Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack
well, Lacey was still funny today and there were white and red poops in the coop from her so we went to the vet.
Roo boy received an anti inflammatory shot to bring down his temperature, and an antibiotic shot too (I think it was that)
Lacey received an antibiotic in her mouth. He said it's probably coccidiosis and roo has a secondary infection as well.

I've come home with more baytril so they get .2ml per day each for 5 days and baycox from him for their water which everyone will get. He said the ducks should handle it, but I've let them out for the day so they receive non medicated water as well since they drink so drat much. The ducks are really upset about being separated
I've stopped the tetravet for all birds since the obviously sick ones are getting baytril.

Thanks V.S, Lacey is quite lively but sits on her own, I saw her peck food and her vent feathers are clean. I'm droppering them all medicated water, no one except Roo makes it very easy!
Apart from natural unflavoured yogurt what probiotics would you recommend? can they have them during treatment?

Oh, also what age can chickens have oyster shell grit? no one here seems to sell granite grit.
I've seen a few cherry pits around so they aren't swallowing all of them if they are at all, and they aren't cracking them open for the kernels.

I'm going to move their run to a different area and give their coop a big clean tomorrow, they free range most afternoons so there are any number of places they could be getting bugs from
Thanks again V.S, it's been an interesting Christmas eve! hope you have a good christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

psychotic posted:

well, Lacey was still funny today and there were white and red poops in the coop from her so we went to the vet.
Roo boy received an anti inflammatory shot to bring down his temperature, and an antibiotic shot too (I think it was that)
Lacey received an antibiotic in her mouth. He said it's probably coccidiosis and roo has a secondary infection as well.

I've come home with more baytril so they get .2ml per day each for 5 days and baycox from him for their water which everyone will get. He said the ducks should handle it, but I've let them out for the day so they receive non medicated water as well since they drink so drat much. The ducks are really upset about being separated
I've stopped the tetravet for all birds since the obviously sick ones are getting baytril.

Thanks V.S, Lacey is quite lively but sits on her own, I saw her peck food and her vent feathers are clean. I'm droppering them all medicated water, no one except Roo makes it very easy!
Apart from natural unflavoured yogurt what probiotics would you recommend? can they have them during treatment?

Oh, also what age can chickens have oyster shell grit? no one here seems to sell granite grit.
I've seen a few cherry pits around so they aren't swallowing all of them if they are at all, and they aren't cracking them open for the kernels.

I'm going to move their run to a different area and give their coop a big clean tomorrow, they free range most afternoons so there are any number of places they could be getting bugs from
Thanks again V.S, it's been an interesting Christmas eve! hope you have a good christmas

Glad you took them to the vet and got a definitive diagnosis, good luck with their treatment and like I said, be aggressive in treatment since sick birds tend to not eat and drink as often as they should, so they don't take up as much medicated water as they need to.

Pet stores that cater to birds and reptiles sell a product called BeneBac, it's a probiotic gel. I'm sure there are others on the market as well (Google 'probiotics for birds'). You can start the probiotics any time, but giving it to them closer to the end of the course of antibiotic treatment would make more sense to me. You might want to pick up some live mealworms to give them a nutrient boost, most chickens will still eat mealworms when they are too sick to eat much else.

As for the oyster shell...9 weeks old might be a *little* young, but I honestly don't know if it would hurt them. I'd ask your vet. :) My baby chicks start getting dirt to peck around in for grit their first week of life, and their chick ration covers their calcium needs.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Merry Krismas to all!

Image from Imgur.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Happy Holidays from the chicks!

Bruce, not amused and forced to *hop* across the 1 1/2 feet of snow we got yesterday back into the coop...

Jimmy, who cooperated because anything the humans do is A-OK with her!

And Pompadour. Who was OK with being decorated...

But only up to a point.

Also, two cool Christmas things I got!

He's going up in my kitchen on the Great Wall of Chicken. Love how he's throwing a little peace sign.

And this Tshirt--which is, weirdly, exactly how our flock number went back in the day.

Edit: Oops, fixed!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 26, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: your new photos look great, but are there larger versions of them? :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And this Tshirt--which is, weirdly, exactly how our flock number went back in the day.

Morehens disease! :D

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I went home for Christmas and met my mom's neighbor's CHICKENS! All were very disappointed that I had no treats, of course, but they were super friendly (save for one roo who spent the whole time sizing me up, and one little hen that stayed in her tree branch).

What kind of chickens do we have here? I recognize the barred Plymouth Rocks. Are the brown ones Buckeyes? What about the roosters, and the little gray hen? What kind of roo is the bearded fellow? He had lovely golden head feathers.

Little white roo was the noisy one, crowing multiple times, but he was way more inquisitive than the big guy. Big guy was also getting pushed around by the little guy a lot.

I want chickens.

Edit: The white ladies must be longhorns.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

First egg we found from our little brown leghorn, Derple. This one is pretty big for such a tiny hen so it can't be her first. It was just laying in the yard. Now I have to somehow get her to lay in one of the boxes.

This Derple and I have no idea why Imgur is loading it sideways.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

I went home for Christmas and met my mom's neighbor's CHICKENS! All were very disappointed that I had no treats, of course, but they were super friendly (save for one roo who spent the whole time sizing me up, and one little hen that stayed in her tree branch).

What kind of chickens do we have here? I recognize the barred Plymouth Rocks. Are the brown ones Buckeyes? What about the roosters, and the little gray hen? What kind of roo is the bearded fellow? He had lovely golden head feathers.

Little white roo was the noisy one, crowing multiple times, but he was way more inquisitive than the big guy. Big guy was also getting pushed around by the little guy a lot.

I want chickens.

Edit: The white ladies must be longhorns.

The white ladies are White Leghorns (but I kinda like 'Longhorns'...) :keke:

The tiny gray hen appears to be a blue Dutch bantam.
The brown hens might be New Hampshires.
The handsome big guy looks like an Americaunas (the facial tufts give it away), there are tons of color combinations but the barring in his cape looks like Creole coloring. He might also have some Cream Legbar heritage, especially if he has that little tuft on the top of his head.

You can look at pictures on feathersite to see who matches what: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoops. Leghorns. :x

Thanks for the IDs! And the link!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This Derple and I have no idea why Imgur is loading it sideways.
You should have the option to edit images (it's a checkbox) when you load them into imgur, one of the options will be rotate. Depending on what device you used to take the picture it may or may not have saved the orientation in the .exif data which is usually what screws things up.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wywl-utVEv4

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

"...First you get the paper and then you get the tape...the paper, then the ta--...ok, the paper, and then the--oh Hell, get a bag."

Very cute. :keke:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I am delighted by this video and only wish I had a gift bag large enough for one of my hens.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The 29th of December was the 4th anniversary of bringing Pip & Piper home and going from an abused battery caged chicken to fully retired garden hens.

Here they are yesterday both relaxing in the December sunshine (Piper especially loves this pet blanket).

(that's Tix in the background, btw)

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Happy Holidays from the chicks!

These are all so lovely!

spookygonk posted:

The 29th of December was the 4th anniversary of bringing Pip & Piper home and going from an abused battery caged chicken to fully retired garden hens.

Here they are yesterday both relaxing in the December sunshine (Piper especially loves this pet blanket).

(that's Tix in the background, btw)

I love seeing your rescue chickies, they look so happy :)

We put down Roo on Tuesday, he seemed to get better for a bit, but on Monday night he was just a tiny ball of chicken sadness and it was obvious it was time. His poops had become less runny but he still wasn't really digesting properly. Sorry little guy.
Lacey however is a lot better. She's perky and happy again and I'm just waiting for the other chickens to finish their course of coxiprol so I can reintroduce her slowly to the flock. They are all doing well too
Unfortunately in N.Z it's hard to find a lot of poultry related things I hear about, but I've picked up some probiotics for her and some more meal worms. She really picked up her appetite and is quite a little piggy. We put her in her hospital box Tuesday afternoon so we could pick up more wood shavings and came home to her waiting on the couch for us.
Thanks again for your help V.S!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

psychotic posted:

These are all so lovely!

I love seeing your rescue chickies, they look so happy :)

We put down Roo on Tuesday, he seemed to get better for a bit, but on Monday night he was just a tiny ball of chicken sadness and it was obvious it was time. His poops had become less runny but he still wasn't really digesting properly. Sorry little guy.
Lacey however is a lot better. She's perky and happy again and I'm just waiting for the other chickens to finish their course of coxiprol so I can reintroduce her slowly to the flock. They are all doing well too
Unfortunately in N.Z it's hard to find a lot of poultry related things I hear about, but I've picked up some probiotics for her and some more meal worms. She really picked up her appetite and is quite a little piggy. We put her in her hospital box Tuesday afternoon so we could pick up more wood shavings and came home to her waiting on the couch for us.
Thanks again for your help V.S!

Aw, that's a shame. Roo could well have had something else going on as well, something that developed or some congenital thing...you never know. But I'm glad Lacey is doing better. Picking out the couch to roost on is a good sign. :)

Thanks for the compliment on our girls. The sun was out today so they were all MUCH happier.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Aw, that's a shame. Roo could well have had something else going on as well, something that developed or some congenital thing...you never know. But I'm glad Lacey is doing better. Picking out the couch to roost on is a good sign. :)

Thanks for the compliment on our girls. The sun was out today so they were all MUCH happier.

Pompadour is so pretty and puffy! with just a hint of murder in her eyes...

Lacey is heaps better, she still eats like a piggy and she's so much perkier. My partner is looking after the birbs while I'm visiting family for a week since I didn't get to go home for Christmas this year.
I've spent the last couple weeks googling chicken poop pictures but they still confuse me, Lacey left this poop this morning but I don't know if it's normal cecal poop or resurfacing cocci

her mood is still good, should I start another round of coccidiosis meds? she's been off baycox for a week now. the vet isn't open to check
thanks again

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: Pompadour is so poofy and gorgeous. I would love to see her be a broody mama to a clutch of eggs. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

psychotic posted:

Pompadour is so pretty and puffy! with just a hint of murder in her eyes...

Lacey is heaps better, she still eats like a piggy and she's so much perkier. My partner is looking after the birbs while I'm visiting family for a week since I didn't get to go home for Christmas this year.
I've spent the last couple weeks googling chicken poop pictures but they still confuse me, Lacey left this poop this morning but I don't know if it's normal cecal poop or resurfacing cocci

her mood is still good, should I start another round of coccidiosis meds? she's been off baycox for a week now. the vet isn't open to check
thanks again

Yeah, Pomps was cool with it until I decorated her head, then the murder look appeared...she went broody for a bit last year but wasn't really serious about it. The banties are the ones that go at the broody thing hammer and tongs and get fanatical.

Chickens will occasionally shed a bit of their intestinal lining in their poos, which can appear as 'bloody poo'. And to make matters worse, blood doesn't always appear in Coccidiosis poops, there is a strain without the tell-tale bloody poops. There is a huge range of 'normal' in chicken poops, and what is 'normal' can further vary from bird to bird.

So you or your partner is on poop inspection for now! If you've gone through the round of meds and she doesn't appear sick, I'd watch her like a hawk and hold off on another round of cocci meds unless you are sure she's sick and the vet tells you to give it to her.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

Inveigle posted:

VS: Pompadour is so poofy and gorgeous. I would love to see her be a broody mama to a clutch of eggs. :)

Yes! tiny chickies poking their faces out of big poofy mamas are so adorable!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah, Pomps was cool with it until I decorated her head, then the murder look appeared...she went broody for a bit last year but wasn't really serious about it. The banties are the ones that go at the broody thing hammer and tongs and get fanatical.

Chickens will occasionally shed a bit of their intestinal lining in their poos, which can appear as 'bloody poo'. And to make matters worse, blood doesn't always appear in Coccidiosis poops, there is a strain without the tell-tale bloody poops. There is a huge range of 'normal' in chicken poops, and what is 'normal' can further vary from bird to bird.

So you or your partner is on poop inspection for now! If you've gone through the round of meds and she doesn't appear sick, I'd watch her like a hawk and hold off on another round of cocci meds unless you are sure she's sick and the vet tells you to give it to her.

Thanks for that, we'll continue to watch her. Chickens are harder than I thought!
They are so funny though, our chicken Blue was running around making the oddest almost quacking noise the other night, apparently she gets quite upset when the ducks don't tell everyone to go to bed early enough

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

As it's 2016, I guess it's time to post the chicken poop link again: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A nursing home in Australia is trying chickens as therapy animals.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

1. That chicken knows exactly what's what.
2. It also seems to have melted in the Australian heat.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Chicken blob.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Laying down in the driveway to take pics of the birds in the snow. They liked that.

Don't Try This At Home by B. B., on Flickr

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
We finished our coop a while back

Building the foundation was super fun

Building the shed loving sucked

We used foundation vent screens for the narrow windows which worked really well (cheap too)

The dogs "helped"

Inside

Ran out of the right size screws so the boxes are just strapped down for now

They weren't very impressed when we moved them in

They like it now though

Teaching kas to chill around birds, she's doing really well

It's been really cold and wet lately and I was kinda concerned we'd have a lot of condensation build up but so far we haven't had any at all. I don't think it's gonna be an issue but if it is we can always insulate the inside. Might have to do that anyways come summertime.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
TRIANGULUM WOW! nice set up and those are some gorgeous looking pullets! I am so jealous! I have to live vicariously through this thread and the chickens that I can see when I am able to take the scenic route home after work :)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Currently in chicken heaven right now. I am living and working on a large dairy goat farm, the owner is a judge for chickens goats etc and breeds many types of them. I am surrounded by chooks and goats.

The Orpington Cochin are massive, I will have to get more pics. We picked up some salmon pekin Cochin's today, they remind me of fat goldfish, so placid, however I've been told their roosters are very aggressive.

I saw a langshan up a tree about 7ft high with two chicks under each wing.

http://i.imgur.com/Gx6rv9Y.jpg

http://imgur.com/FPENQFC

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

Currently in chicken heaven right now. I am living and working on a large dairy goat farm, the owner is a judge for chickens goats etc and breeds many types of them. I am surrounded by chooks and goats.

http://i.imgur.com/Gx6rv9Y.jpg

http://imgur.com/FPENQFC

Do they raise any bantam chickens? If so, please get some photos! (I really miss the photos of the adorable banties that Tim the Enchanter used to post here.)

Also, what type of chicken is the black rooster? He looks very jaunty! :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kharnifex posted:

I saw a langshan up a tree about 7ft high with two chicks under each wing.
If that happens again, we need photos. Neeeeeeeeeeed photos!!!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

How do chicks get 7 feet up in a tree? Also, are there peacocks? I think I see peafowl feathers in that pic of the black rooster.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

How do chicks get 7 feet up in a tree?

They each take along at least 3 friends with two legs each.

I'm so sorry.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They each take along at least 3 friends with two legs each.

So, one of the chicks only has one leg?

Chicken math makes my head hurt. :|

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

So, one of the chicks only has one leg?

Chicken math makes my head hurt. :|

No, you end up with 8, but it never hurts to carry a spare in case on of them gets a flat.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

piscesbobbie posted:

TRIANGULUM WOW! nice set up and those are some gorgeous looking pullets! I am so jealous! I have to live vicariously through this thread and the chickens that I can see when I am able to take the scenic route home after work :)

Thanks! Honestly it's just a kinda lovely shed I got on sale at Sears and after having it up for a while, there are definitely a few things that need modification. The door tracks constantly fill up with bedding making closing them a huge pain in the rear end so I'd like to swap them out with swinging doors. We also need to put some sort of flaps over the front windows because we're having a hellish storm right now and they're letting in some water. I still don't know how many are hens and how many are roosters but I want the roos to get bigger anyways before I eat them anyways.

Do you guys let your chickens out when the weather's really bad or keep them inside? We've been having 4+ inches of a rain a day and 30+ mph winds this week and I kinda assumed they'd just stay inside anyways so I haven't been letting them out.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Triangulum posted:

Do you guys let your chickens out when the weather's really bad or keep them inside? We've been having 4+ inches of a rain a day and 30+ mph winds this week and I kinda assumed they'd just stay inside anyways so I haven't been letting them out.

My idiot birbs hang out in front of our door when the weather's bad. Never mind that they have a spacious, clean, dry, and warm coop they could hang out in. Oh no. It's 25F, there's an inch of ice on the ground, and they're making GBS threads it up in front of my door.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I have one chicken that when it rains goes inside, the rest just stare at the rain and bawk incessantly for me to do something while I just watch them be idiots. Then they glare at me for not fixing the rain problem. Then begin to bawk some more while staring upward.

They are pretty loving stupid

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Unless it's flooding the chooks usually get let out into their paddock when it rains. The neighbour's chooks are smart and go back into their pen when it gets too heavy but ours just stand around wondering why they're getting wet.

Our rainy season is warm, but if your rainy season is cold, they might prefer staying inside and keeping dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Unless it's flooding the chooks usually get let out into their paddock when it rains. The neighbour's chooks are smart and go back into their pen when it gets too heavy but ours just stand around wondering why they're getting wet.

Our rainy season is warm, but if your rainy season is cold, they might prefer staying inside and keeping dry.

We are having rain, snow, lightening, and flood warnings all the the same time right now and most of my yard's like 3" deep water/slush. I fuckin hate El Nino. I think I'm just gonna keep them inside until the flood warnings stop at least

Thank gently caress I didn't get goats last summer, I can't imagine what kinds of horrible hoof problems we'd be dealing with right now.