Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

When I went for my first checkup using my current health insurance plan, the nurse started by asking me a bunch of questions about my medical history and other stuff related to my health. One of the questions was whether or not I'm a smoker, or have ever been in the past, to which I replied that no, I've never been a smoker, although I have occasionally smoked a cigar here and there at special occasions like weddings and poo poo, in case that's important for the doctor to know. Probably a lifetime total of fewer than 10 cigars. I should have just said "no" and left it at that, because this answer was apparently enough to convince her to check the "yes" box next to "has a smoking habit". Now every time I go in the doctor asks me if I still have a smoking habit and Kaiser makes sure to text me every month or so about programs they have available to help me quit. I've tried to tell them many times that the nurse misreported my answer and I've never been a smoker, but I think they just think I'm a smoker in denial or something. It kicks rear end.

you're lucky your rate didn't go up. health insurance providers are legally allowed to charge you up to 50% more if you are categorized as a smoker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Earwicker posted:

you're lucky your rate didn't go up. health insurance providers are legally allowed to charge you up to 50% more if you are categorized as a smoker

Yeah, I've wondered about this. Maybe my company is paying more for me because I'm a "smoker"? Doesn't affect my wallet but I guess it could make me more likely to get fired if I'm ever on the chopping block next to someone without this scarlet letter.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
When I was selling insurance, the definition of smoker was "four or more times a week in the last six weeks." If this is not you, just say you're not a smoker.

Also, Ashton VSG 4 life

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

cigars seem more like an affectation to me than anything

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Cigar smokers insist upon themselves

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is this yuo?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Love a good cigar with a few drinks. I smoke a few a year these days, just when the mood takes me or when with other cigar smokers.

Just a nice, chill thing to do for a bit with nothing else going on.

H. Uppmann Connie As my favourite.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why does cigar smoke smells so vile while pipe tobacco smells amazing? Why aren't they rolling cigars from pipe tobacco?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cigars are great. Dont get them very often (mainly like weddings and fhe like). Usually get Nicaraguan cigars. They're pretty good and wont break the bank like cubans will.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got a scrimshaw zippo in a leather zippo holster for smoking cigars. Its thr special occasion zippo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Some coworkers and I used to sneak out of work and smoke cheap gas station cigars down by the river. We'd try and walk around to air out, but we would alway stink up the elevator when we came back into the office.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
> Why are Cuban cigars so coveted?

Cuban cigars have gained a reputation for being highly coveted for several reasons:
  1. Tradition and Heritage: Cuba has a long-standing history and tradition of cigar making, dating back centuries. Cuban cigars are seen as the pinnacle of craftsmanship and expertise due to the country's rich tobacco-growing heritage and the skilled techniques passed down through generations of cigar rollers.

2. Climate and Soil: Cuba's unique climate and soil conditions are believed to contribute to the exceptional quality of its tobacco. The combination of warm temperatures, humidity, and fertile soil in the Vuelta Abajo region, located in the western part of Cuba, is said to create the perfect environment for growing high-quality tobacco leaves.

3. Handcrafted Artistry: Cuban cigars are predominantly handmade, with highly skilled torcedores (cigar rollers) meticulously crafting each cigar. These artisans undergo extensive training and apprenticeships to perfect their technique, resulting in cigars that are considered works of art. The attention to detail, precision, and expertise involved in rolling each cigar contributes to their reputation.

4. Exclusive Access: Cuban cigars have been historically difficult to obtain in many parts of the world due to embargoes and trade restrictions. This scarcity has created a sense of exclusivity and desirability among cigar enthusiasts, fueling the mystique surrounding Cuban cigars.

5. Flavor and Complexity: Cuban cigars are known for their unique flavor profiles and complexity. They often exhibit rich, earthy notes, along with hints of spice, sweetness, and leather. The combination of the specific tobacco strains, the curing and fermentation processes, and the expertise of the cigar rollers contribute to the distinctive flavors found in Cuban cigars.
It's important to note that while Cuban cigars have a legendary reputation, there are also exceptional cigars produced in other countries, such as the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Honduras, among others. Cigar preferences can be subjective, and individual tastes may vary.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

so jealous of the power and masculinity he excudes

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Bula Vinaka posted:

> Why are Cuban cigars so coveted?

Cuban cigars have gained a reputation for being highly coveted for several reasons:
  1. Tradition and Heritage: Cuba has a long-standing history and tradition of cigar making, dating back centuries. Cuban cigars are seen as the pinnacle of craftsmanship and expertise due to the country's rich tobacco-growing heritage and the skilled techniques passed down through generations of cigar rollers.

2. Climate and Soil: Cuba's unique climate and soil conditions are believed to contribute to the exceptional quality of its tobacco. The combination of warm temperatures, humidity, and fertile soil in the Vuelta Abajo region, located in the western part of Cuba, is said to create the perfect environment for growing high-quality tobacco leaves.

3. Handcrafted Artistry: Cuban cigars are predominantly handmade, with highly skilled torcedores (cigar rollers) meticulously crafting each cigar. These artisans undergo extensive training and apprenticeships to perfect their technique, resulting in cigars that are considered works of art. The attention to detail, precision, and expertise involved in rolling each cigar contributes to their reputation.

4. Exclusive Access: Cuban cigars have been historically difficult to obtain in many parts of the world due to embargoes and trade restrictions. This scarcity has created a sense of exclusivity and desirability among cigar enthusiasts, fueling the mystique surrounding Cuban cigars.

5. Flavor and Complexity: Cuban cigars are known for their unique flavor profiles and complexity. They often exhibit rich, earthy notes, along with hints of spice, sweetness, and leather. The combination of the specific tobacco strains, the curing and fermentation processes, and the expertise of the cigar rollers contribute to the distinctive flavors found in Cuban cigars.
It's important to note that while Cuban cigars have a legendary reputation, there are also exceptional cigars produced in other countries, such as the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Honduras, among others. Cigar preferences can be subjective, and individual tastes may vary.

reposting AI content even in jest should be bannable. it's not clever or funny, it's just obnoxious.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cigars? Those are for army generals and old British actors.

I smoke good old fashioned marijuana

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

a bad joint is better than a good cigar

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
A cigar every now and then is nice, but I smoke way more weed than cigars and it is hard not to default to deep pulls of air as opposed to mouthfuls of smoke

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sekenr posted:

Why does cigar smoke smells so vile while pipe tobacco smells amazing? Why aren't they rolling cigars from pipe tobacco?

pipe tobacco is usually a blend and often contains a bunch of additives to make it smell/taste like that

there are sweet flavored cigars too, they're great for rolling blunts. swisher sweets being the most common example but there's plenty of others. hardcore cigar guys who like expensive cigars sneer at them.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

rotinaj posted:

A cigar every now and then is nice, but I smoke way more weed than cigars and it is hard not to default to deep pulls of air as opposed to mouthfuls of smoke

yeah i smoked cigarettes for like a decade and still smoke weed. cigars were never that relaxing for me because you end up having to concentrate on not just instinctually inhaling lol

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

rotinaj posted:

As I said I smoke more weed than cigars. I guess I’ve just gotten used to switching up between inhaling weed and puffing cigars.

I remember my first couple cigars every now and then I’d accidentally inhale on instinct and I thought I was gonna die.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Mark Twain
Groucho Marx
George Burns

to my mind, if you must smoke those things you'd better at least be witty in between puffs

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgU9B07vaeU

Le Cigare Volant!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Cigars are great if 1996 comes back again.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

Cigars are great if 1996 comes back again.

according to my analysis of the retro pattern, 1996 will be trendy again in 2034

edit: my bad its actually 2044 but according to the other patterns there might not be enough people left for a retro trend by then. or we'll be too busy with something else. they don't say what.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
how has this not been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1eXnbB1Mg

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Currently hosed up on the golf course.

About to ight up some Cubans

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Currently hosed up on the golf course.

About to ight up some Cubans

calm down. we don't need WWIII

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

lolling at the image of someone going out to a golf course and getting drunk and then opening up the something awful forums

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i bring my whole gaming pc setup to the course if we’re doing 18 holes, that poo poo takes hours. i can get my daily quests done during other people’s turns

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
wait is there an irl version of virtual golf? first quidditch and now this you nerds are wild

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

lolling at the image of someone going out to a golf course and getting drunk and then opening up the something awful forums

I know, right? I have no one to golf with

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Tobacco is not something to be enjoyed. Tobacco is something to inhale in 2 minutes because it's loving cold outside and we need to get back before Dave sends the file

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Earwicker posted:

We're the boomers now, dawg

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Earwicker posted:

That's called a fun day of golf where I'm from

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MakaVillian posted:

That's called a fun day of golf where I'm from

what's you're handicap?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what's you're handicap?

I'm a long time member of the Something Awful Forums

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MakaVillian posted:

I'm a long time member of the Something Awful Forums

a mental deficient. Noted. Won't write it on your scorecard

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how has this not been posted yet?

It was the 7th post in the thread ya clown

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

It was the 7th post in the thread ya clown

means 6 people didn't post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I generally don’t care for cigars personally, but I had this really annoying housemate that I inherited via sublease that, while annoyingly-drunk, invited himself to hang out with a group of my friends and stole a cigar out of a friend’s hand and put the lit end to his lips and tried to take a puff. So, they’re okay sometimes