Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

CoH is the only MMO I ever enjoyed, and I downloaded homecoming thanks to this LP. Spent about two hours in character creation so far, no actual gameplay yet tho, lol.

In high school I'd constantly design new characters in the creator but never play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
playing CoX with goons is probably the most fun i had with an MMO. put way more hours into EQ/WoW, but CoX is probably the one i had the most concentrated fun in. getting a group of 8 people, setting the difficulty to max, and either bulldozing or getting bulldozed by enormous pulls of enemies

i think the only character i got to 50 on was The Honorable Senator McCarthy, Thug/Poison Mastermind. named most of the thugs after members of the mccarthy committee, but the big motherfucker end thug? Ronald Reagan. because obviously

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I had a Grav/Storm Controller back in the day named The Flying Suit, burying the villains in the stormy gravity of paperwork. I'm in the background of one or two of the big goon CoH screenshots and I have nothing but fond memories. If you need any rando team partners for a mission or two I'm happy to hop on any of my villain/vigilante characters and help with anything.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wait, COH's shutdown was a Decade ago?

Goddamn Time flies.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

Wait, COH's shutdown was a Decade ago?

Goddamn Time flies.

:ohno:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I remember getting this game back in like '06 or '07 I think, and playing with one of my co-workers. One of the first and only times anyone in real life called me "master sord".

Ah memories! I'm tempted to jump on but I'm out of space at the moment.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
This game owns. I seem to remember the writing quality/coding for missions in CoX really jumping in quality a few years before the shutdown, but CoV always had higher quality writing than CoH, in my opinion.

I had a Robotics/Force Field Mastermind and casting the two single target force field buffs on every single one of my bots (plus any teammates I would be with) and making sure that they stayed up at all times was a loving nightmare. Often, by the time I'd gotten done setting the last force field up, the first one would need to be replaced. The absolute dopamine rush I got from siccing all my bots on some poor unsuspecting Longbow operative with the press of a button was always worth it, though. I've never found any game that had a class that played quite like the Mastermind, which is a real shame.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Good news on that score, the force field basic power now bubbles everyone at once with one click.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
MMOs tend to address major balance and QoL issues.... eventually. It always takes ages. I played early EQ and it was awful - I'm vaguely ashamed that I played it. The game was so punitive, so glacially paced, there was only one healer class that was worth a poo poo... of course, it took them years to address any of it.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
God, CoX was pretty much the only MMO that successfully convinced me to constantly subscribe to it, up until it's shut down. I still remember most of my characters: Flint Hadows, dual pistol wielding detective for the PPD, with some magical powers over the shadows to help him out. Simon Fawkes, beam rifle wielding mercenary loaded with traps, and willing to sell his services to the right bidder. Seth Weston, dual wielding cowboy also bearing some traps, and a former villain, now working as part of Hero Corps in Paragon City. And finally, Kharn Bloodaxe/Bloodege, wielder of stupidly huge objects, and a former overlord who constantly got foiled in his world, and decided to try his luck in Mercy Isle. Guess that didn't pan out either.

Did Homecoming ever implement the Gadget Belt pool power? It was something my "normal" characters could've used.

Edit: Turns out I accidentally blended Gadgetry and Utility Belt together.

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So when people settled on CoX for what to call the pair of MMOs, this was an absolutely deliberate choice of phonics, right?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Gadget Pool and Sorcery Pool do exist in Homecoming.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

So when people settled on CoX for what to call the pair of MMOs, this was an absolutely deliberate choice of phonics, right?

yes 100%

Retroflex Ejective
Sep 8, 2013
Hell yeah! Such a great MMO.

Played City of Heroes for years back in the day. But quit before ever getting a single max level villain despite having about a dozen max level heroes.

The whole dark and gloomy art direction of the Rogue Isles just didn't do it for me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I should note a slight correction regarding the tutorial; villains no longer have to be broken out of jail, rather, they share it with heroes now in the now effectively nuked Galaxy City.

That's right, the new tutorial features the rarely visited Galaxy City getting utterly borked, by new Shivans to boot, and your character has to fight their way out of there. Near the end, you get to make a choice which makes you either hero or villain, and fight a huge Shivan boss (who's kind of actually not that strong for his size).