or Pneuma of any color you want; the former for giving bonus skills to cards, though you should be doing that at the end of Anniversary area 2 right now, the latter for ranking up summoned cards from 4* to 5*.

Elixirs give double Stamina, which may be slightly less useful if your max stam is still low, but either way, it's more value out of them and good for continuing to plow through story or exploration areas.

Cards skill up more easily, combined with Mog Amulets, this is the day to do your card abilities from rank 8->10.

There was a thing where all dropped cards came at ability rank 2, but that might have been a mobius week/anniversary special? Can't remember. If it's still present it just means farming to raise card ability levels from dropped cards will be even faster.

Might be some other bonuses I'm forgetting, those are the big ones.

Decide now if you're gonna go for the last of the anniversary cards or save up for the upcoming FF13 event.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So does this auto enhance function override auto sell, letting me selectively farm for particular abilities? Or would I have to turn it off on whatever I’m farming?

e: yesssssss

Unfortunately I have no monk cards to speak of so it’ll be a while before I can actually use it :(

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 30, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh look, it’s me with another question. How come some of the cards in the ability shop cost 30 to 50 more than the rest? I can’t tell at a glance what makes them so special. Are they the most recent batch of cards or something?

Also I’m feeling like I should just settle into a groove of updating what I have rather than going for Pokemonning right away. That said, is there a general layout I should look for building first (one attack of each color plus a support, mono deck) or is that goal specific?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The devs realized people were building up a huge number of ability cards and wanted to make people spend them. So they upped the price on some cards as they came out.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So they're not necessarily better or worse, they're just trying to eliminate a backlog? Makes sense, but means me with my paltry 250-some tickets ain't touchin' em. I still have a lot of gaps to fill in that I'm sure will become obvious when I blitz through the story to the hard parts.

Also, reading back in the thread helped me figure something out - my problem is I'm remembering the very early game set of cards, which was basically "cone, area, single in every element", and it sounds like it's more about cards that do "Cone plus break assist plus slow", and finding combos of that stuff that works. That's more interesting.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 1, 2017

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah the single/cone/area cards are outmoded to the point of no longer being pullable from the summons

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Celery Jello posted:

Oh look, it’s me with another question. How come some of the cards in the ability shop cost 30 to 50 more than the rest? I can’t tell at a glance what makes them so special. Are they the most recent batch of cards or something?

When the game first came out almost all cards were available in the ability shop and you can't summon anything you already bought as your pity pull. Thus, if you bought everything in the shop you were guaranteed to get one of the early access cards every 4 pulls, so they increased the shop prices to keep people from doing that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I ran into the same problem with this game that I do most free-to-play mobile games, in that I played about 30 minutes, was assaulted continuously with numbers and names of things that sound like real words but mean something different in this game, and a few dozen battles all that can be beat by auto-battling. I understand there's more to it, but there's such a glut of bullshit to slog through before any of it is even visible.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah it takes awhile before you start getting to battles that are more than 'push auto, watch numbers go up'. But it's important to understand even after you hit that point, this is a mobile grinder where doing that on your commute/work desk is a bit part of 'progression', such as it is.

For new players, a quick tip, progressing through the main story unlocks card level max increases, so be sure to keep progressing through the story when you can.

Additionally, you unlock your second deck, which you can use to run two jobs and switch between them in combat. Just as (or more) importantly, you can use your 'main' deck as the deck that counts for post-battle skillseed rewards. This means you can stuff your primary deck with a bunch of seed-only cards and use your sub deck to actually fight. This is especially effective once you can hit high scores in the Gigantuar terrace and rack up literally over a million of each seed without much trouble.

Anniversary free draws are over, and while there's a double job chance summon coming up, I'd recommend saving your Magicite and tickets for the upcoming FF13 event.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ok, one more GAS pull...

GOLD

Moogle!?!?

drat it. At least I didn't spend any money on this.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So now that I’ve bulldozed my way through the anniversary content, I think I’ve figured out a plan:

1) Don’t worry about ability levels until I’ve gotten through the story; since I’m like twenty levels behind the curve, that’s more important.

2) Put a deck or two per class together with whatever the gacha decides to give me.

3) Don’t worry about buying ability shop abilities until I’ve capped out my gacha stuff.

Does that sound reasonable, or am I way off? I’m trying to give myself a narrow path so I don’t get overwhelmed with trying to max out seven hundred cards at once.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

What's your best job in terms of damage? You want to figure that out and buy the relevant AoE Break Defense Down and that particular card is worth going out of your way to max up.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Patware posted:

What's your best job in terms of damage? You want to figure that out and buy the relevant AoE Break Defense Down and that particular card is worth going out of your way to max up.

I pretty much have the three Newbie Pull jobs and Moogle Suit, thats it. I stopped playing originally well before there were any jobs to speak of so other than that it’s barely leveled OG jobs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Celery Jello posted:

So now that I’ve bulldozed my way through the anniversary content, I think I’ve figured out a plan:

1) Don’t worry about ability levels until I’ve gotten through the story; since I’m like twenty levels behind the curve, that’s more important.

2) Put a deck or two per class together with whatever the gacha decides to give me.

3) Don’t worry about buying ability shop abilities until I’ve capped out my gacha stuff.

Does that sound reasonable, or am I way off? I’m trying to give myself a narrow path so I don’t get overwhelmed with trying to max out seven hundred cards at once.

I say go hog wild with buying ability shop stuff, you get ability tickets like crazy. I'm sitting on 1.1k and have been maxing out abilities like crazy.

Your overall plan isn't bad, but you're going to hit a wall. At that point you're going to want to skill up the abilities and get those hidden skills done. Reducing costs and getting orbs back and other bonuses are a huge deal once you get them going.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh yeah, I’m not going to ignore skilling things up, but putting a deck or two together will let me focus on exactly what to skill up first.

The other trick is needing the locations open to grind skill up mats, hence wanting to plow through story.

Thanks for the advice on tickets, though. I’m sitting on nearly 300 so its good to know going ham on some ability I want isn’t a huge setback. I was planning on saving them for some gacha ability to skip the grind.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Been playing through the game and I was just wondering, when does the game get hard???

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Hold your tickets for the FFXIII event in a few days. You might pull something good and want to boost it quickly. Since it's box type, I'm going for Serah (Brave + Faith + Ultimate Charge) and Snow (Monk water damage focus) on the first banner and might pull for Fang on the second for Squall, but it depends on how many tickets I have left.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FFXIII starts Tuesday 9/5, 11pm est, :siren: Save your tickets and Magicite :siren:

Don't burn it on this job banner, it's a trap.

Details:
http://information.mobiusfinalfantasy.com/ne/sp/2017/09/02/65443b6c3b4f43a87ff7fb0eb1d4eaabb7f735bc.html

8 free summon Tickets, 600 Magicite, 30 ability tickets, 13 crystals (:haw:), 3 Exstrangers, 2 Growstars, good poo poo.

Free Lightning card and Lightning's weapon.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The man called M posted:

Been playing through the game and I was just wondering, when does the game get hard???

The story zones are never hard by design. Anyone can go through those with pretty much anything. If you put it into hard mode, the later chapters are less wise to auto generally, but not too bad.

The events range in difficulty and the ranking events go up in difficulty until you hit a wall. Multiplayer also has variable challenge. Exactly where you find challenge in limited time stuff will largely depend on what you pull.

Regarding what abilities to buy in the shop, there's an argument for buying everything that's cheap. That way, when the gacha gives you dupes, it also gives celestriad. You can then sell the dupe for 2 ability tickets (or more if you from whatever method have a 4 or 5* version) so it doesn't even really cost that much.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Unless you're pulling a bunch on non-starter banners, you should probably spend your first 64 ability tickets on a "MAX Boost" Hermes, which gives haste: +50% actions, rounded up. Then spend your next 64 on Knights of the Round, which gives 3 more buffs: Faith (150% Magic, which is all card damage), Brave (200% Attack, which is tap/ultimate damage to HP), and Boost (200% Break, which is tap/ultimate damage to red and yellow break bars).

Those are still some of the best support cards in the game and fit into pretty much every single player deck.

HPanda posted:

Regarding what abilities to buy in the shop, there's an argument for buying everything that's cheap. That way, when the gacha gives you dupes, it also gives celestriad. You can then sell the dupe for 2 ability tickets (or more if you from whatever method have a 4 or 5* version) so it doesn't even really cost that much.
This is a little less useful now that the 3-ticket attack cards have been pulled from the gatcha. You can still do it with some of the support cards. Not the elemental shifts, though.

The man called M posted:

If you want an idea of what the single player challenge content is like, try the infinite boss loop at the end of the 2nd anniversary event ("Chaos Coil"), or the Chaos Vortex, which doesn't cost stamina and has good rewards on first clear.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 3, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Hey in case you don’t check the Spirit Grove often, this guy owns

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Celery Jello posted:

Hey in case you don’t check the Spirit Grove often, this guy owns

Hell yeah he owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I decided to give this game a shot since it seemed like a good time rewards-wise. I don't know if I'm all that sold on it but the main character seems decent enough early on. I followed the instructions in the OP and got those three Starter Pack things and I just wanted to check and make sure I'm not gonna get screwed or penalized for using these insanely overpowered jobs and attacks so early on.

• Locked thread