Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
impulse bought this because it looks pretty good and i want to join the /r/wolcel community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

euphronius posted:

Rhykker will have more “sponsored” videos today

And I guess people with be streaming it . I’m going to wait a bit I think as it looks a bit too derivative to be worthwhile imho

Can't blame you, there are some systems that sound cool and unique and others that just sound like another version of poo poo I've seen before.

Personally though I'm such a big idiot fan of ARPGs that I still enjoy the derivative ones if they're put together well.

I'm interested to see how good the end game grind stuff they put in turns out to be. It's a whole seperate game mode and it sounds vaguely interesting. The only other end game I've ever enjoyed in an ARPG has been mapping in PoE so I'm hoping this might be number 2.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I know the servers open in 2 hours, when can we download the full version of the game though?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

in 2 hours, no preload or anything

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

I know the servers open in 2 hours, when can we download the full version of the game though?

I think the devs are probably being a bit too cautious. You can download and play the Early Access version now. The 1.0 patch will wipe all of your progress, but that is okay because it gives a pretty significant amount of features and new content. You can download the game right now and be fine. And if the servers for some reason poo poo themselves, Wolcen has offline play too. Which should hopefully mean mods. :toot:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I was feeling the itch for an ARPG but don't want to play D3 anymore and PoE is owned by TenCent. So here I am!
What's up with the terrible name though?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

I think the devs are probably being a bit too cautious. You can download and play the Early Access version now. The 1.0 patch will wipe all of your progress, but that is okay because it gives a pretty significant amount of features and new content. You can download the game right now and be fine. And if the servers for some reason poo poo themselves, Wolcen has offline play too. Which should hopefully mean mods. :toot:
Uh, I dunno, see what I posted on the last page. You might want to wait, just to be safe.

Mordja posted:

Heads up to any EA volks.

the panacea posted:

What's up with the terrible name though?
They're French.

E: It was originally gonna be called "Umbra" and was open-world and overambitious.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Mordja posted:

Uh, I dunno, see what I posted on the last page. You might want to wait, just to be safe.

They're French.

E: It was originally gonna be called "Umbra" and was open-world and overambitious.

Sounds like the classic Kickstarter experience. I guess the open-world died after they figured out it would only run on high-end machines?

I hopped on the official Discord and saw that they have a channel for modding. anyone wanna take bets on how long it'll take until we run around with dragon dicks (dicksize = playtime/level).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would hope the open world part died when they realized that 'open world' is just a gaming fad and wouldn't actually add anything to the genre, but it was probably a money issue.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Looks like somebody already wrote a pak extractor for modding

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

the panacea posted:

Sounds like the classic Kickstarter experience. I guess the open-world died after they figured out it would only run on high-end machines?
I think it actually was open world in the alpha but cryengine makes fools of all. But yeah, I'm not complaining.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uninstalled the early access version per the dev's suggestion. Hopefully there will be some sort of indication on Steam that the full release is available for download so I know when I can start that long process. Who knows, might actually be able to play sometime today!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I'm here from the POE thread, excited to spin my skill tree rings and throw ghost hammers.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I'm here from not the PoE thread, but being generally an ARPG addict and I hope this can tide me over until PoE2 eventually comes out someday or at least bridge some of the gap. Game looks neat.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Mordja posted:

I think it actually was open world in the alpha but cryengine makes fools of all. But yeah, I'm not complaining.

It's amazing how devs still fall for CryEngine. I don't know what the numbers are now, but I assume they started development around the time when CryEngine was :tenbux: and UE4 :20bux: + 5% revenue share.
I know a couple of people who told me they'd rather personally pay 50 bucks per month than touch CryEngine again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Grim Dawn's my current favourite, and I'm not sure that Wolcen will actually replace it, but I'm looking forward to its combat and production values, and to play an ARPG that's not on an engine originally from 2007. I ultimately bounced off of POE (tho recently reinstalled with ambitions to just blitz through the story) but I'll probably try again with POE2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

the panacea posted:

It's amazing how devs still fall for CryEngine. I don't know what the numbers are now, but I assume they started development around the time when CryEngine was :tenbux: and UE4 :20bux: + 5% revenue share.
I know a couple of people who told me they'd rather personally pay 50 bucks per month than touch CryEngine again.

The KS happened back in 2015 and the core team seemed to be made up of a bunch of CryEngine middleware devs or something. The original pitch video is worth a look to see how much it changed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im addicted to arpgs so ill play any poo poo that comes out

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Agent355 posted:

Personally though I'm such a big idiot fan of ARPGs that I still enjoy the derivative ones if they're put together well.

Yeah, I don't really need Wolcen to really tread new ground. Just provide some satisfying combat, enough depth to give me room to tinker, and a reason to continue to play at max level. Unless this was the greatest ARPG of all time, I'd be back on PoE when the new league starts - the only question is there enough in this game to keep me going until that point (and then hopefully this receives regular enough updates that I can return for a few weeks every 3 months when I get done with PoE).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

Yeah, I don't really need Wolcen to really tread new ground. Just provide some satisfying combat, enough depth to give me room to tinker, and a reason to continue to play at max level. Unless this was the greatest ARPG of all time, I'd be back on PoE when the new league starts - the only question is there enough in this game to keep me going until that point (and then hopefully this receives regular enough updates that I can return for a few weeks every 3 months when I get done with PoE).

Yeah basically. I don't see this toppling PoE for me at all, but I've gotten about all the enjoyment out of Grim Dawn that I could (please give that game an actual endgame system and I'd play a thousand more hours). So I just want this to reach the lofty goal of 'passable' to give me a bit of fun.

The next thing that might top PoE is PoE2 which I'm super crazy hype for but that's still more than a year (or two) off probably.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Mordja posted:

The KS happened back in 2015 and the core team seemed to be made up of a bunch of CryEngine middleware devs or something. The original pitch video is worth a look to see how much it changed.

Thanks for the link. That makes more sense now.
I'm positively excited to give this a go. I'm surprised they managed to stretch out that KS money for so long.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
ZiggyD says... It's good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJg_4hMGVP8

Check out that skill tree, that's what I'm here for. I wanna make small gems light up, connect then to large gems, and then smash mans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is he being sponsored

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One more important question, anyone know if this has free respecs?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I bought this like 2 years ago and shooting zombies with lightning felt very good then so I am excited.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Avalerion posted:

Respeccing your attributes like ferocity and agility costs gold.

Respeccing the passive skill tree costs some magic essence currency.

I think that's how it works.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

euphronius posted:

Is he being sponsored

I think all the sponsored videos I have seen in the last couple days were playing on the full release version of the game, while the posted Ziggy video was still on the pre-release beta version of the game, so I don't think that specific video was sponsored (and seems like he would have said so if it was).

There are definitely some sponsored videos out there from the last couple of days though that give a solid idea of what the release UI and skills etc. look like.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Note on the skill tree. If you played pre-release you were getting 2 points to spend on the tree per level. The patch notes for the full release show that this will be changed to 1 point per level now. I was sort of afraid of this, and it's kind of a bummer, but given the level cap is going to 90 I fully expected it. Sort of wish they'd give you 2 points for say the first 9 level ups and then drop it to give you a nice meaty jump start into the tree, but alas, doesn't appear to be the case.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Patch is up.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Looks like ingame gold to do it

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Two more hours of download, meh
Is there a guild system in this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Where did they announce the exact time?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oh it's out now

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yup, took a few tries to create a game, but its all good now.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Anyone else having issues with the game failing to auth on steam?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Keru posted:

Anyone else having issues with the game failing to auth on steam?

yeah servers are getting hammered. I managed to create an online character but after that I disconnected.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is there anywhere we can browse the skill tree while waiting for download?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

the panacea posted:

yeah servers are getting hammered. I managed to create an online character but after that I disconnected.

Yeah, I keep getting dropped into offline mode.

To be honest, I'm not sure there is a need for online in this game, I may just go ahead and play offline so I don't have to deal with their early server stability unless there is a real good reason to play online.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The Locator posted:

Yeah, I keep getting dropped into offline mode.

To be honest, I'm not sure there is a need for online in this game, I may just go ahead and play offline so I don't have to deal with their early server stability unless there is a real good reason to play online.

Offline characters can never join online (so you can't party ever etc). I'm just going to wait until their servers seem more stable I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

from discord:

We're aware of authentification issues with the massive amount of players trying to connect. We're currently working on it. Thank you for your patience and understanding.