Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Me: Okay, I just absolutely clowned that last loop, I don't need to leave
Me: immediately dies in the next loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Per paying a bit closer attention during a longish run: Wheat fields increase the health they grant for additional healing to a village every loop, so while it's still quite worthwhile to turn a village into a count's lands, the difference is additive to the base, not multiplicative as I thought. I also have the distinct impression that count's lands gain additional healing slower than villages, so if you're farming for resources a village can catch up, possibly even outpace a count's lands for healing, although if the touted quality improvement in treasure is good enough it may be a wash.

Oh yes, also if you get new cards when your hand is full, you'll lose the leftmost card and gain memories. I'm too much of a spender so I hadn't seen it in the demo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It seems like one of the big advantages to a Count's Land is better loot from quests

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This gets wildly grindy way too quick. Shame, because the first part of the game is fun and paced well, but once you get to the second boss, holy gently caress it's a cliff of grinding for stats and good RNG.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 5, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

K8.0 posted:

This gets wildly grindy way too quick. Shame, because the first part of the game is fun and paced well, but once you get to the second boss, holy gently caress it's a cliff of grinding for stats and good RNG.

Agreed, dont understand this crazy slow down

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I didn't really notice that, but there's a trick that's not really explained by the game although it 100% should be: you can bail out of an expedition with 100% of your materials when you're on the campfire space (as opposed to 60% elsewhere or 30% if you die).

Also, in the later worlds your resource gains are boosted pretty significantly, so if you're just grinding for mats you shouldn't be running earlier stages to boss kill, just run the latest stage you can and bail out when it starts to get too dangerous.

Also also also, super easy way to kill the world 2 boss every time: be the Necromancer, stack max skeletons. They whittle through the boss's mirrors almost instantly

IMO the gear system's biggest problem is that you can't target specific attributes, so it's easy to either end up with a bad mishmash of stats that aren't high enough to be useful, or just massively underleveled gear with stats you want. Then add in the god drat bandits from building 2+ villages, because they have a 5% chance of destroying a piece of gear on attack and sometimes things get very frustrating.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 5, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I didn't really notice that, but there's a trick that's not really explained by the game although it 100% should be: you can bail out of an expedition with 100% of your materials when you're on the campfire space (as opposed to 60% elsewhere or 30% if you die).

Also, in the later worlds your resource gains are boosted pretty significantly, so if you're just grinding for mats you shouldn't be running earlier stages to boss kill, just run the latest stage you can and bail out when it starts to get too dangerous.

Also also also, super easy way to kill the world 2 boss every time: be the Necromancer, stack max skeletons. They whittle through the boss's mirrors almost instantly

IMO the gear system's biggest problem is that you can't target specific attributes, so it's easy to either end up with a bad mishmash of stats that aren't high enough to be useful, or just massively underleveled gear with stats you want. Then add in the god drat bandits from building 2+ villages, because they have a 5% chance of destroying a piece of gear on attack and sometimes things get very frustrating.

I had a run with warrior where I didnt have anything but tier 1 gear by loop 4 haha.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The third class is hurt especially hard by loot variance. Gear several levels different seem exactly the same

The armory gold card that unlocks an extra gear slot? Amazing. Rogue with magic health is a beautiful thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, the necromancer just deletes the second boss.

Edit: Question to others on chapter 3: Do you run all four environmental cards(hills, meadows, forests, deserts), or do you forego some? Feels like they take up too much of the deck, and I end up not getting many monster spawners for the first few loops.

And sheesh, this game sure gets grindy on chapter2+

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 5, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I feel warrior has the hardest time with gear as he has too many different stats and you always end up juggling being a generalist whereas the others have some clear paths you can take. Like do you want to max regen or evasion on necro maybe question of max skeletons vs skeleton level., and do you want tons of evasion or dmg on rogue?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blind Duke posted:

The third class is hurt especially hard by loot variance. Gear several levels different seem exactly the same

The armory gold card that unlocks an extra gear slot? Amazing. Rogue with magic health is a beautiful thing.

Here's a question about that specific card and the kind of crappy card description:

Does playing the armory lower ALL loot quality by 15%? Or the quality of items that go in the unlocked slot?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone got some good strats for farming orbs of expansion?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Broken Cog posted:

Lol, the necromancer just deletes the second boss.

Edit: Question to others on chapter 3: Do you run all four environmental cards(hills, meadows, forests, deserts), or do you forego some? Feels like they take up too much of the deck, and I end up not getting many monster spawners for the first few loops.

Don't run desert on knight or necromancer IMO. It reduces your own health and the health of your summons. The rogue seems kinda explicitly designed around not needing the mountains FWIW, the 'gain health for each trophy you pick up' perk gives you a decent max HP by the end and the magic HP item slot form the arsenal will get you through chaff fights without losing any HP.

Also putting a spider nest or two next to a chrono crystal or w/e it's called will guarantee you get more than enough trophies for each loop.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

are there any cool combos with the forest or desert cards? i know if you place down enough forests a special village spawns but i've not found anything fun with deserts yet.

also are there only 3 classes at the moment?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Whats the best way to farm iron??

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Buller posted:

Whats the best way to farm iron??

Rogue

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Why not necro he lasts way longer, any special things about rogue making him stack up iron?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Buller posted:

Why not necro he lasts way longer, any special things about rogue making him stack up iron?
You mostly get iron from overflowing your backback with items, and rogue basically cycles his entire inventory every time he reaches the campfire.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Killed the first boss. Discovered that once you've surrounded a treasury with meadows and looted it, oblivion the spent treasury for even more loot. Then stick a stone tile where it used to be to re-activate the meadows for even more loot.

I have 2 questions for now:
What is the point of Swamp tiles?
How do I best use those crystals that double the effect of a day passing?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cactus posted:

Swamp tiles probably have some fancy use when paired with the right tiles, but their intuitive uses are that self-healing enemies will kill themselves in the swamp, and on uh difficulty II their mosquitoes are suicide bombers that can kill other enemies in the swamp. Probably only worth it if you have a very tanky build.
Crystals: The most direct positive effect is just doubling the effect of meadows, but you can use them to double the spawns from most tiles. You can use this to double weak enemy spawns for the rogue to get more trophies, double high value enemies like the battlefield slimes for high rarity items on the other characters, and there's one type of orb that's easiest to get from beating battles with 4+ enemies.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Small spoilers for 3rd class: judging by the implementation it seems the Summon Quality is basically not supposed to scale much if at all, with either item level nor number of stats (like most stats having smaller numbers the more stats each item has). This seems like it makes this stat busted on rarer items with 3+ stats and completely useless on common items (such as: https://imgur.com/a/GOGcDyQ), no? Weird way of doing it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Cactus posted:

Killed the first boss. Discovered that once you've surrounded a treasury with meadows and looted it, oblivion the spent treasury for even more loot. Then stick a stone tile where it used to be to re-activate the meadows for even more loot.

Best active use of crystals I've seen before getting beyond the demo is pairing them with blooming meadows. I think I tried them with the battlefields but it didn't spawn more chests as I remember. The only things I can guess are that something happens if you put some together, put enough of them down, there's something that makes you grow in power with more enemies spawned on the board, or there's a later tile that has a per-day effect that you can place easily near the road. Otherwise it's pretty trash in practice.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well, battlefields proc per loop, not per day, so that makes sense.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are there any cool combos with the forest or desert cards? i know if you place down enough forests a special village spawns but i've not found anything fun with deserts yet.

also are there only 3 classes at the moment?

For forests and deserts

Forest + Storm Temple for burning forest

Desert + River for Oasis

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
My biggest rogue tip so far: Arsenal + Deserts. Magic HP is amazing on the rogue and the deserts wont hurt you as much as they do the mobs.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's not so much a tip as absolutely required. Maybe 1 in 100 runs you could get good enough gear to survive without running arsenal + deserts, even just on the first boss. Second boss it seems like you need those + great RNG + tons of stacked stats to make it past loop 4 or so.

Honestly don't understand how so many of you seem able to stomach the wild grind - or how you've even had the time. I played for 10 hours yesterday and progress is a complete loving wall. How are you actually having later-game stuff unlocked already?

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 5, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Checked the upgrade requirements for some of the camp buildings, and you need 45 stable metal for the forge upgrade, sheesh.

Edit: what exactly is magic damage?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 5, 2021

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: what exactly is magic damage?

Damage that ignores defense.

1 defense = 1 damage reduced from an attack.

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

K8.0 posted:

That's not so much a tip as absolutely required. Maybe 1 in 100 runs you could get good enough gear to survive without running arsenal + deserts, even just on the first boss. Second boss it seems like you need those + great RNG + tons of stacked stats to make it past loop 4 or so.

Honestly don't understand how so many of you seem able to stomach the wild grind - or how you've even had the time. I played for 10 hours yesterday and progress is a complete loving wall. How are you actually having later-game stuff unlocked already?

Some people carried over their demo progress.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do Beacons do anything other than just speed up the game?

Already starting to feel the crunch of deciding what to include in my decks and they seem like a prime target.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
If you like me find the 2x speed to be too slow you can edit the variables.ini file in the game root folder. On line 40 you'll find the game_speed parameter, I've set it to 180, up from the default 60. More loops!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Do Beacons do anything other than just speed up the game?

Already starting to feel the crunch of deciding what to include in my decks and they seem like a prime target.

Not at my pc rn but dont they also increase the attack speed of everything? Fine vs one opponent, not so much against multiple.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wait I think that last post is logically flawed.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Few thoughts post-demo:

-Absolutely agree there's a need to balance building/upgrade costs. Making a new, vital building costs much less than mediocre upgrades which seems like a mistake. Probably should make some resources only available in later chapters rather than the current system where you can grind chapter 1 forever.

-Not sure if I agree stacking stats on warrior is the right pick, I've had more success with generalized builds while ignoring specific stuff like regen/sec and damage all than with pure evasion

-Getting orbs of expansion is a pain in the rear end. Only reliable way I've found is spiders near a vampire camp

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I think you guys should stop trying to build every building before you complete chapter 2. The grind is not that bad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, beat the third boss on my first try as Rogue, turns out the Outpost is really good, and the downside hardly matters for the rogue, since he gets all his gear from the trophy trade-ins anyway.
Was close though, only won because I had the upgraded cemetery ressurection.

DurosKlav posted:

I think you guys should stop trying to build every building before you complete chapter 2. The grind is not that bad.
Nah, the grind is pretty bad, especially for certain resources.

Speaking of resources, anyone know where you get the third orb required for the alchemist building?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

Did you grind the hell out of the demo? Without massive grinding or EXTREME luck on item drops, you're not making it past maybe loop 5.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My secret Orb of Expansion farming technique

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Anybody know what's the point of the maze of memories?

Is it just a challenge thing or does something interact with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

K8.0 posted:

Did you grind the hell out of the demo? Without massive grinding or EXTREME luck on item drops, you're not making it past maybe loop 5.

I've not really grinded very hard nor played the demo much. I think it's just farming the later acts you get a ton of stuff even on short runs. Find something you can roll, run it a bit, and get out while you can, don't push it. There are also better builds for farming vs boss pushing. I do wish the cards showed what you can get from them with supplies.

There are some things that are expensive, but most roguelites are. I may also just be extremely lucky, it is an RNG game at some point.

I love watchtowers and have been building my entire farming runs round them.