Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

buddhanc posted:

Bama and Georgia. Still not convinced on auburn IMO

My thoughts exactly, but Auburn is the only other team in that garbage conference with a pulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan State won a complete clownball game

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
shoutouts to ole miss intentionally injuring our players and also losing 66-3 go gently caress yourself :wave:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

Every nole I talk to about football wishes we lost this game against wake

loving why? I mean I wish you did too but...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real talk: Wisconsin, please hold on to the ball.

Nonserious talk: LOL LSU.

Oh, and I'm going to credit Wisconsin for this downward spiral :getin:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think UGA's defense is legit. I think that defense is good enough to hang with most anyone. I'm not sold on our o-line, though they look way better than last year. We couldn't run the dang ball on Nichols last year, and we are doing a pretty good job of it now, but UGA AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY so I don't know how good it is. If our offense can keep being solid enough, our defense will win us games. It is actually a very Saban like mentality, and it is fine with me as long as it keeps working. I love that we are top 10, but still feel the hype is too much.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

SamuraiFoochs posted:

loving why? I mean I wish you did too but...

To spur changes in attitudes from the staff. I want those changes to manifest by way of firing coaches. Others have different ideas. The firing idea is pretty well-liked though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Huskies won easily as predicted. I feel bad for the beavers, they were a decent team for a decade or so

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

iospace posted:

Real talk: Wisconsin, please hold on to the ball.

Nonserious talk: LOL LSU.

Oh, and I'm going to credit Wisconsin for this downward spiral :getin:

The downward spiral started long before Wisconsin squeaked out a win over a mediocre LSU team last year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

buddhanc posted:

Bama and Georgia. Still not convinced on auburn IMO

You've got to put 25 teams in the top 25 you know

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chieves posted:

My thoughts exactly, but Auburn is the only other team in that garbage conference with a pulse.

Auburn hasn't done anything to not be a top 25 team at this point, I guess the worst thing is not housing Mercer like they should in a letdown game after hanging tough with what appears to be another top 5 Clemson team.

We say this every year but polls should be banned until at least October, that way you have to actually decide if you think Florida is a top 25 team after watching them and not just "do I have enough evidence to drop them out of the top 25?" every week when they look like poo poo but win.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Huskies won easily as predicted. I feel bad for the beavers, they were a decent team for a decade or so

All because Nebraska took Mike Riley :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just hope Penn State can hang on and win enough games that Saquon Barkley gets the Heisman.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

To spur changes in attitudes from the staff. I want those changes to manifest by way of firing coaches. Others have different ideas. The firing idea is pretty well-liked though

Do you mean Jimbo, or coordinators? If you want Jimbo fired you are high off your own farts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big money big clit posted:

The downward spiral started long before Wisconsin squeaked out a win over a mediocre LSU team last year.

Ok, serious talk for a moment. I legit think Wisconsin was the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to the public at large's opinion on LSU. LSU was coming in at #5, Badgers unranked, and guess what, Wisconsin won (mind you, a virtual home game). It all went downhill from there.

The spiral may have started before then, but we sure as hell stuffed any attempt at getting out of it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Do you mean Jimbo, or coordinators? If you want Jimbo fired you are high off your own farts.

The usual list of coaches. Charles Kelly, Jay Graham, Bill Miller, Rick Trickett, probably Lawrence Dawsey. The jury is still out on Randy Sanders and Vic Viloria.

So, 7 coaches

Rick Trickett has to go because this is really starting to be a safety issue

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 1, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“iospace”" post="“476935489”"]
Ok, serious talk for a moment. I legit think Wisconsin was the straw that broke the camel’s back in regards to the public at large’s opinion on LSU. LSU was coming in at #5, Badgers unranked, and guess what, Wisconsin won (mind you, a virtual home game). It all went downhill from there.

The spiral may have started before then, but we sure as hell stuffed any attempt at getting out of it.
[/quote]

I mean, the actual last straw was the Auburn game, after which he was immediately fired. Even if LSU had beaten Wiscy Miles would have likely ended up fired that season. He was all but fired the previous season but A&M is rear end and let him pull out a win to end the year.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Go Tigers

After the first few series I really didn't see a way that VT could come out on top barring some extreme gently caress-upery by Clemson. Glad it didn't happen. Really just happy by how everyone played tonight. Thinking about it, I think the only sub-par performance tonight was by our punter. Even then it wasn't terrible, dude was just popping up super short tonight.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

To be fair, every week the gap between Clemson and them grows and they can't afford to sit around waiting for the coaches to magically get better like players do. They're in an arms race and they're starting to lose badly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wonder what percentage of fired coaches are fired not because they themselves are bad at the job, but because their coordinators suck and they're too loyal to them to find new ones?

He wasn't fired but Bill freaking Snyder was kind of 'convinced' to retire at one point because of that. I'd think Les Miles might fit into this category too.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what percentage of fired coaches are fired not because they themselves are bad at the job, but because their coordinators suck and they're too loyal to them to find new ones?

He wasn't fired but Bill freaking Snyder was kind of 'convinced' to retire at one point because of that. I'd think Les Miles might fit into this category too.

Miles specifically couldn't get LSU out of an offensive quagmire over multiple coordinators. He was especially bad at fielding competent QBs. That was pretty much his undoing.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Crotch Bat posted:

To be fair, every week the gap between Clemson and them grows and they can't afford to sit around waiting for the coaches to magically get better like players do. They're in an arms race and they're starting to lose badly.

Years ago, early on, Jimbo wanted to have a policy of cycling some coaches in some places, maybe a coordinator or two, every couple years so that complacency doesn't set in and new ideas and structure can be tried out, keeping what works and knowing what doesn't in some contexts.

Then, the stuff happened with Jimbo's wife, Pruitt assured him he wasn't leaving and then he took a new job while Jimbo was literally on a trip with his son and didn't even tell him Prruitt was being interviewed, and some other stuff.

Now, Jimbo's extremely in to loyalty, and being very positive, and has deflated a lot as a coach. To Charles Kelly's credit, he is an extremely loving and kind man. He'd be great to keep around as, say, a very niche position coach or linebacker. But he should not under any circumstances stay as coordinator. There's not much else to say about most of the other coaches except they've engendered ennui the likes of which weren't seen since Bobby's Twilight

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Grittybeard posted:

Beamer would still be coaching if he was able to fire coaches. In principle you would take Fuente every time because he's young and the program needed a youthful reboot in many fashions but as far as "winning keeps your job" goes with a decent OC Beamer could have kept churning out Coastal titles forever as long as Foster was there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Miles specifically couldn't get LSU out of an offensive quagmire over multiple coordinators. He was especially bad at fielding competent QBs. That was pretty much his undoing.

Yeah I'd forgotten Miles did try a few different OCs, so maybe he doesn't fit. Even though you guys are probably already on the fire Coach O bandwagon (and probably rightfully) it struck me that LSU was able to complete some simple passes during that comeback attempt which is...like...somehow surprising after the last few years.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I know rankings this early are bullshit but I think it's pretty cool that Clemson became the first team to ever beat 3 top 15 teams before Oct 1.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

A lot of our fanbase is upset over losing but I don't know, I don't see it. I think it was fine all things considered, which is Clemson already being Clemson plus that D against our freshman QB, 1 WR, and 0 RB.

I thought we played tough the whole way and got beat by a better team :shrug: It wasn't perfect but I don't know what some people expected, seems dumb.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Scarf posted:

I know rankings this early are bullshit but I think it's pretty cool that Clemson became the first team to ever beat 3 top 15 teams before Oct 1.

That really surprises me based on how hosed the SEC rankings in particular are in the early season.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

zimbomonkey posted:

That really surprises me based on how hosed the SEC rankings in particular are in the early season.

Most of the good SEC teams don't play many other good teams until at least October.

I mean gently caress, look at Bama's schedule each year

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
d'shawn hand seems to only have a mcl strain not a tear so the enemies of alabama athletics are foiled again

taht being said still gently caress you whoever that lineman was that was dirty as poo poo and ur lucky nobody folded you like a lawn chair in retribution

give me the clemson rubber match let me at em let me at em

Scarf posted:

Most of the good SEC teams don't play many other good teams until at least October.

I mean gently caress, look at Bama's schedule each year

dude we invented playing top 10 teams week 1 gently caress off

since we have had saban here, teams weve played week 1

clemson
west virginia
virginia tech
florida state
michigan
wisconsin

Scionix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 1, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Scionix posted:

Colorado of all teams is who I remember first purposely stacking their early schedule at the tail end of when they were relevant up until last year. They constantly had a top 5 or 10 strength of schedule while being forced to play against the Big 12 North from something like the late 90s to when Barnett was finally fired.

I'm sure other teams did it earlier they're just the first I remember.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scionix posted:

since we have had saban here, teams weve played week 1

clemson
west virginia
virginia tech
florida state
michigan
wisconsin

Yeah, so do a lot of teams. But then who do you play weeks 2-4?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
lol, remember when Florida State was ranked #3, guys

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Scarf posted:

Yeah, so do a lot of teams. But then who do you play weeks 2-4?

sorry forgot you were playing the historically punishing week 2-4 games including

*checks notes*

boston college and kent state?

which is funny because colorado state is better than both of those teams

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scionix posted:

sorry forgot you were playing the historically punishing week 2-4 games including

*checks notes*

boston college and kent state?

which is funny because colorado state is better than both of those teams

Yeah, CSU had a fantastic game against pac-12 powerhouse Colorado.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

I thought we played tough the whole way and got beat by a better team :shrug: It wasn't perfect but I don't know what some people expected, seems dumb.

Much like Wake/FSU.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Jfc stop jerking off about rankings until the season's over

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

got any sevens posted:

Jfc stop jerking off about rankings until the season's over

Sir this is a time honored college football tradition and college football is about nothing if not traditions.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

lol espn just said none of Clemsons remaining opponents are ranked so why even try to poo poo talk until the playoffs

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

lol espn just said none of Clemsons remaining opponents are ranked so why even try to poo poo talk until the playoffs

Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fluffdaddy posted:

You either get to brag about playing Florida State or you don't, pick one.

• Locked thread