Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colin Mockery posted:

my landlord's illegally converting our living room to an additional bedroom and making us rent it out

my housemate (who i am friends with) wants to move into a more expensive room but can barely afford her current one as it is, so we're hoping to leverage that exchange into an affordable rate for the room she wants because leases are legally binding while "we don't really need to involve the city in this, do we?" is comically not

holy loving Christ gently caress this guy

jimmyjams posted:

lol a cop landlord. a dual classed capitalist

can you like dual guillotine a cop landlord. I want like two blades going blop blop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

im on the net me boys posted:

Arkansas doesn't just have terrible renter's rights laws, it has categorically the worst. Like, worst to the point that VICE actually did a good, short report on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2Pk2JZP-E

Nothing good comes out of Arkansas. The state that gave us the Clintons.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Taintrunner posted:

holy loving Christ gently caress this guy

In their defense, we “started” it by refusing to illegally rent out an unsafe/illegal (no fire escape) bedroom after the person living there moved out, so this is actually retaliation for that.

... I’m not really sure how much of a defense that is, but we did take away a source of income first.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
landlord employs a professional management company and they play pass the buck with each other such that nothing is ever fixed - landlord says have the agency deal with it, agency says they cannot without landlord permission

black mold, 2 electrical outlets spark and cause the lights to flicker, there is a mysterious roaming water leak (thankfully downstairs and not my problem), door buzzer does not work, overpriced for literally no amenities plus coin laundry on top of it to really let you know they are doing their best to skim every nickel from you they can

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
honestly it should be illegal to do a coin op laundry if you don't have in unit laundry.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this guy was my landlord for almost a year and he was as much of a scumbag as you think he would be. i'm almost certain that he went to columbia as an engineering student just so that the first google result for the name "burak firik" wouldn't be the local news story about how he got caught converting a 3-bedroom queens apartment into a 10-bedroom airbnb hostel. he did that to the building i lived in- he changed it from one-bedroom units to five-bedroom units. even in a neighborhood with notoriously awful landlords like Crown Heights, he was notorious around the area

burak kicked out one side of the building in April, followed by the other side of the building in August. luckily, i lived on the side of the building that had more time, so i found another place to live before he could come for me. the place i moved to had a lovely landlord too, but that's for another post

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Nov 28, 2018

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I am my own landlord, and I SSSSSSSSUCK

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

get that OUT of my face posted:

this guy was my landlord for almost a year and he was as much of a scumbag as you think he would be. i'm almost certain that he went to columbia as an engineering student just so that the first google result for the name "burak firik" wouldn't be the local news story about how he got caught converting a 3-bedroom queens apartment into a 10-bedroom airbnb hostel. he did that to the building i lived in- he changed it from one-bedroom units to five-bedroom units. even in a neighborhood with notoriously awful landlords like Crown Heights, he was notorious around the area

burak kicked out one side of the building in April, followed by the other side of the building in August. luckily, i lived on the side of the building that had more time, so i found another place to live before he could come for me. the place i moved to had a lovely landlord too, but that's for another post

Jesus loving Christ

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I listen to my landlord and his wife scream all sorts of swears at their four kids several hours out of the day

I feel so bad for the kids

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

im on the net me boys posted:

honestly it should be illegal to do a coin op laundry if you don't have in unit laundry.

yeah it's pretty cool and good that I pay 40% of my income to rent and then still get charged $2.50 for each load of laundry (washer + dryer) then the dryer doesn't even work right so you need to run it at least 2x.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

yeah it's pretty cool and good that I pay 40% of my income to rent and then still get charged $2.50 for each load of laundry (washer + dryer) then the dryer doesn't even work right so you need to run it at least 2x.

Ever consider line drying?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Finally got into a good place, but holy poo poo landlords in Denmark suck.

I've had guys:
- Visiting my pad on off hours to ask if we were keeping the value of the place up
- Cooperating with police so they raided our apartment
- Blaming every conceivable problem on us keeping animals, to the point we said we got rid of them and just hid them on the roof when he came around
- Asking 6-8000 DKK for one room, which is more or less asking for someone's arm and leg for less than 10 square metres.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Ever consider line drying?

Did this for a few months when my dryer broke and it sucks rear end

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As promised, here's what happened in the next place I lived in- or, at least, part of what happened. I moved out of the Crown Heights building in July 2014 into an eight-unit building in Bedstuy. Both places were within walking distance of each other. I narrowed my search terms for Richard Bennett because it's a common name, and the only thing of note that came up was a nearly 10-year-old news story about a guy running a Ponzi scheme turning himself in to the FBI.

quote:

"Right now, I think I've been scammed,"' Richard Bennett, 55, a Valley Stream real estate investor who invested $30,000 with Agape World, told Newsday.

Unlike Bernard Madoff, who is accused of bilking wealthy individuals and nonprofits, Agape World investors are more ``blue collar and they invested their life savings,'' Michael Kessley, a forensic accountant hired last year to investigate the firm, told Newsday.
Obviously, Bennett wasn't hurting for money when i lived in one of his buildings, and "real estate investor" is a euphemism for "petty slumlord." When I moved in, I was paying $700 per month in rent and giving my money to someone who wasn't the landlord. I was in a four-bedroom unit (transformed from a two-bedroom unit, so not quite as egregious as ol' Burak Firik's operation but still shady) and the other three roommates were paying $700 or $750 a month. We paid our rent to this man with no fuss. Even when a building inspector came over in October of that year and told us the building was rent-stabilized, we didn't do anything.

That all changed in December. One of the roommates was living in this unit for the second time and got into a feud with the rent collector about how he wasn't leaving his rent checks in time. Instead of taking it up with him, he left entirely, because he wasn't in the mood to deal with him again. That caused one of my roommates- a grouchy guy in his early 60s who works for the city- to request a rent history for our unit. Our combined rent was something like $3100 a month, but our rent history put the rent we should have been paying at $1725 a month. So we were all being overcharged to the tune of $1400 a month.

Later that month, the intermediary toured a young woman to fill the now-vacant fourth room in the apartment. She was hesitant to commit. The intermediary then left for a few minutes, which caused Grouchy Old Roommate to spring into action. He told her that they were running a scam in this unit and it would be best for her to leave. She did... and she ran into the intermediary on the way out. At that point, Grouchy Old Roommate mentioned to the intermediary that he knew what was going on. On the 30th, the intermediary told me, Grouchy Old Roommate, and the third roommate (a middle-aged Brooklyn Italian guy who was bitter about how South Brooklyn has been overrun by Chinese and Russians) that he was going to stop collecting our rent.

One last thing about the intermediary- one afternoon in the middle of January, he used the key to the apartment to get in and attempted to take some of the furniture in the small common area. He thought nobody would be in. I was at work. However, Grouchy Old Roommate and Middle-Aged Racist Roommate were present. According to Grouchy Old Roommate, the only thing that kept Middle-Aged Racist Roommate calm enough to not kill the intermediary was his cat, which he was vigorously petting. I was told later that in addition to being a black belt in some martial art, he owned several katanas. I'm not sure why, he never struck me as a weeb. And that was the last we saw of the intermediary.

Of course, there was a method to this madness- it allowed Bennett to start calling the shots directly, which involved attempting to evict us. But this post has gone long enough already, so I'll leave that for yet another post.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Raldikuk posted:

Minnesota is great because they require landlords to return the security deposit or an itemized bill for it within 3 weeks after the lease terminates and if they don't they have to return the deposit plus a penalty equal to 1x the deposit. If they feel there are legit damages they then need to fight in court for it.

I reckon most people don't know this because I haven't had a single landlord (including a large management company) return the deposit or itemization within 3 weeks in any place I've rented. So my thing is to send a friendly letter after that date asking for the status of the deposit and they'll usually respond with an itemization that is supposed to gently caress me out of the full deposit. I then send a response letter detailing MN state law on the matter and tell them to give me 2x deposit or see me in court. And then a week later 2x the deposit appears in my mailbox and for some reason they never try to pursue me in court for damages. I'm sure it has nothing to do with them making the damages up out of whole cloth though lmbo

MN law also governs what a security deposit can be used for and it ain't normal wear and tear. I suspect AR has terrible renter's rights laws tho

CA has similar laws, though we don't award damages if the landlord doesn't give a list (you just get the whole thing back), but my brother just moved to a new place and his old landlord tried to claim 90% of the deposit for cleaning and repairs, the number listed on the paltry check he did receive was disconnected and it didn't have an address, the super for his building had done a pre-inspection and hadn't found any issues at that time (my brother has it in writing), and he eventually tracked the landlord down to a house with a lambo parked in the garage, then when he finally managed to get a phone number to talk to him the guy threatened to take my brother to court for harassment

he is gonna take that poo poo to small claims court and get a payday from a scummy landlord hopefully, but it's been 3 months and he still doesn't have a court date so

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

speaking of california landlords: why the hell was the rent control proposition shot down? i'd be floored at how goddamn stupid that is, but i also live in a solid blue state (NY) and we're plenty dumb too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
astroturfed propaganda because landlords are idle wealth seekers who have never worked a day in their lives. homeowners can pass on the low property taxes they paid in yesteryears on to their kids. see: jeff bridges

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
California failed to pass it because there are a lot of people who fell for the line about it making rent even more expensive, as if it isn't already too drat high

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I called the office two weeks ago about fixing the 3" by 6" hole in the wall of our shower

Still got a hole

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

read this post first if you haven't already, jerks
Now, for Part 2 of my other bad landlord story.

With the intermediary out of the way, the landlord, Richard Bennett, sprung into action. We're now in 2016. On January 21st, we were given a letter telling me and my two remaining roommates to leave or face legal action. This is a common tactic in NYC: make something that looks like an eviction notice so that people get scared and leave. Looking back, it's obvious that this was a way of getting the intermediary back so that he could continue running this rent overcharge scam. It did work on Racist Middle-Aged Roommate. He said he had been in housing court before and he didn't want to go through it again. He left and moved to Bensonhurst, where I assume he gets angry every time he sees a Chinese person in what was once a neighborhood for Italians like him.

Grouchy Old Roommate and I didn't take the bait. I stayed in because the rent history we had showed that he was clearly overcharging us on a rent-stabilized apartment. We went to housing court in February. Both parties involved were taken to a room behind where the actual case would be heard. Here, Bennett stated his case: the unit that we were living in was taken off of rent stabilization in 2005 because he did construction on it. Grouchy Old Roommate responded by showing the rent history, which contradicted his case because the rent continued to rise in a matter consistent with a unit on rent stabilization. At this point, Bennett mentioned that he wanted to withdraw his case against us. I caught him when I was leaving the court building and he was pissed off. It was funny as hell.

I didn't have time to celebrate because the very next day, we got another letter threatening to sue us if we didn't leave. Neither of us bought it. Two funny things to note about the letter: it had obvious typos on it, and it was from a law firm in East Flatbush when his original firm was located in 40 Wall Street. Quite the downgrade. From here on out, Bennett stepped up his harassment game. The memory that sticks out the most to me at this time was when I was kept up one Friday night because there was a mouse skittering around my room (mice were common sights both in here and the apartment run by Burak Firik, by the way). The next morning, he came to the building from Long Island- which wasn't unusual because he came to check on this and his other properties nearly every Saturday- in a new Mercedes Benz and a faux-fur pimp jacket. The man who ran the coffee shop on the ground floor took pictures of his stylish look and Bennett had a real smug look on his face in those pictures.

The last straw involved the radiator in our apartment. Once, I got a call from him at work telling me that the radiator was leaking into the coffee shop on the ground floor. I should have called bullshit because we were on the third floor and there was another unit below us, but I left work to check. There seemed to be nothing wrong when I checked, so he cost me a work day. A few weeks later, in April, I got a call again with the same problem. This time, I didn't bother going back to check. When I got home from work, I noticed that the coffee shop had closed early. I guess there was leaking in the shop, but I knew it wasn't coming from us. Grouchy Old Roommate told me that Bennett attempted to get the fire department to knock our door down so that they could check on the radiator, but he refused them entry.

At this point, I gave up. I knew that I could come out on top if I stayed with it, but I had had enough. I moved into a temporary living situation with my parents, and then I moved into a building in a different neighborhood where I live today, free of terrible slumlords.

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. Grouchy Old Roommate still lives in that apartment to this day, which means that he won out in the end. What's more, a couple of months ago, I bumped into a woman who lived in the apartment above me when I was facing Bennett's wrath. She also still lives in that building, and she mentioned that since that incident, everyone wised up to the scam he was playing, and everyone hates him. I was happy to leave that eight-unit building in a better place than when I lived there.

Another fun fact: there is a website where you can put in any address in NYC and see any other buildings associated with that landlord or firm. Bennett owns three other buildings in Brooklyn. Two of them are three-unit buildings, which aren't covered by rent regulation laws in the city. The other building has eight units. If you look at that building, it says that all of the units there were taken off of rent stabilization a couple of years ago. He was definitely trying to pull the same trick in this building, but Grouchy Old Roommate and I didn't let him.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
The only good landlord is a dead landlord.

Related: Ask me about how the worst landlord I ever had was also the only good landlord I ever had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menachem_Stark_murder_case

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't fuckin matter if you have a good landlord, the entire institution is hosed up to begin with.

Like, to be extreme, if you consider slavery - there were nice slaveowners that didn't mistreat their slaves and more often than not the slaves had it better than free workers under those people. It doesn't matter though, because the institution was wrong at its core. It's not that the bad slaveowners outweighed the good ones or something.

The rich have stolen and buy and sell our collective inheritance - the land.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when i was a kid, i heard of landlords being used outside of the context of medieval feudalism and wondered why we have them in a modern society. i'm still looking for the answer

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

when i was a kid, i heard of landlords being used outside of the context of medieval feudalism and wondered why we have them in a modern society. i'm still looking for the answer

Landlords exist because for some reason we can't get our poo poo together and abolish private property

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

my wife is my landlord and let me tell you she loving sucks :pervert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mine (a rental company) got notices for a while threatening utility shutdowns over having a few thousand dollars in unpaid utility bills, and a couple months ago someone delivered a large packet from the city outlining how the rental company owed several million dollars in unpaid property taxes to the city and how they were threatening to seize the building and auction it off, but I haven't seen one of those packets in a while and I try not to think about it.

Also one time they told me they would be at my place between 10-11 AM to fix a light switch, but instead I got a call from the repair guy at 7 AM that day telling me that he was right outside my door, while my wife and I were still asleep.

It's been fine otherwise. Nice apartment in a good location but poo poo-rear end building management. Hoping that the housing market goes tits up in the next couple of months so we can buy on the cheap in the spring.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vlex posted:

my wife is my landlord and let me tell you she loving sucks :pervert:

We know.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Water coming out of my bathroom ceiling, no answer on their emergency number

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

2 of my smoke detectors were broken as poo poo when I moved in here. Told the landlord every other week for like 2 months and he never gave a gently caress enough to do anything. Told him im gonna replace them and send him the bill, he says alright.

Bought new ones, installed em myself and dropped off the receipt at his office w my rent check. He says he never got the receipt but he cashed my loving check.

Gonna rip these fuckers out of the celing when I move here in March.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The tiles in my bathroom wall started falling out this fall and I've called them and I still have a hole in my shower wall

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

2 of my smoke detectors were broken as poo poo when I moved in here. Told the landlord every other week for like 2 months and he never gave a gently caress enough to do anything. Told him im gonna replace them and send him the bill, he says alright.

Bought new ones, installed em myself and dropped off the receipt at his office w my rent check. He says he never got the receipt but he cashed my loving check.

Gonna rip these fuckers out of the celing when I move here in March.

One nice thing about washington is if things take long enough you can just pay someone to take care of it and deduct it from your rent.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i got my renewal notice today and i want to leave so badly but moving is so loving hard

i inherited a bunch of heavy furniture when my parents split up and it's okay stuff but ughhh

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
-Probably didn't write-in Jeb! in the last election

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I actually live in an apartment in a public stock, cooperative rental association in loving Scandinavia, and my landlords still suck. Two years ago, a young dude moved in above me, consistently starts parties with all his dumbshit friends at midnight on weekdays, has them over for retard shouting conversations about football in the morning and has spastic sealion sex with his equally screamo girlfriend, always at 4 am in the morning.

In spite of lodging complaints, talking to him (he usually drunkpromises to do something about it, then starts over again) and even writing the main office of the rental association, nothing gets done. Ah well, gonna canvas the other people in the apartment, I can't be the only one bothered.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tias posted:

So I actually live in an apartment in a public stock, cooperative rental association in loving Scandinavia, and my landlords still suck. Two years ago, a young dude moved in above me, consistently starts parties with all his dumbshit friends at midnight on weekdays, has them over for retard shouting conversations about football in the morning and has spastic sealion sex with his equally screamo girlfriend, always at 4 am in the morning.

he sounds cool

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

i say swears online posted:

i got my renewal notice today and i want to leave so badly but moving is so loving hard

i inherited a bunch of heavy furniture when my parents split up and it's okay stuff but ughhh

this is literally why I won't buy furniture until I'm absolutely fed up with not having something. I've been living a year without a dresser and I'm only just now getting one (I hang most things up)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Rented a studio for a while and the renting company decided to renovate all the water piping in the buildings as people lived in them. this required me to keep all of my earthly possessions in the center of my coffin and live with an exposed wall for over a month at the regular rate.

they would rotate buildings doing this. by the time the two bedrooms were getting torn up a lawyer resident was trying to get something together but I don’t think it went anywhere

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tias posted:

In spite of lodging complaints, talking to him (he usually drunkpromises to do something about it, then starts over again) and even writing the main office of the rental association, nothing gets done. Ah well, gonna canvas the other people in the apartment, I can't be the only one bothered.

i hope your complex kicks you out instead actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Reported a video on YouTube because it wasr a landlord complaining about a tenant without even bothering to watch it

Also half of the God damned dryers are still broken and they've had someone in to repair them more than a couple times. What's the point? poo poo makes money hand over fist you can afford some working equipment I think.
Also there's new staff coming and going very quickly these days which doesn't seem super good.