Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is AEW #1?
This poll is closed.
Yes 87 46.28%
Yes but we shouldn't brag about it and make all the people with bad taste who like bad promotions feel bad 101 53.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Yipes loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I realized I didn't get a single picture of Pentagon doing cero miedo though cuz I was too stoked to remember to take one lol

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Those were fighting game legends Justin Wong (huge WWE/Cena mark) and Michael "Yipes" Mendoza. Yipes is mostly well known for his infectious hype/energy and mostly does commentary now. I can almost guarantee Jebailey got them those seats for this exact reason.

For those that don't know Yipes is responsible for this piece of internet history. He was definitely put there on purpose to add hype to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

big black turnout posted:

I realized I didn't get a single picture of Pentagon doing cero miedo though cuz I was too stoked to remember to take one lol

Guess you’ll have to go to Fight for the Fallen now to get a picture. Gotta right that wrong.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So wait the story is Shawn Spears went nuts and attacked his boss because, essentially, he sent him to catering?

I change my mind that storyline owns.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
How was the commentary? Did JR manage to not be much of a bigot again?

Burt Buckle posted:

Guess you’ll have to go to Fight for the Fallen now to get a picture. Gotta right that wrong.

e: I loving might

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Draxion posted:

Chuck Taylor is the best wrestler in the world

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

He said oriental wrestlers out loud

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

boxcarhobo posted:

it was an occident

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Commentary was very good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

boxcarhobo posted:

About a wrestler that started a company called oriental wrestling entertainment, and then managed to give an interesting fact about Antonio Inoki and Japanese wrestling.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

MotU posted:

it was an occident

:golfclap:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

JR was the weakest link on commentary tonight.

JR was fine.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Spiderdrake posted:

So wait the story is Shawn Spears went nuts and attacked his boss because, essentially, he sent him to catering?

I change my mind that storyline owns.

It all stems from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEB9CUGMoeo&t=321s

Edit: 5:21 into the video, in case it doesn't work on the embed

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
JR just said whatever came to mind and not all of it made sense but it was good, imo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Goldenboy seemed like the perfect third man if you're going to do three men: Other two do most of the talking, but a third voice to add emphasis to exciting stuff.

I liked it, WWE three person booth is way too much "too children fighting with their father there to add lame comments"

also how nice is it not to hear lovely WWEism like "sports entertainment" holy gently caress

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
yeah goldenboy was solid make him a wrestling commentator too

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Hopefully they get the Pogchamp guy next time

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Commentary was very good.

Excalibur is so good that he makes JR better. I'd never heard the dude before AEW but he's phenomenal.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

JR and Excalibur are fantastic together, I guess they can throw whoever in there with them but I will continue to advocate for a 2 man booth

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Logansama and Goldenboy were excellent choices tbh

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It kinda blows my mind how Cody has set up his matches. First, Dustin, (not sure how he set up Darby) and now Spears making Spears angry by saying that he could be a player coach. That has to be his next singles match.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m also glad that wrestlers were just openly swearing while in a match. I don’t think it needs to be all the time but if you get dropped on a barbed wire board I think yelling gently caress makes sense. It just makes the wrestlers seem like real people and not just tv characters

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i hope cody wins and ronnie just goes to the back and teaches up and comers how to do the baby hand gestures

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I’m also glad that wrestlers were just openly swearing while in a match. I don’t think it needs to be all the time but if you get dropped on a barbed wire board I think yelling gently caress makes sense. It just makes the wrestlers seem like real people and not just tv characters

Mox said THIS Mother F- and I really felt it

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

JR has lost several steps but he has good chemistry with Excalibur and lends some legitimacy to what they're doing.

He also seems to be having more and more fun as this thing goes on.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Shame that Spears saved his "walk out and stave my bosses head in with a chair" spot till now, would have gone over a lot better 2 or 3 years ago

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

boxcarhobo posted:

He also threw in a joke about "his favorite Chinese food being the happy ending" and it was very :yikes:

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

What were they chanting during the Moxley/Janela match? It didn’t sound like AEDub but I couldn’t tell if it was ECdub either.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dario Cueto when

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Mjf saying that the audiences mom swallows was juvenile and immature and so good. Just imagine if it was wwe and he just told them that their local
Sports team sucks.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

jr doesn't give a poo poo but in the freewheeling positive way as opposed to the low energy negative way

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

The_Rob posted:

Mjf saying that the audiences mom swallows was juvenile and immature and so good. Just imagine if it was wwe and he just told them that their local
Sports team sucks.

It's a lot more impressive to get heat without having to do a cuss/inappropriate statement

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Burt Buckle posted:

What were they chanting during the Moxley/Janela match? It didn’t sound like AEDub but I couldn’t tell if it was ECdub either.

"You sick gently caress"

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Sports team sucks.

That kid is a heater with a mouth from hell and I LOVE HIM

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

so when can I expect more of you watching deathmatches

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my friend keeps asking me for a login or a pirated stream and just cannot understand or fathom that the B/R Service and show are free for the US. A free show like this has broken his brain.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
only watched the pre-show since i didnt feel like signing up for some website, was the first punchsports i've watched that wasnt STREETBEEFS in many years, basically since NXT was a reality show

I was surprised and delighted to see Goldenboy on the desk, he does great work for overwatch league when they decide to use him

it had a lot of weird moments but I liked it and I felt like it was worth my time. I absolutely lost my poo poo at this part of Leva's promo and this one single thing was worth tuning in:

"There's so much more than comics and manga. Books! With words!"
Crowd: "We can't read! We can't read!"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sticky Nate posted:

so when can I expect more of you watching deathmatches

Bleeding was only half the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Midnightghoul posted:

It's a lot more impressive to get heat without having to do a cuss/inappropriate statement

I like when wrestler cuss and say mean things. It makes me happy.