Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Son peed on the big blanket so after work I took him and the blanket to the Laundromat. Had so much fun watching the thing spin and putting magic coins in the washing machine that I'm kinda glad he peed on that blanket. Perfect day for Laundromat park combo evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Did he enjoy it as well?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I let our strong reading six-year-old give the opening of Earthbound a try and she loved it. Fighting the Onett cops was a good seed to bury, I think.

:thunkher: The cops are bad guys in the game!?

:cool: Yah...in the game.

Now I gotta speed run it while she's sleeping to make sure there aren't any inappropriate landmines I don't remember/don't see coming. Other than bashing animals with a bat until they turn tame of course.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
evening laundromat chill time ftw

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I let our strong reading six-year-old give the opening of Earthbound a try and she loved it. Fighting the Onett cops was a good seed to bury, I think.

:thunkher: The cops are bad guys in the game!?

:cool: Yah...in the game.

Now I gotta speed run it while she's sleeping to make sure there aren't any inappropriate landmines I don't remember/don't see coming. Other than bashing animals with a bat until they turn tame of course.

Moonside might be a bit much

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
lol my wife told me the big news in kid media world is ms rachel is raising money for palestinian kids. predictable reactions

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dreylad posted:

lol my wife told me the big news in kid media world is ms rachel is raising money for palestinian kids. predictable reactions

hell yeah ms rachel participates in FFV Fiesta?!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A kid in a video my 4yo was watching was flossing, so I (always looking for opportunities to encourage her to try things she seems interested in) got up and was like "they're dancing, it's called flossing, you can do it too, like this!" and started flossing

She started laughing, went "Game over!" and stopped the video, and kept laughing

I think i just gave my kid her first cringe

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

Glad to hear ms Rachel is one of the good ones

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Playing trains with my son he keeps referring to something as "e-mail". I'm not sure what that could be toddler slur for, but we're filling all of the open top train cars with "e-mails" to go to the next station.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KirbyKhan posted:

Playing trains with my son he keeps referring to something as "e-mail". I'm not sure what that could be toddler slur for, but we're filling all of the open top train cars with "e-mails" to go to the next station.

Buddhist rules say your son is reincarnated middle management

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

there is an old keyboard that isn't plugged in at my moms house where i am currently staying and my son has been trying to type on it and saying "im sending emails, i have so many emails to send"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oooh, I should grab an extra keyboard and let him click clack on. Thanks for tip

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Oooh, I should grab an extra keyboard and let him click clack on. Thanks for tip

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

A kid in a video my 4yo was watching was flossing, so I (always looking for opportunities to encourage her to try things she seems interested in) got up and was like "they're dancing, it's called flossing, you can do it too, like this!" and started flossing

She started laughing, went "Game over!" and stopped the video, and kept laughing

lmbo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

lol

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for sharing your struggles and stories. It really helps me a lot.

And then she got to ride the choo choo?

I took her to the Choo Choo today. It was temporarily closed.

We'll drive Choo Choo yet.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Younger kid, after getting upset about something, anything: "I HATE YOU!"
*3 seconds pass* "No I LOVE you!"
They can't commit to the spite yet.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

KirbyKhan posted:

This is the only way I can use a PC in my kid's presence.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Baby just turned 1, meaning that before this spring the last time there was acceptable weather outside he was basically a newborn. Wife took him to a farm with animals today and he is apparently completely floored by the concept of ducks. Saw one and had to sit down and just stare at it, taking it in

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also on the concept of short child memories, we found out that it had apparently been a while since we had tater tots when my wife made some last night and the three-year-old claimed to have no memory or concept of them and guessed that she probably doesn't like them

Toddler brains are weird

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Picky eating report

Me: what sandwich do you want later
6yo: tuna
Me: makes sandwich gagging the whole way as I hate tinned tuna

Later

6yo: ewwwww, I don't like tuna

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Here's a No Context page from one of the story books we picked up from the library, presented for your consideration

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The Wolf and the Seven Goats is an actual old European folktale! It's just not as popular these days for, uh, obvious reasons.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Microplastics posted:

Here's a No Context page from one of the story books we picked up from the library, presented for your consideration

No context children's book pics was one of my fav parental leave activities.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

notaspy posted:

Picky eating report

Me: what sandwich do you want later
6yo: tuna
Me: makes sandwich gagging the whole way as I hate tinned tuna

Later

6yo: ewwwww, I don't like tuna

Trader Joe’s discontinued the only pasta shape my kid eats. I can’t find it anywhere locally and I’m not buying it online. it’s like a penne with spiral marks…

being a healthy picky eater is still a problem.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We have entered the birthday party era. Is the presents thing new? The Present Table is obscene. A recent episode of sesame street had a birthday party primer, and emphasized the etiquette of bringing a large flamboyantly wrapped package. Gonna get outed to my kid as a miserly misanthrope sooner than I thought

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you can just say "no presents please" on the invite and hope people read it. you can also just donate the gifts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I can't write "no presents please" on the invites I get though :colbert:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
People give things to kids, it happens. Most of the stuff is p disposable. Ive gotten drum set for my toddler, the hell does a toddler need a floor tom? I have no reservations on hucking that to the back of the garage. Parenting is inherently fascistic.

If the thing is disposable, then I just let them have the thing. Cultural contamination isn't a real thing.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Microplastics posted:

I can't write "no presents please" on the invites I get though :colbert:

The plastic bullshit you bring to other kids' houses is their problem.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress me do I hate kids presents.

It's like we are in a mutually abusive relationship with every other parent.

I have tried so hard to prevent people buying my kid stuff but it just doesn't work. I have told them "I am well off and they have everything they want/needs" nope. I tell them "don't worry I will still buy your kid a present" - nope. I have told them that I would get a big joint present so my kid feels like your kids have gotten them something - nope.

It's so loving stupid. My house isn't big enough for all these toys, their houses aren't big enough. Why are we wasting £100s a year to annoy he poo poo out of each other?

gently caress.

I do have one last idea which is some sort of charity donation on my kids behalf. If that doesn't work I am out of ideas apart from a bin at the front door.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tell them to buy your kid Roblox points they can trade at the playground like packs of cigarettes in jail

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

notaspy posted:

gently caress me do I hate kids presents.

It's like we are in a mutually abusive relationship with every other parent.

I have tried so hard to prevent people buying my kid stuff but it just doesn't work. I have told them "I am well off and they have everything they want/needs" nope. I tell them "don't worry I will still buy your kid a present" - nope. I have told them that I would get a big joint present so my kid feels like your kids have gotten them something - nope.

It's so loving stupid. My house isn't big enough for all these toys, their houses aren't big enough. Why are we wasting £100s a year to annoy he poo poo out of each other?

gently caress.

I do have one last idea which is some sort of charity donation on my kids behalf. If that doesn't work I am out of ideas apart from a bin at the front door.

Tell them your kid absolutely loves Warhammer. He can't get enough. You don't like it though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Tell them your kid absolutely loves Warhammer. He can't get enough. You don't like it though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
But what do you do with the boxes of Chaos Dwarves littering your house?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try and stick to family birthday celebrations or, barring that, small celebrations with close friends for my son as long as possible. There's just so much wierd jockeying and showboating in the whole giant kids birthday party thing and I feel like they inevitably pick up on that part of it no matter how much it's coated in cake and presents

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Elissimpark posted:

But what do you do with the boxes of Chaos Dwarves littering your house?

Mostly raise them and try to get them to eat dinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ikanreed posted:

Mostly raise them and try to get them to eat dinner

Lol.