Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I know and it's loving poo poo. I am hoping for a Randy Bryce and Tammy Baldwin win next year but I'm not gonna hold my breath. :(

I love Tammy, but in a #MeToo world she's suboptimal. We don't want another Franken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CassandraSupreme posted:

I love Tammy, but in a #MeToo world she's suboptimal. We don't want another Franken.

What? I don't understand.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

CassandraSupreme posted:

who did tammy sexually assault

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OAquinas posted:

run everywhere, take nothing for granted.

So who's going to beat Romney in Utah and turn it purple?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Run everywhere and win everywhere are not the same things.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

OAquinas posted:

There's a difference between "not visiting" and "not expending resources." They cut off that whole section of the country in an insane game of chicken because they were so certain of victory. Hillary has her pros and cons, but the senior campaign staff she hired for both of her runs are a bunch of self-assured Dunning–Kruger incompetents.

Edit: Not looking to re-litigate 2016. Takeaway here is that the Trump margin isn't typical/predictive, or is at best a lone data point. Also: run everywhere, take nothing for granted.
I'm going to continue harping on this because I think it's essential to a functioning thread: Helicoptering in national narratives to paper over local dynamics is both tempting and often unhelpful. Repeating "2016 margins unhelpful because Hillary" to dismiss or minimize the discussion of dynamics in individual states or districts isn't productive or useful, especially when it's done without engaging with the local discussion.

So again, how does your national/regional explanation (a graciously nonrelitigating "they were so goddamn bad") explain Hillary well outrunning Obama in the metro while lagging well behind outstate?

Edit: This is not to say that a take is more correct because the person making it was local, nor is it to say that national factors and trends shouldn't be given weight. But it's a recognition that Minnesota is neither Michigan nor Wisconsin, as Detroit Lakes is not Delano is not Duluth. Local factors can complicate regardless of statewide or national trends. Disregarding them leads to poo poo like the Coakley campaign.

OAquinas posted:

Also: run everywhere, take nothing for granted.
You're goddamn right :hellyeah:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Dead Girls and Live Boys are everywhere, my friend.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 3, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You run everywhere because even if you don't win, a competent campaign can end up strengthening your local permanent institutions by engaging and mobilizing supporters and building a better political apparatus based on that support, which means you'll have a better shot next time.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Edit: This is not to say that a take is more correct because the person making it was local, nor is it to say that national factors and trends shouldn't be given weight. But it's a recognition that Minnesota is neither Michigan nor Wisconsin, as Detroit Lakes is not Delano is not Duluth. Local factors can complicate regardless of statewide or national trends. Disregarding them leads to poo poo like the Coakley campaign.

Excellent point. Look at VA. The Dems didn't win in all of the districts that were most favorable to the Dems by PVI, they won a number of places where local issues really mattered. Like in the district where a man who's girlfriend was murdered on live TV ran on gun control in a very red district and won. Or the woman who ran on solving local traffic issues in a very GOP district.

Sometimes you will get "surprise" wins where your candidate just has a better pulse of the local sentiment. It's why you run everywhere not just "run where the PVI is less than GOP+10". You'll also get wins like this because the electorate is not uniform and you'd expect to win (and lose) a few outlier races. If the overall margin in a state is D+8 you'll lose some races where the district PVI was previously R+6 and win some where the district PVI was R+10.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Paracaidas posted:

But what about sexy ghosts?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

While the Democrats are running a historically insane number of candidates, Republicans are having such difficulty that they can't find a candidate for a current Republican seat and are planning on writing it off:

quote:

Keeping Ros-Lehtinen's seat was always going to be a challenge for Republicans after the longtime Miami congresswoman announced her retirement in May. Republicans couldn't draw top-tier recruits, such as Florida Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera; one announced candidate made national news for claiming to have boarded a spaceship with aliens; fundraising has lagged; and one of the top GOP candidates recently left the race.

"The seat is now going to go to the Democrats," said Raquel Regalado, a former Miami-Dade school board member and candidate for Miami-Dade mayor who recently announced she was dropping out of the Republican race to replace Ros-Lehtinen. "I think I was the only moderate who could have fought that fight for a bunch of different reasons. I don't think you're going to see a large GOP financial investment. They're looking for a moderate candidate, but I don't think they're going to find one."

One Republican member of Congress rolled his eyes and sighed when asked about the GOP's chances in the district. Five Republicans, including members of Congress, staffers and fundraisers who said the seat is not winnable, requested anonymity to discuss their own party candidly.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/go...r=1737131x84899

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

CassandraSupreme posted:

I also don't understand this

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

While the Democrats are running a historically insane number of candidates, Republicans are having such difficulty that they can't find a candidate for a current Republican seat and are planning on writing it off:

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/go...r=1737131x84899

:stare:

That is totally insane. When's the last time a party straight up wrote off a seat they currently hold?

It was probably the Dems in 2010 wasn't it?

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Aves Maria! posted:

who did tammy sexually assault

I always heard rumors of her trolling UW for trim. If it happened and wasn't just a homophobic rumor, then even if consensual it's a bad look.

Cause otherwise she is amazing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Another big advantage that the Dems have is their huge disparity in money donated. It's arguable how much that matters for a national race but for local races it's critical. I believe the RNC itself is raising a good deal more than the DNC but the Democratic candidates themselves are drowning their Republican counterparts.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

achillesforever6 posted:

Pitt DSA isn't going to endorse him, mainly because he was a jagoff to our chapter during our meeting where we had a bunch of candidates state their case and answer questions. Also because he publicly endorsed the Costa over the DSA member running against him. Also because he is not nearly as progressive as he says he is (his track record in Braddock isn't that good, plus there is poo poo where he citizen's arrested a jogger with a shotgun). And finally our chapter was going in to this not really wanting to get involved in canvassing for a state wide campaign. Oh and he has a massive ego since during the time he would hog the mic and ignore our time constraints talk about the revolution he started before Bernie got popular.

Well, poo poo. That's what I get for not investigating, too deeply.

I do hope the 2 DSA'ers get on the ballot. I'm pretty sure that Gainey's going to stay on in my district.

By the by, what is the Pitt DSA like? Is the much cross-pollination/cooperation with the Allegheny Dems?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CassandraSupreme posted:

I always heard rumors of her trolling UW for trim.

I don't know what this means. She was looking for lesbians to have sex with on the University of Wisconsin campus? I mean, this just screams "made up by Breitbart", so unless I see a reputable source or two on it I'm gonna have to call it bullshit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CassandraSupreme posted:

I always heard rumors of her trolling UW for trim. If it happened and wasn't just a homophobic rumor, then even if consensual it's a bad look.

Cause otherwise she is amazing.

Until a victim comes forward I don’t think we can reasonably assume this to be true.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Paracaidas posted:

Mitt Romney is a centrist-right robot who has run for president twice and held high level office for many years. Unless he's suddenly developed a taste for the impure, the man is about as clean a sane politician as this country will ever see again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Until a victim comes forward I don’t think we can reasonably assume this to be true.

The impression I get is that with a lot of these scandals people in the know knew about it already, just not with sources that would allow publication. So if there are rumors of something that would be something to factor into your decision making: there are lots of good candidates, and it is vitally important that there not be a hidden scandal that would make a Trump re-election more likely.

That said, i have no idea what the gently caress he's even saying there are rumors of.

Niton posted:

Mitt Romney is a centrist-right robot who has run for president twice and held high level office for many years. Unless he's suddenly developed a taste for the impure, the man is about as clean a sane politician as this country will ever see again.

Romney's vices are RAM upgrades and flip-flopping but I would be utterly and completely shocked if there was anything more interesting than that.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 3, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

:stare:

That is totally insane. When's the last time a party straight up wrote off a seat they currently hold?

It was probably the Dems in 2010 wasn't it?

Assume so, there had to have been long-held seats from before the realignment that hadn't quite flipped and everyone knew were only holdable by the current incumbent. Can't think of any other cases.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

The impression I get is that with a lot of these scandals people in the know knew about it already, just not with sources that would allow publication. So if there are rumors of something that would be something to factor into your decision making: there are lots of good candidates, and it is vitally important that there not be a hidden scandal that would make a Trump re-election more likely.

That said, i have no idea what the gently caress he's even saying there are rumors of.

His implication was that she is sleeping with college students.

And yes, there usually are rumors, and the campaign team can deal with that, but I don’t think we on this website can take them seriously without some kind of actual source. Right now we have “some poster heard some stuff” which is functionally nothing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

And yes, there usually are rumors, and the campaign team can deal with that, but I don’t think we on this website can take them seriously without some kind of actual source. Right now we have “some poster heard some stuff” which is functionally nothing.

The issue isn't so much "can the campaign staff deal with it" as "are they true". I am not worried about a candidate being sunk by rumors alone. I would be worried about a candidate being sunk by rumors getting to a reporter who finds out they're true and that reporting sinking the candidate. I completely agree with "random internet poster says he heard a rumor" is not exactly much of anything. But I disagree with the idea if such a rumor is actually floating around among circles where it would be more credible must assume it's not true: if I thought there was even a 10% chance a damaging rumor was true that would be enough for me to support a different candidate in a wide-open primary like 2020 will be.

That said, I don't get the feeling that sort of rumor would be all that damaging. It's not a super great look but college students are adults and although it shouldn't matter, I get the feeling that a lesbian going after college women would get less of an ick factor than a man of the same age doing the same thing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

this is not a crime

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So barring any last second court action ~*The Coin Flip*~ that determines control of the VA House of Delegates is tomorrow.

That'll be fun.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

this is not a crime

Right now it’s barely an internet rumor so I don’t think it’s even worth the bother honestly.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

axeil posted:

So barring any last second court action ~*The Coin Flip*~ that determines control of the VA House of Delegates is tomorrow.

That'll be fun.

In the event of the coin landing on its side, Jeb! will be elected.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

That'll be fun.

What if it hits a desk? Does someone have to call no interference?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
They'll actually put both candidates' names in film canisters, and those canisters in a bowl, and draw both of them out, one by one. Whichever one gets called first wins. They pull both so they can show it was a fair set up.

Virginia election law is slightly confusing on the matter, but there probably cannot be another recount after this. However, expect whichever candidate loses to try and sue for one anyway.

The setup and drawing will be done by Virginia's Board of Elections, which was appointed by Democratic governor Terry McAuliffe. If you hate yourself, you can live stream it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Quorum posted:

They'll actually put both candidates' names in film canisters, and those canisters in a bowl, and draw both of them out, one by one. Whichever one gets called first wins. They pull both so they can show it was a fair set up.

Virginia election law is slightly confusing on the matter, but there probably cannot be another recount after this. However, expect whichever candidate loses to try and sue for one anyway.

The setup and drawing will be done by Virginia's Board of Elections, which was appointed by Democratic governor Terry McAuliffe. If you hate yourself, you can live stream it.

Hating myself is what I do best, unfortunately I’ll be working

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm not a very nothing matters poster but in my heart I know that the wrong canister will be picked

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Spiffster posted:

Hating myself is what I do best, unfortunately I’ll be working

Congratulations; the local PBS/NPR affiliate has you covered here via Facebook Live, apparently. Meeting starts at 11.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Well my lunch starts at 11 but if they take their sweet time I might miss it and get the biggest set of political blue balls.

Hells yeah im in for that :stoked:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BirdOfPlay posted:

Well, poo poo. That's what I get for not investigating, too deeply.

I do hope the 2 DSA'ers get on the ballot. I'm pretty sure that Gainey's going to stay on in my district.

By the by, what is the Pitt DSA like? Is the much cross-pollination/cooperation with the Allegheny Dems?
Not really, I mean we accept if you vote dem, but if you are candidate looking to get an endorsement you shouldn't say "I agree everything except the part of destroying capitalism" and definitely not get mad at the audience when they grill you on this in the Q&A section.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

achillesforever6 posted:

Not really, I mean we accept if you vote dem, but if you are candidate looking to get an endorsement you shouldn't say "I agree everything except the part of destroying capitalism" and definitely not get mad at the audience when they grill you on this in the Q&A section.

What if I like capitalism because its the best way to generate tax money to fund a strong social safety net, assuming we actually loving taxed the people making all the loving money.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know what this means. She was looking for lesbians to have sex with on the University of Wisconsin campus? I mean, this just screams "made up by Breitbart", so unless I see a reputable source or two on it I'm gonna have to call it bullshit.

I mean, I was on campus and knew co-op girls who claimed this (and a lot more people who claimed to know people). But "hooking up with Tammy" is the sort of toxic masculinity I'd (retroactively) expect from 19 year old bravado. Especially since young lesbians, especially from small town USA, can conflate "butchness" with "super toxic masculinity" since that is what has been modeled for them and is therefore the lens through which they (naively) view gender and gender roles at that point in their lives.

Basically: a big part of me thinks they made it up to look cool but a small part of me screams, "Isn't that rape-culture.txt?" Not to victim-blame a theoretical perp, but maybe that's why she's not seeking higher office that could expose her to that? This was decades ago, but if she was making those mistakes (even only a few times that get expanded through whisper networks) I could see keeping it cool.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
IN dem primary stuff:

I haven't seen any legit competitors for Donnelly in the primary, and I guess he's pretty alright for an IN dem, but how serious is his race? I know he was on the shortlist of nearly sure flips for Rs a few months ago, but is that still the case after everything we've seen in VA and AL? His fundraising emails would have me believe otherwise, and I am probably going to sign up to help, but I have a hard time getting excited about him. Some other IN goon help me out.

House stuff: I'm voting in IN-02, and we've got a pretty interesting selection of D challengers to the now obviously lovely R candidate (Walorski): a nominally catholic (Notre Dame and Saint Mary's ties) white lesbian lawyer/professor (Pat Hackett), an Indian local business owner (Yatish Joshi), and of course a white male former health care exec (Mel Hall). Identifiers are strictly for the consumption of this thread, but at this point I feel like Hackett is the candidate to back due to a well constructed message that aligns perfectly with South Bend's extremely popular mayor Pete Buttigieg (of potential DNC chair fame). Elite cred doesn't count for a lot in a lot of midwestern communities, but ND ties do in South Bend, so I feel like she's got a solid shot. Her campaign headquarters opening is in a few weeks and I intend to go to the open house party - I'll report back with thoughts in case anyone cares.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Quorum posted:

Simonds asked Yancey to pledge to accept the results of the drawing tomorrow and not ask for a recount or whatever if he loses. He declined, so you can assume he'll draw it out as long as he can. Remains to be seen whether Simonds will do the same, should she lose.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

IN dem primary stuff:

I haven't seen any legit competitors for Donnelly in the primary, and I guess he's pretty alright for an IN dem, but how serious is his race? I know he was on the shortlist of nearly sure flips for Rs a few months ago, but is that still the case after everything we've seen in VA and AL? His fundraising emails would have me believe otherwise, and I am probably going to sign up to help, but I have a hard time getting excited about him. Some other IN goon help me out.

He is considered one of the most vulnerable senators, but given the current political enviroment I don't think that anyone will be written off unless they're down like 20 a week before the election. Here's why you get excited: if he can keep his seat the chances that Democrats retake the Senate and Trump can't get another nutter confirmed to a court, can't get another nutter put in charge of an enviromental agency, and the like. Taking back the House stops new legislation. Taking back the Senate means the Supreme Court isn't lost for a generation and the Supreme Court goes hard, hard, hard right if RBG dies or Kennedy calls it quits.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

He is considered one of the most vulnerable senators, but given the current political enviroment I don't think that anyone will be written off unless they're down like 20 a week before the election. Here's why you get excited: if he can keep his seat the chances that Democrats retake the Senate and Trump can't get another nutter confirmed to a court, can't get another nutter put in charge of an enviromental agency, and the like. Taking back the House stops new legislation. Taking back the Senate means the Supreme Court isn't lost for a generation and the Supreme Court goes hard, hard, hard right if RBG dies or Kennedy calls it quits.

Yeah my takeaway from lurking a number of SA threads and listening to news has been that he's only going to win if the blue wave actually happens, but my personal take is that IN is a fairly give-no-fucks state when it comes to the normal curve of the rest of the country. My problem at this point is how to divide my efforts and my encouragement of others' efforts regarding the house and senate campaigns. I'm legit excited for the D challengers for the house but I guess I ought to summon up my strongest utilitarian instincts and get out the vote for Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

how serious is his race? I know he was on the shortlist of nearly sure flips for Rs a few months ago, but is that still the case after everything we've seen in VA and AL?
disclaimer: not an INgoon!
Especially after VA/AL, anyone who tells you they know what's going to happen in 2018 is a drat liar. Last I've seen polling was October, where neither of his challengers topped 40% in name recognition (Joe was a hair under 70%). I think his odds are better now than what I would have thought at this time in 2016, but eh? With said, definitely volunteer! One of the big lessons out of VA was about coattails and the inverse. Even if Joe's uninspiring (which I get!), there are probably GoodDemsTM on the ballot who'd benefit from your efforts. And what may seem like a lost cause may be attainable with downballot passion.

e: Left the window open! In light of the above, anything is good! Volunteering for house and local candidates can be really effective too and VA appears to show it can have a bit of a reverse coattails (lapel? grassroots?) effect as well, if the people you're getting out for Inspiring House Candidate and Progressive Dog Catcher fill out the top of their ballots.

House stuff: I'm voting in IN-02, and we've got a pretty interesting selection of D challengers to the now obviously lovely R candidate (Walorski): a nominally catholic (Notre Dame and Saint Mary's ties) white lesbian lawyer/professor (Pat Hackett), an Indian local business owner (Yatish Joshi), and of course a white male former health care exec (Mel Hall). Identifiers are strictly for the consumption of this thread, but at this point I feel like Hackett is the candidate to back due to a well constructed message that aligns perfectly with South Bend's extremely popular mayor Pete Buttigieg (of potential DNC chair fame). Elite cred doesn't count for a lot in a lot of midwestern communities, but ND ties do in South Bend, so I feel like she's got a solid shot. Her campaign headquarters opening is in a few weeks and I intend to go to the open house party - I'll report back with thoughts in case anyone cares.
:justpost:, because content is good and keeps the eternal slapfight at bay. But mostly because I love local perspectives.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 4, 2018

• Locked thread