Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You shouldn't have to, I don't think this is a demo so much as one of Sony's "full game trials." So if you buy the game it should just unlock what you downloaded. Not sure how it will work if you have a disc, I have a feeling you will still need to install it from the disc, but maybe they thought ahead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks and plays great to me ... but I'm not used to using a controller. Still working on the basement and my G25 isn't practical from the standing desk the PS4 is plugged into at the moment.

I would prefer there be more single-player focus but I think this'll be fine.

edit: still feels weird that trees look pretty drat crappy ... but the post-processing/shaders are a huge improvement over GT5/6. In-race it looks great. The static camera views where you can pick apart the scenery, not so good.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 10, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This demo is enough to convince me that I think I want to buy Sport, but it's for sure in no way going to replace Forza 7. It feels no where near as fun to play, but the game is just as beautiful looking as Forza.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The sport mode... which is qualify to race mode is pretty good. It fills the gap in forza for that serious multiplayer racing where people actually try because you're being ranked and get penalized for being hit. Also it seems the game had some ram protection built in for tight corners where the faster car gets ghosted

The rest seems incredibly incomplete for a game that has been delayed for what.. years ? Ok so we're lacking in cars and tracks we know that already.. but ... You can't join sport mode with a friend. You have to play a custom lobby. You can't buy cars in the demo either so youre stuck in that Subaru. We tried to buy the Miata so we could race together but the game won't you buy anything even though it lets you earn credits and go to the auto show.

You can't invite a friend, they have to search manually for the custom lobby.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Is this worth buying if I have no intention of playing multiplayer?

I really enjoyed prior GT games but this seems too different for my tastes

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dislike button posted:

Is this worth buying if I have no intention of playing multiplayer?

I really enjoyed prior GT games but this seems too different for my tastes

Right now you're better off buying a PS1/2/3 and an old GT game if you want GT singleplayer, of the great kind it used to be, on those great wonderful original maps. If GTSport goes live like this it'll block you out of what little singleplayer there is ("arcade", shitloads of license tests masquerading as singleplayer) if there's not a solid collection to the GT servers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fwiw I think it's too early to say for sure, but I would definitely not pre-order if I only cared about single player.

Overall, just stupid basic poo poo like the interface is vastly better then the PS3 era. I alluded to it before but it's also lost its weird crappy sterile sheen.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
AI isn't much of a challenge either at the the highest of the three difficulty settings.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I find it odd they don't just quickly hack together some championship races to please people, I mean they are literally just 3 races in a row against the same field.

I will say that there are a lot more missions and things to do than I expected, and if they also add things like the daily/weekly races that GT6 had there just might be a decent amount of single player content.... just no championships. I'd wait for retail to see what their plans are if you are on the fence though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
GT Sport does one thing right and that's having decent stock tunes. Forza and Pcars both don't play well right out the box without setup corrections to each car.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

abagofcheetos posted:

I will say that there are a lot more missions and things to do than I expected, and if they also add things like the daily/weekly races that GT6 had there just might be a decent amount of single player content.... just no championships. I'd wait for retail to see what their plans are if you are on the fence though.
And they may very well add stuff down the road ... just don't buy it until they actually do.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

teethgrinder posted:

And they may very well add stuff down the road ... just don't buy it until they actually do.

How long did it take GT6 to finally add the track editor? I remember that was a cool selling point that I stopped playing the game long before I ever saw.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

davebo posted:

How long did it take GT6 to finally add the track editor? I remember that was a cool selling point that I stopped playing the game long before I ever saw.

It took about 18 months. :eyepop: Right now GT Sports single player is arcade mode, you can earn credits and experience playing against AI there, and there are custom lobbies for multiplayer. The Sport mode works exactly like iRacing with a safety rating, qualifying, and waiting for races to start. My experience with Sport mode last night was pretty positive because people were racing clean and for the starting races you have ghost mode enabled on the cars.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

GT Sport does one thing right and that's having decent stock tunes. Forza and Pcars both don't play well right out the box without setup corrections to each car.

It's been a few years since I've played Forza but I thought Forza was always fine with default setups. Meanwhile Project Cars had the worst default setups I've used in 15+ years of playing racing games.

GT Sport is... actually good? I wasn't expecting much given the low diversity in the car list and few real tracks, but the core gameplay really clicks with me. Presentation is fantastic and I've found performance to be great as well on a base PS4. Sound is acceptable. I'm liking online racing too with GT copying safety ratings from iRacing. Only big complaint is rally, where the cars just don't seem to dig into the dirt, and the invisible walls are jarring after playing a lot of Dirt Rally and 4.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wanted to play online last night but the queues/starts were 25+ minutes and I couldn't fit that in.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, my Sport experience last night was insanely positive: 2 disconnect free races with full grids and very considerate drivers. Even if you are back in like 10th+ place racing online really adds something to the experience. My only complaint was that I got a mystery 6 second penalty in one of the races, but whatever, it isn't like my times are great anyway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The emphasis on proper racing etiquette sounds like a worthwhile tradeoff for being so content-light, IMO. Forza hopper lobbies have been nearly unplayable basically for years.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godzilla07 posted:

It's been a few years since I've played Forza but I thought Forza was always fine with default setups. Meanwhile Project Cars had the worst default setups I've used in 15+ years of playing racing games.

GT Sport is... actually good? I wasn't expecting much given the low diversity in the car list and few real tracks, but the core gameplay really clicks with me. Presentation is fantastic and I've found performance to be great as well on a base PS4. Sound is acceptable. I'm liking online racing too with GT copying safety ratings from iRacing. Only big complaint is rally, where the cars just don't seem to dig into the dirt, and the invisible walls are jarring after playing a lot of Dirt Rally and 4.

Forza setups are oversteer-heavy. It's a pretty easy fix, though: soften the rear anti-roll bars and brake bias to the front.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it would be so much better if they let you queue up for sport mode with friends, let you practice together, etc

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Has the RNG been tweaked for the gift cars? First one was a 2015 Nissan GT-R LM Nismo, today I got the Toyota FT-1 GT Vision.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if the miata race isn't a permanent race in the sports mode im gonna lose my poo poo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know if they'll have a "B-Spec" mode, like Gran Turismo 4?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No B-spec for this game.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's really disappointing that here's no way to calibrate pedals, as the G29 pedals I'm using have a super stiff brake pedal. Without re-calibration I have to put all of my weight on the brakes just to get 100% braking power, which ends up with me nearly pushing my chair over.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No B-spec for this game.

Why won't a game with hundreds of cars just let me collect hundreds of cars and manage an AI driver for those of us are :effort: about the actual racing part?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mister Facetious posted:

Why won't a game with hundreds of cars just let me collect hundreds of cars and manage an AI driver for those of us are :effort: about the actual racing part?

Can we just pay Chinese gold farmers to race for us then we can log in and buy cars we won't race?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Hmm, it's hard to steer straight with a controller.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This feels great. Rally sucks balls though. But it may have converted me to a buy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

How are people getting gift cars? I received the Peugeot when first logging in but haven't received one since.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

davebo posted:

Can we just pay Chinese gold farmers to race for us then we can log in and buy cars we won't race?

I want to actually watch the race though. That's why I don't like any of the race management games.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It crashes every time I go into the options menu.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

Played through the first set of driving school missions and did a couple of Arcade mode races. Got a Veyron in less than an hour as a reward for driving 26 miles. :v:

GOTY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

This isn't really the classic CarPG formula and actually focuses on the driving for once. Crazy.

Only got one online race in last night, but really liked the sign-up, qualifying, warm-up then race rhythm. Shame I finished like 20th out of 23 :smith: but it felt good!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

jabro posted:

How are people getting gift cars? I received the Peugeot when first logging in but haven't received one since.
The main way seems to be you get one each day for driving 50 miles

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

edit: I'm dumb + UI fail

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well this is a first for me.. actually getting podium in one of these games after a guy hits me and presumably others and doesn't observe his penalties

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think I'm going to get this, pending reviews.

A couple of questions;

1) does anyone know how much of this game is essentially comprised of "rally?" Because Rally feels pretty terrible.

2) bearing in mind I don't want to break the bank, but do want to pay for quality, what FFB wheel should I be eyeing?

3) how does one use a wheel in an office chair? Do I need to make some kind of sawhorse mount?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love Arcade mode the best. Custom Races give you a huge amount of options and it will tell you how many credits you are going to earn after the race is complete. I appreciate this feature a lot.

alr
May 14, 2009

Feenix posted:

3) how does one use a wheel in an office chair? Do I need to make some kind of sawhorse mount?

I have a G27 that I clamp to my desk for PC stuff and it's fine but I'm not super competitive. If you have any of those fancy load-cell brakes or spring mods that imitate real world pressure on your pedals you'll probably spin a bit though. Both chair and pedals are on carpet, I don't think it'd work on floorboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

10/10 - interface isn't the tire fires that were GT 5 & 6.

• Locked thread