Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually did an all-girl run of this game. If you want to use any axes at all you have to make Amelia a General or Great Knight.

Dark Magic is actually impossible without cheating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be fair, cheating and getting dark magic on anyone is so easy that you might as well. Moulder with Glepnir is never not funny.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Oh this is going to be fun, a script re-write and a goon-suggested game re-balance all at once. It fills the gaping hole in my heart left by LordHippoman's PC implosion. (I hope you get everything sorted out quickly, LordHippoman.)

vilkacis posted:

Well, in my defence I had just woken up, but I don't know why I expected anyone to object :v:

Then, I'll look into my gameplay changes and see what I can do with them.
I do have a neat idea: since you're not going to be using Seth, why not replace him with Syrene? That way we don't have to wait around the whole game for her to join the party. You don't have to change any of the (modified) plot; Seth would still do his thing in the cutscenes, we'd just have Syrene acting as the new Lance/Sword pre-promote. She's already level 1 just like Seth, and she supports most of the cast we've got or will be using.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You should absolutely not use females only, because there's a tonne of dialog changes in the supports. So unless you intend to show them off anyway, you're missing a significant portion of changes by doing that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nihilarian posted:

I actually did an all-girl run of this game. If you want to use any axes at all you have to make Amelia a General or Great Knight.

Dark Magic is actually impossible without cheating

Are you suggesting that Eirika doesn’t get Dark Magic on promotion and that Heroes is wrong??

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Artix posted:

To be fair, cheating and getting dark magic on anyone is so easy that you might as well. Moulder with Glepnir is never not funny.
Even when I'm not doing a cheaty run-though I like making Moulder a Dark Bishop just because it feels so unique. He's got the Con and the glitch-less animation for Dark tomes, and it's not like anyone else is gonna be interested in using Glepnir since it's literally as heavy as a siege tome or a Ballista.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Camel Pimp posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Seth is good but not that good? Admittedly, I've never soloed the game with him, so maybe that'd change my mind, but I usually do take him through to endgame. While he's relevant for pretty much the whole game he's not all that good by the end; he's usually there just to be a support bot for Eirika by that point. (Also it might go without saying but you should probably not a-rank Eirika with a man in this run. Not in the spirit of the hack.) I do think he is the best Jeigen-type character in the series, I pretty much never take Jeigens to endgame (not even Titania, sorry) but he does tend to have speed issues later down the line.

I think you're not alone in thinking Seth isn't that good, but you're wrong regardless.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god, Baguette. Now we're in vilk LP territory.

Also Eirika seems to be goddamn determined to disappoint this run. That Queen sure isn't getting Restored.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Seth is good but not that good?

Well, he's not as good as say Ephraim raised to 20/20, but he is literally "that good".

Thing is, when you solo, he hits level 20 like, midway through. So his stats are higher than they would normally be by endgame. And they are definitely enough to take on the endgame, though he does slow down a little by the very end.

The only map that's really hard to solo is the gorgon egg one, because stone means game over when you're alone. A couple of others are hard to really solo because the party is split up so other characters may have to fight a bit in order to not die. But Seth pretty much clowns Ephraim hard mode.

Camel Pimp posted:

Natasha's just as good! Just a few changes and you won't even miss him

You know what, make a full sheet for her and I will do that.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Speaking of this, since it sounds like the hack probably didn't add any new supports, here's all the existing female/female supports for potential gayness:

The mod actually changes both supports and endings around, not just for women. They had to remove some paired endings because they couldn't figure out how to add new ones - there's still the same amount, but several contain new characters.

I'll get more into it once we get some people to actually support.

Saladin Rising posted:

I do have a neat idea: since you're not going to be using Seth, why not replace him with Syrene?

Eh, Seth is never seeing action anyway.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That Queen sure isn't getting Restored.

No, but she is getting rebooted! I need to replay the first couple of chapters to get my changes to take effect. Maybe it'll go better even worse this time! :shepicide:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

No, but she is getting rebooted! I need to replay the first couple of chapters to get my changes to take effect. Maybe it'll go better even worse this time! :shepicide:
And thus is the cruel beauty of the RNG. Some days, you get Sydin's God Rutger. On other days, you get Artix's HHM Guy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't wait for vilkacis to get so annoyed by Eirika not gaining Strength that her promotion gains become nothing but +20 STR. :allears:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
mod Eirika's strength growth to 100%, you know you want to.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Speaking of this, since it sounds like the hack probably didn't add any new supports, here's all the existing female/female supports for potential gayness:

Eirika/Larachel
Eirika/Tana

It's too bad each unit can only have 5 support ranks.

Eirika has two hands. Let her have two girlfriends

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

vilkacis posted:

You know what, make a full sheet for her and I will do that.

Needs work but it'll function

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

mod Eirika's strength growth to 100%, you know you want to.

I don't, absolute certainty is boring. I don't think (non-hp) growths should really be higher than say... 60ish.

AweStriker posted:

Eirika has two hands. Let her have two girlfriends

She needs to use one to hold her sword. One girlfriend will do.

Camel Pimp posted:

Needs work but it'll function

IT IS DONE.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Just give Eirika Ephraims stats and vice versa.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Just give Eirika Ephraims stats and vice versa.

Ephraim would still be better. Lances man. Helluva drug.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Onmi posted:

Ephraim would still be better. Lances man. Helluva drug.

Also his bases are like twice as good.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Feeling some physical pain Eirika levels but :xcom:.

Or that's Fire Emblem, I guess. She does tend to be like, the most variable Lord for me. I've had her outshine her brother on some runs and on others she's Worse Lyn forever. I can't think of any other Lord character who tends to be that high/low roll based (except maybe Lyn), but I guess that's sort of the nature of being so similar to Myrmidons.

Saladin Rising posted:

(I hope you get everything sorted out quickly, LordHippoman.)

Thanks!

I can't believe I don't even care about Moulder anymore.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wasn’t there already a hack like this called Fire Emblem Girls?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Wasn’t there already a hack like this called Fire Emblem Girls?

There is, it was lp'd and it was pretty bad. However instead of poorly done character inserts, this rewrites a lot of text to make the females the centre of the story and probably a lot more gay. I'm fully expecting tumblr in fire emblem

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Also, isn't it in Japanese?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

vilkacis posted:

She needs to use one to hold her sword. One girlfriend will do.

She won't need that sword forever.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Also, isn't it in Japanese?

I think FE Girls is in Chinese, actually. And it's a strange rear end hack.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Do you like one of your units getting murdered by enemies that move and attack on the same turn the pop into existence? Are you tired of seeing 100% hit chances, or hitting every time on a 99% hit rate? Do you enjoy tile hunting with no signposting for entirely-not-worth-the-hassle rewards? FEGirls is the game for you!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Question: Is this hack's script "feminist" (all the female characters are entirely better than the men) or actually feminist (the men and women are roughly equal)?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Also his bases are like twice as good.

I was curious, so I did the math on level 1 Ephraim.

If you round normally, he gets +5 hp, +2 str, -1 skl, +1 spd, +2 luk, +3 def compared to starting Eirika. If you round everything down, it's still +4 hp, +2 str, -1 skl, +1 luk, +2 def. It's absolutely crazy how good Ephraim is.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

vilkacis posted:

I was curious, so I did the math on level 1 Ephraim.

If you round normally, he gets +5 hp, +2 str, -1 skl, +1 spd, +2 luk, +3 def compared to starting Eirika. If you round everything down, it's still +4 hp, +2 str, -1 skl, +1 luk, +2 def. It's absolutely crazy how good Ephraim is.

Mind you that Eirika has 5 maps of experience before Ephraim even shows up, and then several more before he joins. Eirilka will have him beat in several categories.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

3. I am not good at romhacking

The thread voted for me to include the gameplay fiddling I had been working on, so here we go! Of course, I'll be taking feedback on the changes, and suggestions for other stuff to fiddle with.

As you probably remember, I've already played the first two maps for the thread, but I'll need to run through them again to get everything in order. Let me briefly show what's different.

First and foremost: Eirika. She has +1 str and def, because honestly, she's just worse than Ephraim, and while that makes sense story and character wise, it's no fun. At the same time, I don't want to make her too good - both because that's not fun either, but also because I don't want some super busted unit to be the first thing you see when you play the game.

She also has 7 con now, which is the same as myrms get. My initial philosophy was "no unit should be weighed down by their iron-equivalent weapon"; iron swords have 5 weight, so she actually wasn't weighed down to start with - but steel ones weigh 10 and losing five whole points of speed to use one seems a bit overkill. I feel like sword users get screwed hard enough compared to everyone else, without regular access to 1-2 range...

Seth is a lot worse than he was. He's still good, mind! But perhaps this way you can use him more as a Jeigan than a "gently caress this guy and everything in his vague vicinity" nuke button.

...I actually boosted his growths, though, because I don't want anyone to feel like they can't use him thoughout the game if they want to. He'll catch up to his old self if you feed him! (I'm excusing this as him recovering from his fight with Valter.)

Well then, on to the first map,

and this is where you park Eirika so she's not at risk of getting hit by two axes and dying in the goddamn prologue.

And she did get hit by the first...

...as well as the second one on the next turn, so maybe I was on to something! Vulneraries, man.

Then she killed the boss. She got a really good level this time!

I have not changed her growths.

Second map! This one's a little more involved.

One thing I did was add a little bit of base stats to the soldier class. It's only a couple of points across the board, but at least they don't come in with zeroes in major stats.

There's some variation. I also upped enemy growths by a little bit, like 10%. I don't believe I touched HP growths, though. Bullet sponges aren't fun to fight. Especially when you don't even get bullets.

Second verse, much the same as the first,

...I'm nowhere near as salty about this as I'd have been if she got the same level on the prologue map as she did in the first run.

Franz...

...and Gilliam spawn in as usual. Armours having 5 move is one of the few things I did change in the "vanilla" RQ run; it's basically default for me at this point. 4 move is so bad.

Apart from that, I don't remember exactly how I changed the class bases, but generally speaking, they're averaged between the original male and female variants, and rounded up or down as seemed appropriate for the class. Apparently that means Franz is up one skill and down one speed. It seems a bit weird, you'd think it would mean male classes lose str/def and gain speed/skill, but... I'm sure it's not a sign of a catastrophic rom meltdown further down the line!

That strength point she got means Eirika onerounds this guy without crits! A strength blessed myrmlord is a beautiful sight.

Also, I gave her the steel sword, because she can use that now.

And it only drops her three points of speed instead of five.

Franz can no longer double and erase this soldier at base, but he can still take him out if Gilliam softens him up first.

The soldiers being stronger means everything plays out a little differently from last time. Franz can't just clean up by himself without ever being in danger, so Gil needs to help out with the others, too.

More fighting does mean we get a bit more exp, as well. Nice first level for Franz!

I don't want you near my experience points.

Eirika does really well on the fort.

...it's speed, at least...

And-

...so's this. If he alternates between this and the last one, he'll be pretty good.

She has a 65% hit rate, but Eirika nails both of them on the first round this time. And with that, we're caught up!

On to shiny new things. We have our next destination, Ide, on the map - but before we head over there, let's take a look at those people who joined us at the end of the last chapter. First, we have...

A sincere, honest, and honorable pegasus knight of Frelia.

-Vanessa. Poor Vanessa. She's a peg knight, she's level 1, she's up against 80% axe users for her two first maps, and both of them even have an archer to really ruin her day!

As said, I wanted no one to be weighed down by iron (or equivalent) weapons, so pegs have 8 base con now. Vanessa also got back a point of speed she lost in translation for some unknown reason, and for some other but equally unknown reason three points of res? I'm not sure what I was thinking - probably raised the peg knight base res in an attempt to balance them more against wyverns. I do believe wyverns are slightly worse now than they used to be - I don't like them just straight up being pegasi, but better.

I also gave her something fun to play with. Nothing too special, just one point stronger than an iron lance, but definitely more fun than the slim lance she gets in vanilla. (It's locked to peg knights, because.)

Oh, and since women actually have con now, they also use the male mounted aid formula (so 25-con instead of 20-con).

Next up, we have...

A mature priest of Frelia. He's gentle and reassuring.

...Moulder, the Boulder, somewhat more and less boulder than he used to be. The priest/cleric base reshuffling has cost him a point of hp, but he gained a point of skill and res in exchange. Probably worth it! I also buffed his def by a couple of points, just for show, because he's the boulder. I don't expect that to actually make any difference, just... Boulder.

Then, I reshuffle the inventory. You know, in retrospect, I should just make it so one of Franz's vulneraries goes to Gilliam and give them both javelins when they join. It wouldn't even make the map (or the next) any easier, just... you have to re-shuffle the inventory somewhere in the this map/world map/next map period every time you play. ... I'd probably drop the money you get from Hayden by like 1k to make up for the extra javelins (and wing spear) so as to not just buff the player, but it'd make this less fiddly. And I'm all for less fiddly.

Well then, let's play the chapter.

The group's first stop is the remote village of Ide, which was, until very recently, a part of Renais.

I thought she had already seen that! Was I hallucinating the last chapter?

Don't tell me, I prefer it this way.

Oh and chapter title screen or something I guess who really cares

We'll travel south of Renais and pass through Serafew into Grado territory.

Hmm... That would seem a sensible plan. Assuming, of course, that we can avoid any run-ins with Grado soldiers...

Princess Eirika, may I have your leave to scout ahead? From the sky, I'll have a better chance of spotting any nearby troops.

We're yours to command, Your Highness. Will you give your permission?

Yes, of course.

And because we can't have a game without it...

No one. Has ever. Told a pegasus knight to look out for arrows before.

E v e r.

I shall prove myself worthy of the honor of your trust.

The most sarcastic grovelling this side of 1999.

Eirika is less than impressed.

Sincere... Yes, quite.

This is polite priest for "stick up her butt so deep her breath smells like pine" but we'll let it go.

Moulder might benchpress us if we don't.

Well, no archers in sight-

-spoke too soon, drat it all.

With all those soldiers preoccupied, we're free to pillage as we please! Right, Bone - you're in charge. Grab everything that's not nailed down and bring it to the hideout.

I'm on it.

Bazba fucks off, because we need him to be the boss of the next chapter. And he couldn't do that if they allowed me to butcher him on this map.

Meanwhile, in the village...

Hmmm... I'm getting you out of here, Ross. You stay close to me!

Good plan.

Cut down anyone fool enough to get in your way. I'm heading west around the mountains to the other villages.

Spoiler, he'll never get there, because for some reason he goes and parks his butt on a peak tile he can barely move off.

Anyway, one of the brigands wrecks the village. That's a thing brigands can do.

The characters with names and faces made it out, though.

Ross? What is it? What's wrong?

It's nothing! It's just a scratch! You're a warrior, Dad, and I am your son. I won't be beaten so easily.

Don't risk yourself so foolishly... We need to get you some help.
Please! Someone help my son!

Geez, I heard you the first time!

I must report back to Princess Eirika at once.

Meanwhile, the rest of our party catches up to Vanessa.

The village to the east is under attack by bandits.

Bandits?!

We must move as quickly and attract as little attention as possible, but...

But I cannot stand by and watch innocents be harmed. Vanessa, how fare the villagers?

I spotted one injured person. He appeared to be just a child.

Father Moulder, can your staff help him?

Well, yes, I can heal his injuries with my staff, but... I cannot do it from here. He's too far away. I must be near him.

"Unless you picked up a Physic somewhere on your way. ...Please tell me you picked up a... ah, I see from your expression that you did not. I shall hide my disappointment."

"My bitter, bitter disappointment."

Princess, please leave this to me. I shall bring the boy here.

Very well. I'm off.

And so she is!

But not before we take a look at Ross. Ah, Ross... Ross, Ross.

A young villager. He longs to be a warrior, like his father.

I've given him two levels so he's maybe a little more likely to be promoted before chapter 6 rolls around without you feeding him entire maps, because if he doesn't have actual stats (and 5 mov) by the time fog of war rolls around, he can get hosed. They're pretty good levels, with skill and speed averages rounded up, so he's a little less awful than he used to be! ...just, still awful.

(I don't want to make him too good, that'd defeat the point.)

A villager from Renais. He was once a feared military leader.

Garcia is unchanged, I think. He doesn't get much respect, but I think he's better than a lot of people give him credit for. My last SS run was actually a Garcia solo, just to see if he could. And he could! Pretty handily, at that. He was even speed screwed! It was on normal, though.

And since we're doing stats already, here's Bone, the boss of the level. He's just a brigand, same as the rest; even his palette is basically the same, a little darker greys and oranges than the mooks. He's not a problem. He's also not a defeat condition - you have to kill everything on this map.

Now, I had to replay this part as well, so excuse the lack of full battle screens; I'll get back to those next map. For now, this is very much routine: you need to rescue Ross straight away, because as you saw, he's at 5 HP and gets one-shot. So if you want to recruit him (and/or Garcia), Vanessa always has to make pretty much this exact move.

Now, I could theoretically grab and drop him right away with Moulder, but he's not in range for Eirika to talk to and recruit, so he'd just run around doing dumb green unit things. It's better to keep him safely rescued until the next round. Moulder hit up the rightmost village instead.

He was dressed like a mercenary, but he had an air of elegance about him... He gave me this elixir. I'm sure it will help you on the battlefield.

And she does indeed give us an Elixir, or more precisely three of them. They... will sit in my inventory for like 15 maps before I remember to use them, probably.

Eirika hit up the one on the left.

If we can't find some way to protect ourselves, the village is doomed.

Just... close the gate. You know that makes you invincible, right? Close. The. Gate.

Perhaps...

Hurry, before the bandits arrive!

Yes, like that! See, she knows what's up, and she's never even seen a village before!

Who are you? You aren't from one of the neighbouring towns, are you. And your weapons give you away... You're no peasant.

Your weapons, and your jewellery, and your everything, honestly, maybe put on something less flashy?

..."Contractually obligated"? ... Fiiine.

I am Er...
My name is Erina. I'm a mercenary.

Smooth.

A mercenary named Erina, is it? There's more to you than that, I feel.

"You're not very good at this, are you."

But don't worry - it's none of my affair.
I haven't told you who I am yet, have I? I am Selena, a general in Grado's army.

Ah!

Is something wrong?

No... uh, nothing.

It looks like these villagers have some bandit troubles. I would like to help, but I have orders... I'm to leave for the capital immediately, and I cannot stay. You're armed, and you claim to be a mercenary. Will you help them?

Um...

Is there a problem?

No! Of course I'll help them! It's just... You're one of Grado's generals... Why...

These aren't soldiers. They're people. Should they suffer because their leaders fight?
I've petitioned your aid. Take this as payment.

"I recognize the perfume she was wearing... Camus no. 5 is some good poo poo."

And we get a red gem which is just more money. Except it takes an inventory slot until you sell it. I guess it feels a little more immersive that someone would carry a 2500 gold "bill" instead of like, 250000 gold cents in coin, though...

Enemy phase. The brigand attacks Garcia, since Ross isn't around any more, and they both hit each other. On his turn, Garcia takes the fort where Ross was sitting and tries to handaxe. If he hits, that's a bandit down - but he doesn't, this time.

The brigands on the mountains to the south have a movement range of 1 on there, so they aren't a problem for several rounds. For now, I have Moulder grab Ross, and set him down...

...so Eirika can recruit him.

My name's Ross. Come on! you have to help me wipe those thugs out!

All right, just... Just take a deep breath and calm down, Ross. Leave the villages to us. We'll drive off the bandits.
Seth, take the boy somewhere safe.

No! Wait! I'm going to fight, too!

But...

"Boy, have you seen your stats?"

My father is out there all alone, fighting those bandits. I've got to get back to him as quickly as possible!

"He doesn't really need help, but, you know, it'll make me feel better."

I'm the son of the great Garcia! As long as I have my axe, no bandit will ever defeat me!

:cawg:

All right, I can see you're not going to be swayed... But you must promise you will stay close to us.

Well, it's no longer up to him because Ross is blue now. I say where he goes.

Next, Vanessa flies over and grabs Garcia and flies back over the mountains again, Franz takes and drops him,

...and then Ross can talk to him and paint him blue.

I mean we don't actually need to do this, Garcia will join at the end of the chapter if you've recruited Ross and it's not as if he's in any danger, but he doesn't gain exp as a green unit and any kills he gets are wasted, so we may as well make that not an issue.

Ross?! Boy, what did I tell you!? What are you doing here? Don't worry about me. Hurry up and get yourself to safety!

Did you really think I could just run away while you fight, Dad? You taught me that fighters fight for what's important to them! There's no way I'm leaving! I'm fighting just like you!

Ross...

"Have you seen-"

"Yes dad I have seen my stats."

"...I was just checking."

All right, listen to me. We'll cut our way out of here together!

With that taken care of, I put Franz on the armoury; it gives a dodge boost, and together with wta, he dodges the bandit he pulls in and hits in return.

Next turn, these assholes show up! ...They're also stuck at 1-move terrain for a round, so you get ample time to prepare.

My first run through, Ross was incredibly unlucky with his hits. He actually lands his 80+% throw this time! I didn't gif it, so have one of him missing instead.

(What? I'm an environmentally conscious lper, I don't want to let it go to waste.)

Franz takes the fort,

...Vanessa goes for the village,

...and Garcia kills the bandit Franz wounded and takes his vulnerary.

I had Moulder heal Ross. The standard priest sprite is pretty scrawny, so I ended up making a bigger, buff-er version for him at some point...

I don't lose anything by doing this, but of course he misses.

Franz on this fort can basically solo this map at base, even on this difficulty. WTA is fun!

As long as you're not a brigand on the other side of it. Then it's just sad.

Ross lands a 43%!

Eirika can't double with the steel sword, and I'm not in position to give her an iron one... gently caress it, let's just waste some more rapier uses.

It was not worth it :negative:

Oh, and some clever people managed to get the "press select for danger zone" feature from the later games into GBAFE, so I turned that on! Look at this poo poo.

What? B-bandits?! Spread the word, everyone! Close the village gates!
Thank you for your warning. Please, accept this small token.

Vanessa hits the third village and gets a Pure Water for her troubles. It's... probably actually worth it, it definitely has uses, but I'm bad at Fire Emblem and generally just sell them once my convoy starts filling up.

Nothing much of importance happens after that. Garcia gets shot and eats one of the vulneraries he picked up.

Ross whiffs.

Gilliam wins a coin flip.

Ross nearly gets bisected,

Bone attacks Garcia, who also gets shot again...

And Ross kills a man.

He... doesn't get much for it.

Guys, I'm starting to think Ross might be a bad unit. :(

Franz and Garcia take out Bone,

...and Garcia shows his son how it's done.

Yikes!

Someone got lucky with his speed growths. I'll just... not have Gil take two hits at wtd.

Garcia ends up killing the brigand, leaving only the archer. Franz softens him up,

...and Vanessa gets a kill! :toot:

And it's a wrap.

It's not necessary...

...Hold on a moment...
Aren't you... the great Garcia? You fought for Renais, didn't you?

Seth, do you know this man?

He was a troop commander for Renais until around ten years ago. When I was a recruit, the soldiers used to tell so many tales about him. They called him a daring and fearless fighter for Renais.
Master Garcia, you must know the peril our homeland faces right now... Can we impose upon you to lend your strength to Renais once again?

...I'm sorry. I'm retired now. I'm not a soldier anymore. It's... a decision I made long ago.

Master Garcia...

...When I was a soldier, I lived my life fighting for my country's honor. I left no time for my family. I spent my life fighting for faceless, uncaring nobles. When my wife fell ill and dies, I met the child she had left behind... At that moment, I finally realized what my duty had cost me.

I stood at my wife's grave and promised her I would be a father to our son. I'm done with armies. I'm done with fighting, except to protect my son. I've no regrets. I'm the boy's father.

Father, what's all this nonsense I'm hearing?

Ross!

If you're not going, then I will! I'm a fighter! I know I can do this!

:cawg:

Dad, please! Listen to me! I respect you more than any other man in the world. I know you gave up being a soldier for me. I know that! But how can you throw away such a big part of yourself? You're a warrior at heart! You can't give that up and be happy!

Those... are the words of a boy who has played too many violent video games growing up.

Look at me, Dad! Have you seen me fight? I'm not a child anymore. I'm a warrior, like you. You're free to worry, but I can survive on my own!

"Boy, I have seen dead men with more hp than you."

...Ross.

You want to challenge me, Father? I'm a fighter! The best in all of Ide! I'm not gonna lose to you! I'm not gonna lose to anyone!

:roflolmao: stop, stop, stooop, I can't take this any more...!

wait what

well at least we get Garcia out of it and Garcia is rad.

Looks like my boy grew up while I wasn't looking... He's tougher than I thought. He doesn't need my help. I've raised him as best I could, but he he's right. I've nothing to fear. I should fight. I will fight.

Dad!

Oh my why.

We would if we could, but we have much to do and far to travel. Your safety is reward enough.

Ah, well...
My, that is a splendid bracelet you're wearing.

Thank you. My father gave this to me.

It's a wonderful gift. But you should be careful, wearing such a valuable item so openly. Since Renais was invaded, things have become so dangerous around here. There are gold-hungry thieves and bandits everywhere. The most wicked are Bazba's Bandits. They are... cruel beyond words. If you have something they want, your life is worth less than nothing. Just the other day they assaulted some travelers and... Oh, it was awful.

I... I can't believe such things...

Oh, Renais is finished, mark my words. The Grado Empire's stolen our future. Our only hope against them was that Prince Ephraim would prevail, but...

What am I, chopped liver? :mad:

Rumor has it that he's on the verge of being crushed by Grado's vast numbers.
These are dark days. Travel with care.

Flash(back)! Aaah!

Not the sepia! Not the sepiaaa!

Yes, Ephraim. Let's begin.

Tell me, though: why do you want me to teach you to fight? I thought you didn't care for violence.

I think one can solve one's problems without fighting. And yet...

And yet what?

I've always relied on you to protect me, Brother. I would rather not be such a burden to you in the future. So, I thought maybe I should learn to protect myself...

I'm your brother. Brothers are supposed to protect their sisters. It's nothing for you to worry about. It's no cause for concern.

Yes, but... I am your sister. Sisters are supposed to worry about their brothers. So I would like to learn something of swordplay, if only a little. And maybe, someday, I can protect you in your time of need... So please, Ephraim.

All right, all right. How could I say no? Honestly, once you get an idea into your head, that's it. I might as well give in. It's agreed. I'll teach you, but won't hold back because you're my sister. And I want no complaining once we've started, Eirika.

And we're back to the present.

Suddenly,

playable character outta loving nowhere!

Exit, stage right!

Y-yes... Someone bumped into me is all. I was jarred.

"And robbed. ... Wait, poo poo."

...you know come to think of it, it'd be a shame if Eirika had gained more speed and was too fast for Colm to steal from! Then we'd have missed out on a whole map and two party members :saddowns:

Hm? Your Highness, where is your bracelet?

My bracelet? It's... gone. Where could it be? Did that man-

We must find him!

Don't worry about it, Seth. That bracelet was a gift from my father, but Ephraim needs our help. I can't let sentimentality get in the way of my duty.

Your Highness, this goes beyond sentimentality... We must retrieve your bracelet regardless of cost. You cannot lose it. Let's go. We must hurry.

And without as much as a "Wait, what?" we're thrown into the save screen. How curious! I sure wonder if this bracelet they've so subtly hinted is a big deal might actually be a big deal!! What do you think, guys, let me know in the comments and don't forget to like and subscriiiiiiI have the feeling I already made that joke.

Poo.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

Mind you that Eirika has 5 maps of experience before Ephraim even shows up, and then several more before he joins. Eirilka will have him beat in several categories.

Wellll I guess. But Ephraim can get a lot of good exp on 5x and won't have any trouble catching up. It's not like feeding Ross or anything, Ephraim's more than good enough to hold his own when he shows up, so getting him kills is easy.

Plus his prf is is basically to Eirika's what his stats are to Eirika's, and he gets 1-2. It's pretty unfair.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Dance Officer posted:

Except that Eirika is so bad that she'll always struggle to get kills and exp.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On average vanilla Ephraim is plain better. And his higher con and lances having higher Mt means hes just a more effective unit, the only bad thing about him is a pretty low promoted speed cap, which he will cap effortlessly.
Eirika will cap her skill and speed with some consistency but her base str and def are so pitiful that she needs every point she gets.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Except that Eirika is so bad that she'll always struggle to get kills and exp.

Not really? Don't get me wrong she needs someone to soften things up a bit for her to kill them, but she doubles reliably and rapier is a good weapon. 2x11 attack is respectable when almost nothing has more than 25hp and 4def.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Vilkacis romhack LP.

Yeah, I'm here for this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dance Officer posted:

she needs someone to soften things up a bit for her to kill them

Which makes her objectively worse than over half the cast in sacred stones. It also hurts her that her promotion is pretty lackluster and doesn't offer anything in return for being stuck with only swords.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well, she does get a horse. Which doesn't help in the comparison against Ephraim but isn't nothing

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It offers a horsey

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I guess more defence would mean you could be bolder with Moulder.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Eirika is not the worst Lord in all of Fire Emblem, but comparing her to Ephraim is like comparing Ike to Sothe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

Question: Is this hack's script "feminist" (all the female characters are entirely better than the men) or actually feminist (the men and women are roughly equal)?

:goonsay: