Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was surprised that miles' dad died when it was his mom that did in ultimate spider-man. also the scene I'd been looking forward to since jefferson davis was name dropped had a weird bug where miles' audio/subtitles didn't load https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8fFERoIrk&t=43s

RareAcumen posted:

And just like with the Arkham series, I can't help but wish they'd put half this much effort into their other stable of characters. Everyone knows the Batman and Spider-Man origin story right? Well, what about Damian Wayne? SpiderWoman? Spider-Gwen? There's options available to maybe make people interested in the extended assortment of heroes around here!

a spider-gwen game would be really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm starting to want to catch up on Spider-Man comics, didn't read the One More Day nonsense but Superior sounds compelling and seems to get talked up a lot. Also don't know about Miles integration into the main continuity or how the various other Spider-characters have come to be. Are Spider-Gwen and Silk the same character? And I gather Kaine is back and using the Scarlet Spider alias?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm starting to want to catch up on Spider-Man comics, didn't read the One More Day nonsense but Superior sounds compelling and seems to get talked up a lot. Also don't know about Miles integration into the main continuity or how the various other Spider-characters have come to be. Are Spider-Gwen and Silk the same character? And I gather Kaine is back and using the Scarlet Spider alias?

Spider-Gwen is Gwen Stacy of Earth-65, who was bitten by the spider instead of Peter. She pops up during the Spiderverse arc.

Silk is a different character, and originates in the main comics universe. I've been told she gets better, but I wasn't real fond of the character at the time she was introduced.

I... think? Miles makes it to the main continuity post-Secret Wars, when a bunch of old Marvel universes (including the Ultimate one) are destroyed.

Kaine is back and calling himself the Scarlet Spider, but Ben Reilly is also back and I think also calling himself the Scarlet Spider. Comics.

small edit: I personally enjoyed Superior Spider-man a lot, but be warned the ending is kind of lame. Also check out Superior Foes of Spider-man, because it's amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

spider-gwen's the gwen stacey from another universe while silk's her own character

miles was brought over from the ultimate universe as a result of the secret war event a few years back. if you're curious about him, he has his own book simply titled spider-man

read spider-man and the x-men

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

More speculation for the future: Otto's body is failing, he knows Peter is Spider-Man but apparently isn't going to tell anyone. Seems like seeds might be getting sown for Superior Spider-Man.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Shoutouts to Norman Osborn for deciding that the best reaction to being dangled over the side of a building by a crazed madman who hates him was to launch into a speech about how the madman in question is a total failure. Dude has brass balls.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I always saw Otto's implant as similar to the Goblin formula in the comics, it didn't make him evil, but it did remove his inhibitions to reveal what was already there, if that makes any sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Spider-Gwen is Gwen Stacy of Earth-65, who was bitten by the spider instead of Peter. She pops up during the Spiderverse arc.

Silk is a different character, and originates in the main comics universe. I've been told she gets better, but I wasn't real fond of the character at the time she was introduced.

It's important at this point to note that there was a big crossover book a few years ago named Spider-Verse, which was all about alternate versions of Spidey, and included stuff like the old "Amazing Friends" cartoon and the 1970s Japanese TV show. The universe with Gwen Stacy as Spider-Woman came out of that event, but she has a truly killer design, and it got people interested enough in her that she stuck around for a while afterward.

If you're interested in Silk, grab her solo series and forget about her original appearances in Spidey's book. It's one of those things like Deadpool where her original creator botched the job, but the guy who came along later spun it into something better. There are two volumes of Silk that got interrupted by the line-wide relaunch in 2015 and which are telling the same story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I really like about this game is that Peter doesn't totally flip out when it's revealed that Martin Li/Octavius went evil. Normally I'd expect a bunch of "No! This can't be!!!", but he seems to deal with it pretty maturely (which makes sense, given this is a very experience Spider-Man who has already dealt with stuff like the Lizard).

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats what i assumed. i like that Li was much like ock kinda of a secret rear end in a top hat. also were his powers from osborn or was that just a legit accident with his parents.

I think Li had more of an excuse since his powers directly involve him having a "negative side" that is very difficult to resist. Ock also has this excuse after the arms gently caress up his brain, though not for any decisions before that point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want there to be a sandman dlc where he came back because Pete totally opened that little vial he had in his backpack

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

I always saw Otto's implant as similar to the Goblin formula in the comics, it didn't make him evil, but it did remove his inhibitions to reveal what was already there, if that makes any sense.
he’s Walter White only his implant isn’t malignant

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just finished this and I love how they shook things up i.e. origins of Doc Ock, Norman Osborn and Harry, Aunt May. Ock was always the dark mirror of what would happen if Peter didn't use his genius for good so I really loved the parallel they drew there. Setting up Harry Osborn as a potential Venom analogue and doing away with the space alien origin is a really gutsy move but I like it. The seeds for Goblin are there but I really have no idea if Norman Osborn is going to actually be the Green Goblin; I wouldn't be surprised if we got swerved and saw Ned Leeds as Hobgoblin instead. Either way there's a lot left over with guys like Sandman, Mysterio, Smythe.

Was Kraven referenced anywhere at all? I feel like there wasn't anything mentioned about him so he could be next on the list to be a "new" retold character in this universe.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what did the Anti-Ock suit actually do? Was the Resupply ability supposed to be the counter to Ock's arms?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

RatHat posted:

So what did the Anti-Ock suit actually do? Was the Resupply ability supposed to be the counter to Ock's arms?

I sure hope not, I don't think I used gadgets in that fight at all

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it looked kicking rad is what it did

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I think it was made of the same poo poo as the arms, and would (Peter hoped, incorrectly) stand up to attacks from them

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

When Aunt May got sick, I was absolutely certain there would be a big homage to Amazing Spider-Man #33 where Spidey would have to free himself from beneath a giant pile of rubble to get the cure to her. I did not expect May to actually get killed off, but the death scene here was really well done and reminded me of her original death in ASM #400, one of my favorite Spider-Man stories.

That, of course, was undone about a year and a half later when Norman Osborn came back and revealed the Aunt May who died had been a genetically altered actress, and that he'd been holding the real May captive (with a bomb planted in her head) for god knows how long. Naturally, the real May didn't know Peter's secret identity and was in fact reacting to "that horrible Spider-Man" as if the preceding 20 years of storylines and character development had never happened. Even when I was a kid I thought this was complete bullshit, because May's death and the reveal that she knew about Peter being Spider-Man were such memorable scenes and now they were just throwing those out for no reason.

Anyway, I'm sure Insomniac will handle things better. :v:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Peter should have attached the prototype juggling arms to the anti Ock suit.

Speaking of which was thinking if Insomiac's Doc Ock should have had those extening hands instead of claws

Just straight up Goro with four webshooters

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Peter should have attached the prototype juggling arms to the anti Ock suit.

Speaking of which was thinking if Insomiac's Doc Ock should have had those extening hands instead of claws

Just straight up Goro with four webshooters

I was thinking this was going to be the new take on Ock but then he goes back to clawed arms. which btw should have been the first alarm ringing in Peter's head, seeing his mentor replace what were cyborg arms and hands for disabled people with MONSTROUS CLAWS

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was pretty fooled after the the city hall bomb that this game would pull an MGS2 and you played as Miles in the second half of the game.

But then it didnt and you stayed as Peter which was fine for me. The whole time I kept thinking if he was going to die, especially in the final confrontation with Otto.

I kind of secretly wished that Otto wouldn't have gone full villain to subvert the story a little more, but it just made too much sense to the story to have his heel turn to complete Peter's story arc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
finally finished it, wanted to be sure it'd be a 100% as soon as the credits rolled. Boy that loving end was strong. The contrasts in the 'you knew' moments, Otto's absolute insanity, the gut punch of 'let me see my nephew', what a fantastic way to wrap the story up.

Also man, so the next game's almost for sure gonna be Harry-Venom then? Miles better be the next main character because I'm pretty sure Pete can't handle any more of this bullshit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I feel like having two characters know who Spider-Man is, one after the other, kind of dampened the impact just a little bit.

I thought the whole time that the story was going to end with Peter choosing to take off the mask in front of Otto and that would bring him back from the brink a bit. I don't dislike how the game handles it, but there's some tweaks I would've liked

As it is I think it's mostly a very well-written game that has some really clunky decisions. Sable just being like well I've seen the error of my ways but these guys haven't, guess you'll have to deal with them made me laugh, as did the speed with which Peter put that suit together at the end.

Shout-out to the guy playing Electro though for having a super expressive face

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 18, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There was this whole trend in the early 2000s and in Ultimate Spider-Man where Peter is so aggressively poo poo at keeping his identity secret that a weirdly high number of people in his immediate vicinity were either on the verge of figuring it out or had known the whole time, but had decided not to let on.

Which is fair, since by 1988 or so, every single person who had ever worked at the Daily Bugle had put on a costume, been friends or lovers with someone who had, had funded illegal experiments into superhumans on at least two occasions, or knew at least one other superhero's secret identity. Betty Brant alone had a brother who got killed by a masked crime boss, a dead husband who was secretly the Hobgoblin, a subsequent boyfriend who was Agent Venom, and a lengthy period of time where she was basically Lois Lane with an Uzi.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I liked it just because of the two people to be all 'cut the poo poo Peter' his two parent figures WOULD be who would figure out the secret.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

RatHat posted:

He's really weak to electric web.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luminaflare posted:

He's really weak to electric web.

lol really? I spent the whole fight web slinging and throwing the rocks he threw at me back at him to stun him, I coulda just zapped him?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I feel like having two characters know who Spider-Man is, one after the other, kind of dampened the impact just a little bit.

I thought the whole time that the story was going to end with Peter choosing to take off the mask in front of Otto and that would bring him back from the brink a bit. I don't dislike how the game handles it, but there's some tweaks I would've liked

As it is I think it's mostly a very well-written game that has some really clunky decisions. Sable just being like well I've seen the error of my ways but these guys haven't, guess you'll have to deal with them made me laugh, as did the speed with which Peter put that suit together at the end.

Shout-out to the guy playing Electro though for having a super expressive face

I actually like that, because it meant the two contrasted with one another and showed the difference between the characters. Otto revealing he knew all along was used to hurt and betray Peter and demand Peter help him at cost to others. With May we saw the opposite, someone who quietly supposed and encouraged him and was willing to push for others to be saved instead of herself. Otto and May basically are opposite sides of the same coin.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I actually like that, because it meant the two contrasted with one another and showed the difference between the characters. Otto revealing he knew all along was used to hurt and betray Peter and demand Peter help him at cost to others. With May we saw the opposite, someone who quietly supposed and encouraged him and was willing to push for others to be saved instead of herself. Otto and May basically are opposite sides of the same coin.

No wonder they almost got married.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Makes perfect sense, I think it's their placement being one after the other that probably spoiled it a little for me.

I liked going back to Otto's lab in the post-game though, Peter wonders himself when Otto turned so it's something that's deliberately ambiguous. He wonders if it was always Otto's plan, or if it was an idea he had once that the chip made worse. I don't think you're ever supposed to know when Otto first really turns, though it maybe doesn't help that the timeframe of the game feels so compressed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I think this is my favorite version of doc Ock although his Rigby screaming took me out of the scene a few times

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Just had to go back to the lab for a Research Mission post-game and looking over all his poo poo in the grim daylight is really rough. Peter even comments how under his nose a fair amount of it was, with The Raft mapped out on a white board and the corner board being nothing but scrawlings about destroying Osborn.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calaveron posted:

I think this is my favorite version of doc Ock although his Rigby screaming took me out of the scene a few times

yeah, this.

DrVenkman posted:

I liked going back to Otto's lab in the post-game though, Peter wonders himself when Otto turned so it's something that's deliberately ambiguous. He wonders if it was always Otto's plan, or if it was an idea he had once that the chip made worse. I don't think you're ever supposed to know when Otto first really turns, though it maybe doesn't help that the timeframe of the game feels so compressed.

poo poo. you do that? i guess i will have to go back now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HebrewMagic posted:

Just had to go back to the lab for a Research Mission post-game and looking over all his poo poo in the grim daylight is really rough. Peter even comments how under his nose a fair amount of it was, with The Raft mapped out on a white board and the corner board being nothing but scrawlings about destroying Osborn.

It's great. There's the board where Otto has been trying to design his new logo and his slogan he has written up about building a word that we deserve. By the end of the game he's crossed out "we" and written "I". It's a great touch and shows his all-consuming mindset. There's also the recordings he leaves around because he knows Peter is listening so he starts berating him.

Games rarely change things post-plot, so I really appreciate all the touches that this one puts into that stuff. It isn't perfect about it by any means and some of the responses they clearly didn't bother writing post-game lines for, but I really appreciate the effort they put in.

On that note, Insomniac are really good at putting in some visual storytelling instead of having a character spell it all out. I think the script is a little clunky at times, but I like that they remember it's a visual medium.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

lol really? I spent the whole fight web slinging and throwing the rocks he threw at me back at him to stun him, I coulda just zapped him?

I kept webbing his arms up before going in on him and wailing on his face.

So, what do you guys want from a sequel? I'd love for some absurd scenario where Spider-Man gets to go full power for a fight. Baseball swinging a crane into someone and throwing shipping containers around. I don't know who he could possibly be fighting that could take or warrant that much punishment but still. Combat could use a bit more polish. Get it away from being an Arkham-like to more like just a straight up brawler like MGR where you've got combos and stuff.

Also put more characters in the game. It doesn't seem like Peter Parker's fighting style and I don't know anything about Miles Morales besides he'd like to just be called 'Spider-Man' not 'Black Spider-Man' but I want someone with web magic. I wanna make a big mallet made out of webs and smash some dude in the chest with it, have it stick to them, and explode and stick them to a wall.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I kept webbing his arms up before going in on him and wailing on his face.

So, what do you guys want from a sequel? I'd love for some absurd scenario where Spider-Man gets to go full power for a fight. Baseball swinging a crane into someone and throwing shipping containers around. I don't know who he could possibly be fighting that could take or warrant that much punishment but still. Combat could use a bit more polish. Get it away from being an Arkham-like to more like just a straight up brawler like MGR where you've got combos and stuff.

Also put more characters in the game. It doesn't seem like Peter Parker's fighting style and I don't know anything about Miles Morales besides he'd like to just be called 'Spider-Man' not 'Black Spider-Man' but I want someone with web magic. I wanna make a big mallet made out of webs and smash some dude in the chest with it, have it stick to them, and explode and stick them to a wall.

Miles has the anime power of concentrating energy on his hands to release a potent blast of stunning power which would be pretty neat to see in the sequel

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finished the game yesterday. It was just a total masterpiece and I loved all of it. I loved how they set up Doc Ock and Osborne, the Venom tease at the end was great, and I like the Miles setup. The Aunt May gutpunch at the end really caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting that at all, but it really does fit the message when you finish with Doc.

Really looking forward to the DLCs, though I wonder where they're going with the second one. The first and third seem pretty well set up for Black Cat and Silver Sable (and whatever the actual villain ends up being), but I'm not sure about what Turf Wars could center around. I hope it's something where we get to play as Miles though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My personal feeling is that Octavius was probably always a bit of a selfish shithead, and that the focus on prosthetic limbs was always because of his own condition, rather than an altruistic desire to help others.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

For the next game, Peter, age 22/23 is living completely independently, isn't that pretty unprecedented in the franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

For the next game, Peter, age 22/23 is living completely independently, isn't that pretty unprecedented in the franchise?

like most of the 80s and Spider-Man 2? He was living independently in this game as well unless he had a roommate nobody knew about?

• Locked thread