Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jeff Triplette and crew are bad officials, you say?

Is it just me or did Mariota look like to anyone else he was past the LOS when he threw that TD to himself? The LOS was the six and it looked like he let go of the ball in the air in between the 5 and 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grittybeard posted:

This isn't really on Triplette directly but from a procedural standpoint there was a replacement ref level fuckup. There was one time the Titans were forced to use a challenge because the linesman forgot to spot the ball.

I mean he just flat didn't spot the ball thinking a penalty was going to wipe the play out, then once they picked up the flag they took a wild guess and spotted the ball a full two yards short of any point where the runner looked even close to down.

Yeah refs were really bad. I think the mariota sack/fumble that got ruled as forward progress had the biggest impact on the game, but it was bad in general.

iospace posted:

It's not his regular crew this game.

It may not be his regular crew, but any crew with him at the top is going to be tainted, imo.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
eagles gonna get bounced by falcons, I don't know if this was the most embarrassing outcome or not.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

We just watched a game where a QB completed a TD to himself. Eagles can win

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah refs were really bad. I think the mariota sack/fumble that got ruled as forward progress had the biggest impact on the game, but it was bad in general.

The two point conversion sack/fumble that also got ruled as forward progress while Mariota was still in the process of actually falling over would have been the (most hilarious) deciding point.

I mean, the Chiefs don't stop the Titans in the last two minutes, but a man can dream of what might have been. :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flikken posted:

Is it just me or did Mariota look like to anyone else he was past the LOS when he threw that TD to himself? The LOS was the six and it looked like he let go of the ball in the air in between the 5 and 6?

Just went and looked again but his right toe is basically on the 6 yd line when he starts to throw and he doesn't lift that foot up until the ball is already gone. IIRC as long as any part of your body is behind the LoS, you're good, and his right foot never goes past.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

The two point conversion sack/fumble that also got ruled as forward progress while Mariota was still in the process of actually falling over would have been the (most hilarious) deciding point.

At least I could see a world where an official might decide to call forward progress on that one. The Derrick Johnson one was...I don't even know what he was thinking.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

At least I could see a world where an official might decide to call forward progress on that one. The Derrick Johnson one was...I don't even know what he was thinking.

Yeah that play was completely bizarre because it looked like they just made something up. Mariota wasn't even moving when he got hit, there was no forward progress to stop, and he loses the ball as he's going down. It was fully a "well this game is looking like a blowout, who cares" call.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just went and looked again but his right toe is basically on the 6 yd line when he starts to throw and he doesn't lift that foot up until the ball is already gone. IIRC as long as any part of your body is behind the LoS, you're good, and his right foot never goes past.

Thanks for some clarity there, with the way his body stretched out making that throw it looked like he was well past it and I was wondering why that didn't get reciewed/challenged or botched about by fans.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Flikken posted:

I thought so when I saw it live, but when the refs didn't pull it back, I just assumed I was wrong. Wasn't really invested in either team, so didn't care too much.

Maybe if you're past the LOS but still in the air, it doesn't count as a penalty? If that's the case, let's start a new era of NFL football where QB's launch themselves into the air over the LOS and try to throw the pass before their feet hit the ground again.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

LabyaMynora posted:

I thought so when I saw it live, but when the refs didn't pull it back, I just assumed I was wrong. Wasn't really invested in either team, so didn't care too much.

Maybe if you're past the LOS but still in the air, it doesn't count as a penalty? If that's the case, let's start a new era of NFL football where QB's launch themselves into the air over the LOS and try to throw the pass before their feet hit the ground again.

I thought the rule was your back foot had to be behind the LOS but I could be wrong and with no dog in the fight I didn't think of it much either.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There was a Mariota fumble where he was ruled Down by Contact where the review showed that he clearly was not. The ball was recovered by the Chiefs and the player had room to run.

So you mean this one? I had forgotten or missed it. This SB Nation article references it but doesn't go into much detail. I don't get how it's 'forward progress' if he only went backwards? Yeah, I can understand the fury on that one.

...on the other hand, there is a tiny part of me that wants to say "Maybe if you wanted a turnover, how about when recover their muffed punt, do more with it than give it back to them with three free yards?"

But the important thing is that ref is slowly dissolving in a drum of barbeque sauce deep beneath Arrowhead. At least, until they need to break into the strategic reserves.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

weird Asian candy posted:

I thought the rule was your back foot had to be behind the LOS but I could be wrong and with no dog in the fight I didn't think of it much either.

Nah it's everything past the line of scrimmage "whole body" or something is the term I think? e: don't quote me on whole body, I haven't bothered to look up the rule. But basically everything has to be past the LoS for it to be illegal.

Apparently New York agrees since it was a scoring play and automatically reviewed.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
man remember when the refs almost started a riot that got themselves killed because they failed to notice Henry sitting on his rear end for like a full second before the ball came out and had to overturn a fumble they should have whistled dead

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

Nah it's everything past the line of scrimmage "whole body" or something is the term I think? e: don't quote me on whole body, I haven't bothered to look up the rule. But basically everything has to be past the LoS for it to be illegal.

Apparently New York agrees since it was a scoring play and automatically reviewed.

You may be right, I'm not sure either and I'm too lazy to google :effort:

I just remember Eli having something similar and if memory serves they literally said something about since his back foot was behind the LoS, the pass was legal. I remember it because it made no sense to me then, and doesn't now.

Oh well. Doesn't matter at this point I guess.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raku posted:

man remember when the refs almost started a riot that got themselves killed because they failed to notice Henry sitting on his rear end for like a full second before the ball came out and had to overturn a fumble they should have whistled dead

On the one hand, a fumble that gets overturned is infinitely better for the game than a fumble that gets incorrectly blown dead.

On the other hand, that was simultaneously really obvious on the replay, and the worst possible time to start being that conservative with the whistle as far as the fans were concerned.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mariota called most of the offense that game god bless my beautiful quarterback

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Metapod posted:

and andy reid took over play calling in the second half

Just get rid of coaches and let them play, I say

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

and andy reid took over play calling in the second half

I don’t actually believe this is true. This seems like something reddit chiefs fans invented to have something specific to blame.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Metapod posted:

The difference between the hurry up and standard play calling for the Titans was crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flikken posted:

Thanks for some clarity there, with the way his body stretched out making that throw it looked like he was well past it and I was wondering why that didn't get reciewed/challenged or botched about by fans.

Yeah as long as one foot is still down behind the LoS, he's fine. In this case his right foot is planted with his toes on the 6 yard line (the LoS) and that foot doesn't come up until the ball is already gone. I wish I had grabbed a screenshot earlier when I rewatched it to show you, but it's not controversial in the least.

Now, if his right foot was on the other side of the 6, then that would have been an illegal pass because the only point of contact with the ground when the ball leaves is his right toe.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lote posted:

The difference between the hurry up and standard play calling for the Titans was crazy.

THAT'S WHY I'VE BEEN YELLING ABOUT GOING NO HUDDLE ALL YEAR

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Magnetic North posted:

So you mean this one? I had forgotten or missed it. This SB Nation article references it but doesn't go into much detail. I don't get how it's 'forward progress' if he only went backwards? Yeah, I can understand the fury on that one.

This was a completely blown call. There was no forward progress to blow dead. Mariota was never "in the grasp" which is the correct terminology to use when you blow a QB dead for a sack without him going down. Triplette hosed up and this should have been Chiefs' ball.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I reckon the LOS rule is written that way so that pump fakes don't become a potential issue.

Say Mariota runs parallel to the LOS, about 1/2 yard behind it, and pump fakes to freeze the defense. Ball still in hand could be across the LOS for a moment without having been thrown. Ball can be pulled back behind LOS as QB continues to scramble. So the ball isn't an ideal method of judging if a player is eligible to forward pass.

Whole body, versus a certain portion of the body, is simpler to define and see in real time.

With the myriad of flawed rules in the books, this one is actually fine imo, albeit during the live play it can be hard to accept. Very Music City Miracle-esque.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's not a terribly complicated rule. It's similar to the OOB rules. If any part of you touches out of bounds, you're out of bounds. As long as you haven't completely crossed the LoS and any part of you is still touching the ground behind it, you're good.

The MCM was a lateral, so in a little bit different world. In that case you've got to watch the path of the ball to see if it goes forward or backwards. The MCM pass clearly went backwards about half a yard, so it's a lateral and not an illegal forward pass.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I was told the AFC South didn't deserve a playoff spot

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Metapod posted:

I was told the AFC South didn't deserve a playoff spot

I think it was more that the AFC as a whole didn’t deserve more than two.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The Bills are cool as poo poo. Great run this year.

Fire Dennison.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Playoff caliber QB Blake Bortles.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The safest position in the NFL is Quarterback in front of Nathan Peterman

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Nathan Peter Man

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The NFL is in deep trouble.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bortles 87 passing yards and 88 rushing, lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

The Bills are cool as poo poo. Great run this year.

Fire Dennison.

Dennison should go, but the dumb racist contingent at the bar I'm at is calling for Tyrod's head

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Sad about the Bills but gg Jaguars winning a playoff game. :unsmith:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

EugeneJ posted:

Dennison should go, but the dumb racist contingent at the bar I'm at is calling for Tyrod's head

He already lost his head.
Tyrod unfortunately is going to be eating through a straw the rest of his life after this game and we have a loaded draft.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/950115676253016065

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
This is why wins are an overrated stat a lot of the time. Someone won but nobody deserves credit for a win. But they'll take it. And coaches who should be fired will stay. Just like the Titans only won because Kelce got hurt but now the coach gets a "playoff win"

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Seems the key to playoff winning is to concuss effective players from the opposing team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

pasaluki posted:

He already lost his head.
Tyrod unfortunately is going to be eating through a straw the rest of his life after this game and we have a loaded draft.

I fully expect the Bills to trade the 21st and 22nd pick in the draft to move up and take a QB. I hope Tyrod goes somewhere where he's appreciated.

• Locked thread