Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

CHICKENS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The Rat posted:

CHICKENS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

Judging by the amount of hysterical over-the-top hollering that goes along with the egg laying around here, this is exactly how I envision the laying process.

BTW, the kid is on a campaign for us to hatch an emu next year...

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Judging by the amount of hysterical over-the-top hollering that goes along with the egg laying around here, this is exactly how I envision the laying process.

Pretty sure that's how it works for kiwis.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

LOOK AT THAT

FAT

COCK

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The Rat posted:

LOOK AT THAT

FAT

COCK

That's 110% floof!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:flaccid:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Rat posted:

LOOK AT THAT

FAT

COCK

Why did that buff chicken in the background kill an Easter egger and take its feathers for a necklace?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Cause she's just hardcore like that :c00lbert:

(She's actually a buff brahma, I guess that's how their feathers are?)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why did that buff chicken in the background kill an Easter egger and take its feathers for a necklace?

Buff Brahmas, baby! Althought she is young and has yet to develop that awesome Brahma brow that makes them look like they are eternally scowling and NOT amused...

She's running because there might be FOOD.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Tardigrade posted:

[Kiwifruit!]

:lol:

Buff Brahmas are gorgeous.

I tried to take pictures of the chickens in their molting glory but they wouldn't stand still. There are feathers EVERYWHERE.

Also I now have to attempt to break my broody Australorp, ughhhh. Stupid stubborn bird.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Photo of chickens

(front left to right) Molly, Pip, Piper (hiding in the rosemary) and Tix far right. This afternoon, just kicking around the garden.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

spookygonk posted:

Photo of chickens

(front left to right) Molly, Pip, Piper (hiding in the rosemary) and Tix far right. This afternoon, just kicking around the garden.

beautiful photo! I dream of having this same scene in my yard one day. :allears: I can hear the clucking softly and scratching and ..... Thank you for sharing!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Well, this is our first "random dead chicken" experience so far. All our losses have been from predators. Today, though, it was just one of the hens, dead in a heap in the coop. No sign of distress or injury, she just dropped dead.

On a brighter note, Poop Bird and Poop Bird, Jr. are doing fine. We moved them to the little coop outside because Poop Bird poops a lot and holy hell that is not a nice smell in the house.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Poop Bird and Poop Bird, Jr.

Call them Poop and Poopie. Or Poop and Peep. :)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Inveigle posted:

Call them Poop and Poopie. Or Poop and Peep. :)

We do refer to the chick as Little Peeper, so I guess that works. Can't wait to see if it's a boy or a girl. I really don't want another roo, but we'll see. Maybe we can have two cool roos. Our current one, Gary Goiter, is doing a pretty good job of roostering so far. And he's not an rear end in a top hat like the other two, so that's why he's still alive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Any news about Weedcat's contribution to science?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This evening when I went out to shut the chickens in, Striker was up in a tree, 12 feet above the ground, right above the coop. Again. Instead of going straight for the ladder, I started saying "STRIKER! YOU GET DOWN FROM THERE!"

....And she did. And hustled into the coop with everyone else.

Honestly can't believe that worked.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Any news about Weedcat's contribution to science?

The scientific abstract is being written, the doctor has Weedcat's full name (for science, you know) and has promised me a copy when it is published. :keke:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

http://imgur.com/eNALCrZ

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL. That perfect little chicken hop at the very end of the clip. :D

Also....hooray for Professor Weedcat. :)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Happy Halloween!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Inveigle posted:

LOL. That perfect little chicken hop at the very end of the clip. :D

Also....hooray for Professor Weedcat. :)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Lynza posted:

Happy Halloween!

*squeee*

...and now I regret not buying those dog costumes I found! D: I could've made Amy into a Unicorn-chicken! Darn it. NEXT YEAR! :arghfist:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lynza posted:

Happy Halloween!

I think you misunderstood the term "chicken of the sea".

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Exactly what I needed tonight. :)

Picky, our little bantam Dark India Cornish mix hen just left us, she was nearly 13 years old. She wasn't sick, just old, and had spent her last week in the house staying warm and comfy until her time came tonight. She spent her last day eating scrambled eggs, basking in sunbeams in the living room, watching TV with me and being pretty active. When night fell she slowed way down and we knew it was time, and then she went quietly in her sleep.

Here she was as a gawky youngster...she had a pretty seriously curved beak at hatch, and I wasn't sure she'd make it. She showed us!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Here she was as a gawky youngster...she had a pretty seriously curved beak at hatch, and I wasn't sure she'd make it. She showed us!
Age of thirteen, being spoilt rotten and then passing quietly in her sleep? That's got to be a perfect chicken life. You did her good.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
All this time, and it hasn't occurred to me until now that the forums would have a fowl thread!

Anyway, it's amazing to me that these cute little things:

grow up into these noisy things:

I'm currently in the process of building them a 26' x 20' run so we don't feel so bad about keeping them cooped up when we go out of town.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 3, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Some adorable Frizzle Serama babies.

From Imgur. For a much larger view of the image, open in a new window.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry for your loss, VS. It sounds like Picky had the best last day you could have possibly given her.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Who wants to see a naked chick???

Just in time for Halloween, Pele decided to get her fright on and POWER MOLT

What's that? 'Not so bad', you say?

HERE

I know when *I* saw her I screamed, 'Oh my God!'

Those naked legs :cry:

Jesus, I'd run and hide, too.

Happy Halloween, y'all!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aaaaah! That's the scariest thing I've seen all night! Poor Pele!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tragedy yesterday, when a rogue zombie child entered the chicken yard and grabbed a snack.

The snack was unimpressed and was eventually released, after which it wandered off.
Sometimes it pays to have no brains...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Tragedy yesterday, when a rogue zombie child entered the chicken yard and grabbed a snack.

The snack was unimpressed and was eventually released, after which it wandered off.

You can almost see him just sighing, "They'll put me down in a moment if I just stay still."

Cross posting from the Cute Pictures Thread:

DarklyDreaming posted:

I just learned chickens can swim and I have to share this information:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The Kid deserves props for a proper droopy eyelid. The hunched shoulder is good too, though that might be because of the Snack.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

spookygonk posted:

You can almost see him just sighing, "They'll put me down in a moment if I just stay still."

Cross posting from the Cute Pictures Thread:

That looks familiar.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Oh god, but the smell of wet chickens. :gonk:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Lynza posted:

Oh god, but the smell of wet chickens. :gonk:

What do wet chickens smell like? Like a wet down pillow only a little poopier?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Lareine posted:

Think wet, warm feathers. Not as smelly as a wet dog, but close.

Our chickens are getting snowed on right now, the first snow this season. BIG, wet clumps. Bubbles was the only chick to go out in it and explore. She kept trying to peck clumps as they hit the ground and melted. Then she looked UP and got a facefull...

Can't wait till tomorrow morning when they wake up and the ground is covered in white. :keke: Always makes for confused poultry.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Think wet, warm feathers. Not as smelly as a wet dog, but close.

Our chickens are getting snowed on right now, the first snow this season. BIG, wet clumps. Bubbles was the only chick to go out in it and explore. She kept trying to peck clumps as they hit the ground and melted. Then she looked UP and got a facefull...

Can't wait till tomorrow morning when they wake up and the ground is covered in white. :keke: Always makes for confused poultry.

oh dear poor Pele she has no jacket! So that is what the WIND is bringing us. WINDY as all heck right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lareine posted:

In my honest opinion, a hot wet chicken smells like two day old sour chicken soup.