Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which is the best slogan?
Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.
Peace Through Power
Kane Lives In Death
Rule of thumb, Hassan. You can't kill the Messiah.
View Results

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I was stuck on one mission in the GDI campaign for OVER A loving DECADE from how badly the patches hosed over the campaign. :argh:

It's not impossible, you just got to be really loving good at RTS games.

So, uhh... good luck, Jobbo! :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SoggyBobcat posted:

I was stuck on one mission in the GDI campaign for OVER A loving DECADE from how badly the patches hosed over the campaign. :argh:

Pretty sure I can guess which one lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI 01: Prologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_H20uCbkVk
GDI 01: Prologue

March 2047, the world has sunk back into an uneasy peace following the death of NOD's leader, Kane. The presence of the terrorist group across the globe has diminished drastically, to the point where GDI leadership is considering transitioning from peacekeeping to terraforming as its main priority. However, General Granger (No, not that one, thinks otherwise. A bus being used by NOD was recently discovered, and blown up by its own shortly thereafter. Investigate the area, commander... let's see what is truly hiding in the shadows.

Somewhere in the North Carolina badlands. [Exact Position REDACTED for OpSec]

Objective: Investigate the area - Eliminate all NOD presence

Briefing: A suspected covert NOD cell has been discovered in the North Carolina badlands, with the owner killing himself alongside their cargo. Investigate the area of the... accident. Find NOD, Destroy NOD.

Author's note: A strange intro to a campaign, considering we just went through a tutorial mission. It is also hard to complete without the ending macguffin by design, which feels counter-intuitive to me.

Name: Lt.Gen. Jack Granger
Aliases: Old Ironsides
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Michael Ironside

With over 2 decades of combat experience, he knows when NOD is playing possum. Never willing to let his guard down, he sends the Commander the presence of NOD in the North Carolina Badlands.

Name: Lt. Sandra Telfair
Aliases: None
Voiced/Played by: Grace Park

Acts as aide to Lt. Gen. Granger, providing valuable intel on the current whereabouts of NOD forces. Assists the Commander in a similar role.

Name: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Jennifer Morrison

Unknown, provides intelligence to the Commander.

Rifleman Squad
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: GD-2 Assault Rifles
COST: 300

Rifleman Squads are the mainstay of GDI ground forces, capable of digging foxholes to protect themselves - and other infantry - when defending a position.

Author's Note: As you might expect, this is our Generic Infantry for GDI. Useful as meat shields, I guess :shrug:

Missile Squad
RANGE: Medium
WEAPON: FGM-90 Launchers
COST: 400

Missile Squads, the natural counterpart to Riflemen, provide essential support fire. Their heavy anti-vehicle weapons make them slower than Riflemen and thus vulnerable to enemy attacks.

Author's Note: Fewer units in a squad and a higher cost make them important units to protect.

Engineer
RANGE: N/A
WEAPON: N/A
COST: 500

Engineers can capture enemy facilities, repair GDI structures and damaged bridges, and commandeer fallen [REDACTED]. Due to their slow movement rate and vulnerability, however, it's a good idea to offer them protection whenever possible.

Author's Note: Another familiar unit making its return.

MCV
ARMOR: MCV
COST: 3500

The Mobile Construction Vehicles (MCV) was invented to provide GDI with a mobile base at a moment's notice. MCVs can be seen packing and unpacking into Construction Yards.

Author's Note: Now with the ability to re-pack itself by default.

Harvester
ARMOR: Harvester
WEAPON: Autocannon
COST: 1400

GDI Harvesters are easily recognisable by the light machinegun mounted above the cab, used to ward off marauders that might wish to steal their precious cargo.

Author's Note: How very Soviet of you, GDI.

Orca
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Orca
WEAPON: Various (A2G) Missiles
COST: 1100

The Orca is effective in a variety of roles including scouting, fire support for ground operations, and direct strikes on enemy installations. It can be outfitted to increasing scouting capabilities.

Author's Note: Now with the ability to scan its immediate area for foes.

Construction Yard
ARMOR: Heavy
COST: N/A
POWER PROVIDED: 10
PURPOSE: Unlocks Production

The heavily-armored Construction Yard doubles as GDI's forward base. It can pack into an MCV, affording it mobility, but needs to be protected at all costs. The Construction Yard provides radar capability to GDI bases.

Author's Note: As with other C&C games, it is central building to any base.

Power Plant
COST: 800
POWER PROVIDED: 20
PURPOSE: Provides Power

GDI's Power Plant provides clean, efficient energy for their forward combat bases.

Author's Note: Provides power, appears to be upgradable in the two open slots on the building's foundation.

Refinery
ARMOR: Medium
COST: 2000
POWER USAGE: 6
PURPOSE: Converts Tiberium into Funds

The GDI Refinery is highly effective at processing Tiberium into useful resources. The Refinery comes with a Harvester included and is essential to funding GDI's military efforts.

Author's Note: Necessary for base building and unit production.

Barracks
POWER PROVIDED: 5
PURPOSE: Trains Infantry

The GDI Barracks is a self-contained recruitment and training centre. GDI infantry divisions can be outfitted for combat quickly and efficiently here.

Author's Note: Needed to produce the most basic forms of infantry available to the GDI arsenal.

Command Post
COST: 1500
POWER USAGE: 9
PURPOSE: Unlocks Technological Upgrades

The Command Post is an essential component of an advanced GDI base. It can scan remote locations and is required to build key structures.

Author's Note: Useful to progress in later missions.

Airfield
COST: 1000
POWER USAGE: 8
PURPOSE: Houses Aircraft (4)

GDI Airfields support ground operations in combat zones. Each Airfield contains up to four aircraft.

Author's Note: Provides you with the ability to deploy aircraft in the area of operations.

Watchtower
ARMOR: Medium
COST: 600
POWER USAGE: 5
PURPOSE: Anti-Infantry Base Defense

These tall structures with a good line of sight and rapid firing, automated anti-infantry machineguns ensure the security of the base against hostile threats.

Author's Note: Provides light defense for a base or outpost. Only useful against infantry.

Tiberium Silo
POWER USAGE: 0
PURPOSE: Provides storage capacity for Tiberium

The Tiberium Silo, made of special materials that allow long-term storage, is the perfect storage facility for excess Tiberium.

Author's Note: One day, these won't be necessary.

Foxhole
ARMOR: N/A
COST: 100
POWER USAGE: 0
PURPOSE: Man-made garrisonable structure for 2 infantry squads

Created by infantry with the Dig In ability.

Author's Note: An interesting holdover from Red Alert 2, via the Guardian, but with a better end result.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's a little bit of audio screwery at the start, it shouldn't happen for following videos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good news is, this tutorialization does drop off sharply once you're out of the early part of the campaign IIRC.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Good news is, this tutorialization does drop off sharply once you're out of the early part of the campaign IIRC.

Yeah, its just a very weird process of going through a tutorial, just to get a tutorial. It makes me think that either the tutorial (as seen in the first video) was added afterwards, or that something goofy happened during development and they needed the extra mission to fulfill on a commitment or forgot they built a tutorial mission already.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's good to see that Lieutenant Rasczak has been promoted to General Granger. The introduction manages to dodge quite a lot of "as you know"-ness but it's still pretty bad.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Why do I not remember Dr. Cameron moonlighting?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Strategic Sage posted:

Why do I not remember Dr. Cameron moonlighting?

Probably because at least one other person in this upstages them.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Yeah, I think this was supposed to be the tutorial, then the handed it to sombody who had literally never played an RTS before, and realized they needed a tutorial that spelled out basic commands, unit selection, how to produce things, ect.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

NewMars posted:

Probably because at least one other person in this upstages them.

Can you fly, zone troopers?

E: seriously, the best thing about returning to this series after all these years is realizing just how much star power they pooled into these goofy rear end b movie cut scenes they filmed.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Ah here we go, finally. My absolute favourite C&C game. The peak of the series of you ask me.

Re: the infamous mission being super hosed over by balance patches, another one of those that hosed that mission over:
After the balance patch the Watchtower ended up with shorter range than the Nod rocket troopers.
E: Obviously this is an annoyance not just for that mission but in general, as it makes the Watchtower basically useless.

So I hope you found the mods to undo the balance changes Jobbo!

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 10, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xarn posted:

I think every modern RTS game has learned this, but yeah, people took a while to figure this out.

I've been playing Age of Empires 4 and it is jarring but not bad that the campaign factions are not the same as the skirmish/MP factions. Gives me confidence that they haven't borked any scenarios.

I don't know if any other RTS really managed to wreck their campaigns like CNC3 did. Like Age of Mythology's balance patches are absolutely insane but I think none of them radically change the campaign difficulty even if they radically changed people's tactics.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD 01: Prologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9k4ya6SRg
NOD 01: Prologue

March 2047, the world has sunk back into an uneasy peace following the death of NOD's leader, Kane. The presence of the terrorist group across the globe has diminished drastically, to the point where GDI leadership is considering transitioning from peacekeeping to terraforming as its main priority. An unnamed NOD Officer(?) declares the wellbeing of the Brotherhood and preaches the gospel of Tiberium... but is that all there is to NOD's command structure?

Goddard, Maryland, USA. Heart of the North-Eastern American Blue Sector.

Objective: Infiltrate the Goddard Space Center and destroy the A-SAT Command Center.

Briefing: The time is at hand to strike the decisive blow that will start the Third Tiberium War. Destroy the Command Center, set into motion the Brotherhood's Victory!

Author's note: A better intro to a campaign than it's GDI counterpart, eschewing base building for action and unit control.

Name: Unknown
Affiliation: NOD
Voiced/Played by: Tricia Helfer

Officer or leader of the Brotherhood of NOD in the absence of it's leader, Kane. Eager to spread the gospel of Tiberium, and devoted to unraveling its mysteries.

Name: Kane
Aliases: Caine, Jacob; al-Quayym, Amir
Voiced/Played by: Joe Kucan

The man known only as Kane is the supreme leader - some might say messiah - of The Brotherhood of NOD. Kane epitomises the fine line between genius and madman, so it's little wonder that the world seems to be polarised either for or against him. His followers believe that he prophesised the existence of Tiberium, yet his actions seem to belie hidden agendas and megalomaniacal impulses.

Name: Ajay (Arjay?)
Voiced/Played by: Josh Holloway

Ajay is NOD's military planning expert. A brilliant intelligence officer and a cunning tactician, Ajay has repeatedly proven his ability to create blueprints for complex - and very successful - military operations. An experienced soldier, Ajay is never far from the front lines where his brothers fight to execute his plans.

Militia Squad
RANGE: Short-Medium
WEAPON: Various Chainguns
COST: 200

Poorly trained but numerous, these lowly soldiers of NOD are armed with aging, 20th Century chainguns.

Author's Note: Cheap, expendable, NOD.

Militant Rocket Squad
RANGE: Medium
WEAPON: Airburst Rocket Launcher
COST: 400

Although armed with rocket launchers capable of destroying aircraft and armoured vehicles, Rocket Militants are still extremely vulnerable on the battlefield.

Author's Note: Similar to the GDI version.

Saboteur

The Saboteur can capture enemy structures and instantly repair NOD facilities and bridges. He is also equipped with explosives that can be planted on neutral structures and detonated when enemy forces draw too close.

Author's Note: Differentiating itself from the GDI version, the Saboteur is more orientated towards booby traps/explosives.

Shadow Team
WEAPON: Dual Machine Pistols
COST: 800

These infantry units can use stealth and their collapsible glider packs to circumvent defences and expose weaknesses in GDI's front. Once behind enemy lines, they can plant explosives on structures.

Author's Note: An interesting take on a strike squad capable of infiltration and sabotage.

Fanatics
WEAPON: Tiberium-based Explosives
COST: 700

NOD Fanatics are equipped with volatile explosive devices that detonate when in close proximity to enemy forces. Fanatics are impossible to suppress and must be eliminated before reaching their targets.

Author's Note: I called them terrorists, and that's not really incorrect. The benefit here is that they aren't single units, making it easier to use.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hello Thread!

Votes!

Where shall NOD strike first?

A) The White House

or

B) Andrews AFB

First to 3 wins

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Andrews Air Force Base. Better to take the actual military objective first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Andrews AFB.

There actually are some small differences in either mission based on which you do first.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
The White House

Jobbo, there was a time limit in the bottom left of the screen all mission.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mr_stibbons posted:

The White House

Jobbo, there was a time limit in the bottom left of the screen all mission.

Lmao I'm blind.

That timer sucks, why would they ever put something there!?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:pcgaming:THE MOTHERFUCKING WHITE HOUSE:boom:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AFB

Let's give the white house some time to build up the anticipation

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You disappoint me going for a piddly little air base when the very seat of power for countless imperialist regimes, the very representation of the old faithless world is right there for the taking!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I can't believe Kane The Philadelphia is dead

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, I think the reason Kane is revealed so quickly is simple: it's the Tiberium series. This series is shackled to Kane as a character. They know you want Kane, so here's Kane.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
As a return to the franchise and pseudo-reboot, it definitely feels like they should've emulated Tiberian Dawn far more with its story queue. There's something about immediately blowing up the Philadelphia instead of a mission or two of buildup and an eventual reveal of Kane.

Talking of loyalty and devotion, why wouldn't a proper tutorial involve surviving, on the run, as the NOD forces. Knowing you have no way of surviving unless you run. Show the NOD player building up in the ruins of some unknown base, only for it to turn into an ambush/betrayal by a defector of the cause. After having learned base building, the utility of the harvester, power, and unit production, the base is attacked. At first, its done by Orcas, which you can't retaliate against as you only have the capacity to build Militias.

The base then comes under attack by air-dropped Infantry Squads, their rapid-response teams. Since you have limited troops and no base, your objective becomes escape, into the tiberium fields of the yellow zone you currently inhabit. You learn about the dangers of Tiberium, GDI destroys whats left of the base. The infantry give up the chase, but Orcas continue to patrol, only to fall into an ambush of your own as Rocket Soldiers shoot from a garrisoned building (and are evacuated after the kill to become player controlled).

As you continue to run, you come across some Tiberium lifeforms, find the NOD cell you originate from, fade to black and cutscene. Cutscene shows horrors of Tiberium, both from the NOD and GDI perspectives, gives you an early reason to be for NOD as they destroy your stuff, but gives the counter-point of "Wow, NOD is kinda hosed up, huh?"

Into the campaign you go.

Instead of holding on the return of Kane, which you knew was coming if you watched the trailer (or knew the series) where you could give him a better lead up to his speech on loyalty and tenacity. Hell, we're called the Legendary Insurgent immediately, but I never had to evade GDI forces, perhaps infiltrate the base myself as a Commando (per older games) and neutralize something of value? All I'm saying is the story as presented merits an extra two levels, at the minimum, would be relatively short, and can serve as lore dumps for how we got to where we are with Tiberium, rather than "Oh yeah we have a three-color zone system and not much data on the intervening moments since Tiberian Sun."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cythereal posted:

Also, I think the reason Kane is revealed so quickly is simple: it's the Tiberium series. This series is shackled to Kane as a character. They know you want Kane, so here's Kane.

Kane is revealed because Kane owns and I'm playing this game for Kane.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

PurpleXVI posted:

Kane is revealed because Kane owns and I'm playing this game for Kane.

Same. Kane rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BJ18SruEz8

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Kane lives in death!

Let's go to the Andrews AFB, and castrate some, uh, planes? I guess?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The whole time I was playing the NOD campaign and Ajay came on, I always thought "hey, everyone, it's TV's Josh Holloway, from the hit ABC show Lost! *canned audience cheers*"

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 11, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The AFB

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nod is not an abbreviation! :argh:

I remember completing this game once, then never again. Same with RA3. They just didn't do it for me like the any of the older titles. The units felt too floaty, the art direction became very haphazard, and neither felt very enjoyable to play. Everything having abilities you had to manage felt too Blizzard-y for me, which was fine, but not really what I wanted out of my C&C. Ah well.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Please tell me the character is actually referred to as “Old Ironsides” in game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
AFB

THE BAR posted:

Nod is not an abbreviation! :argh:

I remember completing this game once, then never again. Same with RA3. They just didn't do it for me like the any of the older titles. The units felt too floaty, the art direction became very haphazard, and neither felt very enjoyable to play. Everything having abilities you had to manage felt too Blizzard-y for me, which was fine, but not really what I wanted out of my C&C. Ah well.
Ideally a comparison to be saved for later, as we've seen very little of what C&C3 has to offer so far, and none of RA3.
But personally I maintain that C&C3 is the gameplay peak of Command and Conquer as a whole. There's some unit abilities, yeah but they're not exactly vital to use. Again, I'll return to this when I can make comparisons to
[REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED]

But as far as an example I can give, we can see in this video that Fanatics, and the Militia Squads of the rifle and rocket varieties all have one ability, and that it's the same one for all three. And it's hardly some essential gimmick you need to master.
We haven't actually seen it used, so I'm not going to say more, but of you watching can probably infer what it does from the icon.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 12, 2022

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

What is the 2019 incident that the little intro lecture here refers to? Never been able to figure that out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HannibalBarca posted:

What is the 2019 incident that the little intro lecture here refers to? Never been able to figure that out.

According to a timeline I found online that I will not be checking for other stuff, here is the entry for 2019.

quote:

Jack Granger joins GDI.

:tinfoil:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Jack "Jester" "Roughneck" "Old Ironsides" Granger

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The C&C wiki suggests that's a mistaken date because EALA had the tiberium timeline wrong, but that doesn't really clear it up :v:

there's a guess on the wiki but that's all it is

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Y'know, I never really cared about canon. It was kinda-sorta fun when games would give a Nod (ha-ha!) to older games, but I always thought of games as being standalone. I never thought of there being an actual narrative aside from an excuse to get us to the next mission.

Groetgaffel posted:

But personally I maintain that C&C3 is the gameplay peak of Command and Conquer as a whole. There's some unit abilities, yeah but they're not exactly vital to use. Again, I'll return to this when I can make comparisons to
[REDACTED], [REDACTED], and [REDACTED]

I thoroughly agree with this. The graphics were great, and the gameplay felt good. The waypoint stuff is so easy to use that I would actually use it.

I just never got the hang of doing that RTS thing properly, where you keep producing units and keep expanding. I'm too passive-ish, in that I'll build a few units, zoom the camera around it so I can admire it, and then try and save up for a few more, and then get wrecked because the other guy built multiple refineries and multiple harvestors, and got a ton of units out.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I'm with Jobbo Fett on team Tiberian Sun, and for the same reasons. Tricia Helfer always annoyed me in this game, but for reasons that have yet to be revealed.

And that was before I saw her in Burn Notice.

On the canon that's just .... I mean half the fun of the games IMO was seeing what the characters would do next. Particularly when you had none other than James Earl Jones as one of the luminaries. I think particularly the early-game cutscenes of the game before this one in the Tiberium timeline were quite good for their time. I just felt all that took a step back here. The opening NOD cutscene that we've seen just has 'trying to hard' written all over it from my perspective.

But people like different things, and all that.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Has the cutscenes always stuttered this much?