Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Morgan have released a new special edition in collaboration with some Italian company no one's ever heard of.

https://morgan-motor.com/models/midsummer/

It is absolutely incredible and I want one.

Edit:
I totally forgot to include the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfX01nCXKE

So they made the bubble screen thing that points all the wind directly into your face wtf lol; i guess great for driving at 15mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Goober Peas posted:

At least locally, I see "Red River Edition" on pretty much every make/model SUV or pickup. Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, Ram in particular. It's mostly just pinstriping and a decal on the back window.
When the red river is flowing, take the dirt road.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/PatsCurtins/status/1791200932975296902?t=NsuRIM5cOc9R1H4_T65Vdw&s=19

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sure, why not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would take that two car garage all day long :v:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:hmmyes:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmR2mWBi3co

🥵

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

My mom bought a new car recently, she ended up with a RAV4 SE hybrid. Sent me a pic which shows black wheels and blue shocks which looks kind of sporty to me. Yep, it's the Sports Edition for an octogenarian. AWD too in a place where she will never need it. I did read that it feels much more planted merging and stuff. And the powertrain is solid on paper, 2.5L with separate electric motors driving the front and rear wheels. I figure if anyone knows how to hybrid well it's Toyota but kind of funny a salesman got her into that model.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Big rear end On Fire posted:

My mom bought a new car recently, she ended up with a RAV4 SE hybrid. Sent me a pic which shows black wheels and blue shocks which looks kind of sporty to me. Yep, it's the Sports Edition for an octogenarian. AWD too in a place where she will never need it. I did read that it feels much more planted merging and stuff. And the powertrain is solid on paper, 2.5L with separate electric motors driving the front and rear wheels. I figure if anyone knows how to hybrid well it's Toyota but kind of funny a salesman got her into that model.

AWD is in no way going to make a car feel more planted while merging on dry clear pavement for 99% of drivers. It’s probably in the head. My parents got upsold on a CR-V in the same way, but the upper trims are always a little nicer in other ways too. The question is whether it’s worth the premium to the buyer.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Ah yes gotta have AWD so you don’t get stuck or spin out trying to merge into traffic

??????????????

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

It’s probably in the head

Yea; I imagine it's extremely easy to "lead the witness" when you have normie appliance buyers test driving stuff.

What was she driving before? It probably "feels more planted" because it's a heavier.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

All hybrid rav4s are AWD.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Inner Light posted:

AWD is in no way going to make a car feel more planted while merging on dry clear pavement for 99% of drivers. It’s probably in the head. My parents got upsold on a CR-V in the same way, but the upper trims are always a little nicer in other ways too. The question is whether it’s worth the premium to the buyer.

SE has sport shocks , not the awd

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

E: oh I misread. OP you sure it’s AWD if it has a hybrid SE badge? It seems Toyota stopped putting AWD badging on RAV4 AWD trims a few years ago, maybe, but also maybe they didn’t

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 23, 2024

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

:confused: what the hell is wrong here.

I got this one pic from the side. It says AWD on it. It has blue shocks and black wheels. My mom didn't make any claims about how it drives. I read a RAV4 owner say they went from one trim to the SE and it felt much more planted. The only thing you can't see is the trim but she told me SE. It has black wheels and blue shocks and the SE is billed as having black wheels and a tuned sport suspension. In my experience blue shocks are sporty, like Bilsteins.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:confused: what the hell is wrong here.

I got this one pic from the side. It says AWD on it. It has blue shocks and black wheels. My mom didn't make any claims about how it drives. I read a RAV4 owner say they went from one trim to the SE and it felt much more planted. The only thing you can't see is the trim but she told me SE. It has black wheels and blue shocks and the SE is billed as having black wheels and a tuned sport suspension. In my experience blue shocks are sporty, like Bilsteins.

The only reasonable way of any certainty beyond badging to determine what a vehicle is equipped with from factory is the VIN, I was going to suggest that next. There are a few tools out there of varying quality for “decoding” the VIN or you can :justpost: it

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Inner Light posted:

The only reasonable way of any certainty beyond badging to determine what a vehicle is equipped with from factory is the VIN
Ok I'll leave.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

No don’t leave, I added more of my reply in a ghost edit, my post before had a part about the VIN but I forgot I edited it out and didn’t mention it yet, so I wanted to add that, didn’t mean to be terse :v:

You can post the VIN or I can recommend a tool from the google if you wanted to try that.

Or if you don’t have access to the VIN and wanted to find out, one other reasonable way would be image searching years and trim levels to find a side photo and compare them.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 23, 2024

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The build tool on Toyota.com shows AWD badging on the Rav4 SE Hybrid. I'd imagine that the 'grounded' feeling is just less body roll from having a slightly stiffer suspension. The SE Hybrid is only $3k over the base hybrid. Given the apparent age of the owner, and the fact that the SE comes with blind spot and rear cross traffic monitoring standard, which is an option on the base model, it might be $3k well spent.

Also, the Rav4 is easily one of the best utilitarian vehicles on the market. If you want a CUV to take you from Point A to Point B reliably and don't care about 0-60 times or perfectly hitting the apex of your turns, it's an excellent choice.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The guy only drove it like a hundred feet lol

Well how far and fast are you willing to drive a car with no windshield on public roads?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's still wild to me that cool guys will ride motorcycles without any kind of face shield

Even rain hurts at high speeds!!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Well how far and fast are you willing to drive a car with no windshield on public roads?

As far and as fast as possible

https://classicpartsltd.com/retro-racing-goggles-black-leather-grey-frames.html

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I reckon I could make it to about Cholame

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This isn't new car related at all but I need somewhere to complain.

Renting a Boxster off Turo in about 3 hours.
The host just called to tell me it was in an accident and is still in the shop. Only thing available in their fleet is... A fuckin' Q7 😐

Tried looking at what other convertibles are available on such short notice; nothing but a C7 and a C8 for 4x the price of the Boxster.

Ugh lol.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

This isn't new car related at all but I need somewhere to complain.

Renting a Boxster off Turo in about 3 hours.
The host just called to tell me it was in an accident and is still in the shop. Only thing available in their fleet is... A fuckin' Q7 😐

Tried looking at what other convertibles are available on such short notice; nothing but a C7 and a C8 for 4x the price of the Boxster.

Ugh lol.

You should feel like you dodged a bullet because I had a TERRIBLE experience with Turo, and it seems not uncommon.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Turo is basically AirBnB for cars, yeah?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think it’s pretty high variance. I had a great experience when I rented an E91 to make sure I wanted the platform before buying, the guy I rented from even let me store my motorcycle in his garage while I had his car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

Turo is basically AirBnB for cars, yeah?

Correct, yea.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, but when it goes wrong it can really go wrong. I wouldn't even consider it unless I paid for the full coverage on damage (which doubles the cost of the rental).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but when it goes wrong it can really go wrong. I wouldn't even consider it unless I paid for the full coverage on damage (which doubles the cost of the rental).

Yeah absolutely. I’d never consider it for like a replacement to times I would rent a normal rental. For me it (and the motorcycle equivalent) are just for when I want a new experience for the weekend.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A little mini vacation to rural rear end North Carolina seemed like a good opportunity to rent something I could realistically afford to own one day. It was cheaper than a "Corolla or equivalent" from a regular rental place.

Humph.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just make sure your insurance would cover it if you got into an accident because many will not, and the credit card coverage DEFINITELY does not apply to Turo.

My rental was damaged after I returned it (to the tune of >5k and also they decided it was a great opportunity to replace the windshield that had a previous chip and blame it on me), and Turo decided I'm responsible for anything that happens to the car for ~24 hours after I return it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

A little mini vacation to rural rear end North Carolina seemed like a good opportunity to rent something I could realistically afford to own one day. It was cheaper than a "Corolla or equivalent" from a regular rental place.

Humph.

Yeah that sucks. But uh take the wagon ;)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

It’s this I had a not good experience with Turo and coverage.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yes for purposes of Real Insurance via your personally owned vehicle coverage or credit card coverage, Turo is very much considered Not A Rental Car Company.

I looked into hosting a car on there, it looks brutal to make any money, your daily amount has to be set super low to compete with the saturated listings, or you can set it high and get no rentals.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 26, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I had a car that was nice enough that someone would be interested in renting it from me, I would not want to rent it to them without a security deposit for the replacement value, in cash.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Everything I've read about Turo screams massive downside. I'd rather pay at one of those rent-an-exotic places for a beat-to-poo poo GTR or something if I ever felt like it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've never looked into Turo (since its not available where I live to begin with), but I always assumed it had an insurance "built-in" like Air BnB?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Based on this singular experience, yea, not keen to use it again.

That said, the cooled seats were a nice thing to have on this 95° day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've never looked into Turo (since its not available where I live to begin with), but I always assumed it had an insurance "built-in" like Air BnB?

For the person who owns the car (in theory), not for the person who rents the car. You have to pay extra for that.

And by extra, I mean literally double.