Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

NejD posted:

I may have gone a bit far/ indepth with that
I'd say so, yeah.

It feels like Inafune assumed this was gonna be a success because he figured everyone would want a new Mega Man game, so he felt like he could milk this out as long as possible and create a half-assed product while planning the course for future games. Luckily, it looks like that's never gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't think he intentionally half-assed it, I think he put the cart before the horse and got caught up in getting a foothold on the resulting franchise. He was a character designer, so he focused on designing characters and left the game design to other people.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
With the risk of giving this game too much credit, I think White is actually supposed to be the bad guy. Beck never confronted him, but IIRC, he didn't hear White doing any of his bad guy speech. So, Beck simple doesn't know White is a bad guy and White has currently gotten away with it. But then, who knows with this game? It is indeed not to unlikely that the writers didn't notice or care that they were making White sound like a villain.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
As far as twists go, making White the real villain is decent. It's handled completely half assed, but the core idea isn't bad.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Just in time for the end of the LP, Stop Skeletons From Fighting (formerly The Happy Video Game Nerd) just did a very thoroughly-researched video on just what the gently caress happened with Mighty No. 9. Still watching it now, but they're always reliable for a good video as internet personalities go.

EDIT: Turns out the video's just about all the baffling poo poo surrounding and leading up to the game's release, no mention of why the game itself is so terrible.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 6, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

Hey, f'real: Archie's Mega Man comic kind of did a cool thing with this. Mega Man insists on "saving" all the Robot Masters by capturing their personality processors so Dr. Light can program the evil out of them, but the Wily Original Robot Masters were intended for combat first and foremost, so most of them end up having a crisis of identity. Some of them agree to have their combat functions repurposed for industrial applications, but others are like "seriously what the gently caress are you gonna do with my power" and opt to be shut down permanently.

Archie comics has done a lot of things with the megaman IP.

Blorp.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just getting around to watching the final video; even with my low expectations I couldn't believe how dull the final stage is, how uninteresting the final boss was, and how there's like no real ending at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fiendly posted:

Just in time for the end of the LP, Stop Skeletons From Fighting (formerly The Happy Video Game Nerd) just did a very thoroughly-researched video on just what the gently caress happened with Mighty No. 9. Still watching it now, but they're always reliable for a good video as internet personalities go.

EDIT: Turns out the video's just about all the baffling poo poo surrounding and leading up to the game's release, no mention of why the game itself is so terrible.

well i mean, all the baffling poo poo probably had something to do with that

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CommissarMega posted:

One thing I'm curious about- would MN 9 have been better received had it been released way back when after the last Megaman game?

It would have been even more poorly received if an actual Megaman game was fresh in people's minds.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I really like how the difficulty of the final level doesn't come from ferocious enemies or platforming challenges but from large blocks that just can decide to respawn or not

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I should probably say too that Zain's performance was unusually good for a first time as well. Most other vids have the fight be a complete and utter slog.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
oh right, before this thread is totally dead due to the game being finished,

Zain posted:

Backers/Kickstarters
Man! What kind of idiot would have possibly backed this kind of project... Me... I did, 175 dollars worth too you shithead. I've accepted this loss of both my innocence and money. Don't need to rub it in. We should instead be thoughtful and realize that sometimes kickstarters aren't really what we thought they were. That we shouldn't really get swept up in the hype. If someone promises

OP has a missing sentence? "If someone promises" what?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bruceski posted:

I don't think he intentionally half-assed it, I think he put the cart before the horse and got caught up in getting a foothold on the resulting franchise. He was a character designer, so he focused on designing characters and left the game design to other people.

Problem is that the characters and the writing are horrid too. It could maybe be forgiven if the characters were interesting, but holy balls are they not that great.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, you all just know that if there ever is a sequel, the plot will be Blackwell/cartoonishly evil man whose name I forgot deciding that robots without "hearts" are superior, making a bunch of ethics-free ones armed to the teeth, and then doing a Dr. Wily (or being surprised when one of the robots decides it's only logical that it should take over the world). White will then have to show everyone about the power of friendship by ordering Beck to save the day.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Blackwell/cartoonishly evil man whose name I forgot deciding that robots without "hearts" are superior,

They probably would be morally superior, since they wouldn't have actual personalities and emotions programmed into them, and form actual friendships, just to be forced to fight and destroy each other for human amusement. At least those "heartless" robots wouldn't be consciously, purposefully, aware of how hosed they are.

Seriously, Dr. White and Sanda, what the gently caress? Countershade was right in that the robots' situation is incredibly hosed up.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
At least there's still Shantae

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Schubalts posted:

They probably would be morally superior, since they wouldn't have actual personalities and emotions programmed into them, and form actual friendships, just to be forced to fight and destroy each other for human amusement. At least those "heartless" robots wouldn't be consciously, purposefully, aware of how hosed they are.

Seriously, Dr. White and Sanda, what the gently caress? Countershade was right in that the robots' situation is incredibly hosed up.

Seriously, the bots are explicitly designed to fight to the death for human amusement. There is no reason for them to have personalities or emotions other than a twisted desire that they actually feel fear and suffering. It's doubly hosed up given the personalities that White decided to give the robots. He made Beck a passivist, Avi a clown, and explicitly designed to #2 to have the personality and emotional development of a preschooler. Dude is completely warped.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still personally think the game has potential. A sequel would require a ton of touching up however. As I do enjoy the general gameplay.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still personally think the game has potential. A sequel would require a ton of touching up however. As I do enjoy the general gameplay.

Oh for sure the game had/has potential. It's just pretty much rushed and mismanaged.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Schubalts posted:

These violent delights have violent ends.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

These violent delights have violent ends.

My thoughts on Might No. 9? It doesn't look like anything to me.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Well it looks like I have a date for the Mighty No 9 Drunk Stream Challenge!!! (Name pending) Got the schedule for next week a whole DAY EARLY! I have Tuesday and Wednesday off so on December the 11th I'll be starting the stream. Time still undecided, but probably at 6ish MST.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Zain posted:

Well it looks like I have a date for the Mighty No 9 Drunk Stream Challenge!!! (Name pending) Got the schedule for next week a whole DAY EARLY! I have Tuesday and Wednesday off so on December the 11th I'll be starting the stream. Time still undecided, but probably at 6ish MST.

So the stream is on Sunday?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

What the gently caress was even this game, you tried to make it fun and I appreciate it but nothing could have made it fun.

One last thing, that is the laziest loving boss design for the last boss. That was the poo poo I doodled in high school, it even just disappeared into the wall and it lasted longer than it health bar and it was loving stupid. Jesus Christ.

You're alright Zain. But the next thing you lp has to be spectacular.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Congratulations on finishing the game, Zain. I remember watching the final video, and thinking 'This is it?' This game was just a complete nothing the whole way through, wasn't it?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I kind of dig the glitchy aesthetic Trinity has going on, but it doesn't really work when the rest of the game is also low-res glitchy poo poo.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Gamerofthegame posted:

At least there's still Shantae

Backer codes are being released as we speak for that, thank god. Too bad PS3/Vita versions are hard coded to not work until...like monday next week.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kemix posted:

Backer codes are being released as we speak for that, thank god. Too bad PS3/Vita versions are hard coded to not work until...like monday next week.

It's also extremely loving good.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

So the stream is on Sunday?

Oh poo poo! I hosed up. No it's Tuesday the 13th.

Also thank you all for the kind words. It means a lot when going through what this game as forced on me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I know many people feel let down/ripped-off from backing this Kickstarter, but compared to these Kickstarters, at least a game was made and released.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know many people feel let down/ripped-off from backing this Kickstarter, but compared to these Kickstarters, at least a game was made and released.

I'm still amazed that people thought Code Hero could possibly work.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just as a Heads up! The Drunk Mighty No 9 stream is going to be TODAY! At probably 7pm which is in 12 hours from this post. Please join in and appreciate me being a drunken jackass.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zain posted:

Just as a Heads up! The Drunk Mighty No 9 stream is going to be TODAY! At probably 7pm which is in 12 hours from this post. Please join in and appreciate me being a drunken jackass.

Well, this sounds good :unsmigghh:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Zain posted:

What timezone is that? Or. I guess I can just check the time on my post compare it to yours then add 12.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Drunk Theory posted:

What timezone is that? Or. I guess I can just check the time on my post compare it to yours then add 12.

I'm mountain no Daylight Savings Time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So 2 hours from now?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Bruceski posted:

So 2 hours from now?

Yep, get hyped

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Do you have a link to the stream?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Drunken Mighty No 9 Stream

Watch an idiot destroy his liver.

Done~!!! Thank you all for joining in.

Zain fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And it's done! Persistence, muscle memory, and an abusive backer-only weapon are surprisingly functional implements against drunkenness. Or maybe this just wasn't a long game. :shrug: Either way, thanks for the LP, and for showing off this...scatterbrained attempt at reclaiming the glory of Mega Man.

• Locked thread