Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am excited that TFFers support mr Russ going to the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fartknocker posted:

I’m not questioning whether Wilson will get in, I think he’s done more than enough to get in. My question is whether he’d get elected in the first year or two, or if he’d have to wait a bit.

I think he needs to have a late career resurgence to be a first ballot HOFer. Win a playoff game or two.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I agree, I think another two pro bowls and a relatively deep playoff run would greatly help.

Russ is never gonna get an all-pro so needs to rack up pro-bowls and playoff wins

feller
Jul 5, 2006

He’d make way more pro bowls if he was in the NFC still

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's time for Canton to get...

DangeRuss.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Playing the same time as Brady and Manning was brutal for Rivers. No All Pro, no MVP, no rings.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

wandler20 posted:

Playing the same time as Brady and Manning was brutal for Rivers. No All Pro, no MVP, no rings.

The fact that Rivers could barely catch Marino playing almost entirely in an era post-offensive rule changes is more evidence he doesn't belong in the hall.

Marino played in a time so different from the game Rivers played their numbers aren't really comparable. The fact that Marino's numbers look great compared to more modern players is a bigger testament to just how good he was not that anyone currently comparable to him is HoF worthy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If Marino had the current ruleset for his career he'd have another 20k yards and probably another couple hundred TDs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah but with modern cocaine and hookers, would Marino have stayed in the league as long?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Yeah but with modern cocaine and hookers, would Marino have stayed in the league as long?

Smdh this criticism is in Marino's favor. The quality increases means Marino would be more feral and more motivated to loving sling it

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

So good yet so far from a ring, even in this hypothetical.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wandler20 posted:

Those loving rushing yards from Marino lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Want to see all of his rushing touchdowns?

Amazingly only 1 was a QB sneak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDjUMHQryFM

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Forrest on Fire posted:

Smdh this criticism is in Marino's favor. The quality increases means Marino would be more feral and more motivated to loving sling it

He’d throw for 7,000 yards… then be suspended the next season for failed drug tests.

Now, if we want to truly see someone more feral, give peak Lawrence Taylor some modern yeyo and he might decapitate people.

Kalli posted:

Want to see all of his rushing touchdowns?

Amazingly only 1 was a QB sneak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDjUMHQryFM

So many of the fake dive/qb rollouts and they’re all so slow. They make Peyton’s look fast…

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How the gently caress do you play for that long and only have 87 rushing yards?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Dan Marino made Drew Bledsoe look fast

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A combination of shitloads of injuries leading him to wear these hideous knee braces for the second half of his career combined with kneeldowns counting as a -1 yard rush.

I mean and he was slow as poo poo before that, just that fate conspired to make his numbers even worse.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Real men throw from the pocket :colbert:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

a neat cape posted:

Antonio Gates taps his foot

Alan Faneca had six consecutive and had to wait forever. I agree tho, Antonio Gates is a HoFer

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Marino is the true GOAT

Haters vacate

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Black Sunshine posted:

Marino is the true GOAT

Haters vacate

It’s true (for now).

Soon Mahomes will be goat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

D-LINK posted:

Alan Faneca had six consecutive and had to wait forever. I agree tho, Antonio Gates is a HoFer

The problem is capping the number of people that can get in each year. It's stupid

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

The problem is capping the number of people that can get in each year. It's stupid

Yeah, that's the big issue. It made sense when they opened the HoF in 1963 and the NFL only had 14 teams (Cause they drat sure didn't care about the AFL or other leagues) to only do 5 inductees a year, but now it leads to poo poo like Gates not getting in first ballot, which is pretty absurd. They've made minor changes of splitting off coaches/contributors and added the senior nominees, but it still means a lot of absolutely deserving players end up overlooked or waiting.

Also the voters are known to have their assorted biases and issues over the years, but that's another matter :can:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Russ should eventually make it, but he'll probably have to wait a bit because there's going to be some downright dominant dudes retiring around the same time. I know he wants to play longer and all but there's some crazy good players who've retired in the last few years and will retire in the next few and there's already a little bit of a logjam.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

I know this thread is for recent/current players but I just need to vent about this.

Casey Hampton deserves to be in the Hall but will never get in because being the greatest nose tackle ever is a thankless job with no counting stats to show just what an impact he made. He was the anchor of a top 5 rushing defense for a decade, an absolutely immovable object eating up double teams to let the rest of Dick Lebeau's defense run wild.

2 rings and another SB appearance, 5 pro bowls, but no all-pros because there's no differentiating between DT techniques in the voting. On top of that he had a top-tier nickname.

Big Snack for the hall.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doctor Syrup posted:

I know this thread is for recent/current players but I just need to vent about this.

Casey Hampton deserves to be in the Hall but will never get in because being the greatest nose tackle ever is a thankless job with no counting stats to show just what an impact he made. He was the anchor of a top 5 rushing defense for a decade, an absolutely immovable object eating up double teams to let the rest of Dick Lebeau's defense run wild.

2 rings and another SB appearance, 5 pro bowls, but no all-pros because there's no differentiating between DT techniques in the voting. On top of that he had a top-tier nickname.

Big Snack for the hall.

id agree on the stipulation that you throw kelly gregg in there also

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Alright so that’s Hampton, Gregg and Vince Wilfork for next year then?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Corzaa posted:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Corzaa posted:

Chuck in a couple guards or centers. Big boi szn.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Forrest on Fire posted:

cocaine has gotten worse in my drug-use lifetime so I can't even imagine how bad it compares to the 80s, plus there's fentanyl now so maybe he would of died.

e: I remember an interview where Rod Stewart said he quit coke cause you couldn't get good quality purity anymore. If rod Steward I definitely loving can't

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

indigi posted:

cocaine has gotten worse in my drug-use lifetime so I can't even imagine how bad it compares to the 80s, plus there's fentanyl now so maybe he would of died.

e: I remember an interview where Rod Stewart said he quit coke cause you couldn't get good quality purity anymore. If rod Steward I definitely loving can't

It's easier to get quality mdma or ecstasy than it is cocaine these days and that's saying something

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I never have a big issue with that but maybe being in California helps

To attempt to steer back to the topic at hand, who are the biggest cocaine abusers in the hof

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Forrest on Fire posted:

Weeds gotten way better since the 80s
Cokes way worse

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I never have a big issue with that but maybe being in California helps

To attempt to steer back to the topic at hand, who are the biggest cocaine abusers in the hof

Irvine and Taylor jump out.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Blake Bortles.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Doctor Syrup posted:

Big Snack for the hall.

Add a new wing exclusively for players over 300 pounds

The hall of fat

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Play posted:

I mean, like 90% of players during the 70's and 80's were on a constant stream of cocaine and pills so I'd say throwing a dart at any team picture during those years would get you a strong candidate.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Doctor Syrup posted:

Big Snack for the hall.

I'd add Big Vince Wilfork to that list.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

this list is getting really big. add it to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lamar Jackson is a shoe in hall of famer. Two time MVP who has the single season rushing record for a QB. Every player that's won more than one MVP is a Hall of Famer or an obvious future first ballot inclusion.