Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we have come to our nation’s capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked “insufficient funds.” But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check — a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quick sands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God’s children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. They have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

As we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?” We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied, as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro’s basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating “For Whites Only”. We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.”

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God’s children will be able to sing with a new meaning, “My country, ‘tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim’s pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring.”

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, “Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mozi posted:

i had a weird dream about how the physical objects i had eaten (i was really full IRL) could be envisioned as transcendental emotional archetypes in a symmetric arrangement and you could do math on them (i've been watching math youtubes)

pretty sure this is how the molecular structure of benzene was discovered, this theory has promise

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Nut to Butt posted:

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we have come to our nation’s capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked “insufficient funds.” But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check — a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quick sands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God’s children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. They have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

As we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?” We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied, as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro’s basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating “For Whites Only”. We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.”

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God’s children will be able to sing with a new meaning, “My country, ‘tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim’s pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring.”

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, “Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

kapow

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
boooo
boooooooooo this post

not the kinda sniping I support

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Last night I dreamt that I had to deliver a weird package to somewhere I didn't know. After many trials I arrived at the destination, only to discover that it was a trick to try and recruit people into the police or armed forces. I lied and said I couldn't be in either since I have PTSD. Then a nearby bridge with a bunch of fighter planes was accidentally raised. All the planes crashed into each other and exploded. The recruiter lady was very nonchalant about the whole thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
had a dream I was sent back in time with some random people and various buildings and structures. We had to reinforce it with some kind of mud walls? Like mud daubing bugs but big. Someone tamed a dinosaur to help but it was kinda retarded and tended to want to wander off. I remember slaking the poo poo out of it while more people brought baskets of clay and stuff.

Anyway over time people and things kept getting warped back to their correct time until only like me and three other people were left. A huge cyclone was coming and this one dude wanted to loving try and out run it. I tried to explain how that's impossible, we had to hunker down, and also there was a chance that we might not even be in the path of the storm. You could look at the sky and half was completely black with clouds while the other half was almost painfully bright and sunny.

It didn't work, he convinced everyone else to try and run, so I demanded my share of supplies so I could have some while I braced for impact. They gave me some like.. jerkied tongues and meat hunks that I used strong thread to tie to my belt. Then I woke up.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Even your subconscious is telling you to run away from that house.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had a dream some girl was playin with that nut nut and like holy poo poo she had to find her birth aperature now. But it was like well she ain’t got to but she can. :cop:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I dream that the skies turn dark and I go outside to watch the clouds. There is some circular motion, and a goddamn tornado forms! Or sometimes it's just there when I go out. Sometimes it's joined by other tornadoes. These huge tubes from the sky moving across the fields defying all reason.

I dream that I'm outside when the skies go dark. These is some thunder before giant lightning bolts start striking all around me and I must run for cover before I get hit.

I dream that the sun goes dark, and as we look in horror up at the night sky, so does every single star, one by one, and we all realize that we are so hosed.

I dream that a giant meteor falls, or a nuclear weapon explodes, just below the horizon, and I get to watch the mushroom cloud grow beyond the atmospheric haze, as the shockwave approaches.

I dream that I'm lying in my bed when something pulls a little on my cover. I try to pull it back, but then it's pulled right off of me and I wake up. I move out, and this no longer happens, proving the bed monster was real all along.

I dream that I accidentally meet a really cool woman and we really hit it off right away, and you can just tell we're gonna be together for a while. I wonder "can this be real? I had a dream like this", but I decide it really is real. I'm wrong.

I dream that I eat a triple-A battery.

naem
May 29, 2011

Most of my dreams involve trying to find a bathroom but the laws of physics aren't quite right

I keep sitting on really big flower pots in a mall about to drop trou only wait now I'm in public? And wait that's now how gravity works

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I had a dream where I worked at some kind of research hospital and really hit it off with a hot coworker.

But then! She was actually a vampire! I remember being like "huh that makes sense she'd work here" and also being afraid every time she came close that she would bite me, or bite me when we hosed, but also aware that I wouldn't be strong enough to actually stop her from loving or biting me.

oh poo poo, is this a thing? for me These dreams always involve very tense tightrope walking where I'm trying to get laid but also not murdered.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i think in-dream memory is weird. like you’re dreaming about some situation, like that guy shoveling snow and you have a vague memory of events that led up to that in-dream that makes your current actions “make sense” even tho they’re not explicitly defined within the dreams narrative

also autonomy is super weird in dreams in relationship to lucidity— like you’re kind of carrying out narrative without much choice and this is only noticeable when you wake up and/or go lucid. especially in cases where if you go lucid you have to like, be careful about it or you’ll break the illusion and wake up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
any time I go lucid I wake up basically instantly, the second I realize i'm dreaming it's over. But I don't think i'm on rails while dreaming either. :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

I sometimes sense something's is off, but not that I'm dreaming- and try to go against the grain or not follow the like plot of the dream and it makes things go all wonky

Like waaaaait can I USUALLY levitate, just by tucking my legs up behind me? No that's, not, hey- why is the wall a ceiling? DO people WEAR crabs for pants?? What if all the ladies took their pants off haha.. WHAT IF ALL THE LADIES TOOK THEIR PANTS OFF PANTS OFF UP IS DOWN, sideways SIDEWAYS I AM AN ALL POWERFUL DEMIGORGON PANTS OFF TAKE OFF YOIR CRAB PANTS

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I wear glasses/contacts in real life and it's very frequent that I have my same nearsightedness in my dreams

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
When I was a kid I had a dream I was batman and was being chased across the rooftops by a 50-foot tall disembodied laughing Joker's head. I was 6 or 7 and had recently seen both keaton batman and ghostbusters 2. I think I was merging batman stuff with the scene at the end of ghostbusters 2 where Vigo's head floats above the river of slime in the picture frame. Then I was trapped in a burning classroom with a bunch of other people then I would wake up. I had that one a handful of times

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kazak posted:

I wear glasses/contacts in real life and it's very frequent that I have my same nearsightedness in my dreams

see with me it's almost always the reverse. I'm usually a lot fitter and younger too.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
You don't have enough personal power to hear about my dreaming body, find your hands first bitch OP

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I reserved a piece of poo poo Chevy spark rental car and instead of normal back wheels it had casters from a rolling cart or something and they kept trying to upsell me to real wheels.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I love going lucid in dreams.

Was dreaming that I was wandering around an old college's campus when I ran into an ex of mine. For whatever reason, the moment I saw her I knew I was dreaming, and so I had to make it count.

I look her square in the eyes and say, "You know you're just a character in a dream, right?"

She instantly gets very uncomfortable (more so than I normally make women) and says, "We don't talk about that."

She refuses to meet my gaze and, after that, I wake up.

Anyone else screwed with dream characters like this before? Sometimes going lucid seems to make them lose personality and become more robotic, but it's a dream so who the hell knows.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I was watching a screaming man, whose entire feet were covered in ingrown toenails, trying to walk.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I've dreamt plenty of horrifying real-life scenarios and when I awake I comfort myself by acknowledging that my dreams have never come true

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just took a 2 hour nap.

The dream was two separate parts and I only vaguely remember the first but the second is still vivid.

It was still snowy and overcast outside (setting basically a week ago). I was sitting on my porch (no particular clothes were being worn by me or anyone else despite being snowy, did not feel cold). Just sort of staring out. It occurred to me eventually that the red truck infront of my house was not mine, panicked for a moment but realized it was actually beside the strange similar but not my vehicle. This was part 1 that is fuzzy.

Part two is a transition to realizing that there is also a bunch of wooden garbage on the street jutting out from the house across to the street and one to my left. It was wooden pallets, 4 by 4 beams, plywood, and other generic wood material.
Over time without my noticing this pile continued to grow, and eventually it also began to grow from my behind right, so either the edge of my property to the one adjacent to my right. Also made out of the wood. It was starting to look like a ramp. on both sides. It just kept growing without me noticing.

I had some kind of confrontation about this weird vehicle infront of my house and all of the garbage accumulating on the street with people I don't remember. I turned to go back into my house to call the police and because I didn't want to be outside anymore. The steps into my house were suddenly very high up. It was like I had to climb 50 steps instead of 3 and ultimately the entrance to my house was almost to the clouds.

There was some kind of interlude about windows xp and bad UI decision. There was a thing in the top right of a particular UI that said "probably configured correctly". As in the dev couldn't be bothered to write in any config validation. There was also a thing about helping some faceless person I don't remember understand why windows xp was doing something on login for them. I suggested that either an rc.local or .bashrc thing was set and executing something in their path. Then I explained what both of those things to the windows xp person I was helping. Then it maybe came back to the bad window xp era UI decisions that made this hard to change and remove.
(Maybe this was part 1?, doesn't feel like it)

As I approached the top of my stairs the pile of garbage became apparent that it was infact a ramp for ATVs or bikes or something. I was being called to by a young version of my brother who I don't like telling me to try it. Then also by a little girl that I didn't know.

For some reason I ended up inside of a wooden jungle gym like area climbing around. At the beginning I had fantastic upper body strength. and could get around swinging easily. The hooks that you got around by swinging and climbing on that jutted out of the ceiling looked like this, but the middle piece was maybe 3 times longer and they were unpainted stainless steel .

I could only grab them by 2 fingers but that was enough for me to lift myself. Later on this became problematic, I could do it then with 3 fingers and be fine. Then later I couldn't do it without my full hand, but that was okay because I was grabbing it in such a way that I had a full grip. then I couldn't do that anymore and became stuck. The little girl from earlier and my other little brother laughed at me because they could do it. I'd watch that random little girl swing around in this huge cavernous wooden area just fine. Then I woke up. The instant I woke up that little girl's name became cindy crawford.

I don't know anybody named Cindy, nor anybody with the last name crawford and never have. I don't know where that came from but at the time of the dream I didn't know that, but the instant I woke that was my first thought.

naem
May 29, 2011

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I dreamt OP's roof collapsed while he shitposted here.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I dreamed I was helping Albus Dumbledore do forensic analysis on a Da Vinci painting to determine its authenticity. For some reason this involved lifting fingerprints from the painting and comparing them to Da Vinci's. No magic was involved so Dumbledore was sort of wasted here.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

big karaoke party with friends and family

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Had a dream where a wiener dog snuck into my basement, made a secret den, and had puppies.

Also keep having dreams where I work for some kind of "Commission" and they send me to solve systematic problems.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Had another horrifying dream within a dream.

It was one single dream with 3 parts. This description does not even come within 1% of explaining the existential horror, extreme vividity, total events I thought happened, intense fear, or length of time it appeared to take place over

PART ONE
The first was I was laying in bed but someone was banging at my door loudly as gently caress. Like they were hitting it with a sledge hammer, there was also an insanely loud sound of jingling keys and I couldn't get out of bed because I was paralyzed. Was laying in bed trying to wake myself up but couldn't. It was extremely difficult to move my arms, it was like I was trapped under the covers. My arms were jelly. I tried slapping myself as hard as I could to wake myself up. I tried to make myself fall out of bed. Eventually I had the great idea to basically try doggy paddling the covers off from above me while laying on my back.

PART TWO
That woke me up to being leaned over by my dad shining a flashlight in my face. He said I was flailing wildly in bed and wouldn't wake up. The total episode lasted 3 minutes accoring to him. I was a bright sunny day outside. somehow 2 years in the future. I had my backyard all landscaped out, my brothers were 2 years older. It was nice outside. was absolutely 100% beyond any certian of a doubt that it was real and that I really had woken up from that horrifying dream. I even told everyone what happened and what I felt during that dream. Felt more real than it does right now. I had full conversations. I played video games. I watched the news. I laid in a hammock. I gardened. I walked.

PART THREE
I went to bed after that full day and had the exact same initial problem of being stuck in bed with a banging at the door. But i was aware it was happening again. This time I knew it was just a dream and I had to wake myself up. I realized i was slipping and needed to grab my phone to shine it into my face to wake myself up like my dad did with the flashlight. I did the thing where I grabbed the phone but it was too late. It was just like when I smoked pot and I missed my window to avoid the hit by seconds and at that point I was stuck in a time loop. I kept reliving the same action over and over again of grabbing my phone and bringing it over top of me. The phone was like a soft piece of rubber, I could squeeze it, it was like I had only the soft rubber case in my hand and not the phone inside. Still aware it was a dream and I had to wake myself up somehow. Slapping myself, doggy paddling again since it worked last time, but it didn't this time. I kept trying so hard for so long to force myself to wake up.

PART I'M STILL AWAKE IN THIS PART. HAVE NOT GONE TO ANY FURTHER LAYERS YET.
Eventually it worked and I 'woke up' again. This time for real.

Realized my eyes were totally dry and were probably staring at the ceiling for the last long rear end time. Grabbed my phone again. It was 4:30 am. Less than 2 hours after going to bed. Not even sure I was awake for real though, it felt just like the first time I had woken up. I wouldn't believe it now if I hadn't written down what I felt at 4:30 am. I am retelling it now.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 5, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You know it's real cause the dry eyes. Try working out more? Sometimes if I have to wake up I can hold my breath until my body goes "gently caress this" and starts bolting

I think I have some kinda curse on me because I've become extremely sick right when I really need to have my poo poo together. Had a bunch of fever dreams where I had to go into the forest at night and climb across insanely dangerous deadfalls by myself like some kinda pet semitary poo poo.

Just over and over leaving whoever I was with and going with nothing but the clothes on my back. Sometimes it was cold, sometimes it was stifling.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
One time I had a dream about Katy Perry.

We were under some kind of billowing white cloth. She stripper crawled on top of me and then she said, "Is that a baby carrot in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" So I pulled the baby carrot out of my pocket and ate it.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I had a dream last night that I was wandering around with my wife at a bank looking for a place to sit down to get a mortgage. The thing is, I wasn't wearing a shirt, I was bare chested- and I felt like I should have one on while I'm sitting down getting a mortgage and signing papers at the bank, so I kept asking people passing by if I could borrow their sweater (since they had a shirt under it) or shirt (hey! you got a t-shirt under it, right? come on! hook me up!) but no one wanted to help me out, and I started getting mad. So I grabbed the bank's logo, on a flag hanging on the wall, and draped it over my shoulders. Everyone started clapping then, and apparently that's what I was supposed to do in the first place.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I used to not have dreams (or at least not remember them) until I started taking Martazipine at night to help me sleep. Since that happened I've had very vivid dreams most nights that all occur in a gigantic cyber-punk/neo-tokyo kind of city (minus the neon) complete with outlying areas and specific neighborhoods. I can close my eyes and walk those streets, and I'm sure that every time I think about it while I'm awake it helps to reinforce it so they only become more vivid. It's crazy sci-fi stuff like city-sized buildings with jet runways that hang off the 150th floor and poo poo. Like my mind has made three or four specific bars that I will go to and hang out in these dreams, it's loving wild.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
I usually dream about getting pegged without mercy or havin a belt wrapped tight around my goddam neck and/or balls

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dreamed about playing videogames. I hate those one because since it's a dream all of the game stuff is constantly changing and poo poo won't stay put

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Methanar posted:

Had another horrifying dream within a dream.

It was one single dream with 3 parts. This description does not even come within 1% of explaining the existential horror, extreme vividity, total events I thought happened, intense fear, or length of time it appeared to take place over

The first was I was laying in bed but someone was banging at my door loudly as gently caress. Like they were hitting it with a sledge hammer, there was also an insanely loud sound of jingling keys and I couldn't get out of bed because I was paralyzed. Was laying in bed trying to wake myself up but couldn't. It was extremely difficult to move my arms, it was like I was trapped under the covers. My arms were jelly. I tried slapping myself as hard as I could to wake myself up. I tried to make myself fall out of bed. Eventually I had the great idea to basically try doggy paddling the covers off from above me while laying on my back.

That woke me up to being leaned over by my dad shining a flashlight in my face. He said I was flailing wildly in bed and wouldn't wake up. The total episode lasted 3 minutes accoring to him. I was a bright sunny day outside. somehow 2 years in the future. I had my backyard all landscaped out, my brothers were 2 years older. It was nice outside. was absolutely 100% beyond any certian of a doubt that it was real and that I really had woken up from that horrifying dream. I even told everyone what happened and what I felt during that dream. Felt more real than it does right now. I had full conversations. I played video games. I watched the news. I laid in a hammock. I gardened. I walked.

I went to bed after that full day and had the exact same initial problem of being stuck in bed with a banging at the door. But i was aware it was happening again. This time I knew it was just a dream and I had to wake myself up. I realized i was slipping and needed to grab my phone to shine it into my face to wake myself up like my dad did with the flashlight. I did the thing where I grabbed the phone but it was too late. It was just like when I smoked pot and I missed my window to avoid the hit by seconds and at that point I was stuck in a time loop. I kept reliving the same action over and over again of grabbing my phone and bringing it over top of me. The phone was like a soft piece of rubber, I could squeeze it, it was like I had only the soft rubber case in my hand and not the phone inside. Still aware it was a dream and I had to wake myself up somehow. Slapping myself, doggy paddling again since it worked last time, but it didn't this time. I kept trying so hard for so long to force myself to wake up.

Eventually it worked and I 'woke up' again. This time for real.

Realized my eyes were totally dry and were probably staring at the ceiling for the last long rear end time. Grabbed my phone again. It was 4:30 am. Less than 2 hours after going to bed. Not even sure I was awake for real though, it felt just like the first time I had woken up. I wouldn't believe it now if I hadn't written down what I felt at 4:30 am. I am retelling it now.
can you annotate this with "Thus Begins Dream 1" and "Thus Ends Dream 1" and so on

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Tom Gorman posted:

I've had nothing but nightmares for the last 5-6 years, and the lovely horror movie that's out right now Truth or Dare freaked me the gently caress out.

The movie is loving awful. It's one of the worst horror movies of the last decade and a half. But it inadvertently nailed the faces of the people I've been seeing in my nightmares.

What cinematic relevance do you have

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Julius CSAR posted:

I used to not have dreams (or at least not remember them) until I started taking Martazipine at night to help me sleep. Since that happened I've had very vivid dreams most nights that all occur in a gigantic cyber-punk/neo-tokyo kind of city (minus the neon) complete with outlying areas and specific neighborhoods. I can close my eyes and walk those streets, and I'm sure that every time I think about it while I'm awake it helps to reinforce it so they only become more vivid. It's crazy sci-fi stuff like city-sized buildings with jet runways that hang off the 150th floor and poo poo. Like my mind has made three or four specific bars that I will go to and hang out in these dreams, it's loving wild.

first time i was on mitrazapine i got insomnia because my dreams were so hosed and vivid that i delayed going to bed as long as possible cause i was legit scared to sleep

but the vividness of the dreams dropped off after a month or so on it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

first time i was on mitrazapine i got insomnia because my dreams were so hosed and vivid that i delayed going to bed as long as possible cause i was legit scared to sleep

but the vividness of the dreams dropped off after a month or so on it
hear that julius? If there's anything you want to do in the cyberpunk city you better do it NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Double your dose bud, you gotta get dreaming before time runs out

• Locked thread