Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr.Radical posted:

Again, making an angry reply to someone who is probably (obviously) just loving with you about a podcast seems to be pretty silly to me. But hey what do I know

One of the classic monitor turning on moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Goddamn it isn't anyone itt posting with full sincerity? smdh

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not being weird was too much of a challenge for some posters

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I actually don't always hate Chapo movie takes, upon reflection, they're pretty good when they were on Blowback. And Matt's movie takes were usually pretty good (i.e. mostly squib -based ). And the review of Assassin 33 AD got me to watch that pile of garbage which was a good time. It's mostly just Will's desperation to be a high-brow movie guy when he usually has the most pedestrian takes imaginable or just entirely misses the point of a movie, or pronounces on things he hasn't watched because he has received the "correct" opinion from internet. Totally Letterboxd-brained.

Lol that this thread is more parasocially defensive than the Patreon chat tho. Now that's where you go to find the real weirdos who seem to actively despise the show but pay for.it anyway

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

chapo check

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
after repeated admonishments to be normal itt i decided to acquiesce

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Keep Chapo thread weird.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

n-word bot

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Failed Imagineer posted:

I actually don't always hate Chapo movie takes, upon reflection, they're pretty good when they were on Blowback. And Matt's movie takes were usually pretty good (i.e. mostly squib -based ). And the review of Assassin 33 AD got me to watch that pile of garbage which was a good time. It's mostly just Will's desperation to be a high-brow movie guy when he usually has the most pedestrian takes imaginable or just entirely misses the point of a movie, or pronounces on things he hasn't watched because he has received the "correct" opinion from internet. Totally Letterboxd-brained.

Lol that this thread is more parasocially defensive than the Patreon chat tho. Now that's where you go to find the real weirdos who seem to actively despise the show but pay for.it anyway

I think you're taking the normal person's reaction to listening to you, dismissal and mocking, and incorrectly trying to tether it to some psychological issue you've dreamed up instead of just the fact that you post like a CSpam drop outs kid brother.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't get much of a pretentious air from Will on season 1 of Movie Mindset. Maybe I'm just built different.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

because there isn't any. Will just loves movies and radiates Movie Mindset. IF is unable to achieve Movie Mindset, and so lashes out

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i love films

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like Chapo movie episodes for the most part. I just don't want them to do the same low-hanging fruit as every other movie podcast unless it's in their wheelhouse (e.g. Cobra or Death Wish 3).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Still mourning the lack of Tulsa King updates.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Glimpse posted:

Amber’s blanket hostility to all university students is always hilarious. One of my favourite bits.

can't say she didn't earn it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't always listen to Movie Mindset right when it comes out, but i'm glad it's there. i caught a double feature of Halloween II and III last night so i listened to the The Fog/Halloween III episode this morning, good stuff.

glad they did a Walter Hill episode, goated filmmaker. i've seen Southern Comfort but not Extreme Prejudice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think you're taking the normal person's reaction to listening to you, dismissal and mocking, and incorrectly trying to tether it to some psychological issue you've dreamed up instead of just the fact that you post like a CSpam drop outs kid brother.

Yeah that could be it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Halloween 3 is a great example of a movie that doesn't need to be reviewed by a podcast for the 69,420th time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Halloween 3 is a great example of a movie that doesn't need to be reviewed by a podcast for the 69,420th time.

most other movie podcasts are bad, though

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't get much of a pretentious air from Will on season 1 of Movie Mindset. Maybe I'm just built different.

Look at him.

Look at his face his hair his BEARD

Pure unadulterated P R E T E N T I O N

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's the Willterion Collection

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I enjoy champo trap house sometimes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I'm afraid you will need to leave.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

This is parasocial.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I listened to one episode of How Did This Get Made and they got confused about the straightforward premise of a movie they presumably just watched and I hadn't watched in probably twenty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFU27_VJYQ0

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

champing at the bit for champo tramp house

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I listened to one episode of How Did This Get Made and they got confused about the straightforward premise of a movie they presumably just watched and I hadn't watched in probably twenty years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFU27_VJYQ0

"________ Explained" might as well be a biohazard symbol for me, will never click on anything like that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"________ Explained" might as well be a biohazard symbol for me, will never click on anything like that

I feel that but it's not one of those types of videos but a clip from the episode where they try to lay out the opening of the movie and get bogged down because it seems none of them understood it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the problem I had with HDTGM as it went on was that the premise kind of necessitates the hosts just being incredulous at whatever is happening in the movie no matter what it is, and it gets old after awhile. also I heard Paul Scheer is a dickhead IRL.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is parasocial.

Yes, but it's also praxis.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I feel that but it's not one of those types of videos but a clip from the episode where they try to lay out the opening of the movie and get bogged down because it seems none of them understood it.

sort of tangential but i caught Sleepaway Camp on the big screen for its 40th anniversary recently and it absolutely killed with a packed crowd, by a show of hands only about half the audience had seen it before.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol. They're not your friends man

And they never will be if I stop listening.

EDIT:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lol Alex never holds back online

He really loving doesn't.

https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/1786053733614288989?t=v6_umk8kmXL1pGC4CY8vLQ&s=19

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 2, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the problem I had with HDTGM as it went on was that the premise kind of necessitates the hosts just being incredulous at whatever is happening in the movie no matter what it is, and it gets old after awhile.
Yep.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I only listened to HDTGM for a brief stint but I will recommend their interview of Matthew Berry about writing Crocodile Dundee 3 even if they step on him too much (I don't know whether Paul Scheer is a dick or not but Paul Hogan definitely is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSvvisPST8
edit: previous link cut off early

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 2, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HDTGM is fun cause of zouks and no other reason.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

All time episode lmao

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

HDTGM is fun cause of zouks and no other reason.

This is the only correct view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HDTGM was fun but i gave up when it was clear they could barely be bothered to watch the movie and would be watching it on their phone while in the Uber to the studio or have it on while cooking.