Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Videocrazy
Feb 26, 2022
Loved this, have a few notes.

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 35: Homecoming

Which is to say, right now is the first time we'll be able to fight Iku V2
This isn’t actually true. If you visit Rika's HP, after visiting Tenshi but before boarding the Siren, Iku is there. She explains that Tenshi can't use her computer for now, and that Rika is taking care of her in her own computer for the moment. I want to say this was mentioned somewhere, because I can't imagine just popping in and looking for no reason, but I fail to remember any such hint. Tenshi mentions she can still use the Internet to Netbattle, and you absolutely can. This is the first opportunity to face her again (Yamame and Medicine V3 opens up at the same time). Really helpful if you’re about to, say, fight a whole lot of Aqua element viruses. Interestingly, since the encounter is triggered in the cyberworld, your health doesn’t automatically recover after a fight.

Edit: You can actually fight her even sooner. If you visit Rika's house immediately after the school incident, you'll find Tenshi there and can NetBattle her up to V3.

Tangentially, speaking to Remilia in the same time period has her say something interesting too. She says she's been on the Siren luxury cruise liner three times with her father. She then mentions that she thinks it'll be a good experience for you to have, and to enjoy yourself.

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 36: Re: Quests
The Anti-Vrs subchip is your best friend.

The GMDs in this area give out either 200, 2000, or 20,000 zenny apiece. If you want, you can savescum, but there's enough in here that you're almost guaranteed to come out with two or three jackpots.

They can also give out ColdAir3 K or 20 zenny. I'm not sure which is the worse booby prize. Rarely (or what feels like rarely), they also drop MtlCube L.

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 38: The Obligatory Internet Segment

Previously, this TV was inaccessible to us. I don't remember exactly when it opens up

I want to say it opens up after rescuing Dr. Morichika and Remilia (Replay edit: yes, at that point)? Roughly around that point. Interestingly, if you go in before doing that sidequest, the Sprite that will be Yumeko says that she works extra hard to keep it free of viruses. Because it bears repeating: a Sprite, something not meant for combat, keeps the entire TV Comp completely free of viruses on her own.

Blaziken386 posted:

Our next opponent of the day is ???? - and much like the fight at the beginning of this update, he also fights exclusively with swords.

I wasn't able to confirm for certain, but I'm pretty sure that sword it's swinging around is Muramasa. The same sword that couldn't pierce my tier 3 DunBeetl's 100 Aura at the start easily popped it after it took a couple hundred points of damage.

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 42: Corporate Takeover

Okay, strictly speaking, there is one new encounter here: Autoroids will now show up to harass you in virus fights! ...It's entirely possible that they were able to spawn before and I just didn't see them, but it's equally possible that they only show up after you trip a flag. Who can say.

While I can't say for certain, I'm pretty sure that they're part of the pool to begin with.

On a side note, during the periods where Shanghai has to operate alone, I'm pretty sure Counter Hits also put her in the Happy mood even if they don't double-delete or kill. I could be mistaken, though.

Blaziken386 posted:

The lock on this one is slightly mean though. You can't see the numbers from the start, and 15 seconds isn't actually that generous. If you guess the wrong side to start with, you might run out of time.

I didn't find it quite so bad. If you go slightly down the middle, you can see it ends with 3 and should be able to catch the end of one of the other two branches in your peripheral at the same time (I saw the right branch). Even doubling back after that, I had plenty of time to hit them in order from there.

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 45: Dance of Deduction

I believe Auras run on a timer, because otherwise, this would completely trivialize a good chunk of viruses. Some bosses too - all of both Sakuya and Ran's attacks are Null-element, for example.(

You believe correctly. I want to say they last about 30 seconds if they're not destroyed or blown away by wind (unless you have WingStyle on).

Blaziken386 posted:

Maybe they were fascinated by owning everyday objects...?)

A quick tip for the office: navigating between the bookshelf and vending machine leaves you trapped behind them, with no way out that I could find. Nothing's back there, either. If you save back there for some reason and don't have a backup? Well, it's a heck of a place to find yourself softlocked. Thankfully I'd saved before coming in and didn't save after, but it's still a pretty important note of caution.

As a side note, I'm glad you found the PMD hidden in Undernet 10. Would have mentioned that too, if it hadn't been mentioned later.

Blaziken386 posted:

Don't worry about being rude, the fact that people still care about the thread even after such a long break is actually kind of invigorating.
I love both this game and your LP/commentary so much that I paid actual money just so I could post this. Be proud; you do great work. Take all the time you need.

Edit: I also want to take the time to appreciate the thoughtful game design of the first dungeon.

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 3: I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream...

Fridge Comp 2 turns out to be even colder than the first, and now ice is blocking more than just the main path, it's everywhere. Our Heatdata isn't unlimited, however. We've gotta be strategic, or we won't have enough to get through.

Take a good look at the map. You're not told where, exactly, the boss is. However, whether you take any route straight SW, or hug either side, you'll eventually get to the Sprite at the other end with at least one Heat Data left. Assuming you don't melt any ice behind you, the only ways to end up at the end without enough Heat Data to proceed is if you wasted some in Fridge Comp 1, took one very specific serpentine path, or melted every piece of ice you saw...

Blaziken386 posted:

: "TRY TO AVOID AS MUCH ICE AS YOU CAN!"

...something this Sprite specifically warns against doing. It's a wonderful tutorial to the sorts of puzzle mechanics you'll encounter in the dungeons without actually being hindering in any meaningful way.

Edit 2: Just checking, are you aware the Shield chips that drop from the Reftile family are like the Bio Spray chips? That is, hold A to keep it active? The game never actually mentions that, and the window is basically nothing if you're tapping A instead of holding it.

Edit 3:

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 22: Showdown
Based on the way the middle column flashes to signify that something's there at the start of the battle, I think this was intended to only go off when she's in the back column, but I've had it proc when she was in the front as well. (Due to Elec Chain/Tailwind) I'm not sure if that's a bug or not?

It's not. The middle column's flashing effect at the start is the effect used when Area Hold is used. The same effect plays on the front column after God Soul's animation finishes (though if you've used Area Grab before that, you'll maintain it until it expires). This means it's impossible to box her into the back column at all, and you can't grab her front column either after God Soul.

The sword barrier is basically just ProtoMan's shield++, automatically blocking and retaliating any frontal attacks without forcing Yorihime herself to actually do anything.

...Actually, while I'm bringing this general area of discussion up, the idea of Shanghai and Alice being ROM operatives isn't that far-fetched. It's wrong, yes, but not a crazy theory. Think of it this way. By the time you fight Yorihime, you've foiled three ROM operations. However, think about the outcomes of those incidents.

1: Letty and Cirno. I'm not actually sure if anyone even knows of this one; there's no mention of calling the police or answering questions or anything. However, let's assume Reisen found out somehow; either the police were called off-screen or she questioned some of Alice's classmates. Cirno is deleted, Letty gets away without a trace. Not that any of the heroes could know this at the time, but Letty had also both accomplished her goal and restored Cirno from backup, so it didn't even change anything in the end. Under the 'Alice/Shanghai are ROM operatives' theory, this is setting their cover up.

2: Medicine. Medicine is stopped, but she gets away. Her getting away takes a lot of the Net Agents' resources for quite some time, and brings a bunch of internet traffic to a halt. It's never discovered what Medicine was after, either, basically leaving investigations into ROM hanging in the breeze once again. Under the theory, this whole thing is a smokescreen, to both give the duo a higher profile as well as do something that goes unnoticed in the confusion.

It's not brought up until after the Shrine incident, but DruidMan had managed to snag the Air Program some time after that. When this happens is a bit up in the air (probably around or a little after you fight Yorihime). If you go to the University at this time, I believe one of the NPCs mentions there was a break-in, but nobody knows what the goal was, 'no important data was taken'. The ability they had to sneak in without setting off alarms, grab the Air Program, and get out without anyone realizing that's what was stolen? That could easily have been attributed to a backdoor access planted at some point during Shanghai and Medicine's confrontation. Or even after Medicine came back and was 'Sue'. It would work a bit better if the Air Program had been stolen before the confrontation, but nothing much can be done about that.

3: Tenshi and Iku. Again, Alice and Shanghai stop the problem. However, they turn right around afterwards, protecting Tenshi from implied arrest and Iku from implied deletion (or functionally torture). The two are the first to stand in Yorihime's way, both buying time for and rallying her friends, then the entire class, to protect Tenshi and Iku.

Then you come in to stop the deletion of a second ROM Navi, one you've fought and are now inexplicably (from Reisen's PoV) standing up for, simultaneously brandishing a weapon in Yorihime's general direction? Well, that doesn't look good by itself. Given the results of the previous conflicts with ROM? It looks terrible.

That would have been one hell of a twist, though. That you have actually been working for the villains all this time, and the events of the game were just to try and gain the trust of the good guys.

Edit 4:

Blaziken386 posted:

Part 11: The LP Curse Strikes

: "Oh yeah, wanna NetBattle?"

Music: VS. Navi

Another optional bossfight, it's Marisa!!

Yes, all of our friends are NetBattleable. However, Marisa's a little, well. MMmm..

I can actually solve this. On a replay, I realized that if you talk to Marisa again after you finish class (the end of Part 1 of the LP) you can have a one-time NetBattle with her at V1 strength. The game probably expects you to have fought her then. If you do fight her, though, you don't get a copy of the Navi chip when you pick up the homemade antifreeze. That's awfully nice of the game, making sure you have a copy of the chip before the boss one way or the other.

Videocrazy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I apparently had this thread bookmarked from a while ago because the concept seemed cool but didn't actually read it, until someone mentioned the game in a discord and I recalled that I'd seen an LP of it. It's really good stuff, this looks like a better battle network game than some of the official ones and I really like some of the mechanical choices made, and Blaziken's done a great job of showing it off (and I like that the battle videos aren't "perfect," makes it more relatable). I hope it makes a comeback when they are ready! I look forward to seeing the end... Though I really wish that the game could have been completed, too. Is there any other cool concept art in that archive someone said they had?

But yeah, this is just enthusiastic appreciation, don't take it as any kind of pressure.

Videocrazy
Feb 26, 2022

The Golux posted:

Though I really wish that the game could have been completed, too.

I've got good news for you then. People are working to try and build/reconstruct what they can of it. Last I checked, they're working on getting the Heaven post-game area up and running, but it's slow going.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm finally giving this game a shot! It's pretty fun so far, though it's a little jank when I try talking to NPCs. Sometimes they won't respond even when I'm standing right in front of them.

I just beat Cirno and fought the KedamaSP, which I was worried would be hard, but I got MHalberd on my first turn and I went into the battle in Full Synchro. I'm not sure if it being multi-hit when enemies move is intentional, but it certainly got me my money without any fuss. :v:

Videocrazy posted:

I've got good news for you then. People are working to try and build/reconstruct what they can of it. Last I checked, they're working on getting the Heaven post-game area up and running, but it's slow going.

That's good to hear. Hopefully it won't take longer than a year or two.

Supremezero posted:

Colonel had one. He tossed his cape at you and then murdered you. It worked probably like how this one does: It just does a set amount of damage and he only uses it if that amount of damage kills you.

Small correction: Colonel has a move he uses if you're in range to be killed, but it doesn't go through Undershirt. Apparently, ScissorMan doesn't have that mercy.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 4, 2022