Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sue posted:

Let's all be glad that Sonic [title] at least has the chance of being the first good game in the [length of time] since S&K.

sonic_cycle.txt

E: Wow what a poo poo snipe. Instead, let's talk about what would even happen in a theoretical Mighty No. 10.
Since it's obvious Inafune doesn't have a single ounce of inspiration or original thought, the obvious plot of Bad Guy escapes/"reforms" and then does evil again is inevitable.

But what would characters do? Would we play as Beck again? Would there be an even more ludicrously broken backer-only weapon? Would Call get a personality?
These are all much more interesting topics than talking about Sonic games.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
As far as I can tell there would be no way to have a villain escapes or reforms story since Blackwell is not really evil he just looks it and Graham is not a scientist and is unable to build his own set of robots.
However I could be wrong. We could get an escape/revenge motive with Blackwell who would want to seek revenge on those who he felt slighted him, I.E. Dr. White for not coming out with the truth and thus causing Blackwell to rot in jail and Graham for causing the incident to happen.

The breakout could happen Ala Megaman 7 where Blackwell could have a team of robots that want to see him freed since they are tired of other robots being forced into gladatorial combat by Dr. White but saw no real way of breaking him out until they say how easy it was for Call and Sanda to break in.

So now you have what are essentially freedom fighting robots who want the right to choose whether they should battle using Dr. Blackwell for his resources and he in turn is using them to press a revenge plot.

At least that how I'd imagine it starting out. Especially if we were to use the standard Megaman formula.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My more detailed thoughts on that will have to wait until we get the actual ending video, but I think I'd actually go with Blackwell as a background character, White as the character the Mighty Numbers are rebelling against, and the general theme being "loyalty owed to our creator vs. loyalty owned to the well-being of society at large".

White's design sense and moral compass is... bad. As we're about to see, his actual motivations are even worse.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
He's the villain of the next sequel. He tries to fix Call's personality and also gives her the power and opportunity to finally bring everyone to task for treating her like a slave/idiot accidentally drives her insane after fitting her with more weaponry than the American military can muster.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Geemer posted:

E: Wow what a poo poo snipe. Instead, let's talk about what would even happen in a theoretical Mighty No. 10.
It would probably just be a video of Inafune walking out of a bathroom after taking a massive poo poo, then when everyone comments on how bad it smells in there, he says, "I have no idea what you're talking about, I don't smell anything in there."

In all seriousness, I imagine Inafune knew exactly what he wanted to do for MN9's sequels. Fortunately, we'll never know what his grand vision was.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
In a theoretical MNo. 9 series, I'd imagine it being similar to the Mega Man Battle Network series, where the villain wasn't always Dr. Wily (but was still mostly Dr. Wily). I haven't seen the ending of this game yet, but I wonder if Dr. Blackwell is supposed to be the designated villain, but if he is, then go with what I've posted above.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is Inafune still making games and how are they received

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Calaveron posted:

So is Inafune still making games and how are they received

The only game they have released since MN9 is ReCore, which has a 57/63 score average on Metacritic for PC/XBone respectively.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Recore also has something like a 2ish minute load time so if you die you can think of all your failures while you wait to die again. Much like Too Human if I'm going to be honest.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

So I was browsing the internet and came across this image.

I thought it might be appreciated.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shei-kun posted:

Between this and Megaman X getting in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, my day has been made.

Someone should tweet that to Comcept.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It is the final update

Part gently caress this loving game

Joined in today with Scruffo on the worst loving level. But we're finally done.

With being done I'm probably going to take a break from LP for the rest of the month and will start up a new LP next month or whenever I have free time. But there is one final send off I'd like to do with this game and that's a drunk stream of it! I can't do anything this week cause today and tomorrow are my only days off in a row, and honestly I want a recovery day incase I get completely shitfaced. But basically the premise of this is every death take a shot, battle arena take a shot, instant death attack from a boss take 2. All the fun stuff with some added bonus shots in there during the stream. The only downside is I don't have a real time because I don't get my schedule more than a week out so I don't know when this stream is going to take place. So either way please look forward to me making a complete rear end out of myself.

Shei-kun posted:

Yeah, I saw that on twitter and had to retweet it.

Zain fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I forgot, why did Dr. White decide that creating the Borg was a good idea for a first creation?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
god what a terrible game
like that's the entire final level? How did they go from the zero and zx series to this?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for playing this. I had far less patience than you and gave up after dying to the second phase of Trinity a whole bunch. I really doesn't help that you have to do phase one all over again if you die.

One of the things I do find interesting about the extra cutscene is the vitriol in Dr. Whites voice when says a line normally associated with a burgeoning villain. The tried and true "I'll you, I'll show everyone who's ever doubted me" line.

If the game actually got a chance to get a sequel I wonder if they would actually go as far as painting white as the villain. But then that would leave Sanda as the hero scientist and I don't know if that's actually a good thing. The guy acts like he's the one in the level when it's beck doing all the hard work.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Whelp congrats on completing the game. I know it is a bit late but Brands weapon turns off projectile hitboxes meaning that when trinity is doing the whole yellow devil move you can just stand in front of her and slash at her. Also those platforms work on a distance based action thing where if you are farther away they immediately come back but if you are close to them they don't come back at all.

As for the game, for me I think the thing that hurts this game the most is that you can see how with a little bit more effort this game could have been while not great at least a decent megaman clone. I mean the gameplay is fun when you get in the zone, shooting enemies and dashing into them is pretty fun, but sadly for a game that seems to want you to do that it isn't really built for that. I mean for all of its importance they don't really do anything to incorporate it better into the gameplay, like giving the player a store that you can purchase items and upgrades from with the Xels you gained from absorbing enemies would be and excellent way to give players more incentive to dash into enemies. It's just looking at this game you can see how with a little effort a lot of this game could have been made while not great at least decent and that really hurts.

On the story though they really seem to want Dr. White to come off as villainous. I mean he let his dad rot in jail for a crime he didn't commit, is quite arrogant, is pretty disconnected from everything around him, and as the ending shows is more concerned with proving that he is right then actually making sure his ideas are actually safe. I mean I can't be the only one who heard Dr.White talking about his whole robots thinking for themselves and thought "Oh man, this is the X series all over again." and unlike Dr.Light, Dr.White doesn't have the common sense to actually test his ideas safely and make sure they won't make the wrong choices, that is definitely villain territory. If there was ever going to be a sequel it would be interesting to see where they were gonna go with that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I didn't back the game or anything, but yesterday my friend brought this over and I beat it over a few sessions.

The game was uninspired, especially the level design and dependence on one-hit kill hazards, but I didn't think Trinity was particularly hard or unfair, especially for a MM final boss. First form is Baby's First Yellow Devil, and dodging the circle attack is way easier than, say, the Moth's in X2. Dash so you never touch the ground in the middle and it's pretty easy. Everything else is jump over and dash.

Second form when Trinity is off screen be off center so you dodge her middle sprout / blow up the stalk instantly, and can adjust if she goes up on the sides. Her standard pattern is easy and I dodged the beam attack the second time I saw it (and killed her). The weapon you can damage her with is actually very useful on the fight, with the delayable trigger, good damage and large blast radius. On my kill I had an e-tank but didn't use it, which is in contrast with a lot of of the original series games, where I often had to come in fully stocked or reset.

I'm not defending the game overall, but Trinity seemed like a perfectly fine boss fight. Megaman 7 this was not.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Jesus that boss design was sheer trash.

Edit: Also, gently caress you David Wittenberg.

Edit edit: Wow, rap over the ending credits? Jesus, that was bad in loving Modern Warfare.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 4, 2016

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Congratulations on finishing the lp. Congratulations on finishing a game I couldn't. Congratulations on finally being free.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The nightmare is finally over.
I'd say you did a really good job at showing why everyone that invested money in this game was so pissed off about it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Shei-kun posted:

Good lord, that's a thing...

That last level was so bad. Why does it have to be like that?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I forgot, why did Dr. White decide that creating the Borg was a good idea for a first creation?

To quote Jurassic Park, I think he was so focused on whether he could that he forgot to ask whether he should. In one of my high school programming classes I wrote some malware that was surprisingly annoying to turn off just from futzing around with VB.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What? No credits in real time? Clearly an incomplete LP. :colbert:

Good LP though, thanks for showing off this game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congratulations, you are free!

And now I get to go through the whole timeline. I would also like to note that it is Dr. White ranting in the ending about how he's going to Show Them All, not Blackwell.

• Kid of famous roboticist goes into the same field, builds grey goo because he's a dumb kid
  • Boss runs with it, nearly destroys the world
  • Famous Roboticist dad manages to disrupt the apocalypse, saves the world, and is rewarded for his heroism with a life sentence in supermax
  • Did dissociates himself from world-saving, misunderstood dad by changing his name and refusing to acknowledge his existence
  • Kid keeps working on Grey Goo project, attempts at control of the thing produce a permanently tortured robot vampire
  • Kid lets the robot vampire run feral, forgets all about it
  • Kid keeps working on Grey Goo project, manages to get it working more or less
  • Boss decides to reactivate the original project again on the grounds that This Time It Will Make Us All The Money For Sure instead of destroying the world
  • World destroyed
  • Turns out the "more or less" was "more" after all, remainder of world saved

Of the human characters, the elder Blackwell is the only hero here. Beck's greatest service to humanity has already been to save it from his own creator, and it sure sounds like any future contributions would be in that vein as well.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Congratulations, it's over! Thanks for playing it so nobody else has to, enjoy your rest.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Congratulations on finishing the lp. Congratulations on finishing a game I couldn't. Congratulations on finally being free.

Remember, Zain backed this trainwreck. His soul will forever be stained.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Okay, this boss was tedious enough I wouldn't want it to go on longer, but still- the boss is named Trinity and it only has two phases? Also the achievement that popped for beating the game was "Super Fighting Robot" just for the last little bit of gently caress you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kvx687 posted:

Okay, this boss was tedious enough I wouldn't want it to go on longer, but still- the boss is named Trinity and it only has two phases? Also the achievement that popped for beating the game was "Super Fighting Robot" just for the last little bit of gently caress you.

it had a third form
after you beat it she turns into inafune's waifu

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ramos posted:

What? No credits in real time? Clearly an incomplete LP. :colbert:

Drunk stream the credits in their entirety.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Technowolf posted:

Remember, Zain backed this trainwreck. His soul will forever be stained.

No peace in life, and none in the grave.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
So were the marketing claims true?

Was Mighty No. 9 Better than Nothing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cathode Raymond posted:

Nothing would have been way better.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Yes, in that there's nothing that it's better than.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Spend five dollars less and buy Shovel Knight instead.

Or, spend two dollars more and buy Shovel Knight and its soundtrack.

I wasn't super thrilled by the bonus campaign, but there's still at two more coming and they're still going to be free.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Blackwell clearly saw how the X series turned out for humanity

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cathode Raymond posted:

Hell loving no. I deleted this game after playing it twice. At least I have Shantae to look forward to this month finally.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Looper posted:

Blackwell clearly saw how the X series turned out for humanity

poo poo! That's what I was going to say and didn't. Yeah basically I can't wait for the gritty future Mighty No 9 X

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Hell loving no. I deleted this game after playing it twice. At least I have Shantae to look forward to this month finally.

That reminds me I do believe I got that early! I should play it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One thing I'm curious about- would MN 9 have been better received had it been released way back when after the last Megaman game?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think so, since there wouldn't be an insatiable lust for a Megaman game, meaning that the funding would have been reasonable and all of the stretch goals wouldn't have tanked the production. We could have gotten a better game if people wanted it less :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
congrats on this being over with i think if there was to be a mighty no 10 then the best premise (in my opinion) would be dr white goes off the deep end creating more and more robots and a cult like behavior in the robots wihere each new robot must "sacrifice their power to beck" making beck a god drat god of war, he and his robots secede from nation naming their new state whitetopia or something as dumb. With dr white taking more and more territory for his "promised land" the government realizes there is only one man good enough at making robots and crazy enough to help, cut to the president going to free blackwell as he plays a kick rear end drum solo. So blackwell makes an unfeeling unquestioning robot with the help of guy from evil corp who awoke trinity that can maybe take on beck very crude and kinda thrown together but in general there are a bunch of improvements from where beck starts like you actually have invincibility frames on your dash more movement options in the form of a double jump, hover or float (maybe all 3). Stages are set into 2 sets of 4 robot masters with a beck fight after each set and you're fighting a real war the 4 stages are 4 different fronts you going to one makes the other stages you havent completed move forward which increases the difficulty in the levels as they move further/ become more fortified with the enemy layout being different. each hardest version of a stage has a different passive upgrade with all of them being unlocked in the store after corresponding beck fight which are hard but drop e tank + money if you win and if you game over beck wins and you move forward beck becomes more powerful in each fight as he has absorbed more powers in the interim. whites stages as normal but when you get to the end white tells beck to absorb him which he does with some hesitation white dies beck doesnt know how to deal with it but every other sentence he says uses vocal pattern of white, final boss whitebeck you win as your robot goes to make sure beck is dead he ragdolls to the floor shut down after his job was completed. Ohh yeah also sanda goes along with white because hes a coward and doesnt know what to do and call is turned into a complete monstrousity as one of the white castlebosses. Theres also the option to have the new robot gain feelings as he absorbs robots they still dont think but they have feelings and start to emote like halfway through.

I may have gone a bit far/ indepth with that but whatever, also that would be it 2 games and done although the developers/inafune really shouldnt get a second shot.

Also i was gonna say that the respawning blocks might be set for specific timers so the puzzle is how do you get through, having it based on distance seems like the dumbest most unintuitive decision ever.

• Locked thread