Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 4: Forest Temple :siren:
:siren: Part 4B: Kneecaps Broken Successfully :siren:

We begin the adult dungeons by heading to Forest Temple and we get a taste of what MQ's true power level looks like, albeit augmented by me missing that eye switch for like 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Was Nimpize the one where you had to jump across the pillars in the Iron Knuckle room?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Was Nimpize the one where you had to jump across the pillars in the Iron Knuckle room?
I believe so, yes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think the dungeon bosses are technically in a separate map from the rest of the dungeon. They're also notoriously hard to change by romhackers, which means the MQ devs prob didn't even try.

All the bosses are the same as in vanilla.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think the dungeon bosses are technically in a separate map from the rest of the dungeon. They're also notoriously hard to change by romhackers, which means the MQ devs prob didn't even try.

All the bosses are the same as in vanilla.

So far the only change to the bosses in Master Quest appears to be that some of them take a few more hits to kill. Volvagia seemed to need like one or two extra hits, and Morpha... well... we don't talk about what Morpha did to Artix :ssh:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

If nothing else this LP has led me to appreciate the craft of the dungeon design in the vanilla game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 5: Fire Temple :siren:
:siren: Part 5B: Ice Cavern :siren:

It's a double dose of dungeons today as we encounter fire of both the hot and cold varieties. Both dungeons make the...interesting choice to make half of their areas completely pointless, but in different and exciting ways!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh right that's what bothered me! Like a full third of the Fire Temple is just...optional. One or two rooms is normal and expected but such a large section that's empty except for a couple collectables just struck me as an odd design choice. But since I am the absolute worst at that race to the hammer anyways I didn't really question it beyond that

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
And this is as far as I remember of my own MQ playthrough from years ago.

Not having to do that staircase run to get the hammer is nice.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Did you forget to activate the scarecrow as adult?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

We’ll remember eventually!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

gotta pay the boulder tax every time you go through a hallway in the ice caves, that's the law

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Another option for places where Navi just inexplicably hangs out all green is the song of storms to spawn one of those ghost fairies w/o wings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

Another option for places where Navi just inexplicably hangs out all green is the song of storms to spawn one of those ghost fairies w/o wings.

I can promise you, Artix will never bother to try and play any ocarina songs wherever Navi turns green and just hovers for seemingly no reason.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Aren't there spots in either the original game or master quest that have Na'Vi Turns Green spots that due to developer oversights, don't mark anything

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Craig K posted:

Aren't there spots in either the original game or master quest that have Na'Vi Turns Green spots that due to developer oversights, don't mark anything

Places where Navi turns green in the original game, from what I can remember, are fairly rare and usually either Zelda's Lullaby prompt spots like in the Water Temple and the Graveyard or Scarcrow's Song prompt spots. I think Master Quest adds the Song of Time into the mix, given how its cup runeth over with Time Block puzzle bullshit, but I've seen at least two instances where Navi turned green and Artix tried Lullaby, Scarcrow and Time and none of them worked so :shrug:

Master Quest is really half-assed and runs on loving Steiner Math logic at times, okay.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Master Quest is why I don't mind later Zelda series "hard modes" being you take double damage and other minor modifiers.

Shifting treasure chest rewards around and adding ghost blocks, hookshot targets and different enemies isn't terribly exciting.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Time blocks are also in the vanilla game and work the same way (green midair Navi). And as mentioned, a green Navi can also signfiy a spot where you can spawn a Health+Magic refill fairy by playing either the Song of Storms or sometimes the Sun's Song.

The Scarecrow variant of green Navi is tricky because not only do you need the Scarecrow active for them to work (that is, after making up the song as child, go back to Lake Hylia as adult and play the song to the visible Scarecrow there), the actual spots that are valid for triggering a Scarecrow appearance do not directly correspond with spots from where Navi turns green. So if you've tried everything and nothing worked, it's likely that it's a Scarecrow but you're just not in the right spot for it to trigger.

I'm not aware of any spots where Navi just turns green for no reason, but I wouldn't rule it out that one exists somewhere in the game. But yeah, the game is pretty inconsistent about what you actually need to do when Navi turns green...

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 12, 2023

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Anyone seen the rom hack Gold Quest? It's a Master Quest version of Master Quest!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I watched ZFG play it at some point and literally the only thing I remember is that it has 200 gold skulls for some reason???

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not aware of any spots where Navi just turns green for no reason, but I wouldn't rule it out that one exists somewhere in the game. But yeah, the game is pretty inconsistent about what you actually need to do when Navi turns green...

The only one I can think of is the one in vanilla Ice Cavern, I think it's in the first freezard room? Might be the spinning scythe room but either way there's one early on that doesn't seem to do anything.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 12, 2023

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: Water Temple :siren:
:siren: Part 6B: 6000% Speed :siren:

The Water Temple is the one dungeon that was supposedly improved in the transition from the original game to Master Quest. I'll let you be the judge of that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:allears: The windmill.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly the realization that everyone in Kakariko is drinking diseased water explains a lot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly the realization that everyone in Kakariko is drinking diseased water explains a lot

So here's a question: how loving abhorrent were the Skulltula family that of all the people in Kak, THEY were the ones that got singled out for a curse and the rest didn't?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

So here's a question: how loving abhorrent were the Skulltula family that of all the people in Kak, THEY were the ones that got singled out for a curse and the rest didn't?

Living on corpse water sounds like a curse to me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Doe the windmill somehow... use water to function...? And speeding it up consumes all the water real fast?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like that, thanks to cranking the speed up, the windmill spinning like a crazy motherfucker somehow wasn't fast enough to pump all the water out of the well.

We had to make it go faster.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

nine-gear crow posted:

Ok so hear me out...the family knew about the diseased water and since they were the only ones with money to fix it and didn't, that's why they were cursed. It's a completely lovely curse because it doesn't solve the problem but it fits since literally no one in Hyrule is capable of fixing problems besides whatever version of Link is running around

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Doe the windmill somehow... use water to function...? And speeding it up consumes all the water real fast?

They use the windmill to pump the water from the well, clearly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

A lot of Dutch windmills were used for land reclamation by pumping water out. Obviously Ablative is right and the well is on a natural (corpse-filled) spring and they need to drain the water away lest the village floods.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

they kept being snooty jerks and refused to drink the corpse water. fuckin rich snobs, turn them into spiders

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

appreciating the orange piccolo form in the latest update

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

appreciating the orange piccolo form in the latest update

Orange Piccolo is forthcoming. Water Temple/Bottom of the Well prep Piccolo is "Driving Test Episode" Piccolo:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: Bottom of the Well :siren:

I'd love to say something witty about BotW but you can only make the corpse water joke so much before it runs dry.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Gotta love how vanilla bottom of the well is lousy with hidden chests, while MQ has none that I could see.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Any time someone says that Master Quest is a pointless waste of time, I'm just gonna think back to that Wallmaster in the Redead room and ignore them :perfect:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
It was almost as good as ice chests.

Almost.

So, place your bets!

Will the Shadow Temple have a pointless back half like the Fire Temple?
Will it have removed ~90% of the puzzles like the Water Temple?

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Weeble posted:

Will the Shadow Temple have a pointless back half like the Fire Temple?
Will it have removed ~90% of the puzzles like the Water Temple?

Will it have more hilarious wallmaster grabs? :roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m curious about one shadow temple master quest moment puzzle because I remember it was the only thing I had to look up when I was stuck (although might have just been short patience due to MQ)

The flame maze in Fire temple was a part I remember being obnoxious, so the fact that you skipped it has me confused. I think it had silver rupee collection? Was the 3DS Master Quest a different version or am I just having hazy memory from 8 years ago?

E: checked an FAQ and i think all the bullshit that haunts the fringe of my memory is from shadow temple. Good luck y’all

Fellis fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2023