Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mzbundifund posted:

Ah good ol’ beam weapon projectiles traveling at a blistering 100 kph.

Is Kyle’s left eye damaged? Looks cloudy.

It's not mentioned in the story so I assume not but it would be a neat detail if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I decided to look up a video lp of this game. I instantly regretted it because whatever they were using for capture? It recorded the sound in the grittiest, most feedback-laden mess that was so crackling I could mistake it for a pork roast.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

Big Scary Owl posted:

I seem to recall that Taiwanese people have gourmet tastes. I hope you like this.

Oh, I'm no gourmet! I love junk food!

As a Taiwanese person, this is an accurate image of me in college.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

This is a very short chapter so let's get right into it, we unlock a new chip, the auto-rotate targeting chip:

Sounds pretty helpful!

No this is not me rotating the OKE, it is the auto-rotation in action! Whenever we are locked-on to an enemy and we are outside of the angle/range that we used in the chip, we will auto-rotate. With the current settings, we will pretty much always auto-rotate when we aren't facing the enemy. It's very useful both for auto and manual OKEs.

It really does.

We unlock the battle arena! :woop:
These are optional battles where we can earn money- but wait, where are we going to spend money??

In the shop of course! Which we just unlocked!

:toot:

Oh :smith:

So in order to fight the battle arena matches, I've made a new OKE which I creatively titled "Custom". It uses similar logic to what we've seen before, except using the power of emulation I can bind the PSP's analog to the right analog stick in my DS4 controller and use it to control the camera!

This is how the controls work now. Not the best, but it'll do for now. Let's watch some battle arena matches and see how it went!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avz9WPZnfYM

In the first match I forgot to set the firing mode to Snipe which caused me to miss many many shots :downs:

But there's much, much room for improvement. My equipment sucked, my program sucked. If only I could jump or something... Oh well.

I bought some OKE types and a new weapon. We won't see these now but I'll try to include them in the next updates!

OH poo poo WHAT DO YOU KNOW A JUMP CHIP

It is very useful for dodging enemy fire, and we can still shoot while we're in the air.

I can actually dodge incoming fire now! :hellyeah:

And that's it for this chapter! Yeah, no talking or anything in this one.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The moonlight does not appear to be a laser sword or gun, well, can't be true everywhere.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Hello... huh? Where's Kyle?

Master Kyle is in his room. You came somewhat earlier than usual, so he is still reviewing the material on his own at the moment.

I'm early? I didn't realize.

Oh, I guess you're right. But I just rode over in the car you sent for me as usual.

There is a newly opened road on the route from here to your university that has eased traffic congestion. As a result, you arrived 15 minutes earlier than usual.
I will recalibrate the route based on this new information.

Okay.

No thank you. If Kyle is reviewing, you don't think he'll mind if I go to the room a few minutes early, do you?

As you wish, Ms. Chi-Ling. I will bring tea.

Thanks.

You make delicious tea, Partita.

I simply follow the recipe. Anyone could make the tea the same way. Machines only do what they are programmed to do.

That's true. But you... Tweak it, don't you?

Tweak?

Drugs??? :2bong:

Try making it a little sweeter one day, a little less hot one day... There's some wiggle room based on your sense, right...
That's not following a recipe, is it? You think about Kyle and I or whoever is drinking your tea and try to make tea in a way that pleases them, don't you?

...Yes, Ms. Chi-Ling.

See she does care and has feelings! About tea! That's something!

SR-type androids are really amazing!

You are very kind to compliment me.

Now, if you will please excuse me, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Sure, see you later.

So Kyle's room was this way, wasn't it?

AI: "Activate map?"

Where did you get a map?

AI: "Accelerometers allow two-dimensional movements of users to be tracked."

That's handy, and leaves no room for error, but... I'll do without.

It's really a huge estate... I've come here many times, but I still get lost... Hmm...

Kyle: Yes, that will be fine.

(Oh, it's Kyle's voice... He must be in here...)

Kyle: At least three OKEs scrubbed of ID numbers, within the specified time frame.

(...?)

Kyle: The sooner the better. Everything is ready at the warehouse. Transport them there.
I emailed you the address. You can decrypt the file with code B-7.
Yes, that's right, weapons for all three. If you can't get everything I ordered, that 's okay, but I need at least the three OKE units themselves.
They can be transported disassembled if necessary. But in that case assemble them onsite. Three units, you understand?
Don't worry about mounting the weapons. We'll handle that on our side to get the right balance on the units.
Don't screw this up, Archer...!
I'm not some tea-sipping British aristocrat like you. You understand that we're on a schedule here, right?
That's right, I don't care what motives you hide behind that slick upper-crust facade.
Just do what you're paid to do. I want results, not promises. I'll contact you later.

(What was that conversation about...?)

(OKEs? Weapons--? That doesn't sound like simulation to me...)

YA THINK????

(He's getting hold of... real OKEs? Why, Kyle... why?)

(Ohhhh... I think... I figured it out.
His abnormal fixation with OKEs... His obsession with realism... It's because he plans to use actual OKEs... but for what?
Once he has real OKEs, what will he do with them? Could it be...)

May I help you, Ms. Chi-Ling?

Yikes! P-Partita...? Oh!

*Chi-Ling falls

Who's there?

Uhm...

Chi-Ling?!?

H-Hello, Kyle. I, uhm, was... a little early today.

I see.

Sorry I didn't knock! I was standing in front of your door wondering whether I should wait for the scheduled time, or, uhm...

It appears that I surprised you from behind. I beg your pardon, Ms. Chi-Ling.

No big deal. It wasn't your fault, Partita. I was just in a daze...

It's fine that you came early. That just means we can get started on the lessons sooner. Let's begin at once.

Yes, right. So...

Chi-Ling?

Oh, it's nothing.

Let's begin the lesson, Kyle.

FINALLY

The weapons it can mount are also a little different. It can use some weapons that the Agrios can't.

Let's check out the Cemetery Keeper!

Pictured above: one of its special attacks. It's ok I guess.

It's pretty good at jumping and firing though! The other two special moves are circle-strafe jumps to either the left or right (not pictured above).

The self-repair system is single-use and it takes a while for it to heal you up, while the self-cooling unit can be used five times. Also your maneuverability will be worse while both are active. The other optional equipment are: ECM for missiles, and extra energy tank (single-use, previously I mentioned that you could use these multiple times, but this is not the case unless you equip 3 of them), a self-destruct system, a speed/acceleration booster, radar enhancement, rapid-fire system, shield generator and a projectile deflector.

However we have to program how to use them as well:

We program the optional equipment to activate whenever we press left, right or up on the analog stick, each direction for a different equipment slot.

Now let's check out another new biped OKE we bought before, the Moonlight:

Uh, which, for some reason, has emblems on its crotch. But hey it can use the napalm grenade we got before!

It's also very mobile and great at dodging. Look at that sick back-flip! :aaa:

Here are its special attacks, nothing too fancy. The first one kinda feels like it would work like a launching attack (ala Devil May Cry) but it's just a normal hit. On the normal dummy it's very hard to hit.

Let's finally automate some stuff!

Let's try this out on another new OKE: the Jailor.

Since it's supposed to be a tank-ish OKE body-type, let's put on the strongest armor we got and see how it'll fare in combat.

Its special attacks. The first one is very weird and is called "Anti-air Dash". Since there's no flying OKEs around it just looks silly.

It's very slow since we picked the strongest armor we had, but then again we took a missile head-on and we barely suffered any damage. Very nice indeed.

TIME FOR AUTO OKEs LET'S GO

In the first Scan for OKE Chip we look to see if there's an enemy right in front of us in a distance of 30m. It true, it will melee it. Else, it will check if there is an enemy in front of it in 800m, if true it will walk forward, else it will check the sides and rotate if it detects an enemy in that direction.

Let's check it out!

It walks forward and then attacks the dummy, success! :toot:

This data is your homework. Go ahead and prepare all this between now and your next lesson.

Of course. I'll do it all.

Yeah. Only...

...?

Don't strain your brain too much.

Sure...

I'll send reference data for the homework. Let's see, the data file should be here...

Chi-Ling, your mobile terminal...

What, this...? Yeah.

I bought this new one with the money I earned tutoring you.

I kept the AI chip from my old one, though. It's a prototype I created in my programming seminar.

This new model is definitely better. It has 10 times the data capacity of my old one. It's more responsive, so it's really handy in class.

The bottom line is, you can't go wrong with higher specs.

I see.

But I just bought it, so I'm not used to all its features yet. Maybe the data was in this tier?

Oh, here it is! Can I send it to your terminal, Kyle?

This time, it's not just text data. So a direct connection would be better.

Certainly. What cable type?

Any standard North River cable should work. Do you have a compatible one?

What did you say?!?

Say about what?

Just, a cable compatible with North River.

You mean your portable terminal is a North River model?

Yes, it's a SW659M. Kyle?

That was the best available?

Huh?

Among the latest models, that was the one you wanted most?

Well...not exactly. The one I really wanted ws from A&D. The Quasar. But it was kinda pricey...

I see...

Ah, never mind. I have a cable with a universal connector. That should work.

Yes. I'll hook it up.

AI: "Connection confirmed. Sending data."

I dunno about you guys but I think Kyle isn't a big fan of North River.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh noooo Kyle might be using my lessons for nefarious purposes…. Ok so today’s lesson is about the CEMETERY KEEPER and its 185 mm cannon

I’m very glad to see Kyle also keeps a big ol’ disorganized cable bin, as all true nerds should.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh noooo Kyle might be using my lessons for nefarious purposes…. Ok so today’s lesson is about the CEMETERY KEEPER and its 185 mm cannon

Look what is she supposed to do, NOT get paid? College students have so many expenses, you know!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A job's a job.

And tutoring a guy in a nice home with a robot waiting on you is better than most other options.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

When a OKE is hit by an attack, the amount of damage it takes is modified by the armor it is equipped with. But there are many kinds of attacks. Bullets, energy beams, melee attacks... I will now deliver a lesson bout additional armor that you can add to your regular armor to protect against specific types of attacks.

Armor-piercing shells include ballistic rounds from assault guns, shotguns and other weapons intended to penetrate armor. Missiles, rockets and other exploding munitions are not classified as armor-piercing shells.

Each type of additional armor has its own weight. And you can choose only one type of additional armor. When choosing additional armor, consider carefully what attacks your OKE is most vulnerable to. By using additional armor that resists the attacks you are most vulnerable to, you can compensate for you OKE's weak points. If your armor is breached in battle, the breached area will no longer provide its protective effects. I will add an element to your battle display to help you make the best use of your additional armor's defensive effects.

It also shows when we hit enemies, pretty useful. Our mission is to defeat a Cemetery Keeper, equipped with a cannon, missile launcher and an aerial mine dispenser. Let's try out another new two-legged OKE, the Trinker:

Let's also equip the deflector armor for normal gunfire since missiles and whatnot are more easily dodgeable.

Uh, forget I said that. Either way we beat him pretty easily though.

Here are the Trinker's special moves. That last on is called "Stand on One Foot"... I have no idea of its actual purpose.

You have studied two-legged and multi-legged OKEs. Now you will be learning about vehicle-type OKEs. Master Kyle, I have added new OKE: Bad Dream.

Unlike two-legged and multi-legged OKEs, it cannot jump, since it has no legs. It also cannot move left or right. That means that its only possible movements are forward and back, along with rotating left and right. It also requires some time to accelerate from a stop. The Bad Dream is somewhat limited in its mobility. However... In exchange, it is able to use very powerful weaponry.

:getin:

According to Partita they are the "most destructive gun-type weapons available".

Look at that bad boy. Let's try this out in the next mission against a Cemetery Keeper.

A bit difficult to get used to moving it, but you can lock-on to an enemy and try to circle it. The camera doesn't help very much, although I didn't show it here. We might take a look at this later.

The Bad Dream's special moves.

This time, you lesson is about weapons suitable for combat against heavily armored opponents.

It sets things on fire!

OKEs with heavy armor to protect them have a tendency to heat up more easily. A napalm gun exploits this.

Land mines sit on the ground waiting for an enemy to come near, at which time they automatically attack. The Death Sphere is a guide landmine that rolls toward its target. The death sphere moves slowly, but its destructive power is massive. It can do meaningful damage even to heavily armored OKEs.

The death spheres are kinda funny-looking but indeed very powerful. The Bad Dream stands no chance against our attacks.

Observe the position of your opponent and decide on a course of action... That is the basic principle of designing an auto OKE. But that approach can cause problems when there are obstacles present on the battlefield.

It is similar to what the auto OKE had before, but now we check if there's an obstacle in front of us and if so it will move to the right. This program doesn't check the battle area boundaries however.

It works! And we're done with this chapter too! :toot:

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 2, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am not sure the napalm bomb and the mine dispenser are the most perfect toys to give to him, Chi-Ling.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
No update today, I'll see if I can get one up next week.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So glad to see someone is LPing this game. I found out about it a really long time ago, and though I'm a pretty decent programmer, I didn't have the attention span or patience to make it all the way through the tutorial. I'd love to see more games like this get made.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I remember someone made a top-down 2d game with a similar programming interface in Game Maker in the 00s probably...I wish I could remember what it was called, but it's cool seeing the series that probably inspired it!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

It's nothing. Thank you for coming all the way here. You've been a great help to me.

Without your lessons, I could never have learned so much.

Flattery will get you nowhere!

No flattery intended... I'm genuinely grateful.

Well, it's been a worthwhile experience for me too.

You're doing an excellent job.

So I've decided to give you a bonus.

Really?

Partita.

Yes, Master Kyle.

Is this... an A&D Quasar? The limited edition package! What's the story?

The story? It's your bonus, as I said.

But these are so expensive!

I took the liberty of setting it up for you. All you need to do is transfer your AI chip and memory and you can start using it right away.

Really? But... I just bought a new terminal!

Of course it feels great to get a present... err, bonus...

Please use it.

Oh-Okay. But...

I ask only one thing in return. Destroy the North River terminal you are using now.

What...?

Why, Kyle?

I want you to get rid of it.

But... it's practically brand new!

The one I gave you should do just fine, right? You don't need the North River one anymore. Get rid of it.

How can you just tell me out of the blue to...

Kyle, do you dislike North River products or something? Sure, they are a conglomerate, so they don't measure up to A&D in the electronics sector, but parts are easy to find, and...

Ah... forgive me.

You had it right... North River products just aren't for me.

But I shouldn't force my beliefs on others. Forget I said anything.

Kyle...?

In that case... what should I do with the Quasar?

I gave it to you. You can do whatever you want with it. You don't have to throw away the North River one if you don't want to. I'm sorry I brought it up.

I understand, Kyle. I'll gladly accept your present.

I'll use the A&D terminal.

Ah...

And I'll sell the North River one.

But, Chi-Ling!

I'm one person! I don't need two terminals! Mine is still new so I'll get a good price for it.

I can sell it for a lot on an auction site while its value is still high.

You certainly don't overlook anything, do you?

Look, Kyle...

I was taken aback when you told me to throw my terminal away. But I'm delighted with your present-- I mean, bonus... I love it.

Thank you very much, Kyle.

I'm glad you're happy with it.

Now I better earn that bonus today, right?

Yes, please.

Okay, Kyle!

:toot:

I'll start with how to make auto OKEs shoot.

Before I get into shooting for auto OKEs, let's review a little. Do you remember the steps to shooting?

But there is way to handle all three steps with one chip. That's what I'm going to explain to you now.

The lock-on itself will be maintained, so after the Select and Fire Chip finishes shooting, the OKE will resume tracking its previous locked-on target.
The Select and Fire Chip is really handy because it automatically fires on enemies, but... It isn't good for situations where you need indirect fire, such as launching a land mine or aerial mine.
In those cases, instead of a Select and Fire Chip, you need this.

This chip can be used to control what direction mines are launched in.
Shooting with the Select and Fire Chip and Specify Direction to Fire Chip makes you more likely to run out of ammo than with manual shooting.
Not only that, since the more you shoot the more heat you build up, your OKE is more likely to overheat than when shooting manually.

Our mission is to defeat the Norlander, a melee-focused biped OKE.

Just in case :)

Nothing complicated, but the Specify Direction to Fire Chip has an elevation setting as well.

You can't shoot out of your rear end for example! In most cases at least.

We start by checking the range and if we are close enough to the enemy and have any ammo on the stronger weapons. If so we shoot them, and once they run out we start checking for ammo on the weaker ones. Let's try it in combat!

No clue what that Norlander was trying to do turning away from us mid-jump but hey our logic works!

:lol:

We're coming to the end of the lessons! Hang in there a little longer!

It's true! Won't be this update but the tutorial is almost over.

However, in this example. as long as there is incoming fire, the OKE will keep jumping rightward. To prevent that from happening, let's divide the jumps evenly between left and right.

The probability can be set to whatever you want. For example, if you make it 50%...

I have one more new chip to introduce to you.

It's just a visual and sound alert that you can use for whatever situation you program it to play, for example if you are being shot with missiles, if an enemy is behind you, etc, whatever you want really. Our next mission is to defeat a Bad Dream, the vehicle-type tank OKE. Let's use the chips mentioned previously to improve our auto OKE.

Specify Range is nothing new, just the the boundaries using either coordinate system. We can scan for different projectile types as well like beams, missiles but for our case we're gonna use High-Velocity Rounds which cover basically everything except mines. "Ammo" is how many projectiles will be necessary to trigger branching in our logic.

We check if there are any shots in front of us and randomly jump left or right. We're not checking for boundaries or obstacles however. Let's see it in action!

Not bad at all! That Bad Dream had no chance.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

"Fried" is what my enemies are gonna be soon :getin:

Flying type OKEs can hover in the air and move in three dimensions: move in eight directions, change flight altitude, and so forth.
But they have lower durability than ground-based OKEs, and smaller payload. Some flying OKEs, including the Fried, can mount aerial bombs.

There is also a program chip that is specifically for use in flying type OKEs. I'll add that also.

Flying OKEs can't jump, but using this chip, they can move up or down to change altitude. Take advantage of your altitude to harass ground units.

Our next mission is to fight another Bad Dream, but it has aerial mines! We're gonna use a manual Fried for this one and control our altitude with the analog stick, up goes up, down goes down.

We just sit up there and shoot and drop bombs on it and we win pretty easily.

Now it's time for the last one: the hover type OKE.

Hover type OKEs float just above the ground, giving them mobility comparable to flying type OKEs.
However, unlike flying OKEs, hover OKEs cannot change altitude. And they cannot jump like two-legged or multi-legged OKEs.
They have better durability and payload than flying types, but still fall short of ground-based OKEs in these areas. Think of them as a cross between ground and flying OKEs.

Our next mission is to use the hover OKE, the Tripod, against the Fried OKE we used previously.

Logic-wise it's the same as we had on our biped OKE setup except we can't jump. Let's try it out:

It's quite mobile!

I'll make dinner! I'll do a really good job and earn that bonus!

Chi-Ling I don't think your job description involves cooking as well.

Quite a spread of different dishes.

Today Partita helped me cook Taiwanese food.

I used the recipes that Ms. Chi-Ling provided.

In the same way as... when I make tea.

......?

Exactly!

I hope it is satisfactory.

I tasted it, Partita, and it's fine! Nothing to worry about!

Thank you very much.

Let's eat. But... Which dish should I start with?

Any of them. This is homestyle cooking, there's no order of courses or anything.

Homestyle... looks more like a Chinese banquet.

Well, they were all delicious.

I'm so glad to hear you say that! Eat up, Kyle!

There are a lot of different dishes, but each one is small, so I think I can finish them all.

I did that on purpose. "The most delicious thing is variety."

That's an old Taiwanese proverb.

I see. One you follow, Chi-Ling?

Yes.

Kyle... Kyle, I've noticed you smiling more these days.

Eh? You... think so?

Don't you remember the first time I ate with you?

The conversation ground to a halt right away. I felt bad about it.

I suppose you're right. Sorry about that.

No, I'm not blaming you...

I'm just... glad we can enjoy our conversations like this now.

We haven't been discussing anything very important, though.

Random chitchat is important. That's where ideas and discoveries come from.
That's where you stumble on the answers to problems that have been stumping you.
Many researchers are exploring whether a random element should be built into AIs to give them the ability to have "eureka moments" that bring forth the optimal solution.

Fascinating...

Aren't you studying under Deminkov at the university?

Yes, I'm... thinking about getting into designing systems for space missions.
Professor Deminkov's expertise is in manufacturing AI chips and stuff like that, but, through that, she gets to test all kinds of cutting-edge systems.
She's involved with military systems like OKEs, too. I love her seminar, because it gives me access to the latest science.
Although, I'm not formally in his seminar yet. It's more like he's letting me audit the class.

Yes Chi-Ling used both "he" and "she" for prof Deminkov. I'm also confused.

Is that how you became interested in space exploration as a career?

Yes. AI from a "micro" perspective is on an unbelievably tiny scale, pure nanotechnology, so I think it's cool to connect that with the "macro" world of space exploration.
The ultra-small and the ultra-large. Maybe the world is connected at its extremes of scale somehow... I like to think so, anyway.

I see. So that... is your dream?

It's a marvelous dream.

I wouldn't say that! Not a dream, I just... couldn't come up with anything else.

I have my hands full with all the stuff I'm studying right now.

You can do it, Chi-Ling.

Thank you, Kyle.

By the way...

It's the same with OKEs.

What do you mean?

People think of OKEs strictly as weapons of war, but...

Their exceptional versatility could enable them to be used for space exploration without much modification.

In space exploration? Interesting. Auto OKEs, venturing out into the uncharted reaches of space?

Exactly!

There is a peaceful path possible for OKEs. Although, with the world the way it is, they haven't ever really been tried for that purpose.

I hope the day comes when they will be.

I hope so too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Programming a ship to automate space travel sounds like a lot of fun actually. I'm imagining a hybrid of the programming from this game and Kerbal Space Program.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Automated Dyson Sphere Program.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Neurion posted:

Programming a ship to automate space travel sounds like a lot of fun actually. I'm imagining a hybrid of the programming from this game and Kerbal Space Program.

Saying it like that makes it feel surprising it wasn't already a Zachtronics game. NASA programming is some wild poo poo and having a game built more around their style than most commercial styles would be fascinating.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Just straight into it already?

This one chip can determine whether the OKE is moving, attacking, in mid-jump, in defense, even being hit.

If the program knows that this is the situation, it can immediately carry out defense or evasive maneuvers.
With a chip that doesn't involve an action, such as activating optional equipment, it can be performed immediately.
One type of optional equipment allows a shield to be generated that provides an effective defense.
Even if your OKE is being hit and unable to take action, using optional equipment can minimize the damage received.

Let's add one more chip associated with situational assessment.

Using this chip, you can, for example, launch all your remaining missiles when the battle is about to end.
Now let me explain your next mission.

The two drones will not attack at all. So, it's effectively a battle just with a Norlander, but...
There is a possibility that the presence of the drones will alter the situation.
Why? Because software that has no problem running against one enemy may not run the way you want when there are three enemies.

If the enemy is to the right, rotate right...

But when there are multiple enemies, you can have a situation where there are enemies to the right and to the left.

You need to be careful about software that can deal with one opponent but misbehaves when there are multiple opponents.
By the way, you can solve the problem I just described by evaluating "move forward if the enemy is in front of you" before evaluating rotation.

Let's check them out:

We can choose several options like still, move, rotation, defense, special moves, hit, lock-on, optional equipment, etc. The Assess Time Chip is pretty self-explanatory to be honest.

It will not move until after the first 20 seconds of the battle. However in this example it will be able to jump forward or diagonally to avoid gunfire.

Very nice!

It isn't fair that only they get to use multiple OKEs, is it? Starting next lesson, you'll get to form a team too.

LET'S loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY

That's the gist of it! We can have the same OKE card for all three slots if we want, however we can only have one manual OKE in the team.

Although it's nice to be able to have allies, it also creates new problems that you've never dealt with before. Can you think of what those might be?

So there is now a risk of crashing into each other while moving, or hitting your ally with friendly fire while attacking an enemy.
From now on you will have to take those possibilities into account in how your OKEs operate.
But if you are TOO careful about that, your attacks will become ponderous, so you have to strike the right balance.
This is more a thing you have to get a feel for than a thing you can be taught. So for now just make a team.

Will do.

Since we're gonna fight Agrios (Agrioses?) it's only fair that we use Agrios for our team as well right? This is a team of only auto OKEs, so let's sit back and enjoy the action. May the best software win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJR-ng8b84

It was super chaotic but in a fun way!

Real OKE battles are generally team vs team ones like this. You might say that you are finally doing some authentic combat now!

If you attack indiscriminately in this situation, your OKE will constantly be switching between targets, accidentally catching allies in the crossfire.
To narrow down your targets, you need to exploit the lock-on function more fully.

I'm going to add a chip that uses lock-on to scan for enemies.

A good use for it is to scan for the locked-on target's position, then move and attack in reference to that position.
There is another chip that exploits the lock-on feature.

It can assess whether a OKE is stationary, moving, rotating, and so on. It can also determine whether the OKE is hit, etc.

It's similar to the Action Assessment Chip but for targets instead of ourselves.

Using the Lock-On Chip, the Assess Target Location Chip, and the Assess Target Movement Chip...
... you can create programs that are highly reliable no matter what the position of enemy units is.

There are several options like Overheat, Activate Shield, Interlocked and others as well.

We start by checking if we have started the aiming reticle and if not we activate it. Then we try to lock-on to the nearest enemy in a 360 degree angle, then checking if the locked on enemy is more less in front of us, if so we branch to checking what melee attack we should use. If not we will use our normal weapons similar to the logic we've already seen before, but with some chips replaced by the Assess Target Location Chip.

Might as well paint them before the mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8tuz7aTzoI

This time, I will introduce you to two chips that assess the status of your OKE and your locked-on target. First up:

In other words, it evaluates whether your OKE is behind the target you have locked-in, or in front of it, or wherever.

This relative position information is crucial in deciding on what action to take.
Your position relative to the enemy is important, but in team battles, accounting for your allies is vitally important.
The second chip I'm going to introduce to you is for preventing friendly fire against your allies.

Design your program so that if the chip finds an obstacle, your OKE will hold off on shooting as it moves to a slightly different vantage point.
But with shotguns and other area-effect weapons, checking the line of fire is not very effective.

Dang, let's prepare.

There's 3 types of obstacles: Ground Level, Ally OKE and Structure. We're gonna use Any Obstacle for this chip.

Under Reference Part, choose the part that will be the reference for the direction specification: OKE or Turret.

On the other hand, the OKE setting will evaluate based on the facing of the lower body, meaning the legs.
So in the case of the Agrios, the choice is between referencing the way its upper body is facing, or the way its lower body is facing.

Let's see if it can handle 3 Bad Dreams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wF1ZsUMDz8

Not sure what was up with those melee attack misses, not fair at all but hey we won at least.

Yeah, But it definitely takes some getting used to.

I know it does. It's not easy to coordinate multiple OKEs.
But the key to mastering it is the same as ever. Like I've said before, you have to set your ultimate goal clearly, then think about how to reach it.
Getting bogged down in irrelevant minor goals of doing this or that won't get the job done.

I know. I won't forget. So... Chi-Ling, can you hang around a little longer? I want to review it thoroughly.

Sure, no problem. We finished early today anyway. We have plenty of time before dinner.

What should we have today, Kyle? Any requests?

Anything but Taiwanese food, right? Not that I'm very good at Western cooking...

Anything you make is fine.

That's the answer that gives me the most trouble!

Uh... really?

It's just like programming. If the goal is clearly set, you can tackle it from various angles... but if the goal is unclear, you're directionless.

I suppose you're right... Yes, I see what you mean.

If I cook it like this will it taste better? If I cook it like that, will he like it more--?

I think about all kinds of stuff when I cook, but I have to know what I'm aiming at, or I don't know what steps will get me there.
It's easy to cook from a recipe... But if that's all you do, it's like a machine cooking... In that case, what's the point of having a person cook?

So that's how it is...?

That's how it is.

You know what they say... "Cooking is love."

Uh... ah...

What I mean is... umm... generally speaking... it's the idea... that you should put a lot of effort into cooking... that it's, umm... like raising a child.

Oh man we're already having the baby conversation.

I see.

But, honestly, there's nothing specific I feel like eating.

Really? There are so many things I want to eat!

Anyway, I'm sorry, but can we postpone the discussion about the dinner menu? I'm a little hung up on that shooting program...

Oh, okay. If there's ever something you don't understand, just ask!

....Ulp....

Kyle?

It's... nothing. Now about that lesson...

What's wrong...?

Excuse me, Kyle.

Whoa! Such a high fever! Kyle, are you feeling sick?

I'm fine, nothing serious... Let's continue the lesson.

Don't be ridiculous! You're obviously in no shape to go on!
It's much more than just being a little flushed! Kyle? Talk to me, Kyle!!

Partita! Partita, come right away!

I'm here. What is the matter, Ms. Chi-Ling?

You're asking ME, "What is the matter?" Aren't you Kyle's nursing droid? Couldn't you tell he was sick?

I measured Master Kyle's body temperature at 0.7° Celsius higher than normal this morning.

So... so you knew!

Master Kyle ordered me to ignore it. I cannot disobey orders unless the situation is life-threatening.

Exactly. I'm just running... a slight temperature. Nothing of concern.

Give me a break!

*scan noises

I have performed an emergency scan. Master Kyle's body temperature has risen to 38.2° Celsius... 1.6° above normal.

If he's running that high a temperature, he needs to go to the hospital!

I'm taking in plenty of fluids... There's no problem here.

Come to think of it... Kyle, you've been asking for a lot of refills on your tea today!

And you said there wasn't anything you wanted to eat! You've lost your appetite!

The lesson, Chi-Ling... I can still do the lesson. I'll rest later.

You're crazy, Kyle! No way! If you push yourself, you'll just get sicker. Your fever has already risen since this morning!

Didn't I warn you before? What are you thinking?

Ms. Chi-Ling. Master Kyle wishes to continue the lessons.

Partita, how can you take his side...?

Please forgive me. I am unable to disobey Master Kyle's orders.

However...

Huh?

Although I, an android, cannot disobey... You, Ms. Chi-Ling, are a person, and you can.

Partita...!

Partita...! How could you?

I...

I understand, Partita! I will handle this!

Kyle, today's lessons are OVER. You can review using additional data I will send later on.

But for today, I want you to rest! Got it?

Kyle: Whoa! Hey...!?

Pardon me, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Chi-Ling: Kyle ordered you to ignore his illness, right?

Yes.

Chi-Ling: But as long as you do not disobey Kyle's orders, you can obey mine, can't you, Partita?

Yes. Of course.

Chi-Ling: Then first, open that door. Then open the door to Kyle's room. And... I'm feeling thirsty, so please get me some ice water.

Yes, ma'am.

I cannot do that, Master Kyle.

Kyle: What!?

Ms. Chi-Ling's profile has been exempted from my security protocols.
When you had me assist Ms. Chi-Ling with the cooking, you configured me to obey orders from her as far as possible.
Therefore, as long as they do not contradict my master's orders, I am obligated to follow Ms. Chi-Ling's orders, and not to interfere with her actions.

Kyle: On my authority as your owner, I order you to place Chi-Ling Hsu back under your security protocols!

In order to change the security status of an individual, you must provide the 12-digit access code.

Kyle: Mmmmrrrggghhh! Fine then! Chi-Ling, come back! I'm fine! I want to continue the lessons! Chi-Ling!!!

No way, Kyle. Don't do this to me!

Kyle: I am your employer! And I'm telling you to continue whether I'm sick or not!

YOU loving JERK YOU MADE HER CRY

Kyle: ..... Oh come now... you don't have to cry.

But... but...

Kyle: You even told me not to address you as "teacher"...

Don't try to make me the bad guy, Kyle! You're the one who's wrong!

Kyle: ......

Would you please just take a rest, Kyle...?

*fade to black

Partita, is this the way to his bedroom?

Yes. I will open the door. This way please, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Thank you.

Kyle: ......Okay, okay... you win.

Kyle: Gaaahhhh.... urrhhh....

Chi-Ling: Partita! What is Kyle's body temperature?

Partita: It is now 38.4 degrees Celsius.

Chi-Ling: Your fever is rising...! Stop overdoing it!

Kyle: I-I'm fine... just... a little tired... That's all...

Partita: I will go fetch the ice water.

Chi-Ling: Please hurry, Partita, and... And I'm feeling a little feverish myself, so please bring the medical kit too! For ME, you understand?
Cold packs too if you have them. Not for Kyle, of course, but for me. And we need to get Kyle out of these clothes... Umm, let's see...

Partita: I'll get them ready immediately.

*door opens

Kyle: Chi-Ling...

I'm right here, Kyle. Just tell me whatever you need, okay? Besides continuing your lessons, I'll do anything.

Kyle: Ah...... I don't want to be a burden to you... This is too much to ask of... of a part-time tutor...

Don't talk nonsense! You should know I'm happy to help you.

Are you too cold? Too hot?

Kyle: I'm fine. The fever is just making me lightheaded...

I'm sure it is... just rest for now. Partita will bring the cold pack soon.

Kyle: Ugh... I can't believe... how she's acting...

Who, Partita?

Kyle: Going... against my orders... like this...

Partita is worried about you! So she came up with this way of helping me without violating your instructions.

Kyle: ...... I see...

*door opens

My apologies that it took so long. Here are fever medicine and antibiotics from the medical kit. And a cold pack, and a set of Kyle's clothes.

Thank you, Partita. I'll take it from here... Kyle, can you swallow this medicine?

Kyle: ... Yes...

Kyle: Ah...

I'm going to apply this to you.

It's not too cold for you, is it?

Kyle: No... it feels nice and cool... just fine.

Oh, good. Now to change your clothes... Oops!

Your photo frame! I'm so sorry!

Kyle: What is it, Chi-Ling?

Chi-Ling: I knocked it over with my elbow. I'll put it right back...

(Is this...?)

Chi-Ling: I'm sorry! I didn't mean to look at it! But-- This girl kind of looks like... me....

Kyle: Yes... yes she does. Very much like you. Almost a twin.

Chi-Ling: Huh?

Kyle: In fact, when I first met you-- I thought for a moment that she was still alive and standing right in front of me.
Of course... I knew it couldn't be true.

Chi-Ling: Kyle...?

Kyle: She's dead. I saw her die.

Chi-Ling: !?

Kyle... Kyle! Calm down!

Kyle: I... could... do.... NOTHING!!! She was cold... and I couldn't even hold her tight... I... I... I...

K-Kyle? Oh...

He seems to have fallen asleep. I believe the medicine has taken effect.

Ah... I see.

When Kyle loses consciousness, my priority shifts from following orders to protecting his health.
I have sent an urgent email to his dedicated medical staff. They will be here within 30 minutes. Thank you, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Uh... no problem. You did a good job too, Partita.

Much obliged.

Umm...... The girl in that photo... Kyle said that... she died. Right before his eyes. And that he couldn't even hold her.

Regarding that matter, Ms. Chi-Ling, I regret...

I get it. You can't talk about that. It's fine.

Yes.

I have prepared a car to take you home, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Huh?

Oh, uh, right. Since the doctors are coming, I won't be needed here...

I don't want to be a bother. I'll just go home, yeah.
When Kyle wakes up, tell him I said to take care of himself.

I will do so.

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 23, 2022

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Big Scary Owl posted:

Chi-Ling: I'm sorry! I didn't mean to look at it! But-- This girl kind of looks like... me....

Kyle: Yes... yes she does. Very much like you. Almost a twin.

Chi-Ling: Huh?

I agree, Chi-Ling: Huh? How does this lady look like her twin…?

All jokes aside, I really like the dynamic they’ve started to develop between the three characters. The Partita/Chi-Ling friendship is particularly cool.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Come from the programming, stay for the VN.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I do appreciate how the solution to this week’s romance drama is programming manipulation. Extremely appropriate.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Please do. I've been expecting you.

*door opens

So... how are you feeling? I heard from Partita that you are on the mend.

The fever abated two days ago. I could have come out to greet you, but Partita was... stubborn.

I am currently prioritizing the instructions of the medical staff. The probability of a relapse is well above the threshold where it can be discounted.
Under the circumstances, I concluded that remaining in your room with its controlled environment is the optimal choice.

You made your point. Look, I'm doing what you wanted!

Anyway, could you make us some tea, Partita?

Yes, but only for you, Ms. Chi-Ling.

OH poo poo SHE'S REBELLING

Huh? Why?

What did you say? What do you mean by THAT?

After searching medical databases, I determined that ginger tea is more suitable for Master Kyle at this time. I will bring it shortly.

Fine, whatever you're going to let me drink, go ahead and bring it.

Yes, Master Kyle.

*door opens

She has been fussy like that all this time.

She's not being fussy. She is just worried about you, Kyle.

...?

It's like I told you before... She is trying to help you in the only way she knows how.
She's not some dumb machine. She's an SR-class android. Her consciousness closely approximates that of a human being...

What do you mean, you told me before?

Huh? Don't you remember?

Well, I guess you were feverish at the time, so maybe you don't.

I've never had a fever so bad that I just forget things. I've only seen this in anime and whatnot.

Sorry, but I don't remember much about that day after the lesson. I heard that you helped take care of me...

I barely did anything.

Seriously, nothing...

But in any case, whatever you did, I'm fine now. I hate to rush you, but I'd like to get back into the lessons.
I'm behind schedule and I'd like to make up time if possible.

S-Sure, we'll get started.

Start up your terminal and connect to the server.

Right.

*beep sound

It's going to get harder starting with today's lesson.
You should clear out your server.

What do you mean?

Well, think about it. As the lessons go on, the training missions become more complex, right?
The simulation program needs a lot of memory to run. If the server is tied up, it will perform sluggishly.

Then you will lose realism, and the simulations will be pointless.

You don't need to worry about server load...

Are you sure?

I'm certain. I'm using a, er... high-performance... server.

You are?

Whoa, whaaaaat?!?

What in the world is THIS, Kyle?

What are you talking about?

You know what I'm talking about! This is crazy!
I just checked the load on the simulation program... What kind of server do you HAVE!? It's barely even noticing the load!

Where do you get that kind of memory capacity? And the datacom bandwidth--!

(I've never heard of a server this powerful. Even someone as rich as Kyle couldn't...
You have to have multiple emulators running at once for the specialized OKE system software to run on... it's computationally intensive any way you slice it...
Even Professor Deminkov's Bandit 3 couldn't handle a load like this so effortlessly... Wait... could it be...?)

(It's NOT an emulator... it's hardwired, military-spec... optimized for OKE simulation...
But the only military machine with that kind of horsepower is...)

*typing sounds

You're... you're using the SATLOKE server?!?
This... this is SATLOKE's... a goverment server used for researching OKE tactics and technology. K-Kyle!!

Chi-Ling.......

Forget about this.

Huh?

Pretend you never saw it.

W-Why? How can this...?

The SATLOKE server is no garden-variety system. It's a one-of-a-kind mass of military secrets!
No matter how much money you have, they are not going to let ANY civilian use the SATLOKE server!

Regular people can't get access to it.

You're mistaken. With enough money, one can obtain an ID and password that will allow it to be accessed.

With enough money... but not legally, right?

No... not legally. And that's why I want you to forget about what you've seen.

B-But that's... How could I ever tell anyone about this?

You'd be arrested, Kyle!

And--so would l! I've been using this server all along in teaching you the lessons... making me involved in hacking a military computer!

You didn't know. You were simply deceived by me. Always were. Will continue to be. Do you see? That way, no one can pin any blame on you.

A-Are you serious?!? And... and... Why are you doing this!?

Because it was necessary. This server is used at SATLOKE for actual OKE performance testing and tactical analysis.
The physics engine was designed especially for that purpose. All the weapon performance data is 100% real-world, of course.
This is the ultimate environment for learning to operate OKEs. It allows simulations that are almost indistinguishable from actual combat.

To go that far... Kyle, why do you need to learn how to operate OKEs?

Answer me, Kyle!

Because I must. Because I must be ready and able to actually take OKEs into battle.

And I will use any means necessary.

Kyle...

I... actually... I already knew it... somehow...

That... you were up to something... dangerous... Kyle... But I couldn't...

I didn't want... I refused to believe it...!

What you refused to face...

...is the truth.

......!

There are truths we do not want to believe. That we cannot believe.
But--even if we avert our eyes, even if we sweep it under the rug... the truth remains. It is inescapable.

Kyle...?

If only I could forget all the truths I've had to face...

Chi-Ling, please. You know nothing. You saw nothing. Please?

But...

It is a cruel thing I ask, but I beg you. Forget all this... but continue with the lessons as before.

I beg you, Chi-Ling... I... I need your talents.

......!

To put it to me that way... is really... manipulative...

Maybe it is.

Argh, I'm sorry. That was too selfish a request.

Thank you for everything up to now, I--

I've made my decision.

What, Chi-Ling?

Kyle, I'm your... your tutor... and so... I will continue the lessons. Let's get started, Kyle.

HOORAY FOR CRIMES!

Thank you, Chi-Ling... Thank you.

Chi-Ling (narration): It was wrong, it was trouble, but I couldn't turn down his request. And once I knew that he was... concerned for my safety, I not only promised to keep quiet...
I even continued giving Kyle the lessons. Because that was the only thing I had to offer him.

Oh boy.

You don't look too enthusiastic there Chi-Ling.

The weapon's destructive power is small, but by stopping an OKE's software from running, it makes it a sitting duck for other weapons to attack.
One point to keep in mind is that it stops an OKE's program, not its actions, While the program is shut down, actions already underway will continue. Don't forget that.
Now I'm going to explain to you about Special Rocket Launchers.

One note about EMP guns is that the faster CPUs get stunned for longer which creates an interesting balance decision and forces players to not always pick the fastest CPU. There's also special armor that you can equip to deal with EMPs as well.

If you wait until the last second, it will be too late, so as soon as the Scan for Projectiles Chip detects a missile, your program should launch the Flying Decoy.
Also, the flying decoy has no effect on missiles that aren't locked-on to your OKE. A flying decoy cannot prevent a stray round from hitting you by chance.

Make good use of the electromagnetic pulse gun and flying decoys to complete the mission.

Sure thing boss.

That "stumble" is detecting whether the locked-on enemy has been stunned/fallen over or not, and if so, we stop shooting the EMP and pump it full of lead. Or explosives. Or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrrs2SCcPm4

So now I'm making it possible for you to upgrade to a bigger CPU with more space for chips.

:woop:

Sub-program areas are a place where you can assemble small programs that you want to run repeatedly. To use them, use the chip I'm about to tell you about.

Using the sub-program area keeps your program more streamlined when you have blocks that you want to run over and over.
And I have one more handy function for when you are designing software. I've added macro functionality to Software.
Macros are chunks of programs. If you often use a certain arrangement of chips, you can save them as a macro, for easy reuse in another program.

That's all there is to it but it's a really handy tool to have.

For example, launching land mines against a flying type OKE is completely worthless. So you need to adjust your tactics to the opposition.
I'm going to introduce a program chip that allows that flexible response.

It can distinguish the particular model, such as Agrios or Fried, or the type of OKE, such as two-legged or multi-legged.
Using this chip, you can make your program respond to the characteristics of your enemy.
But no one program can handle every type of OKE opponent. If you try to write one that does, it will quickly become bloated and overly complicated.
The ideal is a program that won't have problems against any enemy. So use the Assess Target Code Chip only when absolutely necessary.
I have another new chip for you this time.

Let's see how the example programs does it:

Instead of scanning for a particular model, we are checking if the enemy type is a hover OKE, if not we will use the death sphere mines against them (no point in using such a slow thing against such a fast OKE).

And here if we are being locked-on by more than one enemy we will check if there's any enemy towards the northeast or northwest and if there isn't we dash towards that direction. Let's check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qKIAX1kUgc

I like the idea of the hover-type using quick melee attacks but it seems to have caused more problems than anything in this case.

We're not quite there yet though.

This time, we're going to focus on your opponent's weapons.

For example, if the enemy OKE has a weapon that your OKE is vulnerable to, you can prioritize destroying that weapon.
Here is the chip you can use to target a specific weapon instead of your opponent's OKE generally.

But even if you target a specific weapon, unless your opponent is stationary, you won't be able to hit it. But guided weapons like missiles have a better chance.
So there is no need to target weapons all the time. Only when it would prove very advantageous to destroy that weapon is it worth trying.

You can choose from all weapons types like cannon, railgun, hand grenade, land/aerial mine dispenser, EMP, shotgun, etc.

This checks if the enemy's second weapon is destroyed or not. If it's not destroyed we target it. We aren't checking for what type of weapon it is, only if it is destroyed or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLP0tGOjGxA

We'll end here for today. Good job, Kyle...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Honestly can’t notice any difference with the “target enemy weapons” program. It looked like once the enemy got hit at all they just got chain-tumbled until exploding, just like any time a hoverer gets missile’d.

It’s also kind of weird how they included practically human-complexity androids in their plot about programming simple robots with only a few dozen logic components each.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean committing crimes is cool and all but I think that Kyle's looking to do war crimes, which are in the realm of uncool crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Programming and extremely bad life decisions, two tastes that go great together.