Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Orlando Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Jakarta, heard they love communists there

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

NYC is one of the most diverse places in the world, if you don't like NYC you're probably racist and definitely antisemitic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it was a joke about racism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyway Boston's MBTA is probably like in the top 2-5 subway systems in America which is absolutely loving hilarious because it sucks rear end

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

fart simpson posted:

yes it’s a very nice city to visit. would recommend

🆒

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

1) Boston
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

good start to a list of most racist cities

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

NYC is one of the most diverse places in the world, if you don't like NYC you're probably racist and definitely antisemitic

or not bankrolled by a wealthy daddy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

SorePotato posted:

seattle would be higher than boston

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
arent all cspammers from seattle

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

NYC is cool, it has so much.... stuff

did u know they call corner shops bodegas?

only in new york 😂😂😂

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

‘If one had but a single glance to give the world, one should gaze on Istanbul.’ – Alphonse de Lamartine

‘Istanbul is a magical seal that unites Europe and Asia since ancient times. Without a doubt, Istanbul is certainly the most beautiful place of the world.’ – Gerard De Nerval

‘If the Earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital.’ – Napoleon Bonaparte

https://twitter.com/psy_oppa/status/304463904166252544

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

loquacius posted:

Objectively best city I've ever lived in is probably Providence mostly for food reasons

it's on the MBTA commuter rail, it's on Amtrak, it's less horribly gentrified than bigger cities tend to be (damning with faint praise), and it was mob-owned for decades leading to some fantastic Italian food options

plus all the rich douchebags in Rhode Island got honeypotted to Newport

Providence is a horrific lovecraftian armpit lmao

the food is good but idk if it’s worth the sense of dreary decay and putrefaction

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I met a cute chick in Istanbul and we went to the Princes' Islands for a swim and that water was fuckin' nasty, just garbage everywhere.

★★☆☆☆

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

loquacius posted:

Objectively best city I've ever lived in is probably Providence mostly for food reasons

:distonk:

quote:

No cheese? Rhode Island's 'red strips' are an odd take on pizza

The scene: Great American Bites has tried many of the nation’s regional pizza specialties, from New York to New Haven style, Chicago deep dish to Detroit pan, ultra-thin cracker-crust St. Louis pizza to crispy Neapolitan classics. But perhaps the most unusual – and least known – major style is exclusive to Rhode Island. While it is virtually impossible to find outside the Ocean State, "bakery pizza” is ubiquitous within its borders.

As the name suggests, this style of pizza is found not in pizzerias but in bakeries, including the bakery section of just about every supermarket in the state. But it traditionally comes from small Italian bakeries, which also sell a stunning variety of cakes, cookies, breads and often calzones or other stuffed dough products in the pizza family. Some even sell more traditional pizza, too. But bakery pizza is the constant, and while every place does it slightly differently, the first thing that sets it apart from all other kinds of pizza we’ve tried is that it is almost always served just as you find it – at room temperature.

Reason to visit: To fill a void for pizza lovers.

The food: Bakery pizza is so odd that those who are not from Rhode Island might even argue that it doesn’t meet the basic definition of pizza, since it generally lacks one of the three main elements: cheese. So, if it’s easier for you think of it as focaccia, go ahead, but either way, try it. It is a very satisfying, even slightly addictive comfort food. In fact, it reminds me of one of the world’s great regional delights, something I had for breakfast just about every day in Spain: “Catalan tomato bread,” a thick tomato sauce served at room temperature which you spread on sliced bread with some olive oil and devour.

Basically, Rhode Island bakery pizza is a rectangular tray of baked dough covered with tomato sauce. It has a thicker crust than most other pizzas – but thinner than New York Sicilian-style pizza – and the sauce is very thick, almost a paste. Some places sprinkle a little grated cheese on top, but you can forget about a layer of melted mozzarella.

To confuse matters, many locals don’t even call it bakery pizza – they simply call it “red strips,” because the sheet-pan-size pizza is cut into rectangles. The major variant, which is not nearly as popular, is “white strips.” At DePetrillo’s Pizza & Bakery, one of the most respected venues for the style, they offer both. DePetrillo’s is one of the standard bearers for Rhode Island bakery pizza, but also sells hot triangular “regular pizza” slices and a mind-boggling array of calzone flavors. They also sell “pizza chips,” which are basically snack-size versions of red strips on much thinner squares of crust. These are brilliant, the pizza lover’s answer to potato chips. Less interesting is their more recent addition, “homestyle pizza," which is basically a red strip cut into squares with some grated cheese.

Their red strips are classics, and have a crispy bottom and even crisper edge, very similar to good Detroit-style pizza – except served at room temperature, and topped with a simple but seasoned thick red sauce and nothing else. The white strips have a spongier, oilier crust, more like typical focaccia, and are topped with nothing except olive oil, (very good quality) grated cheese and some herbs. I prefer the red, but you might as well try a slice of white if you stop in.

DePetrillo’s has four locations, all clustered in an arc west and south of Providence. The flagship is in Warwick, which is convenient to Providence as well as major tourism destinations Newport and Narragansett. Also in Warwick, and very easily reached from (or on the way to) the city’s T.F. Green Airport, is Antonio’s Bakery, with its own very solid rendition of red strips.

Another major player is D. Palmieri’s Bakery, which many believe is the state’s oldest. It opened in 1905 in the traditionally Italian Federal Hill neighborhood of Providence and has since relocated to Johnston. But you don’t have to visit the main production facility to try the bakery pizza, as it is carried by Dave’s Market, an upscale statewide supermarket chain. It is thicker with less sauce than DePetrillo’s take on the genre. The combination makes it breadier and less tasty, more like tomato-sauced bread – but it still hits the spot.

Stop & Shop is a much bigger regional supermarket chain in the Northeast, and in its Rhode Island stores they too carry red strips in the bakery section, with small quantities packaged in clear clamshell containers and larger portions in plastic bags. This is the most widely available version in the state and is very popular for parties and sports-watching at home. Stop & Shop, which makes their own, does a surprisingly good job. However, in all cases, the plastic-wrapped or otherwise sealed supermarket versions lack the crispness of strips from independent bakeries, which are usually just loosely covered in wax paper or wrapped to order.

Another famous spot is Colvitto’s Pizza & Bakery, which is in a Narragansett strip mall, befitting its red strips, which are unusually served warm. I asked why, but the staffer behind the counter just shrugged. Other than temperature, the slice was very similar to DePetrillo’s, which is to say exemplary, a tasty crust with very thick and cheeseless red sauce. The warmed-up red strip was delicious, but the white strip wasn’t cheesy enough and was not heated up. Go figure.

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

what the gently caress this looks revolting

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I lived in Providence for five years and never saw that poo poo once

I think to have it inflicted on you you have to be a kid in a suburb with lovely suburban parents

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Has anyone had a Chicago style deep dish pizza? I've been thinking of a trip over there to stock up.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SorePotato posted:

How can it be the most racist if we haven't even started listing Croatian ones.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
probably that one city in nepal that's really into juche

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ya this is america we don't have public transportation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

that functions*

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
mystic river was not a good movie

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
what if instead of the best cities we just made a list of all cities, op?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

“From”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cuttlefush posted:

im jeff bezos

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Boston #1 baby go sox

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Has anyone had a Chicago style deep dish pizza? I've been thinking of a trip over there to stock up.

caught fire but it's still pretty tasty

CHICAGO
The city that has it all: terrible, memeable mayor

Innovations in segregation

Da bean

These guys
pick your own CPD horror montage

Wet beef

and most importantly of all: drinking water for a few more decades longer than everyone else.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Shanghai is split between districts named after the european colonial powers that cooperated in failing to control china so its pretty cool as a monument to western failure

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

AnimeIsTrash posted:

1) Boston
2) Zagreb
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

feeling the urge to probate another page of boston lan thread posters

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
philly
mexico city
some place in hong kong never been there but i bet its cool and has hot girls

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
PITTSBURGH

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Vladivostok

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Singapore seems nice for the people who aren't part of the indentured servant class.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Boston invented racism and i think you all owe us a debt of gratitude

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

any city which has ferries as part of the metro is pretty cool

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

post COVID posted:

any city which has ferries as part of the metro is pretty cool