Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

for the record, it did!

anyway, I'm poo poo at the TCG, but this is fun so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 5 - Stall Her Out

YOU GOT THIS LITTLE GUY

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

jfc Amy went for the jugular. I literally never saw her do a Turn 2 Pokemon Breeder like she was playing competitive TCG back in 1999 and wanted to beat up a 10 year old.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

About the only way her deck could be dumber would be if they had given it this magnificent little synergy.

imagine if all of those energy got slammed onto this one card instead.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

FoolyCharged posted:

About the only way her deck could be dumber would be if they had given it this magnificent little synergy.

imagine if all of those energy got slammed onto this one card instead.

Rain Dance only works with Water Pokemon, so you need a *different* way to do that particular nonsense.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Whoops. Me and my friends missed that bit as kids

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Not like it needs it, as Amy showed Blastoise killing every unevolved Pokemon on sight is enough. Rain Dance is one of the two classic broken archetypes for a reason(and I think even nowadays the modern version sees use)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Somewhere there is a parallel universe were you straight up won that fight because you succeeded that stalling coin toss 18 times in a row.
Imagine how happy that Dan was.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
brave little eevee died for dan's sins

it's been forever since i played this game but surely there's a better way to find energies you want than just getting all your heavy hitters bodied by seadra because they have no moves available

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

it's been forever since i played this game but surely there's a better way to find energies you want than just getting all your heavy hitters bodied by seadra because they have no moves available

It's because they're splitting the deck into too many elements. Two types is really the maximum you should have in one deck, and if you can do one that's even better. Otherwise you'll get exactly into the situation you've seen where you desperately need a Psychic energy but only draw Water and Fighting -- the odds are just against you.

It also helps to put Trainer cards into your deck that allow you to traverse your deck faster. Bill, Professor Oak, Energy Search are all very useful for that, as long as you don't deck yourself out with them.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 8, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been thinking of paring down our deck to two types, but so many default decks seem to have three so I always got nervous :saddumb:

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 6 - Here's To Four More Turns

Seriously we've had bad luck before but not like this

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Generally, with tcgs, the best strategies are a single, solid strategy, and most of the deck is built around making that happen as fast as possible. Stuff like energy search, pokeballs, bill, and professor oak make sure you can get the right cards faster and should be a sizeable portion of your deck to make sure you get the right cards on the field asap. Minimizing types so there's fewer things you don't want that just get in the way is part of that reliability. It's better to have a dependable stage 2 or single stage haymaker in play hitting neutral damage than to be trying to shuffle 3 types of pokemon in the hopes you can get an effective damage type out.

The gb evees kind of buck this trend as, if memory serves, they all use colorless energy, so they enable you to do some type switching without sacrificing too much reliability.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On the other hand, it makes for funnier episodes to see them scramble to get anything out of the deck to not be killed on the first turn :v:

But yeah, it's better to focus on 1-2 elements at most and use Pokemon of those elements (and maybe some colorless users like the Eevees or Normal types) and also use lots of Bills/Oaks/Computer Search to find what you need/discard bad hands. Otherwise you can pretty much run any Pokemon you like as long as you don't thin the deck too much.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You've got 60 cards in your deck
11 are water energy
6 are electric energy
6 are fighting energy
1 is colorless.

In total you've got 24 energy cards in your deck. So exactly 40% of your deck are energy cards. Statistically you'll draw 2 energy cards every 5 turns and 2 to 3 of the cards in your starting hand will be energy cards.

But 13 of your energy cards aren't water energy cards cards, so any turn you draw an energy you've got slightly less than a 55% chance to get something other than water energy. So, your deck of mostly water pokemon is actually surprisingly dry.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Plznchange thread title to "sometimes you need to punch yourself in the dick to kill a seahorse" TIA

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 7 - The Antithesis Of Music

I dunno I think his theme is funky

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

He's still active on twixter.

https://twitter.com/PokemonTCGUK/status/1690357715347095552

https://twitter.com/imakuni/status/1699983536919601612

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yes. YES

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wildest thing was checking out more about him and discovering that besides singing some songs for the anime and the whole promotion of the TCG... he is credited as a designer in Stadium and Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia.

Therefore Imakuni? is the best, if you don't think so get better taste :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 8 - My Little Bubbelehs

I like eevees okay

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Dan, Consider this an intervention. Your addiction is killing you and alienating all your friends. We love you and are worried about you.
Seriously though, your deck is way too unreliable since you are stretched too thin.

That last guy was had kind of an idiot AI though. His Pigdeott could have easily killed something in two turns by starting with the nominally weaker attack.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 10, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I get the feeling the first 8 videos were all in one recording session so he hasn't had a chance to react to thread feedback

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There's like three more episodes using this deck, then I parked out the fighting cards and we recorded one episode so far tonight, if you got any important tips get em in quick

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Replace like all your trainer cards with prof Oak and Computer search. Those are the best ones by far.
Especiailly Item finder and Gambler are really bad by comparison.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Bill is also pretty busted as trainer cards go, definitely keep some Bills on hand.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

if you got any important tips get em in quick

more eevees

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Gambler rules though it's so spicy

Believe me I've been trying

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Turn it into a drinking game

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Turn it into a drinking game

A shot glass of beer for every pip of your pokemon's HP, to be drunk when hit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

There's like three more episodes using this deck, then I parked out the fighting cards and we recorded one episode so far tonight, if you got any important tips get em in quick

In all honesty, be willing to switch out the deck entirely for a completely different type if you need to - and you'll need to eventually. Going down to two types is good, going down to single-type focus is even better. The less time you spend getting the wrong energy type for the pokemon on your field/hand, the better. Ideally, this amount of time is zero.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

A shot glass of beer for every pip of your pokemon's HP, to be drunk when hit.

I more thing, take a drink each time a basic goes down, two for a 2nd stage evolution, 3 for a third stage. Finish your beer if you lose.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

This is probably not very useful, but if you end up not using any mons with a Pokemon Power on the deck, I'd tell you to put a Grimer/Muk pair if you get them, because Muk stops powers just by being in the bench and that will make some trainers cry.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Probably too late to get it in in time, but eveelutions are found in the evolution(varieties that use their type of energy) and mystery(the ones that use colorless) packs. Eric and David give you two evolution and mystery packs respectively if you want to go eveelution hunting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Replace like all your trainer cards with prof Oak and Computer search. Those are the best ones by far.
Especiailly Item finder and Gambler are really bad by comparison.

But you can learn to time the coin tosses and rig them, so actually, gambler is a better professor oak.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

But you can learn to time the coin tosses and rig them, so actually, gambler is a better professor oak.

I don't trust Dan to do it.
But yeah, if you do that, pretty much the whole game is busted anyway, so whatever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 9 - Pranked

For reference:

https://twitter.com/mikripkm/status/1694546668308574583?s=20

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The pikachu art in this game has some weird :downs: way about it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 10 - The Last Mewtwo

Small hand, big deck

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
You instantly sobered up when you saw the Mewtwo.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, Mewtwo wouldn't attack Eevee because Eevee is Resistant to Psychic - referring to Normal Types' immunity to Ghost. So the Mewtwo couldn't damage Eevee unless it could do more than 30 damage in one hit. Which means the other Mewtwo that did 40 damage would have only been doing 10 damage a shot.

Also, the Rain Dance effect broke because it only works if you're putting Water Energy on Water Pokemon. It broke because you put the Water Energy on Jolteon instead.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, how many copies of Wartortle and Blastoise do you have in your deck? Because you're constantly worried it's in the prize pile, which sounds like you're only running one of each? If so, you should run more.