Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Lacey v Corbin is Most Overrated forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like Seth's twitter meltdown against Ospreay and bootlicking online have locked up my vote, the mess with Bray just confirmed it

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Didn't Seth used to be pretty good at wrestling?
I'd say WWE killed his spirit but it looks like he's double-fisting the Kool-Aid.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like Seth's twitter meltdown against Ospreay and bootlicking online have locked up my vote, the mess with Bray just confirmed it

I think this may be recentism, but like Seth was having main events against Corbin of all people and I can't retrospectively go that was Seth's issue and he wasn't trying to carry his weight. His issue is he's a natural heel being pushed as The Face of the company.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Seth's best matches have all, bar none, been multi-man or tag matches

Off the top of my head:

Seth/Brock/Cena
Seth/Brock/Roman (kinda?)
Seth/Roman/Dean
That one four-way on Raw
Every single Shield six-man
That brilliant Survivor Series ten-man in 2016

His best singles matches (Brock/Seth Mania and Summerslam) were both carryjobs, as was the AJ/Seth match this year

Seth is a magnificent multi-man/tag team wrestler, but he's so loving boring as a singles guy, and it will be so loving satisfying when Roman beats Seth clean at Wrestlemania

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I disagree with the last Seth/Brock match being a carryjob, and I think Seth looked great in that match and it was a good reminder of how they SHOULD have been booking him.

I absolutely agree with you however that Seth is at his best in a tag-team or multi-man, he absolutely shines there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is Most Overrated actually Most Overpushed? I think Seth still might take the cake on that one anyway. He's a good wrestler, but he's not Face of the Company good.

edit: ah, it IS Most Overpushed. For the amount of push they're getting compared to their wrestling ability, it's gotta be Lacey. Seth is at least technically sound and capable of working a good match in ideal conditions.

Dias fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 13, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

Seth is a magnificent multi-man/tag team wrestler, but he's so loving boring as a singles guy, and it will be so loving satisfying when Roman beats Seth clean at Wrestlemania

What you're saying is that Seth could be fun in Dragon Gate.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's kinda of amazing how much this year turned people on Seth given that 2 years ago people were saying he should be the face of the company instead of Roman. But this year has had a run of bad feuds that while not fully Seth's fault he hasn't done much to elevate. Throw in his dumb Twitter feud's and than his comments on Moxley leaving and he has no good will left

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kinda of amazing how much this year turned people on Seth given that 2 years ago people were saying he should be the face of the company instead of Roman. But this year has had a run of bad feuds that while not fully Seth's fault he hasn't done much to elevate. Throw in his dumb Twitter feud's and than his comments on Moxley leaving and he has no good will left

We might have...overrated Seth Rollins. :v:

He's making a sharp turn towards Dolph Zigglerization.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Venomous posted:

Seth's best matches have all, bar none, been multi-man or tag matches

This is technically true, but I think this applies to absolutely everyone in WWE right now.

It's more to do with WWE's agenting style than the talent themselves. I seriously can't think of a single guy with a singles match better than a tag or multi-man.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 13, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

What you're saying is that Seth could be fun in Dragon Gate.

Ohhh yes. Come on Seth, break up the last remnants of the Shield and bring Tyler Black over to Dragon Gate.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Voting Seth as most overpushed this year rather than Baron Corbin, Lacey Evans, or Shane McMahon is mind boggling. You’re boggling my mind.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Punch McLightning posted:

Voting Seth as most overpushed this year rather than Baron Corbin, Lacey Evans, or Shane McMahon is mind boggling. You’re boggling my mind.

Lmao forgot about Shane. Him over Corbin will be tough

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Especially when the real answer is Bray Wyatt.

Or Metalica.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm starting to think nobody should be the face of the company.

(and also WWE should be set on fire and launched into the sun. But that's a mostly unrelated thought)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MJeff posted:

This is technically true, but I think this applies to absolutely everyone in WWE right now.

It's more to do with WWE's agenting style than the talent themselves. I seriously can't think of a single guy with a singles match better than a tag or multi-man.

AJ and Bryan

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MJeff posted:

Andrade

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Especially when the real answer is Bray Wyatt.

Or Metalica.

Wouldn’t Ciber the Main Man be the better lucha pick? I think I avoided most of his matches this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wouldn’t Ciber the Main Man be the better lucha pick? I think I avoided most of his matches this year.

No his name is funny.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Extremely good point.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

AJ and Bryan

So you have to be a top 5 wrestler in the world and also wrestling a top guy who mostly controls his own matches to have your best match in WWE being a singles match. Exceptions that prove the rule if I ever heard 'em. :v:

This one on the other hand I have no counter for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does AJ Styles even have great singles matches anymore.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Seth this year, Bryan at TLC last year, and that's pretty much it

Though tbf he literally has no reason to put out great singles matches anymore, but that could apply to pretty much everyone in the Fed these days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

Does AJ Styles even have great singles matches anymore.

I don't think he's had a single great match since Brock, no. And besides Brock, he hasn't had a great match since Cena.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trying to hold a failure to regularly have great matches in WWE against a wrestler is like trying to say someone is bad at driving a train because it takes them three quarters of a mile to stop.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You're right but I still think AJ is mostly washed up.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Trying to hold a failure to regularly have great matches in WWE against a wrestler is like trying to say someone is bad at driving a train because it takes them three quarters of a mile to stop.

WWE wrestlers WISH they had that much momentum :colbert:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even by WWE standards AJ's matches this year have felt flat. AJ vs Ricochet is a big example

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even by WWE standards AJ's matches this year have felt flat. AJ vs Ricochet is a big example

He's just trying to represent the earth.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
VoW pointed out Bray could win Best Gimmick, Worst Gimmick, Worst Feud and Worst Match, the latter two basically being a lock.

And here I am like. drat. Baron Corbin getting his rightful Worst Feud honors stolen from him again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bray Wyatt is about to win Worst Match for the third time in his career (he's also won it in 2014 and 2017), which would tie him with Triple H for second-most all time (Hunter won in 2003, 2008, and 2018) and behind only Hulk Hogan, who has a whopping four Worst Match awards on his resume (1987, 1996, 1997, 1998).

I thought Kane would have a lot more wins in this category, but surprisingly he's only won it twice, and both were in a tag team (BoD vs. Kronik in 2001, and BoD vs. DX at last year's Blood Money).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kane has a buttload of worst feud though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MJeff posted:

Kane has a buttload of worst feud though.

At some point in the 2000s "a lovely Kane feud" became like a rite of passage for all the company's top guys

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Chris Jericho is going to essentially, given the context of a whole year, come out of nowhere to win Wrestler of the Year. A full decade after he last won it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think voting is going to be close as while you can make a case for Jericho you can do the same with Moxley and Cody, plus Will's in ring year was amazing so that will get some votes as well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Will was my front runner too given his in ring work but his shine dimmed from being The Best in the World (which well he is) when in the G1 he was overshadowed by Ishii. With that said Will the Thrill was always a tough call as he got up there on the strength of his campaign but we knew he was not carrying NJPW (though he was in position to be their next great hope to carry).

Moxley and Cody's arguments have suffered from being behind the great shadow Jericho is casting in their own promotion. Moxley can point to his G1 campaign, and Cody to his five stars (Mox has five stars too with Ishii anyway), which Jericho can't say he's done but as a singular entity While this may be the best years Will has had, the best year Moxley has had, the best year Cody has had, you can without feeling any doubt or questioning that this is the single best year Jericho has ever had and in comparison to those three theres no scale to compare that.

That Jericho's best year is coming when he's one year from turning 50 is something that unless you're Minoru Suzuki I don't think has ever happened before, and this is a man who was a Hall of Famer a decade earlier.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

Wrestler of the Year Will the Thrill

Most Outstanding Ishii

Best Flying Fenix

As it stands before AEW goes weekly

yeah AEW Weekly changed that... Chris wrestler, Will most outstanding

Fenix is still best flyer though god loving drat

Lid posted:

Most improved is Lance Archer in a landslide. But Cody deserves second.

Cody's now first. His AEW campaign has been amazing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Joke answer for Most Improved: It Should be Moxley for improving his places of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I said Ospreay was gonna dim in the last quarter of the year and some AEW guys would get a big chance to refine their WOTY campaign and everybody called me crazy.