Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
My air conditioner is really loving loud because it's breaking. Which is worse for bunnies, heat or noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

My air conditioner is really loving loud because it's breaking. Which is worse for bunnies, heat or noise?

If they aren't freaked out by the noise then don't worry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

I would think noise, to a certain point. It drives Ella mad when there's construction by me, and it drives me nuts too. What temperature does it get up to in their room at the worst?

I'd invest in a window fan, then some hard plastic refreezable cool packs. Stuff the cold pack in a thick sock or two, then tie it in a pillowcase. That should keep bunnies from nibbling too much, and keep it from causing frostbite if they lean against it. Ella hangs out next to hers occasionally if I put it next to her water dish. Provide lots of fresh water. I also give Ella a cube of watermelon to keep her hydrated, she loves the stuff. Not too much though, as it's got a lot of sugar.

I would not recommend ice water specifically, as the temperature might dissuade them from drinking, but I see Ella drinking out of the common dish I have out for all the pets when I throw in an ice cube to cool it down, so who knows. I just know that too much ice water can be a shock to the system.

Ella lives mostly on a big screened-in patio with a fan running and a water feature she hangs out next to when it's really stinkin hot. She's best buddies with the Lion Fountain.

Trabisnikof posted:

If they aren't freaked out by the noise then don't worry.

There's that too. How bad is the noise? Like a rattle, or the AC Death Scream?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Depends on the bunny. Heat is always bad but some bunnies have no issues with noise (mine were like this)

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
I attacked the air conditioner with duct tape and 75% fixed the noise so it should be fine now. Thanks, though!

JULIAN ASSANGE fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 28, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Harriet went and got fixed yesterday. The Vet decided that Harriet needed to look pretty when Daddy came to get her.

She disagreed.

(Side note, I found the remains of the ribbon at the foot of my bed this morning. Also, I now am bleeding from my attempt to give her the pain meds)

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Picked up a new foster, lady found him on a soccer field while she was out walking her dog.

She tried taking him to an emergency vet, but they only treat animals, they do not keep them.

This little guy is doing a lot better, but hes still super thin.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aw, good luck with the foster! He's adorable.

Meanwhile, Ella keeps cool in the splash of the fountain.

bunnyofdoom posted:

(Side note, I found the remains of the ribbon at the foot of my bed this morning. Also, I now am bleeding from my attempt to give her the pain meds)

I had a similar issue. I asked my vet what to do, Vet said, "Then she probably does not need pain meds."

The hardest part was keeping her cooped up for a week. Such a MAD BUNNY.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 29, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet went and got fixed yesterday. The Vet decided that Harriet needed to look pretty when Daddy came to get her.

She disagreed.

It's just really hard to take a mad bunny seriously.

Especially in your case, where she looks like a cartoon animal.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Aw, good luck with the foster! He's adorable.

Meanwhile, Ella keeps cool in the splash of the fountain.

I had a similar issue. I asked my vet what to do, Vet said, "Then she probably does not need pain meds."

The hardest part was keeping her cooped up for a week. Such a MAD BUNNY.

Harriet likes keeping cool by jumping in my parents' pond when I let her frolic in their garden.

Hardest part for me is giving her pain meds. I wore a t-shirt...... So, she actually drew blood with her claws. She does not trust me.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

She disagreed.

I have never seen a bun so angry before. :allears:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I made a gate for the top of my stairs last night so that I can keep my bun's cage and pen open and let her have free reign of my bedroom while I'm asleep. I gave it a trial run last night, and she didn't appear to destroy anything while I was sleeping. She had no idea what to think about it and was kind of insane for a bit while I was trying to fall asleep, but she eventually settled down.

This morning once my alarm went off, she ran up and jumped on my bed and got all in my face. She wanted FOOD!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Does anyone know any recipes for fried rabbit?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 9, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

[Timg] http://imgur.com/8osvdf8[/timg]

Picture error....

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I give my bunny more freedom, and she thanks me by being SO NAUGHTY.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Higher voltage cables

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

baby bunnies?

baby bunnies.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Fraction posted:

baby bunnies?

baby bunnies.

SNUGGLE THEM ALLLLLLLLL

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
My bunny has developed a weird love of the bay windows in my apartment. This is really unexpected because there's a hawk nest on the roof of my building, of which I'm on the top floor. She must see the hawks flying around all day long, but they don't scare her in the slightest?

The only explanation I can think of is I read that white bunnies need to sunbathe for vitamin D or something. But that doesn't explain why she still loves to hang out there at night.

Taking a nap in her "chicken pose"

This was when she first grew big enough to jump up on my bed. I used to leave her in the bedroom with the cage open so she could have more space to run around when I'm out, with the understanding that she was too small to jump up on my bed and pee on it. When I walked in and found her there, I had such a feeling of dread:

But it was unfounded. She hasn't been pooping or peeing.

Hong Kong bunny life

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Awesome view + bunny <3

I'm still waiting for mine to return to me. She's still at my parents house while we sort out the garden, as her hutch + run is too big with all the rubble in it at the moment. I don't know the exact dimensions but the run is connected to her hutch, and I, at 5'1 can lay down in the run with at least a foot's space either end of me and a good 3ft from the side, and then the hutch is connected via a tunnel that can be closed off if we need, so let's say it's about 7 or 8ft long plus the 5ft high hutch.

ANYWAY, I got a call off my Mum yesterday saying Juppo had made a bid for freedom when she went to feed her. Apparently all she did was run round and round her house until Mum finally caught her. Can't wait to have her back here, just sad she isn't gonna be a permanent house rabbit. At least my garden is walled off so she can roam supervised when it's fully cleared out. I want her in the house when winter comes though. Feel bad for it having to be like that for her but she seems to like being outside and happily binkies up and down.

With it getting warm as heck is it worth getting my parents to stick a few ice packs wrapped in towels in her house and run? She's in the shade a lot but still. Wanting to get her a friend when she moves back but not sure how to go about it aside from I know I wanna adopt.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
He had an emergency being partially crushed by a wobbly refrigerator and had to have his tail amputated. After shaving his butt to do the surgery, the vet discovered a pair of little baby bunny balls so... oops. He's a male.

I now have to force feed him medicines twice a day for a week. I've saved his life, but now he hates me forever because I have to catch him and force foul tasting things down his throat. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

He had an emergency being partially crushed by a wobbly refrigerator and had to have his tail amputated. After shaving his butt to do the surgery, the vet discovered a pair of little baby bunny balls so... oops. He's a male.

I now have to force feed him medicines twice a day for a week. I've saved his life, but now he hates me forever because I have to catch him and force foul tasting things down his throat. :(

Welcome to bunny ownership

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So adorably grumpy-looking.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Sapphire is at the vets. Her breathing is extremely laboured and she is very lethargic. She went yesterday and we brought her home and I spent all night syringe feeding her every two hours. Took her back in the morning. She is on a drip at the moment.

I am preparing for The Call as there has been no change in 24 hours. Was heartbreaking listening to her wheezing all through the night.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Operation Juicebox posted:

Sapphire is at the vets. Her breathing is extremely laboured and she is very lethargic. She went yesterday and we brought her home and I spent all night syringe feeding her every two hours. Took her back in the morning. She is on a drip at the moment.

I am preparing for The Call as there has been no change in 24 hours. Was heartbreaking listening to her wheezing all through the night.

poo poo, I hope Sapphire is ok.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Hope Sapphire is ok <3

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
She passed away today.

Rest in peace Sapphy, you were a good girl and I will miss your grumpy face.

Operation Juicebox fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 28, 2014

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Operation Juicebox posted:

She passed away today.

Rest in peace Sapphy, you were a good girl and I will miss your grumpy face.

Condolences :(

I finally got Cilantro in to see the pre-eminent bunny doc in town. Her regular vet for the last year or so works with and was trained by him but has waaaaay less small animal experience. He took one look at her and knew the two things that are wrong with her: she's slightly arthritic in both hips, one more so than the other, and she's 1 lb overweight! Both are contributing to her messy cecal situation.

We've started cutting back her greens a smidge and we've reduced her pellets by half.

Here she is currently hating life:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Welp, Harriet has finally figured out how to get back at me for locking in her cage at 6am when she starts to make noise. Her cage came with a metal hay ball with a bell attached by a chain. She has ignored it for two and a half years. Last week, every day at 6:30am, after I had gone back to bed, a chorus of "THUNK THUNK THUNK, tinkletinkletinkle, THUNKTHUNKTHUNK" begins. Who needs an alarm clock when they have a vengenful bunny.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about Sapphire, man. :(

bunnyofdoom posted:

Welp, Harriet has finally figured out how to get back at me for locking in her cage at 6am when she starts to make noise. Her cage came with a metal hay ball with a bell attached by a chain. She has ignored it for two and a half years. Last week, every day at 6:30am, after I had gone back to bed, a chorus of "THUNK THUNK THUNK, tinkletinkletinkle, THUNKTHUNKTHUNK" begins. Who needs an alarm clock when they have a vengenful bunny.

It's also because of the pink bow and you know it.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Our bunny ate half a chocolate biscuit and seems totally fine aside from being a tornado of bunny destruction from 4am - 9am, at which case he slept for the rest of the day.

Just climbing into everything, licking our faces, jumping around and sprinting about the entire apartment like a cartoon character.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We'll I'm screwed.

My last remaining rabbit, Lils, decided that she wanted to get sick and has gotten a nice case of head tilt and nystagmus, so of course the vet said she had e. Cunniculi. I leave for my wedding in Puerto Rico in 2 days and I'm gone for 3 weeks.

I also just sunk every spare cent I had into a new restaurant and resigned from my job. So I can't board her at the vet. I can't trust any of my idiot friends to syringe feed her 4 times a day like I am doing and give her panacur doses.

I contacted the one rabbit rescue around here to see if they can take her with a donation of all her boxes of food, hay, alfalfa and medication, but if they can't take her I don think I have any other choice but to euthanize her. Stupid rabbit and her stupid getting sick right before we leave. This is the 3rd time one of our rabbits has decided to get sick right before we leave for somewhere.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
God drat rabbits, stop getting sick and not making it. :(

In good news, my foster bunny is living life large. And by that I mean peeing on my tile floors every time he can. There is NOTHING wrong with his cage, he just hops right out, scampers over to my fridge, and pees in front of it. And then hops back to his cage to await his pellets.

Oh and speaking of which, dr wanted some weight put on (he is probably 4-5 years old), so he gets pellets all the god damned time. Still pees on the floor. :mad:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well the rabbit rescues have turned her down saying she is too much of a risk to the current herds who live there. I have an appointment tomorrow with the vet to euthanize her. I tried to snuggle her tonight and she did what she normally does, bite the ever loving poo poo out of me.

I loved you, you stupid hateful bunny. God speed to your next incarnation.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

god dammit why do bunnies have to be so cute and die all the time

there is no :( big enough

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Goodbye Lils. You are under the tree in the backyard with your best friend tubbs now. I will miss you. I miss all my bunnies.

Thank you thread for being a source of knowledge over the past 5 years and being so supportive as I lost all 3 of my girls. I wish you all well I the future.

These were my bunnies.

The tan one was Sascha.
The grayish one was Tubbs
The white one was Lils.

All back together now.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 2, 2014

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Goodbye Lils. You are under the tree in the backyard with your best friend tubbs now. I will miss you. I miss all my bunnies.

Thank you thread for being a source of knowledge over the past 5 years and being so supportive as I lost all 3 of my girls. I wish you all well I the future.

These were my bunnies.

The tan one was Sascha.
The grayish one was Tubbs
The white one was Lils.

All back together now.

They're so loving cute. :( I'm so sorry you lost all 3 of them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm so sorry for you loss, especially at this time. You did right by her and all your buns even if it doesn't seem like it right now. Head tilt is nasty and neither of mine made a fully recovery. The level of care she would have needed while you were gone would have been too high for anyone who isn't a bunny master, and her passing peacefully in your arms was the last kindness you could do for her.

I hope that you are able to enjoy your wedding with your evil darlings all looking down on you. Message me if you need any support, I would be glad to listen even if it's just a message to get things off your chest.

You were a great bunny owner and they are all lucky to have had you. Be well :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Thanks Luscious, but I actually feel like I'm in a good place now.

The one thing I regret with our first E. Cuniculi is dragging it out for months as she deteriorated more and more. With Lils because we were up against the hard deadline of our trip we had to mak the choice. The vet agreed with our choice because of how fast she had gotten sick and how much weight she had lost so quickly.

Being in our own house and being able to bury her by Tubbs helped as well. It gave me the ability to do something physical and lasting gave me a good feeling of closure. I guess after losing one a year for the past 3 years we just were able to deal with this one a bit better.

I admit I cried a lot when she was euthanized and while I was driving home but by the time I had buried her and put a giant rock over her to protect from diggers I felt pretty good about the choice we made to minimize her suffering and close out the bunny era in our house.

Thank you for your kind words over the past 3 years. You are always a great supporter for people in this thread.