Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

totey boi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Airligator

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Thank you for flying Air Toto, have a nice day.

Ye ye

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That makes 19 votes for Totodile, vs 11 for Cyndaquil and 4 for Chikorita.

Thanks for voting everyone, I'm going to get started on the next update. Might take a little while since I have a busy life.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's close! We're currently at 11 votes for Totodile, 10 for Cyndaquil, and 4 for Chikorita (5 if I count Siegkrow, I'm not sure if that post was intended as a vote or not).

I'll leave the vote open for a bit more, see if a clear winner emerges.

Kinda late but yeah, it was lol

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Siegkrow posted:

I love that nunchaku chikorita.

Nunchuckorita, certainly?

Not a vote for character or name, just surprised that no one said this first.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It's kind of funny that I picked totadile when this inspired me to try the hack, on the grounds that cyndaquil was overwhelmingly dominant in those early votes.

That sure flipped hard.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CzarChasm posted:

Nunchuckorita, certainly?

Not a vote for character or name, just surprised that no one said this first.

I'm fairly sure it's to long for a nickname, so the pun doesn't count. People only try to built the ones which are viable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 2: Arisu

Everyone agreed we should play as a girl. There were four suggestions for a name. I went with Quackles's suggestion Alice since I liked the idea that we're in Wonderland.

After Totodile and Cyndaquil going head to head for a while, in the end Totodile was the clear winner with 19 votes. I'm not sure if all three people mentioning Air Toto were actually suggesting that as a nickname but I decided to roll with it.

Air Toto comes equipped with an Oran Berry (yes, Fool's Gold uses later-gen berry names), and starts with the basic moves Scratch and Leer.

The romhack devs even made custom animated menu sprites! (I removed the berry for this gif). You can already see a lot of love went into this game.
Anyway, we receive the Potion from Elm's aide, and start making our way to Mr. Pokemon.

Our first encounter on Route 29 is this Pidgey.

Pidgey, the Thwacking Pokemon
Type: Fighting/Flying
Pokedex: This feisty Pokémon picks fights with those around it, but often loses due to its small size.

Of course, without Pokeballs, all we can do is scratch it to death.

Physical? Yep, that's right, Fool's Gold introduces the physical/special split 2 generations early.
In case you're wondering, most of the other internal stats have been kept vanilla Gen 2. For example, IVs/DVs and EVs/Stat exp have not been changed.

Other than the redesigned pokemon, Route 29 seems entirely unchanged. Next, we encounter Sentret.

Sentret, the Squirrel Pokemon
Type: Normal/Flying
Pokedex: Their tails help them leap into the air, where they glide freely using skin flaps under their legs.

Sentret gets Air Toto to level 6.

I get the Potion and make my way to the Route 46 gatehouse. As always, Route 46 is almost entirely blocked by ledges but at least we can take a look at the pokemon.

Corsola, the Flame Pokemon
Type: Fire
Pokedex: CORSOLA are kind-spirited and often appear by weary travelers, eager to warm them up.

Such as this friend. It's unfortunate I don't have balls yet.
Corsola did manage to hurt Air Toto a bit with its annoying combination of Smokescreen and Ember. But Air Toto leveled up again and learned his first STAB move: Gust.

Back on Route 29, I pick an Oran Berry off the tree (they grow back every 24 hours like in the base game), and with that we're already in Cherrygrove City.

Let's get the tour from this guy so he can give us the map.

Hey, what's that pier? Let's check that out in a minute. First, let's heal up and hit the Poke Mart.

Mart - Fool's Gold OST

Here is the first new song of Fool's Gold. Most music is kept unchanged, but when you hit a new tune and it's a good one like this Poke Mart theme, it's a nice surprise.

Anyway, all NPC dialogue in Cherrygrove is unchanged. You've probably noticed the nice red trees as well as what I assume are cherry blossoms on the ground. Let's go see what that pier is about.

The S.S. SAKURA is a ship for only the most elite Trainers.
Nobody really knows where it goes.

Through a short underground corridor, onto the final part of this pier.

Sorry, kid.
This ship's only for the best of the best.

I guess we'll have to come back later. Let's go to Route 30 and meet Mr. Pokemon.

I get the Oran Berries from the tree and from the guy inside the house. The kid battling here says "Go, SENTRET" now, so apparently he doesn't have a Rattata anymore.

In the grass we encounter Hoppip.

Hoppip, the Potato Pokemon
Type: Grass/Ground
Pokedex: A grumpy POKÉMON who stays underground, absorbing nutrients and growing.

It dies to a couple gusts. I found some Antidote on the route as well as a Pecha Berry from the tree next to Mr. Pokemon's house.

I get the Mystery Egg from Mr. Pokemon, and the Pokedex from Prof. Oak.

On the way back to New Bark Town, there's the rival fight. At level 5, Cyndaquil doesn't know any ice moves yet, so it's an easy win.

The police officer asks for his name. Now, there were 2 votes for BUTTS and 2 for ????. Everyone knows ???? is canonically pronounced "HUH?!?" so let's name him that.
We hand the Mystery Egg to Elm, and get 5 Pokeballs from his aide. Finally, before leaving New Bark Town, I ask Mom to save some of my money. She might buy something neat from it for us.

On the way back to Cherrygrove I fill out my initial team a bit, if only to prevent Air Toto from getting over-leveled early on.

Now here's my darkest secret: I can never come up with nicknames for pokemon.

So here's how you can help: At any time during this LP, please leave suggestions for what pokemon I should have in my party and what their names should be. These can be pokemon I've caught, but also pokemon we've seen. I'll try to catch them if they're on a route I already have access to.

It'll be difficult to change nicknames until we get to the Name Rater, so that part might take a bit.

On route 30 we start encountering trainers.

Youngster Joey indeed has a Sentret.
From what I can tell, most dialogue from random trainers is unchanged or just slightly altered. I don't remember what everyone said in the original.
I'll spare you from talking about every single trainer if they don't have new pokemon or stand out in some other way.

During the trainer battles, Corsola levels up to 6, at which point she learns Sweet Scent. Like in the base game, this move can also be used on the field to force encounters.

Bug Catcher Don sends out a Venonat.

Venonat, the Aphid Pokemon
Type: Bug
Pokedex: These POKÉMON are very easy to miss, as they blend right into the leaves they cluster on.

Venonat only knows Leech Life at this point. I switch to Corsola to kill it with fire.

Don also has a Ledyba.

Ledyba, the Firefly Pokemon
Type: Bug/Electric
Pokedex: Many people use LEDYBA as a light source at night. It is a popular POKÉMON for those who like to camp.

On Route 31 I decide to pop into Dark Cave for a moment. It's too dark to see anything but right away I get attacked by Onix.

With Leech Life to heal itself and with a catch rate of only 45, this thing was annoying to catch, but I managed it with my last pokeball.

Onix, the Earthworm Pokemon
Type: Ground
Pokedex: These massive POKÉMON tunnel through the soil, absorbing moisture through their rubbery skin.

What can I say, sometimes it's immediately obvious what to name a pokemon.

This is a Persim Berry tree. It cures confusion.

For some reason I gave Youngster Joey my number. He already decided to call me. Apparently Sentret is doing well and they beat a Venonat. Good for them.

In the next trainer battle against Bug Catcher Wade, Pidgey grows several levels. At level 5 she learns Arm Thrust, a Fighting move introduced in Gen 3. At level 9 she learns Gust.
Wade throws this... thing at me.

Sneasel, the Festering Pokemon
Type: Bug/Dragon
Pokedex: A strange POKÉMON which hides in the darkest caves. It is considered no more than a cryptid by most.

As the dex implies, Sneasel can also be found in Dark Cave, although its encounter rate is very low unless it's night.
Very early to find a Dragon type though.

Wade also has a Spinarak.

Spinarak, the Spider Pokemon
Type: Bug/Ghost
Pokedex: These pests are difficult to get rid of, as their bodies are only made of shadows and grief.

We make it to Violet City without further incident. This seems as good a place as any to stop for now.

Progress:
- Pokemon seen: 12/433 (2.77%)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... some of those pokemon are downright terrifying.

As for nicknames... name Corsola Bonfire?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ok the aipom new sprite made me leary but all of these made me a fan

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok the aipom new sprite made me leary but all of these made me a fan

Aipoms the mascot of the hack
Its a jester, aka a fool. :v:

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

that Pidgey is the stupidest thnig i've ever seen in my life and I love her. Her name shall be AnchorArms.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This got me playing the game. I'm already about to fight Blue, this is a lot of fun, most new designs rock and it's a nice feeling to not know what type a Pokemon will be.

Keep Corsola because I didn't even find one, good to know where it is. I'll second the Bonfire name.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Pokedex: These pests are difficult to get rid of, as their bodies are only made of shadows and grief.

Same, Spinarak. Same.

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
I would protect potato hoppip with my life.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Pidgey is Popeye

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Your team desperately needs MASHIP the Hoppip and of course keep Corsola (CALCIFER???).

[[I AM ALSO TERRIBLE AT NICKNAMES I'M SORRY.]

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Please name your Hoppip you'll probably never use PO-TA-TO

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I’m sure at some point you just hit gbc rom size limitations but it would’ve been lovely if there were custom menu sprites for every mon. Anyway that Corsola is the most :kimchi: thing possible so it should be Kimchi.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I’m sure at some point you just hit gbc rom size limitations but it would’ve been lovely if there were custom menu sprites for every mon. Anyway that Corsola is the most :kimchi: thing possible so it should be Kimchi.

Using the memory bank switcher you could have roms of up to 8 MB, and some carts came with 128 kB RAM to further help performance since the MBC is relatively slow.

You can do a decent bit on 8MB, especially on a low overhead system like the GB(C)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I really wish we could see Hoppip's evolutions before naming it

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I know another romhack by the name of Crystal Clear that, among other things, had unique, properly coloured sprites for all 251 mons. It's definitely doable, although CC was also made by a wizard.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow I love that Corsola. And most of the other new sprites.

I somehow didn't expect this much change, definitely cool

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Digging all the reworked 'mons

they're cool

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Digging all the reworked 'mons

they're cool

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I dunno, that consolation seems a little campy to me.

I also propose we double down on the bad puns and make Jim a Leader.

I love how with every pokemon there's a novel concept behind the art, and then you have a 50/50 on the execution of the art being either pretty nice or terrible in hilarious ways.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh, it's a Corsola-Flare. I see.

Throwing in a suggestion of Smash for Hoppip. As in the instant mashed potato, yes. Those alien adverts live rent free in my brain.

I like Popeye the Pidgey too.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We should name Sentret Shrug because it’s always felt like a very blah Pokémon and being flying/normal makes me feel like it still is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The new mons are great! :allears:

I also vote for MASHIP the Hoppip.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Some of the mon sprites are truly horrifying to come. I don't want to spoil too much.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Erainor posted:

Some of the mon sprites are truly horrifying to come. I don't want to spoil too much.

Thank you for posting anyway. I’m sure we all really appreciate it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The patched ROM is still only 2 MB in size. Don't ask me how they fit this much in.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Based on my mental image of what a /flying Furret will probably look like, please name the Sentret FALKOR.

And agree with CALCIFER for Corsola.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 18, 2024

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
Bonfire Corsola was a dear friend and party member in my run. It's just such a cute concept for a mon.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Out of curiosity, did the dev buff Leech Life at all?
Or other weak moves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Since potato-hoppip is Grass type, I vote for the name of Baked.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cyflan posted:

Out of curiosity, did the dev buff Leech Life at all?
Or other weak moves.

I compared Leech Life and some other early-game attack moves with Bulbapedia and it seems nothing was changed except some have a small difference in the amount of PP for some reason.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I compared Leech Life and some other early-game attack moves with Bulbapedia and it seems nothing was changed except some have a small difference in the amount of PP for some reason.

Well alright.
In the later games Leech Life was buffed from a measly 20 power to 80, which was a pretty insane buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That corsola is adorable, seconding the name Kimchi