Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

shirunei posted:

i dunno why you want to use the sun since it is so far away. there's a poo poo ton of oil left here why do we gotta use the sun?

the logistics to get all that sun 91,000,000 miles to earth would be insane. maybe we could take a chunk off the sun and bring it closer to earth? that'd probably be a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Need some buns for all these hot dogs ITT.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It sounds like a good idea but I live in the UK so I don’t think it’ll get a lot back on my investment

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sporkstand posted:

Looked into getting solar panels earlier this year but my house doesn't have enough southern-facing roof space to make it worthwhile :(

you don't have to put them on the roof, you can do wall-mount stuff. or ground if you have the property space.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
A guy from the city came yesterday afternoon and turned on the solar so today is my first day of actually using it, check this poo poo out I've already planted a loving tree!!!!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

I read somewhere that a giant sun blocking mirror in space is actually a pretty good solution to global warming. And you can do things with the reflected sunlight, like power a moon base or something. Idk sounds less stupid than relying on anything else. The guy who was talking about it was a real scientist too, not some looney, so who knows might be something there.

Mr. Burns for president I guess.

:hmmyes:

Weirdly shooting a buncha trash into space to blot out the sun really is the most reasonable TYOOL 2022, nearly 2023 solution.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Nooner posted:

Do you think there are angry rednecks out there somewhere that are all pissed off about solar panels like they are about electric vehicles?
What kind of question is this? Solar is objectively good so I have to assume the default position among benighted eleven-toed rurals is to bitterly hate it, sabotage it, make up all kinds of outrageous lies about it and then successfully pass laws based on those lies? etc etc etc etc

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I sell solar, so naturally I think solar is great, although not everyone gets the full benefit of it.

The power companies are hella mad about it usually.

Being insulated from price hikes owns tho

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

aioli is just mayo posted:

I sell solar, so naturally I think solar is great, although not everyone gets the full benefit of it.

The power companies are hella mad about it usually.

Being insulated from price hikes owns tho

Wasn't there a company working on making colored solar panel siding for houses?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Huh. Just looked at my state, no taxes on panels and with the infrastructure changes there's a fed discount of 30% on panels under a certain amount.

Neat. I don't own but I may be able to convince the owner to do so.. too good of a deal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I think wind turbine generators are stupid and it makes me sad to know that Donald Trump agrees with me. I guess that’s not relevant to the OP but I guess we could put a solar panel on the windmill and then I could hate them both together. I also hate the OP for making my think about this on a Friday evening where could have been doing other things.

I’m sorry, that’s not true, I don’t hate anyone but I do hate those loving wind generators.

What’s the problem?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the sun only shines 1 day a year where I live, and on that day, the temperature is 116 degrees. so unless the panels can absorb all the energy they need for the year on that one day, i don't think it's gonna work out for me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just put everyone on a treadmill and cure obesity whilst making green energy at the same time

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

A guy from the city came yesterday afternoon and turned on the solar so today is my first day of actually using it, check this poo poo out I've already planted a loving tree!!!!

Put this hippie in a barrel of crude oil. :clint:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My poo poo posts will blot out the sun

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i'd never really paid attention to solar panels before and just absorbed the idea that they were a waste of money which now i realise must be getting put out there by power companies

shouldn't governments just be offering to pay for the production and installation of these to anybody who wants them?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

roomtone posted:

i'd never really paid attention to solar panels before and just absorbed the idea that they were a waste of money which now i realise must be getting put out there by power companies

shouldn't governments just be offering to pay for the production and installation of these to anybody who wants them?

lol. nearly all the energy on earth comes from the sun homie. even fossil fuels

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

roomtone posted:

The technology has advanced a lot in the last ten years and it’s understandable to have not updated your data on it constantly. It’s like how yeah electric cars were novelties for sixty years, then niche douche cars for like eight or ten, and now you’re gonna have trouble finding a new gas car in ten years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also it kinda depends on which state you're in, some states make it really lovely for solar owners. For example, florida and alamaba have pretty much intentionally hosed over home solar installation.

Which is gonna be really funny in 50 years when florida is underwater.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
what about just constructing massive solar fields out in the middle of nowhere? is that happening?

edit: it took two seconds for me to look this up and see that it is

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

roomtone posted:

what about just constructing massive solar fields out in the middle of nowhere? is that happening?

good use for nasty rear end brownfields here in Jersey too.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Klyith posted:

Also it kinda depends on which state you're in, some states make it really lovely for solar owners. For example, florida and alamaba have pretty much intentionally hosed over home solar installation.

this is the poo poo I'm talking about

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

all the energy on earth comes from the sun op. hope that helkps and best regards,

nuclear power doesn't come from the sun and neither will fusion once we get that up and running., so why don't you put that in you pipe and smoke it, hot coco

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

roomtone posted:

This is actually a really interesting question; and yes they are out there. Vast acres of solar panels in the middle of deserts. A couple questions come up though.

One is the power transmission, if your field is producing a poo poo ton of power you have to make sure the electrical grid you are tying it to can handle transmitting that power 100 miles to the local metropolis. Literally talking about wire size on transmission towers and the capacity and capabilities of sub-stations along the way.

Second one is cleaning the dust off the panels. There is a field south of Las Vegas. I forget the town's name but it's one of the southern towns in Fallout4. It's actually a reflection matrix that uses mirrors to target a water tower and use the super heated water to run turbines. I think several big name companies and even celebrities got in on it. It works, but has at best only achieved about 80% of what it was expected to produce; usually less. The problem is dust from the desert and pollution from Vegas severely compromise its capabilities. The facility needs full time crews cleaning the field to keep the reflectors operating as best as possible. The same is true for solar electric; gotta keep the dirt off the panels.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I have a semi-redneck coworker that looked into to it, more to "get off the grid" than anything else.

I can't even remember the total number of panels, but it was something like 40. His house is over 3k sq ft, and that's what they recommended to be completely off the grid.

And like the total price came out to something like 70k. I understand it's an investment, but is that typically the total cost you've guys seen? (No clue what wattage the panels were or anything like that. It may have been 56? panels)

My house is tiny and would be great for it, but I'm surrounded by giant trees. I had a solar sales person come to my door and said they could easily get the trees cut down. I politely declined.
This is Virginia.

e- oh hey, i'm a nap ghost, apt, but why for

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 15, 2022

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
Even small-scale solar owns, I live in an apartment and picked up one of those portable setups for camping with a panel/battery/inverter. I can just unfold the panel on my balcony and harvest like 2kwh a day for free which is enough for almost all my electronics. Since it's not a permanent install and doesn't hook into the wiring/grid, you don't need an electrician and you don't need to deal with building management bureaucracy over trying to share a rooftop install.

If I didn't have shading from the building itself for half the day I could basically run my air conditioner for free during summer.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Haverchuck posted:

What kind of question is this? Solar is objectively good so I have to assume the default position among benighted eleven-toed rurals is to bitterly hate it, sabotage it, make up all kinds of outrageous lies about it and then successfully pass laws based on those lies? etc etc etc etc

IDK, I think solar has a lot of appeal among rural people, because solar cells can be an important part of an off-grid energy system. When I went vacationing in rural Missouri a couple of years ago, the guy who ran the canoe rental company and drove the shuttle bus to and from the river was talking about outfitting his home with solar.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Buce posted:

the sun only shines 1 day a year where I live, and on that day, the temperature is 116 degrees. so unless the panels can absorb all the energy they need for the year on that one day, i don't think it's gonna work out for me.

do you live in op's rear end in a top hat?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

IDK, I think solar has a lot of appeal among rural people, because solar cells can be an important part of an off-grid energy system. When I went vacationing in rural Missouri a couple of years ago, the guy who ran the canoe rental company and drove the shuttle bus to and from the river was talking about outfitting his home with solar.

I live in the country and a lot of people out here have solar. In fact, all of the Amish around me have it because it somehow doesn't break the rules.

I've been waiting for mine to be installed since August but the power company apparently takes 1-6 months to process your request because you essentially have to register as a power company here if you want to have a grid tie-in.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

Even small-scale solar owns, I live in an apartment and picked up one of those portable setups for camping with a panel/battery/inverter. I can just unfold the panel on my balcony and harvest like 2kwh a day for free which is enough for almost all my electronics. Since it's not a permanent install and doesn't hook into the wiring/grid, you don't need an electrician and you don't need to deal with building management bureaucracy over trying to share a rooftop install.

If I didn't have shading from the building itself for half the day I could basically run my air conditioner for free during summer.

Which device/package are you talking about?

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

Nooner posted:

First, congrats on your successful installation! It's exciting and pleasing to see that electricity being made without really having to actively do anything.

I have a similar installation, or maybe it's similar, not sure of your capacity; my monitoring is slightly different but does name similar parameters as yours: output now, output for the day so far, output for the month, lifetime output, pound of CO2 saved and equivalent trees planted.

One bit of yours doesn't add up, though; you've had it 1 day, have produced 9.5kWh (which is good for this time of year, depending on where you are), but it shows your lifetime output at 105kWh. How does that work?

Other things: people ITT have talked about dust being an issue, but when mine was being installed I asked about that and they said dust doesn't really affect the output. I don't know how that could be, but that's what they said.

Maybe the mirrored array that boils water is more sensitive to dust?

Also, although the feeling is that once the system is installed you just have to sit back and let it work, I had my inverter go out earlier this year, and it was over a month before I noticed there was a problem and almost another month until they could get the spare part and get the system back on line. (I've had it for 5 years now. 6.3kWh today, which was sunny for a while then real cloudy.)

So be sure to verify that your system is producing power daily, or however often you're comfortable checking. It sucked missing that free sunlight.

Welcome to the club!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Guineapig posted:

Also, although the feeling is that once the system is installed you just have to sit back and let it work, I had my inverter go out earlier this year, and it was over a month before I noticed there was a problem and almost another month until they could get the spare part and get the system back on line. (I've had it for 5 years now. 6.3kWh today, which was sunny for a while then real cloudy.)

I was worried for a while because every time I checked my inverter in the evening it would say the daily production was something garbage like 2kWh.
I cleaned the panels with the hose and the instantaneous production always seemed to be reasonable based on the amount of sunlight and cloud cover.

Then eventually I worked out that the clock on the inverter was wrong and it was resetting the "day" at around 1600. The panels were fine.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

nuclear power doesn't come from the sun and neither will fusion once we get that up and running., so why don't you put that in you pipe and smoke it, hot coco

you're right, i made a slightly different post the secxond time upon realizing this. also tidal power

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

blight rhino posted:

And like the total price came out to something like 70k. I understand it's an investment, but is that typically the total cost you've guys seen? (No clue what wattage the panels were or anything like that. It may have been 56? panels)

ours was 20k for 14 panels, house is like 1800sqft i think. We can never go "off grid" because our electric company cuts you at 75% usage solar so you have to buy the other 25% from them (with excess generated "sold" back at 1/2 the price they charge you) which is extremely bullshit imho. Apparently if you had signed up a few years ago it was a lot better but then electric company realized they werent making any money from people who got solar so CAPITALISM stepped in and saved the day to make sure you still have to buy energy even though you are generating it for free.

Guineapig posted:

One bit of yours doesn't add up, though; you've had it 1 day, have produced 9.5kWh (which is good for this time of year, depending on where you are), but it shows your lifetime output at 105kWh. How does that work?

yeah that confused me too, i chalked it up to first day error that will probably sort itself out once the database has more to go on. idk if it doesnt sort itself out in a couple days gonna call the company and see what's up.

Also just read that we figured out how to do a fusion real good so im probably gonna look like a huge sucker in a few years still using energy from the sun like a loving caveman

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nuclear fission is still from a star because radionucleides are originally formed in enormous stars and require more star-spawned poo poo to keep the party going even in the case of breeder reactors. Just not this one. Wrap it up, coaliures.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nooner posted:

ours was 20k for 14 panels, house is like 1800sqft i think. We can never go "off grid" because our electric company cuts you at 75% usage solar so you have to buy the other 25% from them (with excess generated "sold" back at 1/2 the price they charge you) which is extremely bullshit imho. Apparently if you had signed up a few years ago it was a lot better but then electric company realized they werent making any money from people who got solar so CAPITALISM stepped in and saved the day to make sure you still have to buy energy even though you are generating it for free.

Someone should do something about this capitalism thing before it causes any more problems imo

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Calculators had solar panels back in 1743 (approx.) so why the eff can't $hellphones have them. Like onboard. I know you can buy solar chargers. Nope next phone gotta have better camera hurp durp. Buddy i download all the pictures I want from the internet allright?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Costco Meatballs posted:

that was in the movie, more than a decade after the Simpsons stopped being good.

edit: no I'm dumb that was a dome. dumb dome dummy.

I was elected to lead, not to read.

Internetjack posted:

This is actually a really interesting question; and yes they are out there. Vast acres of solar panels in the middle of deserts. A couple questions come up though.

One is the power transmission, if your field is producing a poo poo ton of power you have to make sure the electrical grid you are tying it to can handle transmitting that power 100 miles to the local metropolis. Literally talking about wire size on transmission towers and the capacity and capabilities of sub-stations along the way.

Second one is cleaning the dust off the panels. There is a field south of Las Vegas. I forget the town's name but it's one of the southern towns in Fallout4. It's actually a reflection matrix that uses mirrors to target a water tower and use the super heated water to run turbines. I think several big name companies and even celebrities got in on it. It works, but has at best only achieved about 80% of what it was expected to produce; usually less. The problem is dust from the desert and pollution from Vegas severely compromise its capabilities. The facility needs full time crews cleaning the field to keep the reflectors operating as best as possible. The same is true for solar electric; gotta keep the dirt off the panels.

They jack it up to 500kv and send it across the mountains to San Diego/LA area.

I thought the tower used molten sodium that runs a steam generator or something. I know dust is a big problem for the PV farms in the imperial valley area so they use plentiful desert water to clean them.

Good on you for giving the finger to the power company.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It does make sense to have some kind of basic charge for a grid connection, even if you are producing on net. As you may have heard, once or twice, solar panels don't work all the time. If you have a robust battery storage system it might be a different story but even there, part of the payoff for those systems is buying cheap power when all the industrial poo poo is off and people are in bed, and using it at peak times.

Now if you're producing a LOT on net - like twice your consumption - I would say it balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I use the sun, to brown my buns. :yosbutt: