Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I've not played FFT in any form. I've got War of the Lions on my phone, but I'd been struggling with the earlygame. And despite the fact that this LP covers a total overhaul patch, I want to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FFT is kind of infamous for having a steep learning curve, yeah, though once you get through Chapter 1, you're more or less all set until a certain infamous battle at the end of Chapter 3.

Pro-tip: that battle is pretty much the reason everyone recommends that you keep at least two separate save files for wherever you are in the plot.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage
So I heard someone was playing this buggy mess of code I slapped together. Looks like it's going to be a fun ride. I think I'll tag along.

tithin posted:

Celdia's gonna be tickled pink when she finds out someone's LPing her patch here.

That's an understatement. Tickled pink and absolutely honored. Thank you, Trasson. It was always hard trying to shine in the mutually large shadows of LFT and 1.3, which accounts for a lot of the reasons I never submitted this to RHDN or similar sites.

Trasson posted:

What sort of path would you like to see Ramza travel?

What special character are you most interested to see CCP's take on?

Save the animals or kill the animals?

I'll refrain from weighing in on #1 since I'd like to see how this thread pans out without too much interference from me and #2 for obvious reasons. But we always, always kill the animals. Gotta save those frames.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Well that's no pressure at all.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oooh, this looks like fun.

Support Ramza, let's see some love for Meliadoul, save the animals so you can poach them later.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Making Split Punch and Crush Punch not sword-based (because "lol punch") was LFT, wasn't it? That one was fun and all but it had some really stupid decisions mixed in. Like in order to make monsters more useful, they all have innate Monster Skill, but even the weakest tier monster skills are ridiculously over the top (Goblins have Stop Bracelet), making Sweegy Woods a near-impossible nightmare. Also break skills hit 100%, which they needed, but in practice it means you have to rebuy half your equipment after every battle. Still a decent patch, though, don't get me wrong.

This LP is amazingly thorough so far and I love it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am curious if axes are improved. They were too random to be worthwhile except as ninja throwables before.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Pop quiz!

Does anyone know what this setting in ePSXe does if you set it to the other option?

If you answered, turn perfectly normal stat screens like this:

into this:

then congrats, you win a cookie of your choice.

I thought I was going crazy or if transferring stuff to my desktop broke things. No, just enabling all the "more accurate but slower" settings because I was going to be working on a newer desktop instead of an old laptop wasn't necessarily the best idea.

EDIT: And looking at the resolution of those images, it seems I forgot to tell something in the pipeline what "512x480" means, so I guess this was a good thing.

EDIT: And what "don't capture mouse cursor" means.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I prefer BizHawk as a PSX emulator to ePSXe anyways, both because it has built in recording and because it doesn't randomly decide whether or not it wants to work on a day by day basis.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Definitely excited to see what kinda jobs this hack has.

Commander Keene posted:

I prefer BizHawk as a PSX emulator to ePSXe anyways, both because it has built in recording and because it doesn't randomly decide whether or not it wants to work on a day by day basis.

Huh, I've never had issues with ePSXe randomly not working, though it definitely has some compatibility issues.
I still use it, mostly since I got it properly setup for the games I usually play a long time ago.
If I lost all my configs I'd probably swap to a more modern emulator though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't had a stable ePSXe setup for about 10 years now. The last time was before I switched from XP to Win7. It just doesn't seem to play well with my PCs.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Trasson posted:

Well that's no pressure at all.

:) Don't sweat it. I like to believe there is no wrong way to play my game hacks, so long as you're having fun with it. Just keep doing what you're doing. This is some great content already and I'm interested in following along. I'm also happy to answer any questions I can about things. For instance, as you've already observed with a glance at Mandalia Plains, yes I definitely changed Orbonne and Gariland with the intent of "let's get to the good stuff faster" and also because when I was playtesting it I got SO damned sick of those fights. I needed them to go faster for my own sanity.

I'm happy to answer questions anyone else has about the hack, assuming it won't lead to spoilers, but I don't exactly have detailed notes about the project and its been nearly a decade since I was working on it seriously so my memory may be spotty when it comes to specific details.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's an excellent idea. I've actually got a permanent save file saved right after Mandalia Plains that I load whenever I wanna start a new game simply because those first 3 battles are SO loving ANNOYING

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, so do I.

Normally.

But, I started this as a thing to do between classes and so during the week am using an old laptop. Like, a really old laptop. The "I can't get Bizhawk to not sound like a dying animal when playing FFT" kind of old. That annoys me in general but when you've got a soundtrack as good as FFT's? Nope.

Combine that with the fact that I ran into crashes trying to start a new game, and you get me using the ZSNES of PS1 emulators for this.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's odd. The only PSX game I've ever really had trouble emulating is Beyond the Beyond

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Celdia posted:

For instance, as you've already observed with a glance at Mandalia Plains, yes I definitely changed Orbonne and Gariland with the intent of "let's get to the good stuff faster" and also because when I was playtesting it I got SO damned sick of those fights.
That makes a lot of sense. One of the irritating thing about a lot of mods is that they crank the difficulty of the introduction. So you have no chance to prepare and if you struggle, there's basically nothing to do except reset and pray for RNG since you can't buy extra stuff or grind levels or try different equipment or etc.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Trasson posted:

Combine that with the fact that I ran into crashes trying to start a new game, and you get me using the ZSNES of PS1 emulators for this.

Yeah, there are some hacks I applied to the game that make it not play nice with real hardware which also means it doesn't play nice with emulators that function more closely to real hardware. The issue there is more than half of what I did with the game wouldn't work without those hacks doing what they do, so you're pretty much limited to ePSXe with some tweaked plugins to make it run consistently. PSXfin also works for the most part but can crash seemingly at random. At least I couldn't ever consistently re-create crashes in it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Celdia posted:

I'm happy to answer questions anyone else has about the hack, assuming it won't lead to spoilers, but I don't exactly have detailed notes about the project and its been nearly a decade since I was working on it seriously so my memory may be spotty when it comes to specific details.

Just what is up with he 40 year-old squire, anyway? :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's Lenny Wosniak

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Ooh, this looks fascinating, exactly what I want after LFT lost its shininess. And we even have the creator chiming in.

As long as we're on the subject of emulators, Celdia, do you have any word on how well this works in either of the RetroPie PS1 emulators?

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

nine-gear crow posted:

Short answer: I wanted to use as many different-from-vanilla elements as possible and the battle sprite fit the bill. I was less concerned with the portrait.

Long answer: First and foremost, when it comes to extended projects like this hack or others I've done, I'm an idea person. My best work is done in brainstorming up a bunch of random poo poo, throwing it at the wall, and seeing what sticks. But nothing gets done if all you do is dream up stuff so somewhere along the way I had to actually get working on making something or just abandoning the whole project as a lost cause. I'm also not the best when it comes to working with others/bringing in extra help because of things like being too controlling over "my" project or being unhappy with the speed or quality of work other people provide. This means I have to wear a lot of different hats to get something produced and one of those hats ends up being sprite artist. Its not my best hat. When it comes to spritework I am extremely amateur at best. I do my best work making small edits to existing things to change them for what I need (for example, the minor edits to Agrias.) Add to that the sheer amount of time making a good and complete spritesheet takes, I had to look to other sources if I wanted new and unique class sprites for my hack. Thankfully, my friends and other hackers/content creators over at FFHacktics are very open about sharing our work with each other and for use in various project and we had a good handful of very skilled and dedicated sprite artists on the forums there, so there were a healthy selection of custom character sprites to choose from when working on my hack. I wanted something that had a basic soldier feel and could be paired with a female sprite of a similar style and 40-year-old cadet ended up being the best choice that I personally liked that didn't involve trying to get someone to make me a custom character sprite from the ground up.

To be honest though, I never looked at that face and thought he looked particularly old until someone here said something about it. I've never claimed to be terribly perceptive. :sweatdrop:

Truthkeeper posted:

As long as we're on the subject of emulators, Celdia, do you have any word on how well this works in either of the RetroPie PS1 emulators?

I couldn't say. I'm not familiar with the RetroPie stuff other than that it exists and no one that's tried the hack has ever reported anything back to me about running it on them. I know back in the day there were some folks claiming they got this running on some emu software for mobile devices like PSP with limited success but I don't know how much tweaking was required for even that minimal functionality. Try at your own peril, I suppose. The most common and earliest sign of "ain't gonna work" is when the game tries to load Orbonne it just hangs on a black screen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Celdia posted:

To be honest though, I never looked at that face and thought he looked particularly old until someone here said something about it. I've never claimed to be terribly perceptive. :sweatdrop:

To me, the sprite is fine. Not all people look like movie stars, that one person just has some unfortunate genetics!

I wonder, will we be able to control all allied NPCs? I guess galaxy stop got hit with a deserved nerf, otherwise that chapter might be a bit easy. One of the many things I look forward to finding out in this LP :)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Update 3: Mandalia Plains

Now the real game begins.

Deciding on a team didn't take long. With three starter jobs, Ramza's Hero job, and four slots to put them into, everything came together like peanut butter mixed with more peanut butter.

Ramza went in as a Hero. Not that I had any abilities from Heroics. See, when a unit is created, they're generated as having a particular job level in one job. They're then set to have that level in that job and the minimum job levels needed in any prerequisite jobs. They're then given a random amount of JP in that job level range (e.g. if job level 2 requires 200 JP and level 3 requires 350 JP, so the unit gets 200-349 JP). That JP is then randomly spent on abilities, in the same way that abilities are dropped in crystals: each one has a percentage chance, and the game goes down the list (top to bottom Action, then Reaction, then Support, and lastly Movement) and if that chance is rolled, the JP is spent on it. That's how units come in with a few abilities learned, and that's also how enemies can have wildly variable movesets even between plays of the same map.

Why tell you all this? Because Ramza is special. For whatever reason, he doesn't go through this automatic learning process. Thus, he had nothing learned in Heroics; a fact I don't mind as I'd rather save up for Vigor and Ardor (+2 PA/MA). It also meant that when he got lucky enough to roll 161 Green Mage JP...

:getin:

Finally, he has an axe because...

marshmallow creep posted:

I am curious if axes are improved. They were too random to be worthwhile except as ninja throwables before.

Well, actually, it's because axes are secretly really good! See, with a normal sword right now, Ramza would have a WP of 4. Combined with a PA of 5, he'd be hitting for 20 damage. With the Hand Axe's WP of 6, he could hit for [6, 12, 18, 24, 30], or an average of 18 damage (remember, axes are WP * [1...PA] damage). But, you see, there's actually a secret factor you're not considering.

Really?

No. Axes are horrible. You didn't actually believe me, did you?

I use them here and might for kicks from time to time going on, but FFT's design really kneecapped them. FFV axes could roll above their listed power and they cut through defenses, but neither property is present in FFT and they don't have much larger WP to compensate (likely to balance against Throw, except that Throwing axes is still the best idea so nice going there).

Ramza doesn't get a Training Vest. He's going to be around all game, and Hero doesn't need JP help.

Pado is our Warrior rep. He's got a Crossbow because it's just a strictly better option compared to the Gladius right now (no Counter, more range, same WP, chance to trigger Sunder Shield...the list goes on (Actually that's about it)). He gets Alchemy as a secondary because Potions are nice, but he's there to shoot things and chew bubblegum.

No, he's not out of gum. He can do both. Pado is a true Renaissance man.

Musashi the Alchemist gets the Training Vest, since I figure he's the one most likely to be moving (to chuck Potions) and to want JP. He's got that Mop Handle I picked up because it can apparently trigger the Spring Cleaning skill. I don't know what that does, but I want to find out.

Finally, we have Angelica the Green Mage. Unfortunately, none of the armor currently available fits Green Mages, so I gave her the Red Shoes so she'd be able to stay far away. The Thorn Whip isn't the most damaging thing (I think it's just straight PA*WP) but at this level 15 damage is still useful. I could have gotten her a staff from the store but I valued the two range more.

Not shown is Delita, who also got an axe. He's there to beat things up.

Also not shown: my face when I realized how Alchemy could get an insane amount of buffs versus Item and not become the end-all be-all support skillset. 3000 gil is a lot, and this isn't vanilla: you don't start with a bunch of X-Potions and Holy Waters to sell.

I do buy some Grease potions though. If I'm going to be given the ability to throw glass bottles in people's faces for fun and profit, I'm going to use it.

Always choose this option. You have to be playing the most insane challenge run to not be able to finish Fort Zeakden in time to keep the Brave gain.

Winner of Ivalice's Most Punchable Face and Most Punchable Personality for fifteen years running, it's Algus Sadalfadalwigglethusfus!

Presented without comment.

Here's a battlefield overview. We've got one Bandit, one Alchemist, and four Warriors. With Phoenix Down being free and enemies having unlimited items, it's clear what the first one to die needs to be.

If you said "the second Warrior from the right", then :frogout: you're a moron and I want nothing to do with you.

Especially because that's the one I end up killing first.

One Warrior has a Hand Axe, another a Crossbow, and a third a Thorn Whip.

The last has this neat little number. I mean, 5 WP and Poison isn't exactly good but at least he's different. I appreciate anyone trying to show their own style.

Navarro the Bandit has a Fire Claw and -- for whatever reason -- Faith Boost.

Scary.

As for the actual battle...

Algus shoots someone in the back.

He then gets shot in the front.

At this point, it's my team's turn. Well, I guess I already moved Algus and Delita, but you know what I mean. I check the charge time on some stuff, and as you can see from that shot and the next one...

...I also check movement ranges.

Can you guess what's coming next?

It's called the "Green Magic Is Awesome" dance.

Everyone has to play their parts just so, but thanks to the magic of ranged abilities not a single bit of action efficiency is lost getting into position. Pado can shoot someone (in the face) and Musashi can throw a Potion at Algus('s face), while Angelica performs the complementary set of steps to Ramza's casting. Then...

...the fun begins.

But wait, there's more!

It's so beautiful. Haste and Protect on four units at once, with the non-casters still getting to do useful actions, all while keeping the most fragile member of the team safe in the back.

After everyone's first turns on Mandalia Plains two thirds of my team have stat sheets that look like this.

If I can't lead that to a crushing victory I'm not fit to be writing about this game.

Although I do only get to pull that trick once. Once is all I need, though.

From there, I proceed to mercilessly cut down my enemies. You're not reading anything wrong there: after those Warriors moved in, Ramza cast Haste and Pado shot that guy, and then thanks to Haste their turns came back around for them to go and both attack him again, all before he ever got to take a second turn.

Angelica moves up and tries to see if she can Whip past Ramza on relatively flat ground (she can't). Musashi can't reach anyone to hit, so he chucks a bottle of Grease at someone's face to see how well it works. I'd assumed Alchemy was 100% accurate, but it's really nice to see confirmation.

Delita has an inquiry for the enemy Alchemist, while...hey, why is that 95% accurate? Class evasion only works from the front!

And anyway, Green Mage has 10% C-EV, not 5%. That would have to be shield (no shield equipped), accessory (same), or weapon evasion, and she doesn't have Weapon-

-oh. Weapon Guard is an innate for everyone now, isn't it. Like it should have been all along. Not only does this make some of the more odd misses later make more sense, it also increases the value of Blind above what I'd originally set it at: doubling evasion rates means a lot more when you're starting at 5-15% from the side and 20% from the front instead of just 5% from the front and 0% from the side.

(yes I know that 10% class evasion and 5% weapon evasion doesn't actually come to 15% side evasion. Hush.)

Oh yeah, there was a battle going on.

Naturally Angelica got poisoned from that.

sigh

Alright Algus, do something useful.

Bandage will work. This was almost the first time in FFT history poison killed someone.

Meanwhile Pado continues to be what a kid who's played nothing but Halo thinks snipers are like, sitting out in the open, standing still, and shooting anything that crosses their vision.

Luckily, it keeps working.

This isn't even the guy who got Blinded. Just pure luck on my part.

Speaking of luck: on a completely unrelated note, this attack missed.

Come on critical hit!

I remain unloved.

Come on Spring Cleaning trigger!

still unloved

Come on 95% chance to hit!

Eh, I'll take it.

The unfortunate fact with this fight is that all the flashy stuff happened in the first round. Everything else has just been reaping the benefits of that flashy stuff. Now it's just smart FFT: focus fire single targets, try to act-wait when possible to get turns faster, etc.

I mean, that's still fun to play out. I wouldn't keep playing FFT if "just playing smart FFT" had gotten boring.

The only surprising thing here is my awful screenshot timing. Alternatively, Algus is so repulsive even the text box doesn't want to be near him.

But now my master plan (read: what I hoped would happen eventually) can take effect. Angelica can whip the Alchemist so Delita can finish her off. Hopefully.

What the hell? That rear end in a top hat whipped Musashi through that rock earlier but now I can't poke a stick through? This probably just FFT being dumb, but I can't help but think it might be one of those cases where it's got some random edge case in accounting for the minute terrain difference and weapon arcs that's really clever and realistic.

Don't think so? This is the game that lets guns and bows draw firing arcs underneath flying and floating units. I take nothing for granted.

I poke this guy instead. Whatever the mysterious Spring Cleaning is, it didn't happen.

You know, while it's a joke with taste on the level of giving me Mosfungus as an ability, Crossbow Algus is pretty useful.

Blind doing work there. Although... That's an attack from the front. Musashi has 15% weapon evasion and 5 % character evasion. With Blind those double to 30% and 10%, but 0.9 * 0.7 doesn't equal 40%. There must be something I'm missing.

The party comes to an end. Considering at this point we have two enemies down with no losses of our own, I feel comfortable in saying that the Green Magic Is Awesome Dance was a rousing success.

Establishing shots set to dramatic music.

Halfway done.

For some reason in FFTA they dropped the idea of minimum ranges. I wonder why?

Sir Pincushion Bandages himself. 15 HP, though?

He's got 3 MA where Algus and Delita have 4. I guess Bandage is 5*MA healing? That doesn't make it much better, but that at least gives it longer legs.

Well, let's get to the second half of the group.

The irony is not lost on me.

Though I'm not sure how funny Musashi found it.

That said, from there it's an easy cleanup.

Angelica was charging a Force Armor for the hell and JP of it. Except Charging is supposed to drop all your Evasions to zero. Something got changed with Blind and I can't quite deduce it yet, but I think the end result will be me throwing more bottles of Grease.

And one left. At this point I just stall around for a bit so Ramza can scoop up crystals for abilities.

Hot drat that's a lot of-oh, wait, those are all the free Alchemist things that you didn't auto learn and I didn't grab yet.

Well, Force Shield is a nice 100 JP saved.

Renew is nice too. Move-Find Item is, well, it gets me one step closer to Alchemist mastery?

Enough of that. Yes I blew a Phoenix Down on Musashi so I could stall to get the crystals. No, it wasn't worth the 3000 gil.

Not worth it at all.

Oh hey, six items. I don't recall that ever being a thing in vanilla.

Well, now we have access to Igros Castle and can fight randoms in Mandalia Plains. Hopefully in the next battle or two we'll explore some of the other jobs.

NEXT TIME, ON CELDIA'S COMPLETE PATCH:

We laugh at priority target number one being a monster Pisces when I have three Virgos in the party.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Celdia posted:

Short answer: I wanted to use as many different-from-vanilla elements as possible and the battle sprite fit the bill. I was less concerned with the portrait.

Don't stress it. I think the portrait actually looks fine (god knows I can't do better), I just enjoyed throwing the gag in for my comical "Next Time on Dragon Ball Z" footer.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's odd. The only PSX game I've ever really had trouble emulating is Beyond the Beyond

Even emulators don't want to touch that game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I nevet played the original. What's the joke with Algus?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I nevet played the original. What's the joke with Algus?

There's no joke. He's an rear end in a top hat.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You'll see over the course of the chapter.

e: I think Algus might be the only video game character I actually hated, instead of just fighting him because he had a red health bar or whatever.

megane fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 4, 2019

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage
Your deductions about some of the less-obvious changes are impressively accurate. :)

Trasson posted:

That's an attack from the front. Musashi has 15% weapon evasion and 5 % character evasion. With Blind those double to 30% and 10%, but 0.9 * 0.7 doesn't equal 40%. There must be something I'm missing.

Trasson posted:

Something got changed with Blind and I can't quite deduce it yet...

But if you'd like me to shed some light on this (and/or future discrepancies you run into) I'd be happy to. Just let me know since that is definitely spoiler territory that would have been detailed in a readme file if I weren't too lazy to put one together for this hack.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think the new sprites are really nice. Definitely gonna download this and give it a playthrough.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My preliminary thought on Blind is that it halves the unit's accuracy after the evasion is calculated in.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Keldulas posted:

My preliminary thought on Blind is that it halves the unit's accuracy after the evasion is calculated in.

I think you might be on the right track.

Vanilla Blind doubles evasion rates, which can't account for a 40% hit rate.

Halving accuracy, however, can. If evasion stays the same but the base hit rate is halved (or capped at 50) then we get 0.5*0.85*0.95*1*1=.40375.

Put in a form compatible with integer division, we get 50*85*95*100*100/10^8, or 40.375, which gets truncated to 40% hit rate.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ulmont posted:

There's no joke. He's an rear end in a top hat.
Did they rename him to Argath in the WotL update? That is a name I want to punch someone for having.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did they rename him to Argath in the WotL update? That is a name I want to punch someone for having.

They did. They changed a lot of names in WotL, and they're all punchable.

Except Corpse Brigade, which actually does sounds a lot better than Death Corps.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 5, 2019

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

So guess whose screenshots for Dorter didn't come out right?

(I accidentally clicked on some setting about transparency or other)

Lucky for you though, that's Dorter. I have Sweegy all set right here.

As in, right now! Celebrate!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Update 4: Sweegy Woods

My team is the same as in Mandalia Plains. The enemy side...not so much. While that might look like three flavors of Goblin and a higher level of bomb, you'd be half right.

The bomb is an Ice Elemental, with a melee Bite, a ranged Frozen Blast, and an ice-elemental self-destruct in Frigid Burst.

The goblins are two Mint Goblins, one Grape Goblin, and one Cherry Goblin. Mint Goblins are sort of Green Mages, sporting Mute, Lullaby, Plague Cloud, and Renew. Grape Goblins are Brawlers, with Pummel, Mantra, and Dolphin Kick. Cherry Goblins are Red Mages, with moves that don't matter and Resurrection.

Yes, Resurrection.

That said, let's back up a moment and look at how we got here.

Igros has a couple of new toys for sale. This Hairclip is the first in a new class of head armor, called "Crowns". This appears to be the head version of a robe. It's not much, but as you can see, Angelica can use anything she can get.

Also new is this Yew Wand. While that WP is low, five range is nice, and it's MA*WP damage as you'd expect.

Finally, we have Cloth Scarves: mantles for a new era. 4% evasion isn't exciting, but they're cheap and not exactly competing for slots (still can't buy Red Shoes). You'll also note Training Vests are now purchasable.

In item news, we can now buy Curtains and Panaceas.

Panaceae? Panaceapodes? Eh.

Ramza picks up Vigor, as does Delita.

Pado gets Charge, for lack of anything better to spend it on.

Angelica got enough spillover JP to unlock Gunslinger, which has this as a reaction ability.

Pretty nice. Catch, Arrow Guard, and Throw Items all in one? I'll take five.

Algus's Archer class doesn't come with much. Aim is a boosted damage strike for an MP cost.

Archer gets the standard set of RSA, but the class itself can't equip shields despite having access to that Support ability.

Anyway, back in the fight. The plan here is the same as before: set up Protect and Haste, and go to town.

Two problems here. One: Protect alone isn't sufficient, as there's casters to contend with. Two...well, you'll see problem two in a moment.

Delita moves forward and charges a Vigor while Algus gets ready to start shooting thing.

Algus is such a screwup he can't even Move-Find Items right.

Normal attack on the left, Aim on the right. It's not bad.

There's some general walking up and attacking by the monsters, and then we get this:

One Mint Goblin charges a Lullaby on Algus (no biggie) and a Mute on Ramza. The Mute is an actual concern since...

...yeah. Pado shoots the caster, but that doesn't remove the issue entirely.

What's that? Don't I have an ability for that? Skullcrack? Yes. Yes I do. I remember it later.

Instead, I abandon the formation and decide to just axe the goblin and hope I roll high.

I don't. In fact, I'm noticing that axes seem to be very consistent damage. I'll have to study a bit more to figure out their damage formula: either I'm on the weirdest RNG seed ever or they're not WP*[1...PA] anymore.

Instead, Angelica tries out her new wand.

Excellent. One down, four to go. Musashi there is charging a Green Magic of his own.

Renew has a fairly broad range, which is nice. Pado and Delita get missed, which isn't nice, but Musashi, Angelica, and Ramza all get Regen, which is nice.

In a moment of unity and solidarity with humanity that would be the envy of all peacelovers throughout time and space, the monsters pick on Algus.

And then the Cherry Goblin pops a Resurrection and undoes my hard work, and suddenly I'm feeling a lot less solidarity-ey and a lot more murder-ey.

I do get a Force Armor up on the core team, though.

Luckily, Delita quickly fixes the new problem. One down, four to go.

Again.

The hell is this? How did you hit both Algus and Ramza?

Three range line attack. Okay, that's cool.

The other Minty Freshness tries to Mute Ramza, and I remember Skullcrack exists.

I'm not the biggest fan of its hit rate.

Since it doesn't look like they want to let me cast Accelerate, I'm going to just axe things. That Counter looks worse than it is: Ramza takes two damage in response.

Hey, why can't I chuck a Grease potion?

You lied to me, description! She throws a Star Curtain on Pado instead.

I haven't shown any of it, but that Ice Elemental has been floating around taking potshots like this for a bit now. It's pretty annoying.

As is this. Yes, that's another Resurrection on the same Mint Goblin.

And that's Delita fixing it, again.

Ew, what's that?

Oh. I think I'm actually kind of offended.

Skullcrack attempt two hits, but it doesn't escape my notice that if I'd just done two normal attacks this thing would be dead now.

Ramza continues hacking away at the Cherry Goblin. It's slow, but we're getting there: he's got Resurrection, but no other way to heal. Eventually this will be done.

And no, Resurrection doesn't cost them any MP.

This is Angelica throwing a Grease onto the Grape Goblin, since it attacks physically. I had to take a screenshot mid rotation: that tile is visually blocked by a tree in all four camera positions. Fun fact for you there.

The Cherry Goblin decides to do something else. That will hurt a bit, especially since she just got shot by the ice elemental.

That's why we have Alchemists.

Definitely the right call there.

That one usage of Vigor has paid off immensely for Delita.

I should have used Charge here.

But I get lucky. Those aren't the same shot: the Crossbow triggered Sunder Shield, and Goblins don't have shields, so instead Pado just shot a second time.

See? No more Cherry Goblin. You're probably thinking "And no more Angelica" too. But no, that's the one I Blinded, so he's using Pummel there. 100% accurate, but...

Just like Repeating Fist, not the most reliable damage.

Grape Goblins have a lot of HP.

The sad thing is, that damage number is after Ramza snuck in a Vigor. Bad compatiblity sucks.

Wands can blind-fire just like guns and crossbbows, it seems.

Almost there...

Oh, right. Mantra.

Well, you need to die yesterday.

Charge does have a nice damage boost with it.

A really nice damage boost.

For real this time, almost done. Just have to get one hit i-

-hey! That's my gag!

Not the most exciting of prizes, but I'll take it.

NEXT TIME, ON CELDIA'S COMPLETE PATCH

Haw-knight? Hawk Night? Whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, I’ll come out and say it, I prefer the “fixed” translation names in War of the Lions over the half-assed job that was done with the script in the original version. They tried super hard to Game of Thrones it up too much because that was what was popular at the time, but over all I think the PSP port is the better game, slowdown issues aside.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, I’ll come out and say it, I prefer the “fixed” translation names in War of the Lions over the half-assed job that was done with the script in the original version. They tried super hard to Game of Thrones it up too much because that was what was popular at the time, but over all I think the PSP port is the better game, slowdown issues aside.

I'd argue with the timing here a little...

I do actually prefer the WotL translation as well. It's very stylized, and it would come off as pointlessly pretentious if it didn't actually all flow together really well.

And also generally be awesome.

quote:

Ramza: Lay down your arms, Wiegraf! What end will more deaths serve?

Wiegraf: What end did my sister's death serve?

Ramza: We did not set out to kill her! This quarrel need not be settled by the
sword. Let us treat, and persist not in this bloodshed!

Wiegraf: You see it not - the reason we hold fast to our steel! What advantage
might I hope to enjoy at the treaty table? And who would set a seat for me
there? You? Even were it in your power, your brothers would never heed any
agreement we might reach!

Ramza: My brothers do not want this fight! Set down your sword, Wiegraf, and my
brothers will treat with you!

Wiegraf: Ha! No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale! You say your brothers do
not want this fight? Tears then, for the world you see is one beyond my weary
sight.

I wish I could write dialogue half that good. It might not be for everyone's taste, but drat if it isn't for mine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel the original translation actually has some stronger lines and I'm not a big fan of the weird poetic style of WotL or the retranslated names (that kept the blatantly mistranslated Wiegraf but changed a bunch of other names to far less accurate ones) but at the same time it's far more coherent and when it gets it right, it gets it right, like in the second to last voiced cutscene (helped by Delita's excellent actor).

Also enemies that can revive each other never feel like a good choice to me but this isn't 1.3, here you have a clear "aim for the White Mage" so it works well, or at least it seems to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trasson posted:

I'd argue with the timing here a little...

I do actually prefer the WotL translation as well. It's very stylized, and it would come off as pointlessly pretentious if it didn't actually all flow together really well.

And also generally be awesome.

I wish I could write dialogue half that good. It might not be for everyone's taste, but drat if it isn't for mine.

You're right on that one. The game preceded the show by a couple of years, so it was more in line with the A Song of Ice and Fire novels it was based off, which were still relatively popular in nerdy circles and you could feel the influence GRRM had on WotL's script if you were at all familiar with them.