Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Being grounded in my house just meant no going outside the house unless it was for school, and no seeing or talking to friends.

If I were in a lot of trouble, that also meant the Sega Genesis was removed from my room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I had to touch a radiator before installing more RAM

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

deep dish peat moss posted:

(My mom is incredibly sexist and doesn't believe men are capable of independent thought

Well have you seen men

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
When I misbehaved, I had to serve as a reference point in an electrical circuit from which voltages are measured, a common return path for electric current, or a direct physical connection to the earth.

Was it different in other homes?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jesus Christ, op, between that and the story you've told about the lunch ladies and food trauma I'm sorry that you've got to 100% be hosed up, man 😔

In my house 'grounded' was:
Go to your room.
No tv, no Nintendo.
You can listen to music, quietly, read.
No calling or going out with friends.

Usually for a week.
The 'stuck in your room' part usually only lasted about 48 hours though.

I think I was grounded maybe 3 times.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Was it different in other homes?

No idea how to answer this question without you posting the voltage used

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Mostly this bit. It wasnt something they did alot for simple mistakes like wasting soap or whatever. The actual full on version of grounding was for more serious transgressions.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Basically same as OP with the stipulation I wasn't allowed to leave my bed.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you're chained to a radiator, you just might be grounded :dadjoke:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I just got sent to my room for the rest of the day never got like a full on grounding. In retrospect it was a poo poo punishment because my room was where all my stuff was

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

21st century parenting is so much easier. Just threaten to pull the tech and they snap back into line.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

10 years in a iso cube

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The only time I was threatened with a full on grounding is when my cousins were over and we were told if we went to the woods I would get grounded (my cousins would receive no punishment for this). So of course my cousins being assholes decided that they would go to the woods just to get me into trouble. “gently caress it” I thought when we got there and I turned around and went home because I wasn’t about to get in trouble for those little shits, then they all went into the woods alone and got lost lol. So it massively backfired on both my parents and my cousins. My uncle found them sat in a sheep field on the other side of the woods crying because they thought they’d never find their way back home.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dunno, my dad paid a guy to hit me with a stick in a prison that looked like a low-rent Hogwarts staffed entirely by nonces. (I went to a UK prep school)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Big Beef City posted:

In my house 'grounded' was:
Go to your room.
No tv, no Nintendo.
You can listen to music, quietly, read.
No calling or going out with friends.

Usually for a week.
The 'stuck in your room' part usually only lasted about 48 hours though.

:same: including the “3 times grounded” part, although a grounding was really only until the next day, and I could still play Nintendo. I think I studied and figured out Wart’s pattern and finally beat Super Mario Bros. 2 during one of my groundings.

Chrs posted:

I just got sent to my room for the rest of the day never got like a full on grounding. In retrospect it was a poo poo punishment because my room was where all my stuff was

Yeah, this.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
When I was in high school I passed out while I was driving. I went to the doctor and he told me I was hypoglycemic, and that I needed to eat more regularly. My parents grounded me for a month. No friends, no girlfriend time (except church, seriously), no driving unless it was to work. I never understood why they punished me and still don't, but I'm 36 now so it's probably time to let it go. That was the only time I was ever grounded.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Seaniqua posted:

When I was in high school I passed out while I was driving. I went to the doctor and he told me I was hypoglycemic, and that I needed to eat more regularly. My parents grounded me for a month. No friends, no girlfriend time (except church, seriously), no driving unless it was to work. I never understood why they punished me and still don't, but I'm 36 now so it's probably time to let it go. That was the only time I was ever grounded.

Yeah like I mentioned before my parents also had zero comprehension of medical things making your behavior "unacceptable."
This reached a pretty bad point when they kept sending me to school despite me complaining about a UTI and only doing something about it when it turned into a cripplingly painful kidney infection that I had to go to the ER for.
Oh, and when I had a chest cough and it developed into bronchitis because they kept telling me that I wasn't sick enough to stay home from school. I was like hacking up massive globs of phlegm and each breath crackled and felt watery. I basically experienced COVID before it was popular.

Honestly sometimes I'm surprised I didn't die from some completely preventable thing because my parents weren't full convinced I was diseased enough to keep me from going to school or camp or practice or whatever poo poo.
Going to gymnastics practice with a kidney infection and even my hard-rear end loving coach who kept pushing me in varsity for years and never let up was like "Jesus you need to go home should I call an ambulance" ;lmfao.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oh, and my lungs are still slightly hosed to this day because of that lol.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Cmon bb u got big ol beauty breathers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

goblin week posted:

Well have you seen men

Yeah for real

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I never wanted to leave my room. check-mate in one.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I was publicly executed by firing squad every other week for heresy.

Sometimes when I touched the forgotten idol of pythaknu after being told not to, i'd be forced to become his physical vessel on earth, where every moment felt like a million years being tortured in hell.

And I turned out alright.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I never got grounded because I didn't really hang out with friends outside of band/school and I spent home time sitting in my room writing fanfiction, emo poetry, and LiveJournal entries.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Meme Poker Party posted:

I was generally a well behaved child. But even when I wasn’t I was never grounded because it doesn’t make sense to say “you can’t leave the house” to a kid you normally tell everyday “I wish you would go out more instead of staying in your room.”

Same. I mostly read books in my room when I wasn't grounded so I'd make a point to play more videogames than I actually wanted to when I wasn't just to squeeze them in.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

YeahTubaMike posted:

I never got grounded because I didn't really hang out with friends outside of band/school and I spent home time sitting in my room writing fanfiction, emo poetry, and LiveJournal entries.

hell yea. the life-style

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I was hanging off of freeway overpass bridges

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

my parents had no idea what they were doing, so there was really no consistent method to their punishments. i got grounded all the time, but it always meant something different. sometimes i could play snes, sometimes i couldn't. sometimes i could go outside, sometimes i couldn't.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Prof. Crocodile posted:

my parents had no idea what they were doing, so there was really no consistent method to their punishments. i got grounded all the time, but it always meant something different. sometimes i could play snes, sometimes i couldn't. sometimes i could go outside, sometimes i couldn't.

Sometimes they sent YOUR dad over to put a boot on my rear end and just out of the blue I was like 'please sir I don't know what Croc did!' but he'd give me one good solid wallop and be done with it, it was very confusing

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The strap-on varied in size depending on whether I was good or bad. No, I won't explain which way round.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Being a child with undiagnosed bi polar disorder, you can bet your rear end I was grounded a lot. I mean I wasn't a bad kid, I didn't get into fights or talk back, I just had serious impulse control issues. So many notes home for talking too much in class or overly stimulated and couldn't sit still.

Grounding for me was homework or book reading only and staying quite in my room.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's surprising the number of people thinking this is normal. I was grounded exactly once and it meant I couldn't play games on our computer for a week. I'm sorry a bunch of you had nutso parents.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I was rarely grounded my parents would just spend several hours telling me that I, a seven year old, was a stupid piece of a poo poo ruining his future. From just after dinner until well after midnight when I was completely exhausted.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

kdrudy posted:

It's surprising the number of people thinking this is normal. I was grounded exactly once and it meant I couldn't play games on our computer for a week. I'm sorry a bunch of you had nutso parents.

Yeah, I got spanked once as a kid and my parents seemed to have decided never to do it again to me or my younger siblings. I also once had my He-Man figures taken away for a few days because my brother and I were throwing them at each other. I was never grounded.

I thank my parents for helping to make me as well-adjusted as I am considering my inattentive ADHD keeps trying to ruin my life.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I still have some scarring above my right hip from picking at a scab-like and incredibly painful bubbly thing that I had in like 2nd grade. I was told it was shingles, but I don't know what that looks like and I'm not going to google it. It was really gross but I was sent to school anyways and I grossed out some of the other kids there and even they knew I shouldn't have been at school with that poo poo going on.

kdrudy posted:

It's not that child abuse is normal, none of this poo poo is normal. Just a neat lil commiseration, and more common than a lot of people realize too. Surely there are other goons who know about getting spanked with wooden spoon until the handle breaks

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I wasn't ever really grounded. It wasn't possible to ground me. That would be silly. My household never had obtuse rules. I'd get a talking-to here and there but that was all.

My parents knew that, if I was grounded, I'd just leave. It's not hard and I had places I could go. I'd leave well supplied and I could live somewhere else for a while until they calmed down. As such, their grounding attempts failed.

Punishment doesn't solve problems. Talking solves problems. Punishment just breeds resentment.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mostlygray posted:

I wasn't ever really grounded. It wasn't possible to ground me. That would be silly. My household never had obtuse rules. I'd get a talking-to here and there but that was all.

My parents knew that, if I was grounded, I'd just leave. It's not hard and I had places I could go. I'd leave well supplied and I could live somewhere else for a while until they calmed down. As such, their grounding attempts failed.

Punishment doesn't solve problems. Talking solves problems. Punishment just breeds resentment.

p sure "12 year olds forced to pack supplies and flee to the streets and take shelter until they calmed down" also 'breeds resentment', homeslice.
You might not be willing to acknowledge that yet, but yeah.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Grounding, also called earthing, is a therapeutic technique that involves doing activities that “ground” or electrically reconnect you to the earth.

This practice relies on earthing science and grounding physics to explain how electrical charges from the earth can have positive effects on your body. This type of grounding therapy isn’t entirely the same as the technique that is used in mental health treatment

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

mostlygray posted:

which korn song did you take this from

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I had to sit on the stairs of my house for a period of time when I was misbehaving. Like just sit there. Pretty effective honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Generally grounding for me was saying I couldn't go to a friends' house, they couldn't come to mine, and my mom would take the power cord to my SNES or PS2 with her (Jokes on her, she left me unattended at home until like 9 at night most nights since I was old enough to cook a prepackaged meal without killing myself, and always hid them in the same spot).

When I was little my mom made me pack as much stuff as I could into a bag and pretended to ditch me at my abusive alcoholic grandfather's house. The one she had a goddamn restraining order against. She still finds it hilarious to tell the story about dropping off a 6 year old in a sketchy part of town in front of her violent dad's house at midnight and peeling out around the block to give me a scare about "talking back". Thankfully she's worked on her anger issues since then