Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hobologist posted:

Nah. I remember an essay by Lin Yutang about why libraries shouldn't be organized: "Organizing a library is a science, but disorganizing it is an art." You look for a volume high and low and left and right, find half a dozen other books you also want to read while you're searching, and when you find the book you've genuinely found it, as opposed to merely locating it, or you wonder if you lent it to someone or got rid of it. Your library should be like a great city that always has a street you've never been down before and you never know what you'll find there.

This is a very romantic attitude, I agree. But drat, if I'm in a hurry and need to find a particular book, I'd prefer our current method! haha :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lending books is "based"

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Libraries are like fish tanks. You can't just keep adding water; you have to drain and replace some of it eventually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

lending books is "based"

I lent a guy a book and he moved to Helsinki with it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Major Isoor posted:

drat, with all the people simply having unsorted piles of books, we really need a goonproject for everyone to overhaul their sorting methods! :v:
Ah well - it's much better to have many unsorted books, than no books at all!

you say unsorted, i say emergent organization based on use

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I'm a school librarian so I'd love to say I follow rules that make sense with my own books at home, but size is always gonna win out with personal collections...
The best I have is a shelf that is almost entirely Junji Ito manga, but there wasn't enough for the whole shelf, so there's some random novels around those, but then my edition of Junji ito's Cat Diary and his artbook are way too tall and both ended up on two other shelves nowhere near eachother. I have another manga shelf going and I keep changing my mind on alphabetical by title, alphabetical by author, or trying to group by era. I've been doing the last option because it works out nicely having it go in a vague decade order since half my collection is old stuff like Tezuka, Rose of Versailles, etc. and then some new stuff.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Right now I'm down to one bookshelf with one shelf being mostly nerdy tabletop wargame rulesets, a second shelf of mostly nerdy reference books (Haynes manuals on spaceships and tanks, a book of things cut in half by a water jet, etc), and the third shelf is just random crap.

Back in the day though as a weird kid I had all my Calvin & Hobbes and Farside books arranged by publishing date and all my Star Wars and Clive Cussler novels sorted by when they're supposed to take place in their respective timelines.

Once I get some more space, I'll probably just chuck books in however I feel at that moment.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I used to be a pile, but I organized into genre a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. nonfiction/politics, fantasy/scifi, cookbooks/textbooks, manga/graphic novels, western "canon" lit, and international lit.

fun when I'm having a different mood to go between sections

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

I used to be a pile

Ugh, that's a pain in the rear end.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
First by genre/topic.
Second by author.
Third by date of publish.

Then, when I inevitably run out of space in the bookshelves, wherever the gently caress I can stack them.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i have shelves for my arkham house/gnome press/sword & sorcery 1st editions, art books get their own shelves by genre, then s&s paperbacks, rpg, occult, then just misc old editions or cool bindings. i pretty much only display my collection or related books, not everything is valuable but it's all interesting to look at on a shelf.

normal books i read i just read on kindle and dont usually buy physical copies.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I do keep all my Penguin Classics on one shelf

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

do you have two editions of don quijote, or is it just split in two unnumbered volumes? also some real chaotic poo poo placing another book between karamazov 1 and 2

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have two Don Quixotes. I have not reaphabetized them in a while and I always grab these editions when I find them in thrift stores so they're a little random

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It appears you actually have 3 don quixotes dude

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I guess the abridged one in the portable Cervantes counts

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Dons Quixote

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

It appears you actually have 3 don quixotes dude

the sex ghost posted:

Dons Quixote

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
The first bookcase visitors see if they are foolish enough to enter my apt is for the ones with leather/"leather" covers, so it looks impressively snobby until they read the titles.

The rest of the fiction books are alphabetical by author, then by title for the stand-alone novels, then the series are in order of occurrence. If the author wrote multiple series, they are by length of series (short to long). I only sort by size if I'm packing boxes for moving.

. . . yes, I do like being able to put my book away without turning on the lights.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The bookcases in the study hold the books I've read, in alphabetical order, following the following rules:
- If it's a part of a series, by series and then by series volume if it exists, by author if the series doesn't use numbers
- If not, by surname of author or first author (not counting vons, des, vans, etc.)
- If the author(s) are not listed on the cover or front leaf, by title, not by editor(s)
- Original language before translations, and translations in following order: Finnish, English, Swedish, others who knows
- Numbers in numerical order before letters
- Other symbols before numbers and letters (so the first book is one from the !-series)
- Large books go in the Expedits, in same order
- W gets alphabetized as V where appropriate (e.g. Waltari goes in the Vs but Wallace goes in the Ws)

The bookcases in the living room hold the books I haven't read:
- One Kallax for English-language books I've bought, received as gifts, or otherwise acquired with intent, organized by size
- One Kallax for Finnish-lanauge books I've bought, received as gifts, or otherwise acquired with intent, ornanized by size
- One big Expedit with books I've inherited, organized via Tetris

Other:
- Swedish-language books go behind other books (Kallax and Expedit are both deep enough for this), same with German and French (until I manage to read them)
- Donald Duck's Pocketbooks and Tex Willers also (after I've read them)

Reference works have their own small bookshelf in the study

Goal is to use the living room shelves for other storage as well. Optimist that I am, I bought some cabinet doors and drawers to go in them already, ready to install as I read more books. Also have some unassambled Billys at the ready for the study.

It's all very sane.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Mostly by 'what shelf do they fit on', but my housemate legit uses Universal Decimal Classification, but she also has a shitload more physical books than I do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Tallest to shortest, a display book cover forward, then shortest to tallest. Non-fiction on the left, fiction on the right.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Doctor Yiff posted:

Mostly by 'what shelf do they fit on', but my housemate legit uses Universal Decimal Classification, but she also has a shitload more physical books than I do.

Wow, your housemate is dedicated! drat, I'm kinda wishing I had the drive to go that far with my sorting scheme! :D

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Usually by genre and then author but not in alphabetical order.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chainchompz posted:

Usually by genre and then author but not in alphabetical order.

I used to organize roughly by genre but there are way too many outliers.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Heath posted:

I do keep all my Penguin Classics on one shelf

The almost-but-not-quite-alphabetical order is physically painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Enfys posted: